Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2019, 23:32   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Reliance Jio Fiber reviews, pros & cons

I've been a happy user of Jio Fiber from June 1st, 2017. We were among the first few apartment complexes in Hyderabad that got the Fiber cables laid and connected. The Jio HQ is also 300 meters away. I paid Rs 4500 refundable deposit and have been enjoying free broadband since then!

I have been getting consistently good download and upload speeds---around 70 to 80 mbps on wi-fi. Net streaming is flawless.

There have been disruptions only 3 or 4 times over the past 30 months, but those were promptly addressed. But the most recent one posed a problem in the sense that I had to wait 14 minutes for customer support to answer my call. But the issue was soon resolved.

I too have been waiting eagerly for the paid service, so that my TV can be put to good use. Right now I am only watching Hotstar, Netflix and Prime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyDriver View Post
I have been using the jio fibre since 2.5 years now, free of cost. Our society was second in mumbai to receive the jio fibre, and most probably in whole of India, as said by the technicians that had come to install the cable.
Not sure, because of my connection from June 2017.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS View Post
My views on JioFiber are:

Cons:
1. Biggest issue, Jio consumes data very fast. When I used for a month or so last month, data consumption(or accounting for data consumption) was way more than what I had observed with Airtel. Within 10 days or so, I ended up consuming 100 GB data. I think for normal use, including whole family watching TV through Jio, one would need minimum 500 GB plan.
As per my observation for similar usage on Airtel V-Fiber (that I am currently using), consumption as per Airtel accounting is between 120-150 GB.
Yes, this is the biggest flaw! Right from the time I switched over from ACT Fiber, I found humongous data being consumed by Jio for the same level of browsing. A few of my friends also feel the same. But so far I 've been using around 200 to 300 GB a month for free. I might have to rethink when the paid plans start.
Old 30th November 2019, 01:01   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Any reviews from BHPians? What are the pros & cons? We're considering it for the office. Been with Hathway for the longest time, but they've been suffering some speed / connectivity issues lately.
Hathway has been acquired by Jio and in the process of integration. Issues must have been due to reconfiguration of "upstreams"

Jio network infrastructure is excellent, network operations are good, the customer support processes with operations are not yet fully mature.

Automation in provisioning resolved many issues, so establishing connection is smooth, additionally there is automated monitoring, e.g. if a new WiFi device connects to your Jio Router, you will get an SMS alert on registered mobile. (Edit) Raises a question if there is excessive monitoring for statistical data collection, operational or for snooping, some users may not like). Voice is good too, although never tried ILD.

BTW, I believe the plans you mentioned are residential, not for business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
One very big issue I faced was with the range of the router. Compared to normal Wi-Fi, the wall / doors / glass penetration was much poorer. So as long as you are in direct sight of the router, the speed is fine.
Maybe the RF power settings on your Jio router are set too low or default. Please login into the router, search for RF power and set it to highest for higher range.

MOD NOTE:- Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here. (How to MULTI-QUOTE (when replying to a thread) on Team-BHP)

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Sheel : 1st December 2019 at 18:56. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 30th November 2019, 17:38   #48
Senior - BHPian

Below is the result of Jio Fiber speed over wi-fi:

https://www.speedtest.net/result/8810005583.png
Old 1st December 2019, 11:24   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Yes, this is the biggest flaw! Right from the time I switched over from ACT Fiber, I found humongous data being consumed by Jio for the same level of browsing. A few of my friends also feel the same. But so far I 've been using around 200 to 300 GB a month for free. I might have to rethink when the paid plans start.
I also found the consumption of data to be very high initially. However, then I did some more digging into the issue.

Most of the streaming apps adjust the rate of consumption of data based on the speed of the internet connection. For most of the apps, the default setting is "Auto" for video quality - which means, the higher the speed of the internet connection, the more data it will consume but will also provide a better video quality in return e.g. Netflix generally consumes upto 3 GB of data for a HD video every hour.

So, I changed the setting to ensure that the video quality is good but not excellent. That has ensured data consumption is much less now. Every app has its own setting for the amount of data consumed (for YouTube, it has to be done for every video).

With the settings done, now the data being consumed and reported by Jio is inline with what the streaming apps state as a general guideline.

What disappointed me about Jio are the plans that they have announced. I was expecting an unlimited plan for about Rs 1000 per month, that has not happened. I still don't have to pay anything; had got the connection by paying Rs 4,500/- at the beginning of the year and still enjoying the same for free. Will decide which one to go for (Airtel or Jio) once Jio starts charging for the same.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 1st December 2019 at 11:39. Reason: Corrected typos and punctuation. Please proof-read posts before submitting.
Old 1st December 2019, 12:05   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand_roy View Post
Most of the streaming apps adjust the rate of consumption of data based on the speed of the internet connection. For most of the apps, the default setting is "Auto" for video quality - which means, the higher the speed of the internet connection, the more data it will consume but will also provide a better video quality in return e.g. Netflix generally consumes upto 3 GB of data for a HD video every hour.

So, I changed the setting to ensure that the video quality is good but not excellent. That has ensured data consumption is much less now. Every app has its own setting for the amount of data consumed (for YouTube, it has to be done for every video).
Thanks for the tips. But I guess it will be tough for me to implement, as there are 4 of us at home, using around 7 laptops and 5 phones to connect to Jio. In addition, we use Firestick and Google Chromecast. If each app on each device has to be set to prevent data hogging, it will be practically not feasible.

May I ask you to suggest how I can do it for Netflix or Hotstar? Please provide the navigation At least I can try on the Firestick.

Last edited by vnabhi : 1st December 2019 at 12:11.
Old 1st December 2019, 13:08   #51
BHPian

Quote:
May I ask you to suggest how I can do it for Netflix or Hotstar? Please provide the navigation At least I can try on the Firestick.
For the Fire Stick, Settings > Preferences > Data Monitoring > Set Video Quality

For Netflix, you can refer to the following article: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/87

Hope this helps!
Old 1st December 2019, 18:37   #52
BHPian

Besides technical and cost reasons, I'd simply avoid Jio for their indiscriminate blocking of websites. My parents have been using their 4G SIM for a hotspot for the last 3 years and they block sites randomly and out of the blue. I had the DNS set to 1.1.1.1 to get around the Jio blocklists.

Also, for too long of a time, their routing was atrocious. I don't know if Fiber shares the routing with mobile service, but for example, pinging a server in Singapore would take the packets to US and then back to Singapore on their 4G service. A sub 50ms ping from TN to Singapore would take 280ms on Jio and it was for long time and they fixed it finally few months back.

Just my 2 cents on choosing Jio. I'd choose some independent providers like ACT or Cherrynet even over Jio if available.

Last edited by Yieldway17 : 1st December 2019 at 18:40.
Old 2nd December 2019, 10:02   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
I've Jio Fiber but haven't used it as it caused problems with the printer (wireless) and me paying tax: net banking site wouldn't come on, complained about it, but no one bothered to come and check so it's lying there. I'm very happy with ACT that's very constant in speed and have some 1500 GB per month and costs a lot less than Jio for that data. I pay ₹ 1532.82/ month for ACT.
I also stand by ACT Fibernet in my area. I am subscribed to 150Mbps plan with 1200GB per month. Due to past satisfactory performance, annual charges for Rs.13000/- approx have been paid upfront this year. Customer service though takes time to connect to an executive. Support ticket can also be raised through their app for quick resolution.

I have been using this connection for last 2 years and speed is very very consistent. I have faced downtime only 2 times in this entire period and that too resolved in 4 hrs.

I had been using airtel v-fiber before this and it was a pain. I have lot of uploading work (sometimes 200-300GB in one go) and thats simply not possible on airtel due to slow upload speed.
Attached Thumbnails
Reliance Jio Fiber reviews, pros & cons-img_6444.png  

Old 2nd December 2019, 10:12   #54
BHPian

Well its a competitive world, more the competitors, better are services and prices, monopoly and service and prices go for a toss.

Almost a decade ago, I was in Delhi and stuck with only MTNL and living on mercy of 2mbps, which too was very inconsistence, fast forward a decade later, shifted to millennium city, Gurgaon and bombarded with plethora of options.

There are zillions of local service providers including Spectra Net, DelDsl, Nextra, Tatasky, Triple Play, Touchnet etc. along with giants like Airtel, BSNL, Jio etc.

These small players have screwed the market badly for the giants by proving speeds ranging from 100mbps to 1gbps for monthly plans varying from 549/- to 999/- with truly UNLIMITED DATA download limits. And unlike as others have mentioned, the speeds are very consistent and rarely go below the promised bandwidth, even with excessive downloads, 4K live streaming on TVs/Firesticks/Media boxes etc.

Airtel also came aggressively and introduced 100mbps-1gbps plans, though at slightly more premium i.e. 100mbps/649 pm (150GB download + 1000GB extra), 200mbps/999, 300mbps/1499 and so on. Also you add 299/- to any plan to have UNLIMITED Data download.

Good part is their speeds are even better what they promise. I have a 100mbps plan, however always get 120-130 mbps consistently.

Just took this screenshot on my laptop, while sipping coffee in my balcony.

Reliance Jio Fiber reviews, pros & cons-screenshot-20191202-9.40.49-am.png

I am using 2 connections, 1gbps from local service provider and 100mbps from Airtel as backup. In total paying approx. 1600/- for both.

Having said that Jio has to come very aggressively, if they have to penetrate and capture such markets, yes they do have a better opportunity in alternate markets where penetration is relatively less though.
Old 2nd December 2019, 11:47   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand_roy View Post
For the Fire Stick, Settings > Preferences > Data Monitoring > Set Video Quality

For Netflix, you can refer to the following article: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/87

Hope this helps!
Thank you. I've carried out the changes, and will monitor data usage.
Old 9th December 2019, 10:20   #56
BHPian

Scam Alert!

A question to the users who are on the Trial offer:

Are you being asked by JioFiber to move to the paid service one? If yes, what was the mode of communication? And how much time did they give you to decide?

Asking this because yesterday two guys from Jio came to our house asking to move to paid service.
They asked 2500 as the charges for new OTT Box or whatever they call it, plus the first month prepaid fee of your preferred plan. When I told him that we had already paid 4500 last year as security deposit and this new box' fees should be set off from that amount. They told me it's not possible to do this, but I will receive 4500 as refund after two weeks or so.

I thought this must be the norm so I agreed and they proceeded with the formalities. Then they asked me for my alternate number which I promptly gave. They asked for OTP from me and left saying the installation will happen tomorrow.

Later in the night I thought about their procedure and something didn't feel right to me and I called the customer care from my primary number (the one registered in the Trial offer) and the executive told me that there is no installation request from your number. It was then that I noticed the OTP for the installation had came on my alternate number! Then I understood this scam.

So basically what those genius guys from Jio did- they, without telling me truly, took a new connection request from me altogether, which is obviously a paid one this time, instead of getting me migrated from the trial one.

And once my new service would have started, they would have asked me to file a cancellation request from the other number from which my Trial is registered.
What a way to achieve your targets!

So guys, who are on trial period, be careful how they approach you.

Last edited by Sherlocked : 9th December 2019 at 10:33.
Old 9th December 2019, 11:51   #57
Senior - BHPian

Re: Scam Alert!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
A question to the users who are on the Trial offer:

Are you being asked by JioFiber to move to the paid service one? If yes, what was the mode of communication? And how much time did they give you to decide?

And once my new service would have started, they would have asked me to file a cancellation request from the other number from which my Trial is registered.
What a way to achieve your targets!

So guys, who are on trial period, be careful how they approach you.
Thanks for the alert. Sounds shady. Did they install a new router or device? Are they also offering TV channels for the price that you will be paying?

Can you share more details please? I'm on trial offer from June 2017.
Old 9th December 2019, 12:54   #58
BHPian

Re: Scam Alert!

Quote:
Thanks for the alert. Sounds shady. Did they install a new router or device? Are they also offering TV channels for the price that you will be paying?
I was supposed to make the payment to them today (2500 + My preferred plan's 1 month rental) and then they would have installed the new router at my place. But I have decided to postpone it for now till I get a clearer picture. So far, it does look shady.

The new router is supposed to work even with your Non-Smart TV (HDMI port required). Content will be through video streaming apps such as Hotstar, Voot, Sony Liv etc.

No info about the live channels. I didn't enquire much since I have elderly parents at home and they are somehow more comfortable with the conventional TV viewing experience as of now. I was thinking of exploring it first hand myself with the new router. Guess, that's on a hold as of now!

Last edited by Sherlocked : 9th December 2019 at 12:58.
Old 23rd December 2019, 12:11   #59
BHPian

I have been using Jio Fiber since March. Yesterday, they moved us to the paid plans. I paid the yearly (360 days) charges and got their set-top box. You also get to choose between 2 months additional subscription, double data, and a BT speaker (for silver plan) as an additional benefit for annual subscription. Subscriptions to Hotstar, SonyLiv and Voot are included. Although most of the channels which I watch are included, I will keep the Tata Sky connection active, since watching TV channels using the apps consumes data, and with extended usage I ran the risk of overshooting the data limit.

Initial impressions are:
  • UI looks nice and setup is simple
  • Subscription to SonyLIV and Hotstar included. So, that is around 860 rupees in annual subscription saved.
  • Cool remote with voice assistant.
  • The customer care does not know too much. My son changed the language of the voice assistant inadvertently. The customer care agent was clueless about the process to change it back. I finally figured it out after some time.
Old 23rd December 2019, 12:26   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL01toKA03 View Post
I have been using Jio Fiber since March. Yesterday, they moved us to the paid plans. I paid the yearly (360 days) charges and got their set-top box. You also get to choose between 2 months additional subscription, double data, and a BT speaker (for silver plan) as an additional benefit for annual subscription. Subscriptions to Hotstar, SonyLiv and Voot are included. Although most of the channels which I watch are included, I will keep the Tata Sky connection active, since watching TV channels using the apps consumes data, and with extended usage I ran the risk of overshooting the data limit.

Initial impressions are:
  • UI looks nice and setup is simple
  • Subscription to SonyLIV and Hotstar included. So, that is around 860 rupees in annual subscription saved.
  • Cool remote with voice assistant.
  • The customer care does not know too much. My son changed the language of the voice assistant inadvertently. The customer care agent was clueless about the process to change it back. I finally figured it out after some time.
Thanks for the initial impressions. Even I got a message and a call yesterday for the STB and to convert to paid plans. I was thinking about going for annual silver plan and scheduled to install STB during this week. Are you sure about regular channels using data? I had thought of disconnecting Tata Sky.

KK

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks