Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2019, 13:31   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Reliance Jio Fiber reviews, pros & cons

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyDriver View Post
I also face the same issue. I think this is because, atleast in my case, I have an older laptop, which uses the 2.4GHz bandwidth, while my phone, which is comparatively new uses 5GHz bandwidth
Mine is not a real issue; if laptop says 90 Mbps, mobile says 94 Mbps, so you can say something like mystery. Laptop does support 5.4 Ghz in my case.
Old 27th November 2019, 13:53   #17
Senior - BHPian

I have been Jio since the free days. After installing it, there was a renovation coming up, so installed ethernet cables to all the rooms + 2 near the hall TV from a central point. The router is installed here. Despite a small home, the jio router is insufficient towards the farther bedroom.

We also have an i-on connection which comes in near the hall TV, and the router is placed in one of the bedrooms depending on who is using it. Jio has been good so far, only issues encountered were multiple instances of cables being cut. They are prompt to come and change. Once they even did it when no one was home (cut was on the outside wires).

Over all I was a fan, till I saw the rates. They are just too much. Its like buying a Thali when you want only 3 dishes. I would like to have more slabs along with non bundled (only Internet access).

The router can also use a usb printer and a storage drive connected for LAN access. Router is pretty good, but the range is an issue. Also gets hot under load and when kept on continuously.

When the time comes, we might just retain the Jio with a low plan, as there is a requirement of 2 ISPs (for redundancy).
Old 27th November 2019, 14:25   #18
BHPian

I have been using Jio in my office since the last nine months. The only downtime I had was on the second day of installation when the overhead wires were damaged due to heavy winds and a tree was uprooted. This downtime was for for two days and after that - there have been no issues at all. They had come to my office one day to change the router. Speed has been constant. I am still on the free plan. If the Jio executive is to be believed, it will be free till I exhaust the 100GB that had come with the last plan - which I had just recharged free of cost.
Old 27th November 2019, 14:52   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Any reviews from BHPians? What are the pros & cons? We're considering it for the office. Been with Hathway for the longest time, but they've been suffering some speed / connectivity issues lately.
If you have the option of going for an Airtel Fibre connection, you should give that a shot. Unlike their mobile services, broadband services are top class.
Old 27th November 2019, 15:15   #20
JLS
BHPian

My views on JioFiber are:
Pros:
1. Speed is good. Getting consistent 40 Mbps plus. I was told that thru wi-fi it will be 40 Mbps, and thru Ethernet cable it will be 100 Mbps. Listing in Pro, because 40 Mbps is good enough for two streaming videos in parallel and a couple of mobiles doing browsing, messaging etc.
2. Installation is done professionally
3. Paid 2250 as deposit only, so far free
4. Fiber to the home, so good speeds are assured. Also the other digging etc done within society also was done in neat manner

Cons:
1. Biggest issue, Jio consumes data very fast. When I used for a month or so last month, data consumption(or accounting for data consumption) was way more than what I had observed with Airtel. Within 10 days or so, I ended up consuming 100 GB data. I think for normal use, including whole family watching TV through Jio, one would need minimum 500 GB plan.
As per my observation for similar usage on Airtel V-Fiber (that I am currently using), consumption as per Airtel accounting is between 120-150 GB.

I have currently switched off the Jio box and switched back to Airtel.
Airtel v-Fiber, though it is through copper line, gives me consistent 30+ Mbps, unlimited data, and a land line voice connection, with unlimited local and STD calls for free. All for 700 Rs per month.

I will try again for a 10 days duration and see, if their data accounting patter is same, then mostly I will return their box to Jio and claim back my deposit.
Old 27th November 2019, 15:41   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS View Post
1. Biggest issue, Jio consumes data very fast. When I used for a month or so last month, data consumption(or accounting for data consumption) was way more than what I had observed with Airtel. Within 10 days or so, I ended up consuming 100 GB data. I think for normal use, including whole family watching TV through Jio, one would need minimum 500 GB plan.
As per my observation for similar usage on Airtel V-Fiber (that I am currently using), consumption as per Airtel accounting is between 120-150 GB.
If the 100gb data cap includes TV channels data then it is way too low. I was under the assumption it is separate.
Old 27th November 2019, 15:53   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS View Post
My views on JioFiber are:

Cons:
1. Biggest issue, Jio consumes data very fast. When I used for a month or so last month, data consumption(or accounting for data consumption) was way more than what I had observed with Airtel. .
This is something I observed with jiofi also, the calculations are a bit off. I used Hathway for streaming YouTube and and prime when I didn't have cable, to play songs on TV for my kid, the average consumption topped 30gb a day, this cost only 1100 a month. I think with 4k, it'll easily cross 100gb daily,my TV doesn't have 4k.
Old 27th November 2019, 15:55   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post

- My only worry is the choice of channels. Note that you will be watching TV over the internet.

- Also note that the interface of watching TV is similar to that of Amazon Prime. My parents are used to Tata Sky interface and will probably require some assistance in finding the correct channels initially.
These are the two main points that have been keeping me from subscribing.
One, the UI and second, the choice of channels.

Parents are used to watching the local news along with a few regional (kannada) serials. Am sure these are not included in the bundle. They are also used to the Tata Sky UI and anything available 'on-demand' is strangely, a strict no for them!

Is there a way to just subscribe to their internet services?
Old 28th November 2019, 11:05   #24

Upon reading everyone's reviews i think pretty much everywhere in India the response is the same.

I am also getting 40 - 70 MBPS but i do not use the Wi-Fi from the Jio's router, I connected a Mesh Wi-Fi system via ethernet to the Jio's router and use the mesh Wi-Fi with 3 nodes across my apartment which is around 1500 sq. ft. carpet area.

However, one thing people do not notice which is a big CON for me is that the speed everyone mentions is the DOWNLOAD speed. Anyone notice the UPLOAD speed of this connection? I am getting nothing more than 1 MBPS upload even when i am getting 70 MBPS download at that exact same time.

What difference does it make? It doesnt for people who just want to watch movies and do basic internet browsing. But I am also a part time YouTuber and i upload videos to YouTube and also sync heavy files to the cloud from my laptop which is where the upload speed falls short. It takes WAAAY too much time to upload a full HD video on youtube on the Jio Fiber. In comparison, You Broadband in my office gives me 20 MBPS download and 10 MBPS upload.

Connectivity is good, i have used it for the last 6 months and experienced downtime only 2-3 times.

Restarting internet connection after a power outage takes a long time. As much as 15-20 minutes.

However, all cons go out of the window as long as I am paying nothing for the time being. Once it goes paid in my society, i might think about switching to something else.
Old 28th November 2019, 11:28   #25
BHPian

I've had it for 8 months at home. Paid the initial ₹4500 installation charge and the usage is free till today. Glad to say only a day of downtime in the entire period. Average monthly usage is over 1000GB.

The network layout: I've switched off the Wifi in their fibre modem using the admin console and connected it to three routers (using the gigabit ports on the modem) via existing concealed Cat6 cables at home. All three routers have the same SSID and password to enable easy roaming of devices. Even though the routers do not support the 802.11r (fast transition) protocol, I have no issues with devices hopping onto different routers on the network. With over two dozen devices (Smart Tv's, bulbs, lamps and other IoT devices included) there is NO latency issue with JIO. I do plan on replacing the DIY three router mesh and installing a decent tri-band Wi-FI mesh system on the network next year.

Free landline number: Provided through the modem at no additional charge as of today. Use it as a backup/personal number for use of immediate family only.

Speedtest results are always above 50mbps and do occasionally reach 90+ Mbps.

Subscription Plan: Shall subscribe to the ₹2499 plan on an annual basis to avail of the extra 100% data on offer, totalling 30,000GB.
Old 28th November 2019, 12:17   #26
BHPian

I have been using Jio for 2 months now
Pros
1. Excellent speed. i have connected the box to my internal wired network and get consistent speeds of 90Mbps
2. No downtime so far
3. Free access to JIO Cinema

Cons
1. Torrent sites are disabled.
2. Randomly working sites get disabled For eg: recently SWIGGY website was disabled. I realized it was Jio's fault when i switched back to my MTNL broadband and found the site working. Switched back to JIO and again not working. This lasted a day. next day things were back to normal.
3. Data usage shoots up like anything especially if you are streaming. I go through the free 100GB in about 3-4 days.
Old 28th November 2019, 13:16   #27
BHPian

I've been using Airtel for the last 10 years, and absolutely no issues so far. Have checked the speed using speedtest apps and it matched my plan most of the times. Worth a try.

https://www.airtel.in/broadband/mumbai
Old 28th November 2019, 13:35   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmanshah View Post

[b]However, one thing people do not notice which is a big CON for me is that the speed everyone mentions is the DOWNLOAD speed.
=====
In comparison, You Broadband in my office gives me 20 MBPS download and 10 MBPS upload.
I get good upload speeds, almost as much as download speeds. Though I have never uploaded a video ever. Only during the night the upload speeds decrease drastically to 1mbps. But then during the night the download speeds also decrease drastically to around 10mbps.

Here is the speed test result done just now.
Attached Thumbnails
Reliance Jio Fiber reviews, pros & cons-screenshot_20191128131636.jpg  

Old 28th November 2019, 13:54   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedotsix View Post
Been using it for about 7-8 months now, got it under the pre-launch scheme. Apart from the initial deposit amount of 3.5K that we paid, have not paid a single rupee since then. We did receive a notification that we'd be contacted soon for us to select the plan and to continue using it "as is" till then(touch-wood, has'nt happened till now ) .

So far, I'm pretty pleased with the experience.
1. The speed is very good (shows up 70 to 95Mbps on 5G and around 40Mbps on 2G) against the promised 100Mbps
2. Not faced any major outages, just the 2-3 times we faced interruptions, due to road digging(Bangalore!), the connectivity was restored much quicker than the Airtel guys.
3. We get 1100 GB data as of now, will change once the plan is selected formally
Dear Onedotsix,

No one has promised you 100Mbps.

They said UP TO 100Mbps

Meaning speeds can go anywhere between 0 to 100 Mbps. 100 Mbps being the max.

Correct me if I'm wrong
Old 28th November 2019, 14:00   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

I can not comment on the Jio fiber, but I have seen some comments on the router/WiFi. Obviously the Fiber gives you huge bandwidth, but how much you can actually use depends on the router and WiFi set up.

In particular WiFi can give all sorts of problems in terms of performance, speed, bandwidth. Especially if your home/office consists of multiple rooms, floor, wall etc getting good WiFi coverage can be problematic. Or you end up with multiple WiFi Networks.

I have struggled for some time with adequate WiFi coverage at home. Our house is fairly large, walls are bricks (which is often worse for WiFi than concrete) multiple floor etc.

It is bad enough having poor performance for private use. But these days, when not travelling I work from home and I spend a large amount of my time being on endless sky-video calls. I need very reliable, very good performance end to end! My internet connection is cable, which is fine, but it is the WiFi set up that is the bottle neck.

As somebody already mentioned, you can not beat an old fashioned cable from your route to your device. But WiFi is so much more practical.

I have recently installed a Neatgear Orbi router / Wifi system. Based on recommendations from several colleagues, who just like me, were fed up with mediocre WiFi performance.

https://www.netgear.com/orbi/

The Orbi set up is quite different from most WiFi system. It also means I have now just one Network all over the house. Speeds are phenomenal. It was a pricey system. I paid over Euro 300 for a the Orbi Router plus one satellite.

But it was well worth the money. Completely different experience from all the other router/WiFi solutions I trialled.

I assume Jio provides you with the router. Which means you must put that router in bridge mode. (Which means it just passes the data on).

Just remember, bandwidth, download / upload speeds are determined by weakest, most restricted link. You can have a mega fiber coming into your home, but if you have crappy Wifi to start with the performance will remain crappy. You need to upgrade the weakest link first!

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 28th November 2019 at 14:03.
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks