Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2007, 08:40   #31
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
Many people in companies like HCL/TCS/Wipro etc., came on the "Rent an engineer cheap" route. They got something like 100-120$/day.
So they rented a 3 bedroom apartment(6-10 people) and returned to India with $$.
This sharing was not forced by the companies, not since 1993. At least with the big few, it is the employee who chooses to share house and car. More the greed, more sharing. For example, eventhough I went through TCS, I never shared my car, it was too personal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
No salaries in India you see?
I think this is a recent policy, it was not like that before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
In such a case I fail to see any difference between H1 or L1, except for that "spouse can work" advantage of L1.
L1 doesn't have annual cap or quota. There is no long waiting period, you can get L1 almost immediately as long as the company has blanket L1.

I have been on L1, but spouse can't work. This L1-A is something special.
Old 22nd August 2007, 08:41   #32
Team-BHP Support

Since we are talking of H1B here, a question from my end.

My wife was fortunate to get through the lottery process for the H1B, which was filed by one of the major Indian IT companies. Among the docs to be produced at the time of interview is the Birth Certificate, as per the mail which was sent out by the company.

I would like to know if it is actually required, or will the passport be sufficient proof of the same, as it also mentions the date as well as place of birth. She doesnt seem to have a birth certificate, and of it is required, we would need to procure one.

Thanks in advance, guys.
Old 22nd August 2007, 13:20   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
This sharing was not forced by the companies, not since 1993. At least with the big few, it is the employee who chooses to share house and car. More the greed, more sharing. For example, eventhough I went through TCS, I never shared my car, it was too personal.
I never said TCS etc., were responsible, it was the peoples choice. Many people I know did this live like an illegal for six months, then have fun in India thing.

Quote:

L1 doesn't have annual cap or quota. There is no long waiting period, you can get L1 almost immediately as long as the company has blanket L1.

I have been on L1, but spouse can't work. This L1-A is something special.
Spouse can work on L2 visa. You have to apply. It takes 4 months for the work permit to come though.
You can check the US Gov Visa website. They have clearly listed the procedure for getting a work permit for a L2 holder.
L1-A is different because under L1-A you can apply for a green card after 1 year. A
Old 22nd August 2007, 13:29   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Since we are talking of H1B here, a question from my end.

My wife was fortunate to get through the lottery process for the H1B, which was filed by one of the major Indian IT companies. Among the docs to be produced at the time of interview is the Birth Certificate, as per the mail which was sent out by the company.

I would like to know if it is actually required, or will the passport be sufficient proof of the same, as it also mentions the date as well as place of birth. She doesnt seem to have a birth certificate, and of it is required, we would need to procure one.

Thanks in advance, guys.
Passport may not suffice, the birth certificate is needed. I read in Hindu a couple of years back that the consulate is even insisting on birth certificatesl with name on it----mere mention of baby boy or girl born on xxx to xxx and yyy parents would not do.
I panicked, as both my kids don't have their names on it. The article also said it is tough to get the name on the certificate if the kid is more than 16. I rushed to Vizag and got my daughter's name on it, but my son's certificate is still caught up in wrangles, and I have given up.
Sorry, I did not mean to scare you, but my son did not have even the municipal certificate, instead only a certificate from the Mandal Revenue Officer based on my affidavit.
So better rush up and get one done for your wife.
Old 22nd August 2007, 13:48   #35
Team-BHP Support

vnabhi, looks like you have me in jitters now.
Shall do the needful to try and procure one. Just hope its not going to make me run around the world to get it.
Old 22nd August 2007, 15:01   #36
BHPian

Quote:
vnabhi, looks like you have me in jitters now.
Shall do the needful to try and procure one. Just hope its not going to make me run around the world to get it.
@ ben it all depends on the visa officer. At times they ask you all the docs, and at times they hardly look into the docs. Also as ur wife to go tru BEP. My visa interview lasted less than 60sec and not a single doc was asked. O'coz i went tru BEP.
Old 22nd August 2007, 15:47   #37
Team-BHP Support

@jango, BEP stands for?
Her visa was initiated by her company, and i guess it would be them who would take care of all the processes till the interview.
Old 22nd August 2007, 17:47   #38
BHPian

Quote:
@jango, BEP stands for?
Business Express Program - For companies that routinely get visas done. I thought it was only for Business visas (B1)
Old 22nd August 2007, 18:13   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit View Post
Business Express Program - For companies that routinely get visas done. I thought it was only for Business visas (B1)
i think it's for businesses who routinely apply for visas (all types).

Bennie, this is a new thing, I came here last year after extending my H-1. and never had to show my birth certificate. I didn't have one at all.

msdivy, you can not join anothr company when on L1. hence Popularity of H-1.

Zappo, at least in infy, we got india salary too (till last year, then i quit). no resigning and stuff.

TSK*, i knew CA was costly, but 110K? i have lived in TX, PA, NY, OH, and 75K was enough to live respectably. of course in NY i never maintained a car. and was single, hence sharing aptt with my colleague.
Old 23rd August 2007, 08:25   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
i think it's for businesses who routinely apply for visas (all types).
So, my wife's firm (Infy) should be a part of this, i assume?!

Quote:
Bennie, this is a new thing, I came here last year after extending my H-1. and never had to show my birth certificate. I didn't have one at all.
Vivek, this was mentioned as important in the mail which the company had sent out to employees whose visas had been filed successfully. I am assuming that the company in order to be on the safe side is asking employees to furnish the birth certificate too, while it neednt be enforced upon by the consulate guys. Decided to atleast 'try' to procure one, if it means more peace of mind.

Quote:
Zappo, at least in infy, we got india salary too (till last year, then i quit). no resigning and stuff.
Very true. My friends who were lucky to be onsite while i was at Infy used to make quite some dough through having their Indian salaries, as well as living miserly in the US. They came back to buy flats and cars in India... all thanks to the onsite funda.
Old 23rd August 2007, 08:55   #41
BHPian

Hmmm!! Too much of debates and questions.. I went to the US a direct employee of a US firm, they processed my visa through their attorney in the US and all I had to do was sign papers and send it back to them. Once the approval came, along with applied for H1 visa through VFS and did not even appear for interview, everything done through VFS, Bangalore. This was in 2002. Things have changed now.

On the work front I observed one thing common. I had friends who worked in a firm as direct employees. The same firm had some engineers from TCS/HCL. When ever we used to have parties on weekends, these TCS/HCL dudes will be sitting at the office while the direct employees will be chilling with us in parties. The reason is because those companies over commit and the employees have to slog while direct employees have the freedom to say, "Not possible" if it is not possible. I used to feel for those guys, who come to the US with dreams, but squeezed with work, no time for other activities. Vacation plans are generous in US companies, but these guys have much smaller plan. Medical Insurance, gym benefits, you name it, there is a distinct possibility of taken for a ride. Watch out for these things, negotiate and it can be fun afterwards.

BTW, I returned to India after a three year stint, and I do agree there is a subtle difference when there is an overseas experience in the resume. May be like 10-15% more than the peers, who stayed in India throughout. And at salary levels of 20+ lacs, it is substantial in Indian standards.

Nainar
Old 23rd August 2007, 13:35   #42
BHPian

Quote:
@jango, BEP stands for?
Her visa was initiated by her company, and i guess it would be them who would take care of all the processes till the interview.
@ Ben, BEP stands for Business Executive Programe. I am sure Infosys would be part of it. I had infact applied for B1, so not sure if BEP is applicable for H1-B, anyways you can find more info by visiting the below site [Q] Immigration Help - Green card, visas, Visitor Medical Insurance[/Q]
Old 23rd August 2007, 13:42   #43
BHPian

Hi everyone!!

My H1B visa got approved today .

Time for a farewell t-bhp meet perhaps?!?

Visa Officer who interviewed me today - "Ok Sir, Your visa is approved and you are good to go". God bless him.

Cheers to all

rev_hard
Old 23rd August 2007, 13:45   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rev_hard View Post
Hi everyone!!

My H1B visa got approved today .

Time for a farewell t-bhp meet perhaps?!?

Visa Officer who interviewed me today - "Ok Sir, Your visa is approved and you are good to go". God bless him.

Cheers to all

rev_hard
Congrats Rev !! Hope to see u come up with post on American Muscle cars !!
Old 23rd August 2007, 13:47   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jango View Post
Congrats Rev !! Hope to see u come up with post on American Muscle cars !!

Many thanks jango. I checked and found that 2007 mustang is available for rental @ $69 a day. not a bad deal for hiring over the weekend, eh?

Thanks again

rev

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks