Team-BHP > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2020, 09:06   #16
Senior - BHPian
 
arindambasu13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,181
Thanked: 1,278 Times
Default re: Ever felt like an imposter?

Dont subscribe to the logic at all. In fact, it is pretty unlikely that I would be be able to afford a very expensive car until much later in life, if at all, but that does in no way imply that I am any less of a car enthusiast with my ownership of Hondas and Marutis! If anything, it makes my thirst for knowledge about the "exotics" even more driving me to gather more and more knowledge about them. In a nutshell, never have felt or will feel like an impostor at any point in time. Its just a love for things automotive just like almost everyone else on this forum, and irrespective of what I own. Heck, I might even not own a single set of wheels, but will still remain as enthusiastic about them as I have always been.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2020, 09:14   #17
Team-BHP Support
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 13,718
Thanked: 41,442 Times
Default re: Ever felt like an imposter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubbertramps View Post
If my B & M friends don't judge me based on my ride!
Well, that speaks more about them - than about you, doesn't it?

And you'll never be able to keep up! There's always someone with a bigger toy - we live in a world where people smash, airdrop and drown their BMWs and exotic cars to prove a point.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th January 2020, 09:32   #18
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 963
Thanked: 2,167 Times
Default re: Ever felt like an imposter?

Do you need to own a gun to watch War movies enthusiastically?
Do you need to have a complete cricket kit to play gully cricket with passion?
Do you need to own an iPhone to have the android vs iOS debate? (and vice versa)
Do you need to be a meat eater to discuss protein sources in diets?
Do you need to own a winery or distillery or even a home bar to discuss about alcohol?
Do you need to own land to discuss organic farming?
Do you need to own a Husky or Great Dean to discuss about pets?

The above question should give you my answer to your dilemma?

However, if you see my posts, I have no opinion on Big 3 Germans on the forum, because I havent bought one yet. I discuss stuff i understand and have an opinion about. If I start speaking of the ride and handling of the 7 Series without ever having sat in one, THEN I AM AN IMPOSTER!
2000rpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2020, 09:46   #19
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 153
Thanked: 250 Times
Default re: Ever felt like an imposter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubbertramps View Post
Yep. Agreed. Its just that I feel like a hypocrite sometimes.

If my B & M friends don't judge me based on my ride !!

Yep.. But someday I need to experience the pleasure of driving/owning one.
I agree with most sentiments expressed; we are here because we are passionate about cars. While we cannot change the way others react, we should feel nothing but pride in the way we are! Let me quote an apt line from the movie "Cool Runnings":
A gold medal (replace appropriately) is a wonderful thing; but if you're not enough without it, you'll never be enough with it.
pnredkar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2020, 09:47   #20
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Delhi-NCR
Posts: 2,407
Thanked: 20,992 Times
Default re: Ever felt like an imposter?

My true confession....

My first love are aircrafts

My second love are warships , actually all ships

My third love are trains

My fourth love are commercial vehicles

.
.
.
.
.
.
.

And my fifth love are cars



I hope the Mods don't cancel my membership
V.Narayan is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 17th January 2020, 09:49   #21
BHPian
 
AMG Power's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: BLR
Posts: 659
Thanked: 3,157 Times
Default re: Ever felt like an imposter?

This is a wonderful situation to be in and you should be able to exploit it wonderfully.

In my apartment complex we have the Operations Director of one of the larger car manufacturing companies (B, M, J, V - not going to mention which one). Whenever we meet up and start discussing cars and getting technical, I find his lack of depth almost shocking. Sometimes I get the feeling he unnecessarily even fears that I could expose him.

In the same vein, given that you read up a lot about cars, you should be able to take the discussion with your friends to a qualitatively high level.

If your knowledge levels are good enough (I suspect they would be as you say you read up a lot on cars) then you would earn their respect not because of the car you drive but because of the wide knowledge that you have and believe you me that is a far more deeper respect / regard than the one you may or may not get for owning a particular brand of car.

That's a tip. Now get out there and have fun!

Last edited by AMG Power : 17th January 2020 at 10:04.
AMG Power is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2020, 10:29   #22
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: bang
Posts: 366
Thanked: 730 Times
Default re: Ever felt like an imposter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubbertramps View Post
Have you been in this situation before?

Is it Ok to talk about cars even when I own one which is a commuter car ?
Don't worry , it will wear off with age.

Look at me, i used to have a F40 and CB750 posters in my room as a student. Now i am at peace with my Caliber 115 and Alto K10 .

Now that there are numerous rental options, there is nothing preventing you from renting one of your dream B and M's. It would just assuage your yearnings for just a while and provide you with bragging rights.
srini1785 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2020, 10:39   #23
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 15
Thanked: 20 Times
Default re: Ever felt like an imposter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubbertramps View Post
Have you been in this situation before?

Is it Ok to talk about cars even when I own one which is a commuter car ?
After reading it, I find myself in you shoes. I bought my first car two years back. But I used to read about them a lot and also began to follow Team BHP. But whenever I use to give my thoughts about cars in family or friends, I was told to first buy one as if one who does not have a car cannot know about them.
So in a sense every other guy is an imposter.
BlackMamba24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2020, 12:38   #24
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 26
Thanked: 50 Times
Default re: Ever felt like an imposter?

Nice thread!

Think the tag "Imposter" is more suitable to someone at the opposite end of the spectrum. In my book, it would be someone who:
  • Owns a high end or premium car
  • Has knowledge of the badge value and price of the car
  • Has NO knowledge of the engineering and real strength of of his car
  • Has limited understanding of different cars and what makes them great beyond a badge
  • Engages in discussion on Automobiles as an expert solely based on the fact that they own a premium car

I have such examples in my circle and I am sure everyone has experienced it at some point
Kray is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th January 2020, 12:59   #25
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Red Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,634
Thanked: 5,694 Times
Default re: Ever felt like an imposter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubbertramps View Post

Is it Ok to talk about cars even when I own one which is a commuter car ?[/i]
Buy a nice fast little motorcycle or dual sport with the corresponding riding gear. Problem solved.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2020, 13:01   #26
Senior - BHPian
 
IshaanIan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hyd/B'lore
Posts: 2,824
Thanked: 4,110 Times
Default re: Ever felt like an imposter?

James May is passionate about cars and he is equally as passionate about his Fiat Panda. Nobody says an enthusiast must be passionate about and must own only cars above a certain price point. I am passionate about cars and have clocked the most miles in my Mom's WagonR I believe the tall center of gravity and generally floppy dynamics of the thing are what granted me a good understanding of how to control and manage weight shift which is super important when driving. I am very open about my love for my WagonR. Your Civic is nothing to be scoffed at either infact VTEC is something quite sweet and only someone who loves manuals and appreciates using up the entire revband of a motor, can understand what it is. Your buddys in their Mercs and Beemers probably cruise in 7th or 8th gear, stomp on the accelerator, get pinned back into their seats as the turbo spools and the cars take a second to drop to 3rd gear, hear the fake noises coming in through the speakers, and feel content about their cars. True enthusiasts can be enthusiastic about anything

Last edited by IshaanIan : 17th January 2020 at 13:02.
IshaanIan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th January 2020, 15:15   #27
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 75
Thanked: 143 Times
Default re: Ever felt like an imposter?

I can kinda understand your situation.

I have been following team bhp, quite actively that at least one tab on my desktop/ phone has been team bhp, for 8 yrs now but for some reason felt I was not qualified enough to post until I had my own ride and had driven it extensively.

I got it in 2016 and after putting 60K on it I thought it was finally time and applied in October.

Of course it should have never been a criteria but used to get intimidated by the posts and felt I couldn't add to the discussion without driving myself.

I guess this post also belongs to the introduce yourself section
anandhsub is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2020, 15:34   #28
BHPian
 
Hells Bells's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 281
Thanked: 432 Times
Default re: Ever felt like an imposter?

I love watches, cars, and music systems therefore I feel thrilled when I understand a bit more in each of these areas. I also realize I know more of these areas than an average Joe. Does it mean I own the marquee brands in each of these areas? Absolutely not! However, I do KNOW what separates average from best in these area which is what makes an enthusiast. Isn't that what's about being an enthusiast?
Hells Bells is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2020, 17:00   #29
Senior - BHPian
 
BANDHAV's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ghaziabad
Posts: 1,226
Thanked: 1,529 Times
Default re: Ever felt like an imposter?

Owning a fancy set of wheels could be an adavantage but it can't be a ground rule.

I am sure many bhpians here who are below the legal age for driving/riding, or the ones like Latheesh who doesn't own a car/bike but there is no stopping them in sharing their passion with like minded here.

On the contrary numerous rich people with expensive cars know zilch about their rides.

So my advice, blabber on.
BANDHAV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2020, 17:09   #30
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 24,165
Thanked: 6,596 Times
Default re: Ever felt like an imposter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubbertramps View Post
I don't know if I can call myself a car enthusiast.
Is it Ok to talk about cars even when I own one which is a commuter car?[/i]
See this. It is an interview with Valerie Ashby who is the Dean of the Trinity School of Arts and Sciences at Duke University. It may offer a deeper perspective to your imposter syndrome.


Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Your love of cars has nothing to do with what you can afford or what is available for you to buy. It's all about passion. .
Like TSK said above. What matters is passion, not the pocketbook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
My true confession....
And my fifth love are cars
I hope the Mods don't cancel my membership
Let's see... my first love is my family, then my work, then my friends, then music, then more friends, and more music. You get the drift.

I rarely drive. I never drive between 9 am and 9 pm. I couldn't care less what car I am sitting in as long as it is fairly comfortable and gets me to where I am going.

And I am a Mod. So you are pretty safe.

Last edited by navin : 17th January 2020 at 17:18.
navin is offline   (7) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2020, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks