Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2019, 15:29   #46
BHPian

Re: How many leaves / holidays do you take in a year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nisfish View Post
I am close to completing my first year at a central government organization. I get 8 Casual Leaves, 30 Earned Leaves and 2 Restricted Holidays - so 40 in total. ELs can roll over to the next year while the other two lapses if not availed. I have already taken 30 leaves so far and plan to avail the remaining 10 ELs during Christmas time.
I work in an Autonomous body under GoI. I too have same number of leaves. In addition there are 20 half-pay leaves per year which can be used for taking sick leaves.
Over the last 11 years, I average about:
7-8 CLs per year, 2 RH per year, 4 ELs per year
Never taken sick leaves, paternity leaves, LTC etc. so far.
Old 5th December 2019, 15:43   #47
HrB
BHPian

My company sends emails to remind me to take a break in case I've not taken a long leave for more than 6 months. Already working 5 days a week, I mostly end up utilizing the casual leaves only which is not more than 7 days a year. We do go out of town / state during Durga Puja holidays. This is mostly managed by combining the holidays with weekends and by falling sick towards the end of the trip (read sick leaves).
Old 5th December 2019, 15:49   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
In addition there are 20 half-pay leaves per year which can be used for taking sick leaves.
Thanks for reminding me about the HPLs. I haven't used any of them so far.

Last edited by aah78 : 5th December 2019 at 19:07. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Old 5th December 2019, 15:49   #49
Senior - BHPian

I tend to take all leaves that are made available by my company. My current company has a 'no carry-forward' policy, so they sort of force you to go on leave. I haven't kept a count but its definitely somewhere near 20 this year including holidays, still have 8 leaves available until March 2020 so planning a quick Northern invasion in February

During some leaves, I send a rather curt note to all that I will not be checking my phone or opening my laptop, but during some others I am open for a quick call or screen time if needed. All depends on work forecast and how deep I am with my stuff at that time.
Old 5th December 2019, 16:38   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

As a self employed you are a little bit like a daily wage worker. You gotta work each day! For all my life 52 Sundays were off. That's a good start. Leave is a very employee oriented subject. My wife forces us to have a 4 to 5 day nucleus family holiday once a year. And in November each year wife & I do a pilgrimage break for 3 or 4 days. There is far too much to do in life to spend it on holidays. Seek forgiveness in advance from those who find this offensive.
Old 5th December 2019, 17:00   #51
BHPian

Interesting reading the replies here. I am self-employed and take about 5-6 days off a year excluding Sundays. Any long trip, and the preparation I have to do beforehand is just massive!
Old 5th December 2019, 17:22   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
As a self employed you are a little bit like a daily wage worker. You gotta work each day! For all my life 52 Sundays were off. That's a good start. Leave is a very employee oriented subject. My wife forces us to have a 4 to 5 day nucleus family holiday once a year. And in November each year wife & I do a pilgrimage break for 3 or 4 days. There is far too much to do in life to spend it on holidays. Seek forgiveness in advance from those who find this offensive.
I can absolutely relate to this.

"Leave is a very employee oriented subject", how true!

When you have no one except yourselves to blame/ to give credit to, work always dominates your thoughts.

I have 1 holiday a year - a 3 day vacation. Other than that, it's mostly Sundays when I can stretch my legs a bit. And that too on not all sundays. I do get some free time from work during Christmas, but then maintenance work will have me glued at my workplace. I worked for someone else in the past and used to have all weekends off, with an additional 20 day CL that I could use. Honestly, I enjoy the current lifestyle much better. Gives more meaning and purpose but also took away a lot of hair from my head

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 5th December 2019 at 17:38.
Old 5th December 2019, 17:58   #53
BHPian

I'm into agriculture. And it's my own business. So it's literally 24/7/365+!

Just this week I was in Goa for 5 days. There's a time slot dedicated to calls and work pre decided with the family. Am able to stick to it 60% of the time.

But there's not even a single day where there's no work. That's how the business is.
Old 5th December 2019, 18:25   #54
Senior - BHPian

Sometimes I recall the time I was working at a Multinational. There used to be proper Holidays.

Doing your own business means Zero Holidays. I run a tight ship so I'm connected with my team at all times. Money related things have to pass through me even if its via Whatsapp.

So I can say that I haven't had a proper Holiday since I started my own business. As we say it's towards a better future. When I'm old and cannot enjoy holidays because the body won't allow it and I cannot take road trips on my favourite motorcycle or car as again my body won't allow it.
Heck! I'm off to a holiday right now. BYE!
Old 5th December 2019, 19:43   #55
BHPian

I have 21 Paid leaves in a year out of which only 7 can be carried over to the next year and must be consumed by next September or else those will expire. Apart from PL's I get 12 Restricted Leaves (National/Public Holidays). So a total of 33 Paid leaves plus 104 SATs & SUNs, >4.5 Months in a Year. Top this with numerous Work from Home's. Not bad for a Corporate Executive.
Old 5th December 2019, 20:06   #56
BHPian

Sitting at home, in front of Laptop or PC and doing office work is as good as a leave. No offence to people who do work from Home.

The point of taking leave, (in my case 48 in an entire year) is not to get up early for work, not to prepare yourself ,not to make a mindset of being off home, not to travel a certain distance(to your workplace) in traffic etc.

Its basically to take time off a monotonous life, and spend time on something you love to, or with family.
People obsessed with work can be termed Workaholic.
Old 5th December 2019, 20:27   #57
Senior - BHPian

The longest leave I have taken yet is of 3 weeks (15 working days excluding weekend) for my wedding this year. Otherwise I usually take 10-12 Casual leaves an year and try to save/accumulate earned leaves as much as I can as they can be encashed.

For trips like Goa/Ladakh, the maximum leaves I was allowed my my then employer was 5 working days.

I mostly club leaves with long weekends to make the best use of them.
Old 5th December 2019, 20:56   #58
BHPian

We have entitled 18 Days Leave (including Sick + Paid Holidays + Casual Holidays).

Unfortunately, i cannot use all 18 days leave (even if staggered) due to project pressure. work sometimes even on weekends at home, late nights at home.

I wonder sometimes, why leaves exist at all (no personal space) in indian run MNC companies. Every small decision is in the hands of supervisor/manager.
Old 5th December 2019, 21:31   #59

I get 18 Annual leaves + 6 casual leaves + 6 Sick leaves. In addition I get 10 client holidays. I make sure that I finish my casual leaves + 13 annual leaves. I can only carry forward 5 annual leaves and all sick leaves.

In general I spend about 12 hours daily at work in addition to 3 hours of travel. So I make sure I utilize my leaves
Old 5th December 2019, 21:57   #60
BHPian

We get around 30 PL and 12 CLs. I end up using most of them or at least 30-35. Apart from that, 15 sick leaves which is difficult to avail. Silver lining is that most of leaves can be carried forward including sick. Nuisance is only two Saturdays off in a month.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks