Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Just to keep track
Yes, thank you kindly, I've got the woofers 6 13.33%
I don't know why I'm voting here, total time pass 36 80.00%
I am interested in getting suitable tweeters (pairs) as well (post 161) at under 3K per pair 3 6.67%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2007, 15:15   #46
Senior - BHPian

Sam as i asked before will they useful for my ICE upgrade which i will do in the future on my Honda after the speaker upgrade you recommended?

If yes I'll have a set if not the other BHPians can use them in a better way
Old 28th February 2007, 15:16   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Dippy, yes. They will be useful for your OHC. Will keep a pair for you.
Old 28th February 2007, 15:17   #48
Senior - BHPian

Done. A drink from me to you the next time we meet
Old 28th February 2007, 15:17   #49
Senior - BHPian

HEY SAM!!

I am using a pair of 8" Peerless drives in a 6.5 feet tall, floor standing two way "three-quarter-wave-tube" arrangement , ALL DIY'd from the hand made and soldered crossovers to the cabinet built out of 18" MDF with vineer and full length brushed aluminium fronts, 22" Granite base, with four adjustable brass spikes down to the four pairs of Brass Dimes with dimples for these spikes to rest on - even had a Trumpet/Horn etched in the granite base!! - Howzzat??

I have been rather lost for sometime - but reading this gave me the impetus to perhaps now make a set of rears using these 6.5 inchers! - that leaves only centre and viola I'd have upgraded my "Stereo" to a Home thratre!!

Now you tell me if I qualify!!

EDIT: ... all those enticements hold true - of fiery crab curry and assorted culliniary delights served by appropriately dressed damels with vicarious and varying skills/appetite - while you float on down the backwaters of Kerala, twinkinkling stars and failing twilight for company - we'll throw in a full moon and couple of owls as well for good effect !( - both willing!!)

Last edited by kb100 : 28th February 2007 at 15:23.
Old 28th February 2007, 15:19   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
but this is something i have in my mind for my TV. ...yes pots made of mud inverted the subs into the pot, it rocks. P.S.2 hey hyderabad janta, compete for those, we all can have them.
they are not shielded so they might distort your TV tube if placed close.

Mud pots can make nice boxes too. damp them well though.
Old 28th February 2007, 15:20   #51
Senior - BHPian

thank you sam. shall speak to satish and shall let you know about the delivery thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
That's a nice idea, done. One pair for you too. Boy this is quick. Free works well
did you ever tried speakers / sub with a matka (ala mutka kulfi ). try once with a pair, just i wanted to know how do you rate the boom and quality of sound produced by such a set-up.
Old 28th February 2007, 15:22   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
HEY SAM!!

I am using a pair of 8" Peerless drives in a 6.5 feet tall, floor standing two way "three-quarter-wave-tube" arrangement , ALL DIY'd from the hand made and soldered crossovers to the cabinet built out of 18" MDF with vineer and full length brushed aluminium fronts, 22" Granite base, with four adjustable brass spikes down to the four pairs of Brass Dimes with dimples for these spikes to rest on - even had a Trumpet/Horn etched in the granite base!! - Howzzat??

I have been rather lost for sometime - but reading this gave me the impetus to perhaps now make a set of rears using these 6.5 inchers! - that leaves only centre and viola I'd have upgraded my "Stereo" to a Home thratre!!

Now you tell me if I qualify!!
Wow! of course you qualify. One pair is yours! How will you pick them up.

People - I really do love the drinks and food I'm gonna get, but remember, You need to show us what you did and how you did it.
Old 28th February 2007, 15:34   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
AAARGH, sorry, forgive me all. They are 6.5" drivers

Navin, please correct my initial post
if they are 6 inch driver one could pair them to a good set of tweeters and XO and wallah.....custom built component speakers...
Old 28th February 2007, 15:35   #54
BANNED

One thing I understood after reading this thread: FREE SELLS faster than anything!!!

I am not much of DIYer!!
Do you have anything like free GreenCotton, 4channel Amps etc... Yes, then I would try to be one!
Old 28th February 2007, 15:36   #55
Senior - BHPian

hey Sam,

Can i have one pair Please.

What will I do with them ? - Use them as Woofers in my Car - i have no idea about ICE so really have no clue what else I can do !!

Reason why i deserve them - Easy to pick them up as i can drop at your office and collect them

Cant drain you in beer but what about a Bhel - Mitha??
Old 28th February 2007, 15:37   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Do you have anything like free GreenCotton, 4channel Amps etc... Yes, then I would try to be one!
yes ill be one contender when JBL decides to give out free samples of amp & subs etc

Rev
Old 28th February 2007, 15:38   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
they are not shielded so they might distort your TV tube if placed close.
didnt knew that !!!!
thank you navin.

but the last time when we did such a thing, we didnt find a place near the TV and also didnt want them near the TV for the appearance point of view, we placed them close to the roof that to on the adjacent wall, so there was atleast 10 feet away from the TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Mud pots can make nice boxes too. damp them well though.
didnt understand what you meant to say. did you mean dampen them?? how to do that??. when you say about damping the pots, i can only think about putting sand around the base of the pots and wet the sand, thats what we did last time, but that we did so as to give support to the pots so that they dont fall down. or something like wrap a peice of cloth and wet the cloth. But either of the cases, we need to add water to keep them wet!!!.

@navin and sam,
can four such 6.5'' subs in a custom enclosure produce better sound than one JBL bass tube in a verna. May be i should buy two 4 channel amps, one for the subs and the other for the front and rear speakers (yet to decide on components or co-axials).

Last edited by kkr2k2 : 28th February 2007 at 15:45.
Old 28th February 2007, 15:40   #58
BHPian

Sam i would have pleaded to get a set for my car... but now i am thinking abt how i would pick them up and how to install them..... :-<<<<< boooo hoooooo...............
Old 28th February 2007, 15:51   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You need to show us what you did and how you did it.

Sorry Sam... I have firewall issues at work and the connectivity issues at my new home persist!... tech issues and the guy says it'll take another week for them to sort it out (its a private colony and they have a private exchange - no other option at the moment) .

My pics will be up - that is a PROMISE!!
Old 28th February 2007, 15:51   #60
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuelled View Post
Box size is not really a big issue. i can easily accomodate a 30-35" tall and 8"-12" wide/deep column easily in my room.

Or wud it be still bigger Navin??
More than enough. At that size you could even go push-pull or MTM or MMT (you need 4 woofers for any of these).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks