Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2020, 11:33   #1156
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Coronavirus Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
Can anyone living in the first world countries comment how is the lockdown enforced there ?? Mumbai seems to be very strict here.
Not first-world exactly, but I connect daily with a colleague in Manila who's team is across Philippines and Indonesia - both the countries have been in lockdown mode since nearly a month - no domestic travel by air, rail or road; lockdowns across all cities; only essentials allowed at local groceries and medical stores; no open movement unless absolutely necessary.

So what I'm seeing in Mumbai (and surprisingly not that severely enforced at all in Bangalore or other cities) is very much required; albeit uncomfortable for all. I do hope all cities follow through on this.
ninjatalli is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th March 2020, 11:52   #1157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can anyone living in the first world countries comment how is the lockdown enforced there ?? Mumbai seems to be very strict here.
Madrid is very strict. Forget cars, anyone walking or cycling is thrashed by the police.

Folks can exit their house only to go to the pharmacy or grocery store. They allow only 2 people at a time into the grocery store so it can take upto two hours to enter the grocery store.

Army tanks are out on motorways and other roads.
AMG Power is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2020, 11:57   #1158
BHPian

An eminent cardiologist during a panel discussion on a popular Bengali news channel last evening talked about a statistic which he thought was crucial. That of the number of patients being admitted to hospital complaining of 'pneumonic' symptoms, regardless of travel history. This could be an early indicator of the onset of stage three. He felt that at present only those with an overseas travel history are in the testing ambit which is of course, for obvious reasons. He emphasized that this data (pneumonic symptoms) should be tracked and made available to the medical fraternity so that the infrastructure can prepare for what's ahead.

This made sense, perhaps doctors on the forum can comment.
hothatchaway is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 24th March 2020, 12:18   #1159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
He felt that at present only those with an overseas travel history are in the testing ambit which is of course, for obvious reasons.
I believe this is not true anymore. The latest guidelines from ICMR (since 20.03.2020) mentions that all hospitalized patients with severe respiratory illness must be tested for Covid-19.
StarrySky is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th March 2020, 12:26   #1160
BHPian

This is what could happen if going for self medication for coronavirus.
Quote:
An Arizona man died and his wife was hospitalized after officials said they treated themselves Sunday with a deadly home remedy for the new coronavirus — a popular fish tank additive that has the same active ingredient as an anti-malaria drug.

The drug, known as chloroquine phosphate or chloroquine, has been bandied about by President Donald Trump during White House briefings on the coronavirus pandemic as a potential “game changer” in the treatment of COVID-19.
Source
jayguar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th March 2020, 12:32   #1161
BANNED

Quote:
I hear that Italy has surrendered!

The west is still in a mess. The US has crossed 8000. UK took a 'Herd Immunity' approach. Now are clamping down.

With us the Janta Curfew went off very well, but the next day ... We are still not realizing the severity. Only major infraction on Sunday was a huge bunch of cars heading for Simla, who were turned back from the Himachal border. Now with trains & flights (from tonight) gone we will have to behave. Even today a huge crowd gathered to protest the removal of the squatters. Also, a large number of cars were seen at the DND - Delhi road. I hope the Gurgaon - Delhi road is not crowded today.

We are not strict enough, we need a near curfew.

Last edited by sgiitk : 24th March 2020 at 12:33.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2020, 12:35   #1162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
So what exactly does Maharashtra's Curfew mean?

- Will domestic help be allowed to come home?

- Will I be able to visit my mom - she stays 10 minutes away. Can I drive down or do I have to walk?
IT is not curfew.
It is section 144, which means no gathering of people and non-essential services are shut.

Kirana, Groceries, health care, Dairy etc will still remain open (though how long those people would want to keep it open is questionable). I got loads of stuff yesterday evening/night.

IF you are driving, you need to have a good enough reason (emergency etc). Walking in my opinion is much better and harmless option (in terms of facing the wrath of police) but still you need to have a good reason.

Last edited by alpha1 : 24th March 2020 at 12:37.
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2020, 12:35   #1163
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
With us the Janta Curfew went off very well, but the next day

Not even day. At 5:00 pm, people took to the streets & celebrated the defeat of the coronavirus.
carboy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th March 2020, 12:40   #1164
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry.

But I'm quite surprised at the low attendance on TBHP during lockdown! I was expecting to see the highest active user (members + visitors) record to get broken by now. Fairly low numbers so far! Things really have slowed down all around due to COVID-19 indeed.
Old 24th March 2020, 12:48   #1165
BHPian

Hello All. I am not sure if this is discussed elsewhere as I couldn't find via search. @Mods, please feel free to edit / move to where ever this is applicable.

Should I be worried about the Indian - Government / Other Authorities touching my cash in bank or restricting my access to my money? As a city dwelling knowledge worker, I don't have a lot of cash at home and my monthly expenses spend is mostly via google pay / Credit Card. The economic situation is getting much worse than before due to the Virus, and I suspect banks are not immune to this as well when delinquencies rise.

