Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2019, 21:57   #61
BANNED

Re: How many leaves / holidays do you take in a year?

Well I take a minimum of 10 -15 days of annual leave and utilise the 5 casual leaves. Log leave is reserved for the yearly road trip.

Unable to utilize all days but ensure nothing is forefeited.....
Old 5th December 2019, 22:01   #62
BHPian

I take 4 weeks of leave every year and all of those are dedicated for travel, mostly road trips. We try to do one 2 week (16 day incl. weekend) holiday and two 1 week (8-9 days incl. weekend). Apart from this, we do some long weekend (Fri/Mon leave) a few times a year.

Mostly, these would be no-work holidays and I do not take laptop during these days. But, unfortunately, emails/messaging tools are available on mobile. So cant avoid them reaching you, if at all . Net net, I am a 'work to live' person and not the other way

Looking forward to the last one of the year in Dec.

Last edited by aah78 : 6th December 2019 at 19:40. Reason: Grammar, format.
Old 6th December 2019, 01:29   #63
BHPian

Being a Consultant, I take leaves when I accumulate enough OT hours. I am off when the client is off, which is just 8 to 9 days a year! I try to take week long off twice a year, apart from short holidays which I take whenever I feel the need to take a break.

Being in the network team, I take my laptop wherever I go, when you need all hands, I've to be available! My work does not require me to be present at client's office, so I am remote full-time. My parents and wife are tired of seeing me at home all the time.
Old 6th December 2019, 07:36   #64
BHPian

As a self employed individual, there is no off or leave as such. I have to decide when to take my own holidays and love to hit the highways and mountains to unwind.
Perks of my job is the location of certain projects on the hills of Sakleshpur, Chikmagalur and Coorg. I do make it a point to drive by myself once in a while to these places and those nice drives do help me unwind.
Old 6th December 2019, 08:52   #65
BHPian

I'm entitled to 40+ days per year. I realized that we have these many leaves only this week after five years of my stint at at company. Our team is very forgiving when it comes to availing our leaves. I have never taken long holidays to go anywhere but incidentally, this year, we are planning a trip to a hill station just after Christmas.
Old 6th December 2019, 10:44   #66
Senior - BHPian

For me, "Work life Balance" is "Pati Patni Aur Woh". I mean, I treat, Work, Life and Balance (Bank Balance - Pun intended) as separate entities.

While Work is definitely an integral part of life, Work is NOT life perse.

I strongly believe that I live to live happily. Hence, I take all leaves that are defined by the company every year and use all the leaves for my happiness (Traveling, spending time with family and friends)

I do not en-cash leaves as well since I believe that I cannot convert happiness into money.
Old 6th December 2019, 11:46   #67
PVS
BHPian

I save up my leaves towards the end of the year. a 5-day vacation leave with a family once a year is a must, and that happens usually in October. Towards the end of the year, I start gradually exhausting my casual leaves and vacation leaves (That were carried over from the previous year) - they anyway get expired by the end of the year if I don't use them.
Old 6th December 2019, 12:28   #68
RGK
Senior - BHPian

A very interesting thread. I work for an IT corporate and take about 10 days of leave. In addition to that, I take earn leave for vacation/trips as it can be utilized for availing LTA once in 2 years.
Old 6th December 2019, 12:37   #69
BHPian

Being a first-generation entrepreneur and laying the foundation of my business, I have never taken a single day off ( went without working) for the last 3 years now. Being in the field of educational consultancy, I get to meet parents and students together mostly on the weekends only. On days when I can plan to take a leave, I have to keep my business open to inquiries while supporting the existing students with applications.

Last edited by aah78 : 6th December 2019 at 19:42. Reason: Removed link.
Old 6th December 2019, 12:42   #70
BHPian

I have 25 days of leave yearly along with 10 Statutory Holidays. We can carry forward only 5 days. I complete my quota of leaves every year with mix of holidays, family social gatherings and occassional sick leaves. Already planning 20-21 holidays now .

Last edited by aah78 : 6th December 2019 at 19:43. Reason: Double spacing removed.
Old 6th December 2019, 15:06   #71
BHPian

Being an Entrepreneur, give the flexibility of choosing everything, But not leave / holidays.

I have worked when everyone was enjoying the holidays. But I enjoy when everyone works

I just returned back from a 15 day trip to US, I had only 3 meetings the remaining days were my holidays!! In October I traveled to Frankfurt, but took a 2 day vacation to Vienna. I usually club my holidays with my business trip

Best,
Hem
Old 6th December 2019, 16:14   #72
BHPian

At my old workplace where I put in 11 years of association, we had 24 annual leaves + 10-11 declared Holidays.

For the first 2-3 years, I hardly took any leaves. In fact, we used to work most of the Saturday's while it was officially off.

For the next 3-4 years, the weekend work reduced and better utilization of declared Holidays allowed me to plan some travel with friends and/ or family. But, leaves would still be limited to 5-7 days in a year including the year of my wedding . There was no encashment or carry-forward policy.

The last 2-3 years, however, went by very good and I was able to plan work better, achieve goals et al. And hence seek out/ plan more holidays, family trips, etc. In 2017, we took 6 trips within India, one almost every 2-3 months. My leaves/ trips are always usually planned during off-peak seasons and hence getting leave sanctioned was never an issue. The company policy changed a bit allowing us to carry-forward leaves. I pooled leaves for 2 years and spent 4 weeks at Melbourne, Australia.

For the past 2 years though, I've been a part of a start-up and now it's back to 6 day work weeks. We've been taking occasional trips and leave here or there but mostly on a need-to-take-off basis. Hopefully, this will ease in the future. Now, even when we are on leave, it does not feel we are away from work. Work-life seems to have a mixed-up well. I was at a wedding a few months back and was still able to resolve a critical work issue whilst still enjoying the lip-smacking fare at the same.
Old 6th December 2019, 16:55   #73

Back when i was a permanent employee for a London-based software house i was entitled to a very generous 30 days off + 8 UK bank holidays. That worked quite well for numerous international holidays and trips back home to India. Now as a consultant providing services to clients via my own limited company, i take time off as and when i need to. Plan to take a month off fairly soon, in-between contracts.
Old 6th December 2019, 17:19   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
When it comes to leaves/holidays, I don't think anyone can compete with Litigating Lawyers! 1 month of Summer Vacation in the month of May + 2 week Diwali Vacation + 10 days of Christmas Vacation. Not to forget over a dozen other public holidays.
Agreed. Professors might be the second best. At least Two-weeks vacation in summer and winter each. Plus 12 days of paid leave over a year. Few more earned leaves. And we make sure not to miss any of them.
Old 6th December 2019, 18:22   #75
BHPian

I burn them all. Like 21. First 12-13 years of my career I used to only take—when unwell. Did nothing for my professional trajectory. Now am logical.

Most Viewed