Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2019, 15:52   #1
Senior - BHPian

Technology help: Titanium fusion with Glass

Guys I need some help.

We need to fuse Glass over Titanium. This is required for reflectivity.

So the technology has to be either vacuum bonding or some sort of epoxy/chemical for bonding which ensures >96% reflectivity. Plus it shouldn't break when heated.

I need some contacts who work with this kind of technology and can get some products developed.
People in optics might know some vendor with this tech.

Thanks in advance for the help guys!!
Old 28th December 2019, 17:22   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Technology help: Titanium fusion with Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
We need to fuse Glass over Titanium.
I don't know about whether one can fuse glass to pure titanium. However, as dentists, we do use dental crowns which are porcelain fused to metal. The metal is an alloy of certain (noble) metals, which is cast into shape first, then porcelain is fused to the metal surface in a high -temperature furnace where the temperature is controlled very accurately (the porcelain melts and fuses, but the metal does not melt down completely).

It's a technically challenging process. How big a piece are you thinking of fabricating? The limitation may depend on the availability of furnaces.

You could talk with an expert in dental materials, or with a metallurgist.
Old 29th December 2019, 07:38   #3
BHPian

re: Technology help: Titanium fusion with Glass

Quite some time back I was interacting with a Bangalore based optics company. I don't know if they can help, but this is their detail pulled out from one of the email interactions -

> OPTICS & ALLIED ENGG. PVT. LTD.,
> 9Q, I Phase, Jigani Link Road,
> Bommasandra Industrial Area,
> BANGALORE - 560 099.
> Ph: 080-49044904
> Mobile: +919886766874
> email: lingaraju@opticsindia.com
> www.opticsindia.com

I had also interacted with one person that manufacturers mirrors/lenses/filters. This person used to be in Sanjay Nagar, Bangalore. Have not found his details in my emails yet. Will post when I do. Hope I've not lost it!

Among these two, I found the opticsindia folks to be well equipped for various projects. However, the technical competency and understanding on the subject matter itself, I quite liked the second (Sanjay Nagar) person.

If you are looking for any high temperature optics, wouldn't you get them with thorlabs/newport/edmonds/etc.?
Old 30th December 2019, 12:15   #4
Senior - BHPian

Re: Technology help: Titanium fusion with Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
I don't know about whether one can fuse glass to pure titanium. ...................

It's a technically challenging process. How big a piece are you thinking of fabricating? The limitation may depend on the availability of furnaces.

You could talk with an expert in dental materials, or with a metallurgist.
This would be something similar but we require a size of 100mm by 150mm and 8 mm thickness. The glass thickness needs to be 3mm.

What is possibly required is a vacuum furnace which can be used to bond the two elements. Glass melts at 600 and Titanium at 1700 so theoretically it is doable.

Else we could find some sort of an epoxy or cement which while remaining invisible is able to give a perfect bond to the glass and titanium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
Quite some time back I was interacting with a Bangalore based optics company......................
If you are looking for any high temperature optics, wouldn't you get them with thorlabs/newport/edmonds/etc.?
We would like to develop a vendor in India with a specialized Vacuum furnace. Importing has always been an option. Even finished product is available but the challenge is to develop it in India.

So either it has to be done using a clear and invisible epoxy or cement to bond or a vacuum furnace which is able to bond the two. Size would be 100X150X8mm for the titanium plate and 3mm thick glass over it.
I will give a call to the above number you posted but in case you recall someone having what I require please do let me know.

The Vacuum furnace is required because Titanium oxidises very quickly and we don't want that as it will ruin the reflectivity of the surface.

Thanks for your replies guys.

Last edited by navpreet318 : 30th December 2019 at 12:17.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks