Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2020, 13:33   #1
Senior - BHPian

RBI's new debit & credit card rules - All you need to know

The new debit and credit card rules shall come into effect from March 16, 2020.

Quote:
The Reserve Bank of India on Wednesday issued new rules for credit and debit cards to improve user convenience and increase the security of card transactions. The bank said in the notification that over the years, the volume and value of transactions made through cards have increased manifold.

So, in order to improve user convenience and increase the security of card transactions, new rules are issued. The directions are issued under Section 10(2) of the Payment and Settlement Systems Act, 2007 (Act 51 of 2007) and shall come into effect from March 16, 2020.

Here's all you need to know:
1. The central bank asked banks to allow only domestic card transactions at ATMs and PoS terminals in India at the time of issuance/re-issuance of the card.

2. For international transactions, online transactions, card-not-present transactions and contactless transactions, customers will have to separately set up services on their card.

3. Those with old cards can decide whether to disable any of these features.

4. For existing cards, issuers may take a decision, based on their risk perception, whether to disable the card not present (domestic and international) transactions, international transactions and contactless transaction rights. Existing cards which have never been used for online/international/contactless transactions shall be mandatorily disabled for this purpose.

5. Users will have 24x7 access to switch ON/OFF or change all transaction limits via all available channels — mobile application/internet banking/ATMs/Interactive Voice Response (IVR).

As per the notification, issuers shall provide to all cardholders facility to switch on/off and set/modify transaction limits (within the overall card limit, if any, set by the issuer) for all types of transactions – domestic and international, at PoS/ATMs/online transactions/contactless transactions, etc.,*It is worth mentioning that the provisions are not mandatory for prepaid gift cards and those used at mass transit systems.
Source: https://www.timesnownews.com/busines...to-know/540633

Last edited by ruzbehxyz : 18th January 2020 at 13:34.
Old 18th January 2020, 14:10   #2
BANNED

re: RBI's new debit & credit card rules - All you need to know

If there can be this option of switching on or off the card for transactions; that will be huge relief for me. I have already once gone through a fraudulent transaction settlement process - it was harrowing.

They told me that 'The Citi never sleeps' while giving the card, but the Citi slept that night; while I was also tight asleep. Later the Citi assured that they close their eyes and ears both to my issue and started giving me thousand different reasons over why I should pay a fraction of the amount deducted; because they couldn't reverse those particular transations for nay reason.
Old 18th January 2020, 16:27   #3
Team-BHP Support

Some of these services have been available for a while.

My ICICI credit/debit cards have toggle options on the app for most transaction types, and I can set separate credit limits for primary and add-on cards too.

Very helpful for someone who only occasionally transacts internationally, and will also protect customers who don't pay attention to these details and just use cards as they got it.
Old 18th January 2020, 16:30   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
If there can be this option of switching on or off the card for transactions; that will be huge relief for me. I have already once gone through a fraudulent transaction settlement process - it was harrowing.

They told me that 'The Citi never sleeps' while giving the card, but the Citi slept that night; while I was also tight asleep. Later the Citi assured that they close their eyes and ears both to my issue and started giving me thousand different reasons over why I should pay a fraction of the amount deducted; because they couldn't reverse those particular transations for nay reason.
Do you mean Citibank? I usually get a call asking if I authorized some unusual transactions.

Most Viewed