Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2019, 16:36   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Reliance Jio Fiber reviews, pros & cons

Any reviews from BHPians? What are the pros & cons? We're considering it for the office. Been with Hathway for the longest time, but they've been suffering some speed / connectivity issues lately.

What do you like & dislike about Jio Fiber? Thanks

Reliance Jio Fiber reviews, pros & cons-screen-shot-20191126-1.47.34-pm.png
Old 26th November 2019, 16:52   #2
BHPian

re: Reliance Jio Fiber reviews, pros & cons

I've been on Jio Fiber for about 6 months now.

Our setup:
The drawing room has the "box" (ONT) & a landline phone linked to it. This box is connected to fiber optic cable which enters the premises. From that box I have placed a LAN RJ45 cable to the next room and connected a modem / router as repeater. This repeater in turn is connected to a LAN RJ45 of about 30 feet to another router at the other end of the apartment. This works better than a WiFi range extender, though with ugly wires visible.

Pros:
1. This is true FTTP (Fiber to the Premises) / FTTH (Fiber to the home) and not FTTC (Fiber to the cabinet which terminates at a cabinet on the road with last mile being CAT5 cable or copper)
2. Stable in terms of speed and latency
3. I am still on the free plan because I paid Rs4500 for the dual band router
4. No buffering for video streaming applications
5. Unlimited landline calls bundled
6. You can use JioCall app from your mobile/tablet (must be connected to the Wifi) and make calls using the landline number
7. All OTT apps (movies, music, TV etc) are bundled
8. Dual band router supports 5GHz and can connect up to 40 devices

Cons:
1. Many websites including torrents are blocked
2. Local cable operators cut the overground cables to stop people opting for GigaFiber. For us this happened once in the evening and was fixed next morning
3. Be aware that everything we browse is being used for data mining, though every ISP does this. Buy a VPN subscription (not yet done by me) to have a pretension of privacy

Overall I'm happy and would certainly recommend this. You can keep both your existing connection and this for a month, just in case you want to go back to your old operator. That's what I did with Airtel V Fiber and Jio GigaFiber before switching over.

Last edited by digitalnirvana : 26th November 2019 at 17:17.
digitalnirvana is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 16:58   #3
BHPian

Been using it for about 7-8 months now, got it under the pre-launch scheme. Apart from the initial deposit amount of 3.5K that we paid, have not paid a single rupee since then. We did receive a notification that we'd be contacted soon for us to select the plan and to continue using it "as is" till then(touch-wood, has'nt happened till now ) .

So far, I'm pretty pleased with the experience.
1. The speed is very good (shows up 70 to 95Mbps on 5G and around 40Mbps on 2G) against the promised 100Mbps
2. Not faced any major outages, just the 2-3 times we faced interruptions, due to road digging(Bangalore!), the connectivity was restored much quicker than the Airtel guys.
3. We get 1100 GB data as of now, will change once the plan is selected formally
Old 26th November 2019, 17:06   #4
Senior - BHPian

One very big issue I faced was with the range of the router. Compared to normal Wi-Fi, the wall / doors / glass penetration was much poorer. So as long as you are in direct sight of the router, the speed is fine.

For a large rectangular space this will be ideas. Not for homes with longitudinal design where the hall and bedrooms can be as far as 50-60 feet with multiple direction changes.
2000rpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 18:28   #5
BHPian

Last Saturday a bunch of people came to our block and started digging holes of 4 feet and installing iron pipes of about 7 inches dia and 20 feet height. It had to be carried by 4-5 labour men. They covered the holes with proper concrete. Upon enquiring we were told these are for Jio fiber over head cables. The neighbourhood was shocked as none of us had applied for Jio. We were then told that in future when you apply, the connections will be taken from these posts

Many of us objected to digging the ground and installing the posts near our houses and registered complaint in corporation website. Suspiciously there've been no activity since yesterday and we couldn't see anyone in our block and they left many such holes uncovered that were dug for installing these pipes. Whatever posts installed on Saturday are the only ones standing now.

Would like to understand if such is the case in the areas where Jio Fiber is already live. How is the connection routed to your houses - any separate posts for Jio installed?

Last edited by emkay.india : 26th November 2019 at 18:31. Reason: Added more info.
Old 26th November 2019, 18:51   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Any reviews from BHPians? What are the pros & cons? We're considering it for the office
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
What do you like & dislike about Jio Fiber?
We're having it from March 2019 & many would be envious to know that its been free since then (9 months now)

Likes/Pros - Speed, speed & speed!! Nothing less than 94 Kbps since the day it has been installed. The technology is way too simple, single optical cable running from the post to your house/office. Now a days, the optic cable is supported long with a thin metal wire coated in plastic. So the chances of the wire getting soggy is slim. May be twice in these many months the connection has lost momentarily & that too not more than 5-10 seconds. Very stable. I'm able to connect to almost any VPN (unlike my other Fibernet which is little restrictive) be it any country. Will connect to any device. One amazing thing being they offer in 5.4 & 2.4 Ghz. The 5.4 Ghz is 100 Mbps while 2.4 is only 50 Mbps, not sure if its a software throttle, but good enough to give share 2.4's password for guests The range is pretty much the same as my other TPLink (dual antenna) router except that Jio is way too sleek, yet covers the same distance.

Dislikes/Cons - Very difficult to get support though you'll get to hear standard support response. It's like BSNL, except the speed. It never breaks, when it breaks you nearly had it. Unless the wire from post to house/office is tied high enough, its quite risky that someone might cut it. One word of caution is that, never, ever, disturb the unit, don't even move it by 1mm is what I've been told because there's a single line of optic fiber that connects between the post to home/office & if the router is shaken, quite good chance that the connection inside might be affected, but I haven't checked on this until now.

Reliance Jio Fiber reviews, pros & cons-img_20191126_185429.jpg

Reliance Jio Fiber reviews, pros & cons-img_20191126_185436.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 24th September 2022 at 11:06. Reason: Note about adult websites not needed. Thanks
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 18:56   #7
BHPian

We installed Jio Fiber at our place few days back. Some points below which might help you.

- We took the Gold plan which is 1,299/month. They will take additional 1k for installation and another 1.5k as refundable deposit.

- We are given a landline number which we have not used till now.

- They installed one Wi-Fi router and a set top box. The customer representative had advised me to instruct the installation people to put a dual band router. As a result of this, I am able to see two Wi-Fi networks.

- Internet speed is very good.

- My only worry is the choice of channels. Note that you will be watching TV over the internet. There is a provision to get additional channels from local operators but Jio has so far not activated it. So there will be preinstalled apps (like Hotstar, Voot, Sony Liv) and you will be able to view TV channels which are a part of these applications. For example, I saw the latest cricket match on Hotstar. All Sony channels were present on Sony Liv App. However I was not able to locate CNBC channel which my father wanted to watch. I have also not seen some other channels like Comedy Central, Romedy Now. I am yet to search all the applications properly.

- Also note that the interface of watching TV is similar to that of Amazon Prime. My parents are used to Tata Sky interface and will probably require some assistance in finding the correct channels initially.

I think Jio Fiber makes sense only if you are satisfied with the TV channels being offered by Jio. You can then ditch your Tata Sky connection and meet your internet + TV needs with Jio Fiber. As mentioned, we got this installed just a few days back and my opinion might change in the coming weeks. We will go ahead with this only if my parents are able to view all their required channels on Jio.

Last edited by Saanil : 26th November 2019 at 18:58.
Old 26th November 2019, 19:07   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
We're having it from March 2019 & many would be envious to know that its been free since then (9 months now)
I paid ₹4500 in Feb for installation and they couldn't get the cable into my flat. After two attempts, they gave and never refunded my ₹4500.

Quote:
Likes/Pros - Speed, speed & speed!! Nothing less than 94 Kbps since the day it has been installed.
Would have been impressive 20 years ago.

Quote:
Dislikes/Cons - Very difficult to get support though you'll get to hear standard support response.
I agree, no matter how much I tried, I couldn't get them to refund the money. So I am sticking with ACT. Soon I will be moving into another flat in the same building. I will stick with ACT when I move because their support is very good in our apartment building.

Last edited by GTO : 24th September 2022 at 11:06. Reason: Quoted post edited
Old 26th November 2019, 19:11   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay.india View Post
Would like to understand if such is the case in the areas where Jio Fiber is already live. How is the connection routed to your houses - any separate posts for Jio installed?
Yes. That's how the connection is routed.
Old 26th November 2019, 19:13   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Would have been impressive 20 years ago.
Sorry 94 Mbps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Tragic?

And surprisingly, internet on mobile works faster than laptop, don't know why
Old 26th November 2019, 19:13   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

How many ethernet out ports does the Jio modem have?
Old 26th November 2019, 19:59   #12
Senior - BHPian

Using it since May 2019. Same white router as posted above. Speeds have been fine. Mostly use it to stream content on Hotstar, netflix, prime and voot. Torrenting has reduced a lot. Don't need the tata sky anymore but have to keep it for parents sake. Speeds initially were around 90-95 mbps range but haven't checked recently. Only once it stopped working just after installation as some connector to outside box got bust. Complained to CC and was fixed within a day.

Paid 4500 as deposit at that time and using it free of cost since then. I was paying Airtel 1350 per month before this. So, even if I disconnect it now and don't get the deposit back the cost has been recovered and then some.
Although I am disappointed like many others with their paid plans. In the meantime airtel has launched much better plans here. If only they agree to give 100mbps instead of 40mbps as earlier then I may even shift back to them.
Old 26th November 2019, 20:03   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Here you go...
Reliance Jio Fiber reviews, pros & cons-img_20191126_200433.jpg
Old 26th November 2019, 20:21   #14
BHPian

I have been using the jio fibre since 2.5 years now, free of cost. Our society was second in mumbai to receive the jio fibre, and most probably in whole of India, as said by the technicians that had come to install the cable.

We had paid ₹4500 as refundable security deposit.

Downtime is very less and when complained on their toll free number, they are quick to react unless they are upgrading something.

Speeds are good, i get around 100mbps mostly. Although during night i have seen speeds dropping quite often.

As far as i know, atleast in my area there is no other operator that provides these kind of speeds.

Since the launch this year, they keep sending sms's that they will get in touch, about which plan i want to buy, and till that time i can enjoy the net for free. So i am enjoying the net for the past 2.5 year's.

Anybody opting for jio fibre, please insist on getting the white modem which costs ₹4500. The white modem supports both 2.4GHz as well as 5GHz. I have heard they offer one more modem which is black in color and costs less, but supports just 2.4GHz.

Quote:

And surprisingly, internet on mobile works faster than laptop, don't know why
I also face the same issue. I think this is because, atleast in my case, I have an older laptop, which uses the 2.4GHz bandwidth, while my phone, which is comparatively new uses 5GHz bandwidth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
The modem has 3 ethernet out ports, 1 landline port and 2 usb Type-A ports.
Old 27th November 2019, 11:47   #15
BHPian

I am on Jio Giga Fiber network for close to a year or so. My apartment was one of the few apartments in South Bangalore to receive Jio Giga Fiber option. My take on the service/speed:

Pros:
1. Dual band network with white modem for refundable security deposit of Rs.4500/-.
2. Under the preview offer and hence not paid anything apart from the security deposit, though received messages from Jio that they will be getting in touch with me soon for migration to a paid plan.
3. Decent speeds of 45-70 mbps.

Cons:
1. Very poor range of the wifi router
2. The router takes time to boot up after a power outage
3. The free landline number takes multiple dialling to receive calls from other numbers.

Overall I am satisfied with the experience.

Most Viewed