Also we have seen in the recent past from the Yes Bank and PMC saga that the govt. is not averse to passing restrictions on withdrawals. My worry is about having access to enough of my money to take care of necessities like hospital bills, groceries etc. which are higher in my case than an average house-hold. What do you suggest ? Am I worried for nothing? Is it better to diversify the funds in one bank which I operate mainly, into may be one more bank or withdraw at the earliest possibility ?
charanreddy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th March 2020, 12:52   #1166
BHPian

It's really sad to state that due to one irresponsible statement by Donald Trump on COVID 19, everyone around the world, including people in India have started hoarding drugs like Chloroquine and Hydroxychloroquine.

Recently today, a patient of mine who was diagnosed with Sjogren's Syndrome secondary to Systemic Lupus Erythematosus went to the pharmacy with prescription and was unable to get the drug anywhere due to stupid money hungry pharmacies handing out these drugs to people in fear without prescriptions like peanuts. So much so that I personally had to arrange the drug for the patient who actually needed it.

People have to understand that self medicating can be fatal, and a man has just died in Arizona due to foolishly self-medicating with Chloroquine to "protect" himself from COVID-19.

ICMR has issued guidelines as to who specifically requires prophylaxis with these drugs and that too WITH PRESCRIPTION ONLY.
I hope these pharmacies are fined heavily and/or lose their license for playing with people's lives by handing drugs without prescriptions. That too, not just one but 3-4 strips to a single person? Really?
Attached Thumbnails
The Coronavirus Thread-screenshot_20200324_124358.jpg  

Last edited by Starfire : 24th March 2020 at 12:56.
Starfire is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 24th March 2020, 12:59   #1167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
I believe this is not true anymore. The latest guidelines from ICMR (since 20.03.2020) mentions that all hospitalized patients with severe respiratory illness must be tested for Covid-19.
True.

The testing protocol has been changed.

Meanwhile still surprised at the testing numbers. As per this article, ( https://www.thehindu.com/data/data-k...le31146300.ece ) Kerala has tested the highest number of people for COVID 19. I suspected this due to the high number of cases in Kerala as well. But I was surprised to see the gap. More than double the number of tests as the next highest number (Maharashtra) and almost 6 times on per lakh basis than Karnataka.

More testing means more known confirmed cases. This is true even for India, so with the testing now expected to go up, please brace for higher number of confirmed cases.

Quote:
Just got off call with my Italian Colleague.

In Genova, the lockdown is strict. People are allowed to leave their houses only if they have a valid reason. My colleague went to empty the trash across the street he stays and was questioned by Police on why he ventured out.

Every time you leave, you are expected to carry a paper with you detailing where you live, where you are going and for what purpose.
vibbs is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th March 2020, 13:26   #1168
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Here in Singapore we don’t have a complete shutdown, but control measures started as early as end Jan/beginning of Feb. And once orange alert was declared, many offices started work-from-home arrangements or splitting the workforce to do alternate weeks or days (as of part of BCP). Now with no. of cases further going up, there are more control measures in place, but without much hinderance to people movement within the country. Shops and establishments are still open, schools and offices are functioning, but all visitors travel are stopped, and from overseas only returning citizens and residents allowed. And all of them who enter country must serve a mandatory 14 days Stay Home Notice (SHN). This bit is strictly enforced with officials doing random checks/visits and tracking the resident’s location via phone GPS. The SHN folks should not even step out for any reason.

Other than this, other measures like social distancing in possible ways are recommended (e.g.; a minimum of 1m distance between restaurant tables, 1m safe distance between people in queue etc.).

Having said that, I personally believe the lock-down measures in India is quite appropriate. Here the public has got the discipline to comply as a standard (with or without current scenario), whereas in India for every 1 person willing to comply, we will see another 10 waiting to break the rules. I would say strict enforcement is ideal in the current situation.

Last edited by vb-saan : 24th March 2020 at 15:51.
vb-saan is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 24th March 2020, 13:42   #1169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charanreddy View Post
Hello All. I am not sure if this is discussed elsewhere as I couldn't find via search. @Mods, please feel free to edit / move to where ever this is applicable.
Should I be worried about the Indian - Government / Other Authorities touching my cash in suggest ? Am I worried for nothing? Is it better to diversify the funds in one bank which I operate mainly, into may be one more bank or withdraw at the earliest possibility ?
Anything that you have heard or read which is causing you to say this? Would be good to share that!
If not, it may be the current situation which is playing on your mind, which is the case with most of us. If what you are saying comes to pass, there will be pandemonium and bigger things to worry about than just access to the bank.
I suggest you keep only what is necessary for daily expenses and what could be needed in the event of small exigencies, even if you rely on e wallets. That should be it. No need to rush to the bank and pull out big sums and spark another panic. In terms of dividing your savings across banks is a different topic where whole threads are devoted to.

Stay safe!
hothatchaway is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2020, 13:56   #1170
BANNED

Slowly but surely the situation is changing to 'when' from 'if' for the infection.

We have a big number of people who depend on daily wages.

We have so many homeless people who have nowhere to go. They are not even looked at as human. Who will test them?

The only comparable country in population and vastness is China. From what I have seen, the poverty levels are not at the levels of India.

Do we have a plan to save the people who are not a part of the mainstream? This is another issue that needs to be dealt with.

Please correct me if I am missing something.
Mafia is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed