Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2019, 12:39   #61
BHPian

Re: Reliance Jio Fiber reviews, pros & cons

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
Are you sure about regular channels using data? I had thought of disconnecting Tata Sky.

KK
Absolutely! Many people in our apartment complex were upset because of this. During the time of installation (March 19), the technicians had mentioned that the set top box would not consume data. However, at the time of handover of the set top box, they confirmed that watching anything using the set top box consumes data that will be part of the 100 GB limit per month. They also claimed (not believing these claims till they officially confirm that) that they will update the set top box later and provide all TV channels free of charge and free of data limits.
Old 27th December 2019, 13:37   #62
BHPian

Finally the free fiber internet saga ended for me. Took the one month Silver plan at 1000 bucks a month which has just 200 GB FUP but Jio is giving additional 200 GB as complementary for few months. Honestly, even this is not enough. Jio could have done better wrt the FUP limits.

Got the complementary set top box. Good thing that this cute little device connects via WiFi with the main router. No more wires!

The set top box comes with complementary Hotstar VIP, SonyLiv, Voot, Jio TV+, Jio Cinema, Jio Saavn and Youtube. So far enjoying it.
Its the next big thing. It can easily replace our satellite TV but I have kept the Airtel DTH connection simultaneously because parents are at more ease with that and secondly the set top box consumes data!

Last edited by Sherlocked : 27th December 2019 at 13:51.
Old 27th December 2019, 13:46   #63
Senior - BHPian

Jio is expensive, free fiber comes to an end for me. I'm very satisfied with ACT Fibernet ₹1532.82 for 1500 GB/month. I don't need the STB from Jio as I already got Fire Stick from Amazon. Need to decide in a day and recharge. I think I'll put it in a minimum amount and retain connection as a standby.
Old 27th December 2019, 14:06   #64
BHPian

I signed up for the Annual Gold plan at approximately 1500 rupees a month. It comes with 500GB of data at 250mbps plus 250GB of free data for the first 6 months. There is also an option to choose double data or 2 extra months. I'm going to choose double data so I will get additional 6000GB for the year. Ergo monthly allowance will be approximately 1000GB. My current usage is 200GB but I erred on the side of caution because TV / OTT apps will consume a lot of data on HD quality.

The plans are quite expensive to be honest and I'd not recommend them to anyone if you have ACT fiber broadband in your city. We don't have ACT in Kolkata unfortunately.

The STB comes with OTT apps for now - JioTV+, JioCinema, YouTube, Voot, SonyLiv, Hotstar VIP. Zee5 and most importantly JioTV Live are missing for now. Also Amazon Prime and Netflix are big misses and I don't see them being made available on Jio because they are exclusively available on Airtel XStream Fiber.

Currently because of the lack of Live TV, one has to go through the apps for viewing any channel. My parents are sticking to the local cable STB for this reason.

The voice remote is absolutely pathetic. It recognises nothing I say. Is anyone else facing a similar problem?

Last edited by digitalnirvana : 27th December 2019 at 14:11.
Old 27th December 2019, 14:24   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
Also Amazon Prime and Netflix are big misses and I don't see them being made available on Jio because they are exclusively available on Airtel XStream Fiber.

Sorry for going OT, but do you need a Netflix subscription to watch the content on XStream Box? I ask because with my Tata Sky Binge dongle, I get to watch Hotstar Premium content without subscribing to it. It is included in the monthly 250 subscription for Binge.
Old 27th December 2019, 14:41   #66
Senior - BHPian

With Jio's free offer over, I will be returning the Jio Fibre box. There is no point paying such high rates when I can get better speeds from my local guy. Just after 2-3 months of Jio coming, he upgraded us to a fibre line and is promising plans upto 1 Gbps. Currently I'm on a 60 Mbps plan and 6-monthly fee is Rs. 4400. A 100 Mbps plan will set me back by Rs. 10800 (6 month), but they are giving 1 more month free. Don't really see the need for it, so will wait and watch.

The problem with Jio Fibre is the lack of Unlimited plan. I will pick a slower speed, but always opt for an unlimited plan because there is no way I'm going to trust ISPs to count the data use nor do I want seeds slowing down post FUP usage. Case in point, Jio plans:
100 Mbps - 5094+ GST 200 Gb per month (+bonus 200 Gb per month)
250 Mbps - 7794+ GST 500 Gb per month (+bonus 250 Gb per month)

These are the only 2 plans that I can afford and even then no unlimited data. With usage easily crossing 40-50 Gb a day (thanks to HD streaming, online backups and cloud usage), there is no way I will subscribe to any non-unlimited plan. Jio's 50994+GST plan also offers just 5000 Gb a month (It's a 1 Gbps plan).

Last edited by blackwasp : 27th December 2019 at 14:47.
Old 27th December 2019, 15:04   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
and even then no unlimited data.
I think they have refrained giving unlimited data so as to increase their revenue through selling data vouchers once the user exhaust his/her FUP usage. Even those data vouchers are costly IMO. For eg. paltry 55 GB extra data for Rs. 251.

Only this one caught my eye, but it's only introductory so they can withdraw it anytime:
Attached Thumbnails
Reliance Jio Fiber reviews, pros & cons-img_20191227_150338.jpg  

Old 27th December 2019, 17:27   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
Sorry for going OT, but do you need a Netflix subscription to watch the content on XStream Box?
Three months of Netflix is included. Beyond that one probably has to pay for a subscription. I'm not sure though.
Old 29th December 2019, 13:00   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
Jio is expensive, free fiber comes to an end for me. I'm very satisfied with ACT Fibernet ₹1532.82 for 1500 GB/month. I don't need the STB from Jio as I already got Fire Stick from Amazon
For folks who don't have Fire stick, Jio STB comes with OTT + subscription + internet. They've basically combined everything into one package.

Quote:
Need to decide in a day and recharge
Didn't they extend recharge upto 4-Jan?
Old 29th December 2019, 19:33   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
I got an SMS for a recharge and also a warning for disconnection if not recharged so I did recharge. Any how using it as a second connection.
Old 30th December 2019, 12:15   #71
AZT
BHPian

Quote:

Yes I also got the message and call from Jio representative that free offer is ending in one day but I said I'll take a week to see what other options are available and then decide. 2 days later I get a message saying plan extended by 1 week. I imagine many customers would have fallen for this age old pressure tactic of deciding immediately. For anyone in Mumbai looking for base plan, Hathaway is offering 100 gb / 100mbps pm for approx 2000 quarterly. I like my Tata Sky HD recording box so not replacing that for sure.
Old 30th December 2019, 15:57   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
Yes I also got the message and call from Jio representative that free offer is ending in one day but I said I'll take a week to see what other options are available and then decide. 2 days later I get a message saying plan extended by 1 week. I imagine many customers would have fallen for this age old pressure tactic of deciding immediately. For anyone in Mumbai looking for base plan, Hathaway is offering 100 gb / 100mbps pm for approx 2000 quarterly. I like my Tata Sky HD recording box so not replacing that for sure.
But on the contrary, everyone did enjoy a free ride for all this time. Should we really care if we get a free week's or month's extension?

The important point here would be the quality of the line compared to Airtel, Hathway or any local cable providers. In my experience with BSNL Fibre, Spectranet Fibre and ACT Fibre in Bangalore, i found the latter to be the most stable fibre line with good customer service and minimal downtimes. The worst was BSNL who had outsourced their fibre line roll out and maintenance to 3rd party vendors. Thus i would anyday choose ACT over Jio even if i am paying a few hundreds more for pointless GBs of data i know i wouldnt use by end of the month.
Old 31st December 2019, 10:48   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any how using it as a second connection.
Good for you , are you opting for monthly, quarterly, semi annually or annual subscription?

Quote:
I imagine many customers would have fallen for this age old pressure tactic of deciding immediately. For anyone in Mumbai looking for base plan, Hathaway is offering 100 gb / 100mbps pm for approx 2000 quarterly
Yes, I felt the same, again typical reliance way of doing business!!

Quote:
I like my Tata Sky HD recording box so not replacing that for sure.
Now, we're caught in a big dilemma as what to do. We stopped watching TV for few months now because our usage has come to not more than an hour a day, that too we were watching only TravelXP. So we decided to cut the chord & there's almost nothing we've missed. Infact, we're glad we don't have to raise our BP with the talk shows or feed neativity into our mind with the news.

But the annual offers are quite tempting for a modern day STB & the double data offer etc. We're very confused whether to opt for STB or not & drop off the secondary internet connection (100 Mbps) & switch to Jio Fibernet for primary

And not to mention the mobile has 1.5 GB limit everyday to watch all the TV that we need that adds more confusion
Old 31st December 2019, 11:34   #74
Senior - BHPian

Oh!! BTW, Did anyone observe the upload speed these days? It used to be 100 Mbps during March, April 2019 & now they've silently reduced it to 10% of download speed. This means, I get upto 9.4 MBps instead of 95 Mbps. So for users opting 250 Mbps download speed are bound to get around 24.xx Mbps upload speed
Old 31st December 2019, 13:51   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Good for you , are you opting for monthly, quarterly, semi annually or annual subscription?
I'm testing the waters with a monthly plan. I'm on Gold (₹1299/month) ₹1532.82 incl of taxes/monthly.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks