Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2016, 03:35   #226
BHPian

Re: H1B visa -Your Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercFan View Post
Yes you can change your company. There are many consultants in the US who pick-up H1B visa holders and do the transfer. No, re-stamping is not required.
Is there any rule as you need to make first travel to US based on the company name in your Visa Page?
Also some of the indian cos don't give H1B petition until the day of travel. This is and HR policy for them to make sure employee don't change company until they travel. In such case the new employer will not be able to transfer visa to their name.
Old 4th April 2016, 13:40   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil_klm View Post
Is there any rule as you need to make first travel to US based on the company name in your Visa Page?
Also some of the indian cos don't give H1B petition until the day of travel. This is and HR policy for them to make sure employee don't change company until they travel. In such case the new employer will not be able to transfer visa to their name.
Irrespective of the Visa, you need a letter to travel to the US. B1, F1, H1, L1, J1 any visa, letter from the US entity is required.

Usually companies will not agree for H1 transfer, however if you are on bench with an H1 in your hand, then pay whatever the company asks and request for transfer.

Still if the company doesn't agree, find a job and you can work through the current company, workout a compensation strategy, no transfer required.
Old 4th April 2016, 15:17   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercFan View Post
Irrespective of the Visa, you need a letter to travel to the US.
True. My question is if i have visa stamped from XXX company and i shifted to company YYY before my travel. Though i can get my visa transferred to YYY, there is no change in visa stamping page and company name will be XXX. Will this hold me from traveling to US?
This was the justification given by a PM to a team member when he resigned after getting his visa stamped. I would take it with a pinch of salt.

Last edited by devil_klm : 4th April 2016 at 15:18.
Old 4th April 2016, 15:44   #229
BHPian

Quote:
True. My question is if i have visa stamped from XXX company and i shifted to company YYY before my travel. Though i can get my visa transferred to YYY, there is no change in visa stamping page and company name will be XXX. Will this hold me from traveling to US?
This was the justification given by a PM to a team member when he resigned after getting his visa stamped. I would take it with a pinch of salt.
Yes, it has to be done under the cap-exempt petition as you have never traveled to the US on the H1B.
Old 6th April 2016, 00:51   #230

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
1. You can transfer the visa to another employer and stamping is NOT required again.

2. This is about ethics, and you need to answer it your self!

Thanks JMaruru and MercFan for the inputs
Old 13th April 2016, 08:48   #231
naj
BHPian

H1B visa -Your Experience

Hi !!

This is not exactly related to H1B but about an issue after moving to the US on a H1B visa.
It's about Fbar filing.
Before moving to the US , a lot of people accumulate some wealth and investments from their Indian employment . Usually at the time of moving , the portfolio remains invested in India . This wealth has no US connection as far as origination is concerned .

Question - Pls Gurus guide if H1B's have to -
1) Declare all such Indian accounts / info during first year of moving and thereafter every year in the FBAR even if the earnings were done in India before moving and working in an Indian Co .
2) Declare any interest earned on that income ( which was earned when working in India) and pay the taxes on that in the US.

If anyone can guide on this , will be very helpful .
Thanks -

Last edited by naj : 13th April 2016 at 08:50.
Old 14th April 2016, 12:25   #232
BHPian

Now that the lottery is completed, what are the expected timelines for notifications of the successful candidates, premium and otherwise.
Old 2nd May 2016, 22:20   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roomy View Post
Now that the lottery is completed, what are the expected timelines for notifications of the successful candidates, premium and otherwise.
I got news from my son that some of his friends who applied through a company named Experis have already got information that their visas were picked in the lottery. Per him, around one-third of the total applications filed by that company were picked. And there could be still more as they get the information in lots spread over a time frame of a month and a half.

I believe the company got to know the first lot by checking the applicant ids of all the applications they filed daily.

Wish everyone the best of luck.
Old 3rd May 2016, 00:21   #234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roomy View Post
A friend got to know that his application got selected last week.
Old 6th May 2016, 14:27   #235
Senior - BHPian

My nephew got selected under the Master's category, per his chat today. I believe the data entry of those who got picked in the lottery was completed on May 2nd, and that receipt numbers will be mailed to attorneys in the next 2 or 3 weeks after May 2nd.

Let us see how things pan out.
Old 6th May 2016, 14:33   #236
BHPian

one trick to find out whether you have been picked up in the lottery is to check where the cheque(s) for processing have been cashed. If they have, then you have been selected and you will get details by snail mail if you have not opted for premium processing.
Old 13th May 2016, 18:53   #237
BHPian

Happy to inform that i got picked up in lottery. Got intimation from my employer last Monday. I hold an H4 visa now. Will it be canceled if i get my H1B stamped?
Old 30th May 2016, 14:49   #238
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I have few questions.
  1. What is the difference between "in cap" and "out of cap" applications for H1B?
  2. I hear that, if you want to work for a non-profitable organisation (like a university) in US, you could get the visa(H1B?) without going through the lottery system. If that's right what is the procedure?
  3. The recent amendment on H4 Employment Authorization seems to be only for people whose spouses have applied for green card and waiting approval. Atleast that is what I understood after reading couple of articles. Or is there any other side to it?
  4. I would also like to know what are the options available for a H4 dependant to get work authorisation in US. Like, finding a employer after coming to US and then applying for H1B though them. Or filing for H1B on own expense, etc ?

Please throw some light on this. It will be really helpful.

Thank you.
Old 28th November 2016, 15:39   #239
Team-BHP Support

Looks like H1-B visa may soon become history... or at least change drastically.

http://www.livemint.com/Opinion/rEL3...ald-Trump.html
Old 5th January 2017, 13:45   #240
BHPian

Re: Emigrating to a Foreign Land! Worth it?

Quote:
I got H1B and planing to shift to Chicago around April. This is sponsored by my company. I heard rumors such as Trump is coming up with a new rule to increase salary of employees under H1B. So the Indian IT companies are calling back employees with higher experience and band back to India. Anyone else came across same?
Congress has just re tabled a bill asking to increase the minimum wage for H1B to $100,000 from the current $60/65k. Last time around it was shot down as it met with lot of opposition. Not sure what will happen this time.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/b...w/56349877.cms

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks