Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2019, 19:06   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Your favourite automotive memories from the younger years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
That was one of my favourite ads too. I still remember the last line:

"Dunlop is Dunlop, Always Ahead"
Cool! The background music from the ad is playing in my head ever since I typed the post. I can sing the tune, but can't put it here. I searched YouTube but couldn't find the ad. If you do, please share.

Also that was the very program where they introduced their Spectra-wide tyres and the associated ad campaign. I was in 2nd standard then, yet vividly remember the ads.

Sorry for the OT!
rrsteer is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2019, 19:54   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Cool! The background music from the ad is playing in my head ever since I typed the post. I can sing the tune, but can't put it here. I searched YouTube but couldn't find the ad. If you do, please share.

Also that was the very program where they introduced their Spectra-wide tyres and the associated ad campaign. I was in 2nd standard then, yet vividly remember the ads.

Sorry for the OT!
Even I can't find the ad, but the music is taken from this album

comfortablynumb is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2019, 10:49   #18
Senior - BHPian

Have always been an petrol head as long as I remember, but few things made me take interest even more. One of it was Need For Speed II, used to compare the specs of the car to know why one was faster than the other. Other memory was looking at the speedometer of parked car to see which one had the highest mark
giri1.8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2019, 11:08   #19
BHPian

Growing up in a small town and being from a middle class family, we never owned a car. Probably because of that my growing up years doesn't have a memory where I was in love with any car in the market. Partially because there was never a thought of buying one.

But the first time a car 'wow'ed me was back in 1996 - Maruti Esteem. It looked different from the other cars i had seen on road till then. Obviously, HM ambassador, Premier Padmini/118NE and Maruti 800/ zen. This was the first time i started thinking about owning a car.

Then came the two cars which made significant impact in me w.r.t interest in cars.
1. Ford Ikon
2. Hyundai Accent

These were the ultimate affordable cars back then in early 2000s.

Then there was Tata Sierra and Daewoo Cielo which were totally in another league for me.

PS: my family later owned a pre-ownedMaruti Esteem. Had fond memories of that car

Last edited by Lambydude : 23rd November 2019 at 11:20.
Lambydude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2019, 11:36   #20
BHPian

In my childhood days, GTA San Andreas and Midtown Madness were my favorite games.
I still remember more routes of GTA San Andreas than that of Delhi.

Another memory that I still cherish is of our Maruti 800. I was absolutely in love with that car. Even after owning other cars I insisted my father drop me to school in the 800 till class 12th. Call me old school . I wish we could keep the car longer but Delhi has the 15-year rule.

This is the last picture I clicked.
Still looking pretty after 14 years.
Attached Thumbnails
Your favourite automotive memories from the younger years?-20180307_163503__01.jpg  

Bhatia.D17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2019, 17:55   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhatia.D17 View Post
I still remember more routes of GTA San Andreas than that of Delhi.
Hahaha! I vividly remember the maps of GTA V better than half of Bangalore's routes!
Old 23rd November 2019, 19:30   #22

My early automotive memories in the 80's were:
1. Playing in around my Dad's Willy's Jeep.
2. Traveling in my Uncle's Morris Minor and getting off the car whenever it stopped and wouldn't start.
3. The sound of a Yezdi bike that is so far away.
4. The vehicles in my town were all Jeeps, Premier Padmini, Standard Herald, Ambassador and a rare to be seen Contessa.

Those were the days when everybody had time, if you met your friend driving the opposite side, you would converse with him on the middle of the road without even getting off the car.
mbsomanna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2019, 20:06   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
That era saw cars with character (Tata Sierra anyone?).

-
Oh, that Sierra! I loved its design, it was so futuristic even that time. How I wish TAMO brings back Sierra in its new avatar without changing its core design.
VJ05 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2019, 21:28   #24
BHPian

Was reading all of your post and felt really nostalgic. There are many fond memories of mine as well but the best one would be the days when one of my Drunkards Mamaji would start a TATA truck (don’t exactly remember the model) with a NAIL yes NAIL because my grandfather won’t give him the keys and would take us to meet his girlfriend. How me n my cousins loved to ride on the back of the truck lol

And right after reading this post I found an interesting recommendation on my YouTube feed and I thought of sharing it with you guys because it some how relates to the post. Just my point of view.

A video from this side of the COUNTRY
Nagaland.

Cheers.
Tulok.
Tulok is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2019, 11:04   #25
BHPian

Wow, very nice thread!

Here goes:
- Waiting for my Dad to come home with the latest Autocar magazine (3 year old me couldn't read, but, drooling I did on those car photographs)

- Hailing from a TELCO family, we had friends of Dad coming in Tata Sierra and Estate. And always pester them to take me on rides in the Sierra backseat. Getting in and out was my favourite task!

- My Mama's friend had a Daewoo dealership. And his favourite car was a Red colour Matiz with, wait for it, 6 CD changer! So futuristic it was.

- Visiting Tata Sumo line and being awed by the cycle time of production of those beasts. The line managers told us they roll out 1 Sumo every 70 seconds and young me would make a resolve, I would work in this amazing company some day (a promise I fulfilled).

- I used to suck at console games but when NFS and RoadRash were introduced on PC, I aced them, so much so, that in College level races, I used to have a podium finish.

- As many of you mentioned, sneak away outside the house to sit in my Nana's 118NE, making Vroom Vroom noise, till the whole family who were looking for me, found me in the car.

- Being able to identify Cielo and Nexia separately and being super proud of it!

Last edited by turbospooler : 24th November 2019 at 11:07.
turbospooler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 22:39   #26
BHPian

Nostalgia!

- Paddling my 4 wheel Tobu round the house. Heck, it even had seat adjustment - 4 different position where you can bolt on the seat.
- Drives within Gujarat in our Morris Minor with my grandparents. They regaling me with their travel exploits across India
- Abdul - our driver pouring into the engine bay at every stop while we fuelled ourselves with mandatory 'Ganthiyas' when he as busy with his chores.
- My father cranking our Morris Minor with a 'Handle'
- My first real drive - Maruit 800. Oh how I miss that car!
pinin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 19:48   #27
BHPian

To me, it was the TATA Estate. A bit of fascination for this estate car was due to the advertisement where the driver forgets his hat on the roof and finds it intact after a drive.
King_pin09 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 19:56   #28
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbsomanna View Post
My early automotive memories in the 80's were
Typical Coffee/ Tea Plantation life.
A mirror of my experiences is what you have written here. I lament the loss of those lovely old days of the 1970’s and 1980’s - even upto and including the 1990’s.
Yes there was such courtesy in those days. We knew all the cars on the road and their owners and yes of course we used to stop and have a chat. Honking twice to thank someone who gave you right of way while ascending or descending a hill.
That Yezdi sound. Still fresh in my head. There is a neighbour here in BLR who rides a Roadking once in a while. Just takes me back to those days. Fiats, Heralds, Gazels, Ambassadors and Willis and Mahindra Jeeps and Massey Ferguson Tractors were all familiar sights. Coming back from the Club late at night with one’s parents, with us kids in the back seat - nice and cold and we used to think the Moon was following us.
That was a good life indeed.

Last edited by GTO : 21st December 2019 at 07:25. Reason: Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks!
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 19:59   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice thread, thanks!

When I grew up as a young lad (1960-70) my dad owned several DKWs. In those days there were few motorways in the Netherlands. And owning your own car, was not for everybody. Probably half the families in our street did not own a car.

So family outings in the car was a huge thing and usually considered a major expedition too. My three sister would pile into the rear seat and I would sit in my mum’s lap. Nobody had heard of seatbelt in those days, let alone airbags.

My dad was not interested in cars, but I was from early on. Now and then he would take me with him in the DKW. We would drive to some large parking lot. My dad would put me in his lap and I was allowed to steer the car whilst he still operated the pedals.

Nice, warm memories!
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2019, 20:02   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice thread ! And some of my memories:

1. A late evening ride in the late-70's from my maternal grand parents' village to a neighboring village about 12 km away. There was a wedding in the family, and had to do a pick up. Cars were rare back then, and this car was possibly the good ol Morris Minor. Just wanted to go in the car, and I had hopped in. All dark outside - life used to quieten down by 8, and the 3 villages we passed through just had a couple of dim street lights. The headlights of the car, just make-do.

2. Another wedding time, latter half of the 70's. My paternal grand-parents place. This time a Premier that belonged to our relative who had come for the wedding. We kids got into the parked car. I was sitting in the driver seat, and pressing the pedals and turning the steering wheel, imitating driving. There was a mild slope, and needless to say, the car moved forward. There was another vehicle parked a little away, and we were slowly approaching that one. Neither me nor my cousins realised that, but some folks who saw the movement came up, and pushed the car back. Of course, we got out and scampered.

3. Again, my maternal grand-parents place. Same time period. I used to spend my summer holidays there. Harvesting had been done, and we had to move the cut stalks of jowar plants back home to be used as fodder. We had two tractors in the extended family, and one was called for this duty. Everyone had already reached the farm where harvesting had been done, and some one had to guide my uncle and the tractor to this farm. I said I know the place, and hopped on to the tractor. The route I asked my uncle to take was not the shortest one, and we ended up having to go thru the bullock-cart paths through others' fields. At one point, there was a raised section and the attachment at the back of the tractor was getting stuck . My uncle ended up having to dig open the obstructing section. We reached late, past sunset. Wasnt a great feeling being scolded by the elders

Many more, some small - like the smell of diesel from the exhaust of the city bus.

Waving at the bus drivers who used to drive the routes to our area. Friendly folks them. With less number of buses, these used to be crowded in the evening time. I used to get in through the front door, make my way thru the crowd and plonk myself behind the driver's seat, standing there holding the seat for balance. I used to have that spot for myself - the section in front of the partition between the first row of seats and the driver's seat.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks