Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2020, 06:56   #76

Re: The Everyday Carry Thread - What do you carry with you everyday?

ATH M50 X Over The Year Headphones
Apple Air Pods
WalWallet Ninja 2.0 (Advanced 20-in-1 Multitool,) (Black)
Chewing Gum
Keysmart Key Organizer
Oakley X
Subaru Keys
Firestarter - Light My Fire Firesteel
Camillus Folding Titanium Knife
Loaded Edge Tactical Whistle SOS Edition
Thrunite Tactical Military Flashlight
Raven Leather Wallet
G SHOCK MUDMAN Solar - Tactical Edition
Organic Lip Balm - Cannabis Edition
Attached Thumbnails
The Everyday Carry Thread - What do you carry with you everyday?-img_20200410_211319.jpg  

Old 18th July 2020, 21:34   #77
BHPian

Need - A nail clipper for the daily.

Solution - Victorinox 580

The Everyday Carry Thread - What do you carry with you everyday?-vic-530.jpg

Received it today and promptly added to my car key.

Pros - Lots of tools in a small package.

Cons - Everything is tiny.

But then again its supposed to help out during those moments when you realize, you haven't cut the nails at home or for those stray hangnails or chipped nails. There are two other versions:

1. Wooden Scales - Looses out on tooth pick and tweezers
2. Solid Red Scales - Don't look as cool as the transparent scales

Last edited by roamer012 : 18th July 2020 at 21:46.
roamer012 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 07:21   #78
BHPian

Latest Addition - Gerber Armbar Drive Multi-Tool

This is one of the hottest selling tools from Gerber in the recent past.

The Everyday Carry Thread - What do you carry with you everyday?-img_5943.jpg

As soon as I was able to locate one on an Indian e-commerce platform, I checked the pricing premium compared to the US pricing of the same and pulled the trigger.

This is a nifty tool to edc and accepts standard hex bits while giving you a grip of a full-size screwdriver (This is one of the prime selling points for this). The blade is super sharp from the box and the flat end of the tool comes in handy as hammer. All the tools have stonewash / distressed finish which looks really nice in person as compared to the chrome or brushed finish on most tools in this range.

The Everyday Carry Thread - What do you carry with you everyday?-img_5944.jpg
The Everyday Carry Thread - What do you carry with you everyday?-img_5945.jpg

List of 8 tools as offered are as below:
  1. Blade
  2. Scissors
  3. Awl
  4. Screwdriver - Flathead
  5. Screwdriver - Phillips head
  6. Hammer
  7. Pry Bar
  8. Bottle Opener
The Everyday Carry Thread - What do you carry with you everyday?-img_5946.jpg
Last three are combined into one
The Everyday Carry Thread - What do you carry with you everyday?-img_5948.jpg

There is another version of the same - Gerber Armbar Cork Multi-Tool which is targeted more towards cork, package, and foil opening and gives you a cork opener (as the name suggests) in place of the screw driver.

The colors are more vibrant as opposed to the display on e-commerce sites.

Last edited by roamer012 : 6th November 2020 at 07:46.
roamer012 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 08:49   #79
BHPian

I generally carry just my watch, wallet, and the phone. Some stuff like charging cable, water bottle is kept in the car.

I see a lot of people carrying various multipurpose tools on a daily basis, which I don’t understand.

Pardon my ignorance, but can some kind soul shed light on the practical usages of these tools in a daily scenario. In a way, if you have to convince a fellow mate, what will be the arguments?
Abhineet Singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 09:25   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhineet Singh View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but can some kind soul shed light on the practical usages of these tools in a daily scenario. In a way, if you have to convince a fellow mate, what will be the arguments?
Speaking for myself, while I do not carry a multi-tool daily, I do carry a pocket knife which has come to use countless number of times. I rotate between the Spyderco Efficient and the Kershaw Link.

Cutting packages, foodstuff related packaging, fruits, and other bits and bobs come up surprisingly often in my life and I find myself using the knife much more often that I would have given credit for. I have also found it to be useful when doing some minor work on my car. I do plan to introduce Leatherman or Gerber multitool soon though, just that I want to get them from the US since the same models are horribly overpriced in India.

At the end of the day, as far as I am concerned, carrying a blade/ multitool gives me a peace of mind which is hard to explain. Cannot say that these are massively strong arguments, but I guess it is just a personal preference. Last but not the least, in a cinch, a blade will also come in use in an extreme self defense scenario.
arindambasu13 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 12:52   #81
BHPian

Quote:
can some kind soul shed light on the practical usages of these tools in a daily scenario. In a way, if you have to convince a fellow mate, what will be the arguments?
Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
At the end of the day, as far as I am concerned, carrying a blade/ multitool gives me a peace of mind which is hard to explain.
As explained by Mr. Basu, you can not define that peace of mind. It so happens, once you start to carry the multi-tools / knives (Or as they say in EDC parlance, daily it), you will end up using the same frequently or rather you will start finding use of the tool. Try dailying a basic Victorinox Classic SD or Victorinox Rally if you are inclined towards exploring this side of EDC.

Quote:
I rotate between the Spyderco Efficient and the Kershaw Link.
I do plan to introduce Leatherman or Gerber multitool soon though, just that I want to get them from the US since the same models are horribly overpriced in India.
Any Indian source of Spyderco / Kershaw or any of the name brands for folding knives for that matter.

Victorinox, Gerber and Leatherman are actually available at hardly 5-10% premium over US prices in india.

PS - I am not associated with any of the brands or the respective sellers mentioned in above posts.
roamer012 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2020, 19:19   #82
Senior - BHPian

Speaking of multi tools, here is my small collection. I keep a full size tool, the Gerber Suspension and Leatherman Rev in each of my cars.
For EDC, I had bought the Gerber dime (top right) thinking the small pliers and bottle opener will come in handy, but they were hardly used. So I went back to the smallest Victorinox multi tools tucked into the coin pocket of the jeans. The current EDC, Signature Lite has an led torch which is also convenient over using the phone flashlight.
The Everyday Carry Thread - What do you carry with you everyday?-multitoolcollection.jpg

Quote:
I have felt having a small knife and scissors to be very handy for day to day activities. Opening amazon or food packets becomes so much more easier.
Jaguar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 11:20   #83
BHPian

Quote:
I carry Leatherman multi tool always. It had cut hundreds of fruits, opened dozens of food cans and beer bottles and came in handy a lot of times to fix many things. eg. Many hotels have child proof mains socket these days. Our phone chargers have only 2 pins and as a result you need something to insert in the earth pin. No problem - you have the EDC Leatherman. And in an emergency, it can double up as a weapon.

Once I used the side cutter to snip the wire feeding a cone speaker next to the hotel where I was staying.
Prowler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 14:19   #84
Senior - BHPian

Having a ton of tools being a tools lover, I couldn't help but add to this thread

Hankey, comb, mobile on the left pocket
Wallet, car key on the right pocket
House key usually on the back pocket
and very less often a wrist watch is all I carry on me everyday apart from clothes.

However if I have planned a short day visit away from home, I feel comfortable carrying the following in a small pouch placed somewhere in the car. Over the years I've realized these minimal tools make a lot of difference.
- Three piece screw driver set, micro screw driver set.
- small plyer, tester, wire cutter
- sewing thread and needle (threads are handy to secure anything as a quick fix)
- nail cutter, tweezer, scissors, small stapler
- small pen torch
- Packing Tape (Tapes are indespensible and handy to secure anything)
- a 1.5 inch small blade

I have multi-tools (swiss knives, stanleys tool etc) but don't tend to carry them because I believe that a jack of all tool is not really effective. I rather prefer small and purpose built specialized tools, for example: a small screw driver set rather than a screw driver in a multi-tool.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 9th November 2020 at 14:22.
Old 9th November 2020, 14:46   #85
BHPian

I'll have these on my person when I step outside.

1. A card wallet with 4 cards (incl. my DL & car's RC) and probably a 500 rupee note
2. Phone
3. Keys - home and car
4. Handkerchief
5. Casio Solar wristwatch (started wearing a watch few months back after a gap of 3+ years)

cheers
lazy
Old 9th November 2020, 14:53   #86
Team-BHP Support

I've now added a "Corona Kit" to my car.

- Masks
- Gloves
- Liquid soap
- Gel based sanitiser
- Disposable spoons
- Disinfectant Spray
Eddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 22:50   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post

- Masks
- Gloves
- Liquid soap
- Gel based sanitiser
- Disposable spoons
- Disinfectant Spray
Can you please share the make and manufacturer of the components and storage arrangements of the same with pictures?
Old 10th November 2020, 01:17   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
- Gel based sanitiser
- Disinfectant Spray
One word of caution is to not store any alcohol based sanitizer or disinfectants in the car.
These have a high risk of spontaneously catching fire if left on door pockets and sunlight falls on it or on a hot day.

You have to take them out when leaving the car.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 10th November 2020 at 01:19.
for_cars1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2020, 09:03   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Speaking of multi tools, here is my small collection. I keep a full size tool, the Gerber Suspension and Leatherman Rev in each of my cars.
Nice collection of multi tools there! I have planned to add a Leatherman or Gerber into my collection sometime in the near future. Where have you picked all of these up - in India or from outside India?
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2020, 12:03   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
One word of caution is to not store any alcohol based sanitizer or disinfectants in the car.
These have a high risk of spontaneously catching fire if left on door pockets and sunlight falls on it or on a hot day.
I have always had small bottles of sanitizers (usually alcohol based lifebuoy or dettol) in my car long before the current pandemic. I have them in the door pockets and never bothered removing them when the car is parked outside in the sun. Never faced any issue. I doubt they will combust spontaniously.

Quote:
Nice collection of multi tools there! I have planned to add a Leatherman or Gerber into my collection sometime in the near future. Where have you picked all of these up - in India or from outside India?
Thanks! The leatherman and three of the Victorinox are from India (mostly amazon.in). The two Gerbers and Victorinox one hand trekker are from the US.

Last edited by Jaguar : 10th November 2020 at 12:08.
Jaguar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks