Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2019, 15:34   #16
BHPian

Re: Mi TV - Bought a full HD TV, but screen resolution is just 720p!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
Dont want to get into reasons. A 1080p test from a USB device defeats the purpose of a smart TV. I bought it to play 1080p from the apps it supports (have not side loaded them)
Can you check if the down-scaling to 720p is happening only on Hotstar or all the apps such as Prime/Netflix/Youtube et al.

In my case when I play Amazon Prime videos on a web browser the resolution is limited to 720p while on the Firestick its is 1080p for the same login account

Also check if there is any App specific Video quality setting.

Last edited by beast_within : 31st December 2019 at 15:44. Reason: Added content
Old 31st December 2019, 16:31   #17
BHPian

Hi,

I have MI 4A LED Full HD 40 Inch TV. It is part of the new line up of TVs which were released during festive season.

I have amazon prime and also played you tube videos on the same they all work at 1080 resolution.

I have not used Hotstar, but ZEE5 there is an issue that it switches between SD, 720 & 1080 pixel all by itself. I think it switches based on bandwidth availability.

I think you should check and verify, some how the concept of forcing it to only run on 720P would be too disastrous for any company.

Last edited by freak : 31st December 2019 at 16:31. Reason: Removed Extra Spaces
Old 31st December 2019, 16:34   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beast_within View Post
Can you check if the down-scaling to 720p is happening only on Hotstar or all the apps such as Prime/Netflix/Youtube et al.

In my case when I play Amazon Prime videos on a web browser the resolution is limited to 720p while on the Firestick its is 1080p for the same login account

Also check if there is any App specific Video quality setting.
How can I check on other apps? Hotstar has a convenient 'details' button.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freak View Post
Hi,

I have MI 4A LED Full HD 40 Inch TV. It is part of the new line up of TVs which were released during festive season.

I have amazon prime and also played you tube videos on the same they all work at 1080 resolution.

I have not used Hotstar, but ZEE5 there is an issue that it switches between SD, 720 & 1080 pixel all by itself. I think it switches based on bandwidth availability.

I think you should check and verify, some how the concept of forcing it to only run on 720P would be too disastrous for any company.

How do you know if an 1080p video is playing at 720p or 1080p on Prime/Youtube/Netflix? the source video may show 1080p even if the screen is capable of 720p only.
Pl download and run an app called WEAR SCREENINFO. Its on the Mi store. It displays the screen resolution.

Last edited by Hatari : 31st December 2019 at 16:37.
Old 31st December 2019, 17:04   #19
BHPian

Quote:
The TV has no option of changing resolution. If it was capable of running at 1080p, no reason why it shouldnt. I may have tested this if the TV was not a smart TV.
One, there is the hardware, and then there is the software.

When they promised to sell you a 1080p TV, it means that the hardware has 1920 * 1080 pixels. Looks like they delivered on that, so no room for complaint there.

Now, there is some software running on that which makes it "smart". But they didn't make any resolution promises on that, did they? It is no crime if the software don't match the capabilities of the software. You can always try an alternate method to enjoy the full potential of the TV.

When they sell TVs at half the price as top brands they cut corners. As they say, you get what you paid for. At 50% price a MI TV provides about 80% of what a top of the line Sony does. These are things that one should be aware of. If you cannot live with that compromise, you still have options:

- Force the TV to display in 1080p (with reduced performance) as somebody detailed in a previous post.
- Plug in a chromecast or fire stick or a bluray player or a HTPC.
- Cut your losses, sell your MI TV and get a better TV.

Simply ranting will not help you.

Last edited by civic-sense : 31st December 2019 at 17:06.
Old 31st December 2019, 17:18   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
One, there is the hardware, and then there is the software.

When they promised to sell you a 1080p TV, it means that the hardware has 1920 * 1080 pixels. Looks like they delivered on that, so no room for complaint there.

Now, there is some software running on that which makes it "smart". But they didn't make any resolution promises on that, did they? It is no crime if the software don't match the capabilities of the software. You can always try an alternate method to enjoy the full potential of the TV.

When they sell TVs at half the price as top brands they cut corners. As they say, you get what you paid for. At 50% price a MI TV provides about 80% of what a top of the line Sony does. These are things that one should be aware of. If you cannot live with that compromise, you still have options:

- Force the TV to display in 1080p (with reduced performance) as somebody detailed in a previous post.
- Plug in a chromecast or fire stick or a bluray player or a HTPC.
- Cut your losses, sell your MI TV and get a better TV.

You would make an excellent customer service executive for Mi!

A Full HD smart TV should play all content in Full HD if the source is 1080p regardless of hardware/software 'promises'! I may be making a compromise on picture quality/sound etc when compared to a Sony, but certainly not on playing videos at 720p only!
The company has registered a complaint and has said they will get back to me. Shall wait for their revert.

Last edited by Hatari : 31st December 2019 at 17:20.
Old 31st December 2019, 17:18   #21
BHPian

Quote:

Your defense of the TV and brand seemed like as if you have a hidden agenda. Moreover the ranting might not help him but will let other prospective buyers know of the limitation of these cheap TVs and more specifically MI TV
Old 31st December 2019, 17:32   #22
BHPian

Quote:
How can I check on other apps? Hotstar has a convenient 'details' button.

Usually TV remote has an "Info" button which displays the resolution of the video being shown currently. Also note the following:

1. Not all content on the Smart Apps is in Full HD. Try different Apps or content
2. Some subscriptions are 720p only. On Netflix a basic plan allows only SD content to be played
3. If Full HD content is being played and displayed via USB drive or Laptop via HDMI then the TV and its associated firmware both are capable of running 1080p.
4. It might be that the Video Quality is dependent on the Network Quality and video is being down-scaled to 720p. Check settings for Network and Video on the Mi TV
Old 31st December 2019, 17:36   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beast_within View Post
Usually TV remote has an "Info" button which displays the resolution of the video being shown currently. Also note the following:

1. Not all content on the Smart Apps is in Full HD. Try different Apps or content
2. Some subscriptions are 720p only. On Netflix a basic plan allows only SD content to be played
3. If Full HD content is being played and displayed via USB drive or Laptop via HDMI then the TV and its associated firmware both are capable of running 1080p.
4. It might be that the Video Quality is dependent on the Network Quality and video is being down-scaled to 720p. Check settings for Network and Video on the Mi TV
Pl see the pics in my first post. The video resolution shows 1080p.
Old 31st December 2019, 17:38   #24
BHPian

Quote:
You would make an excellent customer service executive for Mi!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandhyab View Post
Your defense of the TV and brand seemed like as if you have a hidden agenda. Moreover the ranting might not help him but will let other prospective buyers know of the limitation of these cheap TVs and more specifically MI TV
Even if I concede that ranting could help somebody, am sure ad hominem is not the way to go in a public debate.

It is the buyer's responsibility to make sure that whatever he buys suits his requirements. "I assumed" or "I didn't know" will not help.

Anyway, good luck with your TV.
Old 31st December 2019, 17:45   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Even if I concede that ranting could help somebody, am sure ad hominem is not the way to go in a public debate.

It is the buyer's responsibility to make sure that whatever he buys suits his requirements. "I assumed" or "I didn't know" will not help.

Now that you put it this way, you are correct. We Indians do have a problem that we fall for cheap products without reading/understanding the limitations and the reason for the cost.

I was so tempted with buying a TCL QLED, or other cheaper 4k TVs but then read and compared the products in store, and finally ended up with an OLED. There definitely is a very good reason why Sony, LG and Samsung charge a premium for their TVs.
Old 31st December 2019, 18:20   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Nothing assumed. They simply have not delivered on a tv that can play 1080p.
Old 31st December 2019, 18:50   #27
BANNED

Quote:
That is all that matters.

Thank you for bringing this to the notice of prospective buyers.
Old 31st December 2019, 22:08   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Attached is the tech specifications of LG which clearly mentions APP and Video resolutions.

Has MI mentioned this in the user manual?

--

A quick googling shows that this tv uses a Mali 450 GPU which I remember was used in Micromax and other phones; also used in those cheap chinese tv boxes that heat up like crazy when playing HD content.
Attached Images

Old 1st January 2020, 09:54   #29
BHPian

My MI tv shows this statistics which confirms 1080p.
Attached Thumbnails
Mi TV - Bought a full HD TV, but screen resolution is just 720p!-708e007106f742cd8a22eceff8072926.jpeg  

Old 1st January 2020, 12:30   #30
Senior - BHPian

I have a Mi 32 inch led tv. Youtube is no longer working on the same

Most Viewed