Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2020, 16:38   #1186
BHPian

re: The Coronavirus Thread

HANTAVIRUS

By now you must have come across the news that, a person in China's Yunnan province died because of this viral disease. Let me keep this very very simple without much ado -

1) This DOES NOT spread from human to human. Please don't get panicked by the hashtag Facebook posts and tweets and what not. Relax, absolutely relax !

2) A person contracts Hantavirus only after coming into contact with infected rodents. Yes, its a highly fatal disease but please DO NOT WORRY.

3) This is NOT going to be another Pandemic like COVID-19, please. Believe that God is kind on us and please be well informed. Don't give any attention to the trendings of Hantavirus. If you are curious, only refer the premium genuine websites like CDC and WHO. Spread the correct information to your friends, family members and the larger public to absolutely not worry about this Hantavirus.

Regrads,
Dr. Vivek

Mods can kindly move this post elsewhere if doesn't seem appropriate here in Coronavirus thread.

Last edited by vivek95 : 24th March 2020 at 16:39.
vivek95 is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 24th March 2020, 16:48   #1187
BHPian

I work in a MNC in Siruseri, Chennai. On ground, do not know what is actually going on in heart of Chennai since I stay very far from actual city.

My office functioned yesterday but very few people worked, others were in the process of taking their desktops home with proper authorization.

Since curfew is being imposed, today I went to office to take my desktop home. The office is being closed and no employee is being allowed inside the campus post 3.30 PM.
bvasista is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2020, 17:03   #1188
AZT
BHPian

Some good news of tech being used to combat the virus.

Quote:
LONDON (Reuters) - Britain has approached Amazon and other companies about using their services to step up the delivery of coronavirus tests to frontline health workers, the Financial Times reported on Monday.
The newspaper said businesses with established delivery networks could be used to deliver tests to medical workers, and to the general public at a later stage.
The government has said it is trying to step up the delivery of tests to health workers so they know when they can and cannot work.

Source - https://in.reuters.com/article/us-he...-idINKBN21A1UG
AZT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2020, 17:05   #1189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Meanwhile I read news that China has eased travel curbs on Wuhan. Dont know if this is a good or bad news!
No not now. They have announced April 08 2020 as the date from when travel curbs will be relaxed in Wuhan.
Old 24th March 2020, 17:13   #1190
Senior - BHPian

As much as China to be blamed in this entire scenario, each country has to bear its share of blame because of its sheer incompetency / carelessness towards not considering this epidemic in China to be a threat to their own country. Every country including our own India, was very much informed through the media coverages from Wuhan. Not sure what made authorities to not take a proactive step of screening and putting incoming international travelers on quarantine for 14 day period before they were allowed to enter communities for everyone’s good. Nothing against international travelers but this would’ve avoided the scenario of outbreaks in each country.

I am still seeing a lot of individuals roaming around carelessly putting themselves & their own families at risk which they are failing to understand.

I know our government are putting extreme efforts to contain the virus spread but we as citizens should understand and cooperate with authorities, which I don’t see happening.

Hope things settle down.
gururajrv is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th March 2020, 17:22   #1191
BHPian

COVID-19 tests in India are expected to surge upwards in the coming days. Two updates -
1) ICMR has included 118 government laboratories in their network of coronavirus testing. The network now has the capacity to test 12,000 samples a day. Additionally, 22 private laboratory chains, with about 15,500 collection centres, have been registered.
2) Pune-based, Mylab Discovery Solutions, has developed India's first indigenous novel coronavirus testing kit. The company claims that it can manufacture over 15,000 testing kits per day and will subsequently ramp up to 25,000 kits per day. The kit has been approved by ICMR.

Last edited by greenoval : 24th March 2020 at 17:27.
greenoval is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th March 2020, 17:35   #1192
BHPian

Since morning today, the incremental number of new cases in India is constant at 12. Neither is there an update on the ministry site. Covidout website is also shutdown. Have they started restricting data flow and started suppressing "official" figures? Or is there another site from where the real scenario may be seen?
lapis_lazuli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2020, 17:42   #1193
BHPian

Italian coronavirus cases likely '10 times higher than reported'
The number of cases of coronavirus in Italy is probably 10 times higher than the official tally of almost 64,000, the head of the agency that is collating the data said on Tuesday. Testing for the disease has often been limited to people seeking hospital care, meaning that thousands of cases have certainly gone undetected.

ToI has pretty decent daily live updates related to Covid-19.
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...g/74783769.cms
AnandB is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th March 2020, 17:44   #1194
BHPian

https://www.firstpost.com/health/man...84521.html/amp

Quote:
Even as the coronavirus outbreak takes the world by storm, a number of other diseases are also rearing their ugly heads. Cases of swine flu and bird flu have already been reported in India and other countries. Now, a man from China has tested positive for hantavirus.

China’s Global Times tweeted that the man from Yunnan Province died while on his way back to Shandong Province for work on a bus on Monday. The 32 other people on the bus were also tested for the virus.
Whats happening guys?? I feel like I am in a movie!
nagr22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2020, 17:46   #1195
AZT
BHPian

Re: Effects of Coronavirus on the global economy

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Our total cases are still less than 500 when US reported 5000 cases in a single day. India has one of the lowest per million affected cases.
This is a very simplistic way of looking at it. We have the least number of cases because we also have the least number of testing done, in general and also per million. I am happy with the Maharashtra, Bengal and Kerala govt responses. At the central level pre 18th March we dropped the ball, interstate travel should have been stopped a lot earlier. Hand sanitizers and masks being sold at 300% markup again made it out of reach for many people and social Media was rampant with silly myths, cracking down on these small things early on can make a big difference later.
AZT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2020, 17:46   #1196
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagr22 View Post

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...ml#post4775839
carboy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th March 2020, 17:48   #1197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagr22 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
HANTAVIRUS

By now you must have come across the news that, a person in China's Yunnan province died because of this viral disease. Let me keep this very very simple without much ado -

1) This DOES NOT spread from human to human. Please don't get panicked by the hashtag Facebook posts and tweets and what not. Relax, absolutely relax !

2) A person contracts Hantavirus only after coming into contact with infected rodents. Yes, its a highly fatal disease but please DO NOT WORRY.

3) This is NOT going to be another Pandemic like COVID-19, please. Believe that God is kind on us and please be well informed. Don't give any attention to the trendings of Hantavirus. If you are curious, only refer the premium genuine websites like CDC and WHO. Spread the correct information to your friends, family members and the larger public to absolutely not worry about this Hantavirus.

Regrads,
Dr. Vivek

Mods can kindly move this post elsewhere if doesn't seem appropriate here in Coronavirus thread.
Please take a look at this post from Dr. Vivek
naveenroy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th March 2020, 17:58   #1198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
As much as China to be blamed in this entire scenario, each country has to bear its share of blame because of its sheer incompetency / carelessness towards not considering this epidemic in China to be a threat to their own country. Every country including our own India, was very much informed through the media coverages from Wuhan. Not sure what made authorities to not take a proactive step of screening and putting incoming international travelers on quarantine for 14 day period before they were allowed to enter communities for everyone’s good. Nothing against international travelers but this would’ve avoided the scenario of outbreaks in each country.
I guess countries can't close all air-travel and shutdown many things unless UN declares it as a Pandemic. UN failed to act quickly and declared it as a pandemic only after it had spread across the world. Even as late as mid Jan the official UN WHO statements mentioned that this virus will not spread through human to human contact. Time to disband the WHO if this organisation can be this biased to a country.
whencut86 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th March 2020, 18:14   #1199
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Effects of Coronavirus on the global economy

Japanese PM and IOC chief agree to postpone 2020 Olympics.

Quote:
Japan's Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and International Olympic Committee (IOC) president Thomas Bach agreed Tuesday to postpone the Olympics by about one year.

Abe put the suggestion to Bach, who agreed that the latest date the Olympics will be held is summer 2021.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 24th March 2020 at 18:16.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2020, 18:16   #1200
Senior - BHPian

So Olympics has been postponed to 2021.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/olympics...ates-reaction/

Any information about the latest numbers from India?

It is hard to come by. Is there any sort of blockage to reveal the real numbers?

Last edited by vibbs : 24th March 2020 at 18:17.
vibbs is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed