Team-BHP > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: What type of signal you use while overtaking?
Honking 42 56.76%
Headlamp flash / Turn indicators 60 81.08%
Verbally abusing the slower driver a la taxi / rickshaw drivers 9 12.16%
Other than above (please mention) 7 9.46%
I don't signal at all, I simply overtake 15 20.27%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2007, 20:53   #31
BHPian

well if someone overtakes when i want to overtake i use my indicator and pretend to side swipe his car and i take of, dangerous (yes) fun (yes) am i a lunatic (yes).
Old 4th March 2007, 21:55   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
Anyway, here is my overtaking procedure (for daytime):
1. Honk very lightly. If this doesn't work,
2. Standard one-beep honk. If this also doesn't work,
3. Honk-Honk-Honk-Honk. If this also doesn't work,
4. Check the road on the left side, if empty, overtake from left. Else,
5. Get stuck behind the slow..... and boring.
Woah man!! So much 'preparation'!!

Well I on my part have come to realise that the people (majority of them) who do give a pass to the faster moving vehicles, are either not in the overtaking lane, or keep an eye on their RVMs and move left immediately with/without indication.

So I give a loud enough honk, and if nothing happens.... Left lane overtaking is done.. (I know its wrong, but what to do in our traffic condtts...)
Old 4th March 2007, 23:38   #33
Team-BHP Support

Ah! Today I wanted to vent about this and lucky thing I found this thread on time.

I don't get to deal in this lane/shane business, all the highways around my area are good old 2 lane roads, no lanes to change. If you have to overtake, you gotta shift to the oncoming traffic lane and make your quick pass.

Whenever I want to pass somebody, this is what I do. Wait for clear stretch on the oncoming lane, accelerate enough to get the passing speed, switch to right lane, give one short honk to communicate my intention, start overtaking after 1-2 seconds and finish the overtake and back to the left lane within 5 seconds. If I don't see clear stretch enough to do it in the given speed in 5 seconds, I don't even attempt the overtake.

So, what is my vent? The pham, pham, pham, pham... nuts. Say I am driving on the only lane that goes forward, the other lane is for the oncoming traffic. Every now and then, some character pulls up behind me and goes Pham, pham, pham, pham.... What do these people want, if I am too slow for them, shift to the right, pass me. What am I supposed to do, get off the road and let the highnesses pass by? Ok, I actually know what these people want. They want me to slow down further, so that they can pass me quickly. In other words, these characters usually fall into 3 categories:

1) Cars with less power, so they can't muster the quick passing power at the going speed.
2) Drivers who don't want to speed up enough to get the passing power. Instead they want me to slow down enough to enable them a quick pass.
3) Drivers who can't wait for the oncoming traffic to clear. Instead they want me to get off to the side to let them ahead.

Sorry guys, whenever somebody starts off with the pham, pham, pham... this is how I handle it. Wait for a clear stretch, and then tear away with a burst. If you don't have the ability to pass me at my current speed, you better remain behind me. But I don't want to listen your pham, pham, pham.. either, so I put some distance in between.

However, when somebody comes behind me showing clear intention to overtake, but not bother me with pham, pham, pham... I do nothing, because they can pass me without any spoon feeding from my side. Some times I even slow down to help them, as appreciation for not irritating me with pham, pham, pham, pham, pham, pham...
Old 4th March 2007, 23:46   #34
Team-BHP Support

What if someone like you mistook your single pham while overtaking for the irritating pham and sped up to not let you overtake?

There are those type of people as well. they have an underpowered car or they are slow and when you want to pass they dont like it and actually speed up during the overtaking maneuvre.

that really gets me bugged. the only solution I have found for these people is brut force, shift down mash throttle on clear stretch surprising them and push them to the side by cutting right in front of them then immediately slowing them so he has to slow down and then again mash throttle and disapper. that way the gap will increase. Learnt that in F1 after a safety car period the rolling start.
Old 5th March 2007, 00:23   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
What if someone like you mistook your single pham while overtaking for the irritating pham and sped up to not let you overtake?
Then I just switch back to the left lane. But I am usually much faster (20-25%) than the passe and on the oncoming traffic lane when I do my single short pham. Therefore, the passe needs a very powerful car to undo my attempt.

Quote:
There are those type of people as well. they have an underpowered car or they are slow and when you want to pass they dont like it and actually speed up during the overtaking maneuvre.
That can happen if you are trying to pass with only 10% higher speed, in a two-lane situation with oncoming traffic, you need to pass much faster.

Quote:
that really gets me bugged. the only solution I have found for these people is brut force, shift down mash throttle on clear stretch surprising them and push them to the side by cutting right in front of them then immediately slowing them so he has to slow down and then again mash throttle and disapper.
That's road rage man. I don't recommend it at all. If somebody reacts angrily at your overtake attempt, just back off. Surely you don't want innocent people getting hurt.
Old 7th March 2007, 00:30   #36
BHPian

Headlamp Flash, if he doesnt give me way, then yeah keep honking till he lets me pass..

Most Viewed