Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2020, 00:59   #1066
Senior - BHPian

re: The Coronavirus Thread

Chancellor Angela Merkel in quarantine after contact with doctor who tested positive for coronavirus

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/22/chan...ronavirus.html

Latest person who tested +ve from my hometown is known to my mother. He came from abroad and his house ~ 2km from ours.

Last edited by Latheesh : 23rd March 2020 at 01:15.
Latheesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 01:58   #1067
BHPian

I DO NOT intend to create panic, but this news from Pakistan is really really not good. Absolutely shocking.

Young male Doctor, as young as 26 years, contracted COVID-19 while treating patients and worse, finally died on Sunday. May his soul RIP.

Read more here - https://tribune.com.pk/story/2181846...ltistan/?amp=1

- Dr. Vivek
Attached Thumbnails
The Coronavirus Thread-screenshot_20200323015507.jpg  

vivek95 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 02:14   #1068
BHPian

USA springing up surprise today.8k cases in a day.
Trump will be furious with china now.
I am sure his presidential election chances are getting grimmer .

Last edited by redcruiser : 23rd March 2020 at 02:18.
redcruiser is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 03:48   #1069
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
I DO NOT intend to create panic, but this news from Pakistan is really really not good. Absolutely shocking.

Young male Doctor, as young as 26 years, contracted COVID-19 while treating patients and worse, finally died on Sunday. May his soul RIP. ... ... ...
What I am reading from UK is that NHS doctors and workers are living and working with the fear and expectation that they will not all survive. Especially as the UK govt is giving them inferior protective clothing.

Medicine is a tough front line to be working on these days --- my respect and gratitude to you all.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 03:55   #1070
BHPian

With the decision of making Janta Curfew dramatic by showing support at 5pm, we will be seeing sudden jump in the new cases in the coming weeks as its purpose was defeated all over the country. It was appalling to see many places it was planned and organized gatherings.

https://thewire.in/society/coronavir...curfew-racketh
AnandB is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 08:39   #1071
BHPian

Question to people living in apartments. What is your apartment doing to promote social distancing?

In my case, our association has stopped all home deliveries. Food, Amazon deliveries, and anything else must be collected from the gate.

Then they decided to stop entry of all workers including domestic helps and nannies. This resulted in a lot of anger, since most people are working from home, and this will make working difficult for people with small children at home.
KL01toKA03 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 08:54   #1072
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL01toKA03 View Post
Question to people living in apartments. What is your apartment doing to promote social distancing?

In my case, our association has stopped all home deliveries. Food, Amazon deliveries, and anything else must be collected from the gate.

Then they decided to stop entry of all workers including domestic helps and nannies. This resulted in a lot of anger, since most people are working from home, and this will make working difficult for people with small children at home.
Same here.
I don't understand the part where people are angry about the help not coming in, though. Do they really want someone who has massive public exposure, whether in the apartments, or at their homes, into your place just cause you can't clean your own place, wash your own utensils?
In that case, they should also sign away any medical privilege too, because they've literally brought it down on themselves.
mayankk is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 09:28   #1073
BHPian

Quote:

Same everywhere.

In my place they cheered when the newspaper and car wash persons were stopped (these happen without them entering homes in most of the cases, no contact services), but stiff resistance from a few when it came to house helps, suddenly virus becomes less of a hazard, "if they don't show symptoms, why not let them enter" although the same logic was not applicable for the other services. Good thing to know was that most folks in our apartment were in favor of not allowing house helps and practically everyone ready to give them full pay.

It came to a conclusion when it was known that a few of the house helps in a neighboring apartment were Covid19 suspects and now we have help allowed only for elderly living alone, women nearing childbirth or just after.

It is said that the best of humanity is seen in the hours of adversity and it was sad to see healthy adults saying that they cannot manage their offspring and ancestors for a couple of weeks without hired help. Minimizing the exposure is the best way to protect the family and leaving the protection to the dispositions of hired security at the gate seems too illogical. In the end, in a place full of educated professionals, the security staff will make the medical decision on whether the inbound help is Covid19 or not!
sun_king is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 09:31   #1074
Team-BHP Support

Our office elevator this morning – squares drawn to reduce packing of elevators!

The Coronavirus Thread-office-lift.jpg

Last edited by vb-saan : 23rd March 2020 at 12:49.
vb-saan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 09:33   #1075
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Same here.
I don't understand the part where people are angry about the help not coming in, though. Do they really want someone who has massive public exposure, whether in the apartments, or at their homes, into your place just cause you can't clean your own place, wash your own utensils?
In that case, they should also sign away any medical privilege too, because they've literally brought it down on themselves.
I guess what irks people is that the association has not enforced a total shutdown. That is, people still go outside for work and shopping, where they can potentially be infected. Newspapers and milk delivery is allowed. At the same time they are stopping even people who look after children (working only in one house the entire day) so that the parents can work from home. This is even more difficult in homes with children and only one parent.

I agree with the idea of a voluntary shutdown, and I think people should avoid contact with the outside world. At the same time, exceptions can be given to the needy, till a time when the government feels that the situation is dire, and comes up with stricter guidelines.

Before anyone asks, I will explain my situation. I have 2 kids (2 and 4 year old) that need constant attention. My wife and I give time to kids whenever needed, and work from home for longer than we would have done in office (to avoid anyone feeling that we slacked off). We do not have anyone else to look after the kids since my mother-in-law who was usually with us is stuck in Kerala. We manage fine without any help. However, that doesn't stop me from empathizing with others like elderly people staying alone, or kids with special needs.

Last edited by KL01toKA03 : 23rd March 2020 at 09:38.
KL01toKA03 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 09:36   #1076
Distinguished - BHPian

Virus Cases in India reaches 417 and 7 deaths. Maharashtra is the worst with 89 cases.

Source:India Today
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 09:38   #1077
BHPian

Quote:

In some cases, it eventually boils down to what are the laws and guidelines. Are apartments/housing societies entitled to restrict who come to your home or not?

I would think the thumb rule should be to implement guidelines and recommendations provided by respective municipalities e.g. shutting down the swimming pool, club house, gymnasiums, party hall etc. Even these are debatable e.g. why should a tennis court be locked, given tennis is a non-contact sport; BUT in the larger scheme of things, these are easier to implement as the municipal authorities have clear guidelines. Any proactive measures (good, bad or ugly) beyond this will lead to an inconclusive debate between social distancing v/s an individual's right/independence. Very touchy topic.

I know of some place, where the society (perhaps) went overboard in restricting entry/access, only for one of the apartment dwellers to file an FIR and police to intervene and restore normalcy.
sachinayak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 09:40   #1078
BHPian

More than 8000 people in observation in my district, Thrissur, is what I just heard from news. Makes it the highest in Kerala. All due to a British national who had Covid 19 attended a popular festival.

Of that, around 8 in serious observation, which means they might be positive cases.

Last edited by SaiSW : 23rd March 2020 at 09:41.
SaiSW is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 09:40   #1079
BHPian

Quote:
I
I agree with the idea of a voluntary shutdown, and I think people should avoid contact with the outside world. At the same time, exceptions can be given to the needy, till a time when the government feels that the situation is dire, and comes up with stricter guidelines.
I feel that the situation is already dire especially in the metros, just that the numbers are yet to bear that out. There will always be exceptions, but imagine the difficulty of allowing and exempting one man's exception over another.
hothatchaway is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 10:13   #1080
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

There is a big debate currently in our society , whether to allow the daily Milk supplying e-commerce websites like BBDaily and Milkbasket, inside the society.

During the normal times, the Milkbasket delivery guy would deliver the milk packets/grocery/vegetables at the doorstep at around 5 am, without ringing the bell.

Now, the apartment AOA has decided that these e-commerce delivery agents be not allowed beyond Main gate of apartment.

What that would mean is asking people to come out of their homes in morning (around 6 am), and collect the milk packets/grocery/veggies from the main gate themselves, from the delivery partners.

The pro of this approach is that it protects any potentially infected delivery guy from entering the society.

The con of this approach is that it makes residents go outside of their homes till the main gate, and potentially crowed the main gate to collect their respective grocery packets.
DCEite is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks