Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2020, 10:18   #1081
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Coronavirus Thread

A couple of questions for the doctors on the thread:

1. Retro-virals: For H1N1, scientists were able to use Oseltamivir pretty quickly. (I remember because I spent one tense night going from government hospital to government hospital looking for Tamiflu for my wife who had tested positive for H1N1 back then, finally found some stock at midnight.) I understand that post the outbreak, it was found not really that effective. Is that the reason no retro viral is being prescribed as of yet for Covid-19? I also read that they did a trial and found it ineffective and they are trying to re-purpose some others to do the job. So I guess Covid-19 is fundamentally different from any of the other influenza-type outbreaks?

2. Vaccines: I understand that there is a vaccine for H1N1, but how come it was not mandated after the outbreak or is still not mandated like a lot of other vaccines? Is it because a large part of the population is already immune to H1N1? So once this Covid-19 outbreak dies down and there is a suitable vaccine, will that be mandated? (Again, I guess the base question is how is Covid-19 different from the other flu-causing viruses.)

I tried to read up on these, but couldn't find out enough. Thanks for your time in advance!

Last edited by am1m : 23rd March 2020 at 10:19.
am1m is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 10:22   #1082
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Now, the apartment AOA has decided that these e-commerce delivery agents be not allowed beyond Main gate of apartment.
Is there any scientific basis to this practice? The virus can stay alive on surfaces for a few hours. So, instead of potentially infecting a few people, won't this step potentially put more people at risk?
KL01toKA03 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 11:12   #1083

Apollo chain of hospitals has released a self-assessment test to assess the level of risk in exposure to Covid 19. You can access through the below link......

https://covid.apollo247.com/?utm_sou...gn=bot_scanner
MasterChief is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 12:02   #1084
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
A couple of questions for the doctors on the thread:

1. Retro-virals: For H1N1, scientists were able to use Oseltamivir pretty quickly. (I remember because I spent one tense night going from government hospital to government hospital looking for Tamiflu for my wife who had tested positive for H1N1 back then, finally found some stock at midnight.) I understand that post the outbreak, it was found not really that effective. Is that the reason no retro viral is being prescribed as of yet for Covid-19? I also read that they did a trial and found it ineffective and they are trying to re-purpose some others to do the job. So I guess Covid-19 is fundamentally different from any of the other influenza-type outbreaks?

2. Vaccines: I understand that there is a vaccine for H1N1, but how come it was not mandated after the outbreak or is still not mandated like a lot of other vaccines? Is it because a large part of the population is already immune to H1N1? So once this Covid-19 outbreak dies down and there is a suitable vaccine, will that be mandated? (Again, I guess the base question is how is Covid-19 different from the other flu-causing viruses.)

I tried to read up on these, but couldn't find out enough. Thanks for your time in advance!
1) Osealtimivir is NOT an Anti-Retroviral drug. Its an anti-viral but belongs to the class of anti-influenza drugs. There is a whole different class of anti-retroviral drugs viz. those used in HIV. Ofcourse, Anti-retrovirals are being reserved for emergency use in COVID-19 patients only in selected cases as there is no enough evidence or research to back up its efficacy in Sars-Cov2. Lopinavir and Ritonavir ( both Anti-retrovirals ) are used in COVID-19 in highly selected critical cases BUT at the total discretion of treating physician. Other drugs with anecdotal evidences are - Hydroxychloroquine, Remdesivir and Favipravir. Since, 80% of the COVID-19 infections are mild, there is no need for Antivirals, symptomatic support alone will take care of the body and get rid of the virus. Sars-Cov2 virus as such is fundamentally and structurally different from Influenza viruses but COVID-19 disease is not entirely different from the previous outbreaks. Its thought to be more contagious though than the recent H1N1 pandemic in 2009. 2018 Nipah virus was more lethal yet not that contagious as COVID-19. So, Sars-Cov2 is notorious in that sense.

2. I don't have an answer to this question as to why the H1N1 vaccine is not made mandatory to the general public. But for us working in the healthcare, we receive the vaccine for H1N1 every year at our hospital. It is mandatory for us. H1N1 vaccine also had taken around 9-10 months from research to use. Let us keep our fingers crossed for COVID-19 too.

That said, even I am not sure about a lot of things about this novel Coronavirus as I am directly not involved in any clinical or microbiological research or any drug trial. However, history is witness to the fact that God has given the necessary insight, knowledge and strength to mankind to fight such viruses. I firmly believe in Almighty and also firmly believe that its a matter of time this virus can be conquered too but not until we humans have acknowledged our mistakes and learnt our lessons.

-Dr. Vivek
vivek95 is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 12:08   #1085
BHPian

Are private vehicles ola outstation cabs allowed to go out of KA to TN ? Please clarify based on actual experience. Various news outlets say 'borders are sealed'. Did anyone try exiting/entering KA from other states?
Old 23rd March 2020, 12:22   #1086
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
The pro of this approach is that it protects any potentially infected delivery guy from entering the society.

The con of this approach is that it makes residents go outside of their homes till the main gate, and potentially crowed the main gate to collect their respective grocery packets.
Are residents that dumb to crowd the main gate? Like during famines people crowd and jump over each other for food and water packets. Or are they in a competition to get their milk packets as if somebody else would take it if they didn't pick it up first.

We are facing a pandemic now and at least educated people must realise that. These are very small inconveniences one has to face to conquer a much bigger problem.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 25th March 2020 at 12:26. Reason: As requested.
bharatbits is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 12:27   #1087
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
We are about to face an acute shortage of resources soon. She is already infected and actually she is the one who is being isolated from healthy individuals. That means there is nothing wrong in the procedure, if she is put in a general ward along with other covid-19 affected persons.

Here, she is provided a single room with a/c, separate toilet and TV, gluten free food and the main thing : a separate air handling unit running solely for her.

With the things that she has done, I think the utmost luxury that should be provided to her is a female general ward.
She was/is the first case of Covid19 in Lucknow, so is bound to be isolated. No other Covid cases there. The SGPGI has central A/C. There must be some rooms with separate ACs for the transplant cases, I guess, (they are very active in Kidney replacement).

Why is SGPGI used for Covid quarantine, I do not know. There are KGMU, Civil Hospital and Balrampur Hospitals also there.

Last edited by sgiitk : 23rd March 2020 at 12:29.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 12:45   #1088
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbits View Post
Are residents that dumb to not crowd the main gate? Like during famines people crowd and jump over each other for food and water packets. Or are they in a competition to get their milk packets as if somebody else would take it if they didn't pick it up first.

We are facing a pandemic now and at least educated people must realise that. These are very small inconveniences one has to face to conquer a much bigger problem.
What do you mean by residents that dumb to "not" crowd the main gate or do you mean residents that dumb to crowd the main gate ?

Anyway, I don't know how dumb the residents are. But the facts is that contactless *doorstep* delivery of daily items (milk/grocery/vegetables) is all the more important in today's time, rather than all of us stepping out of our homes for the same (going to the main gate or to local shops).

Prevention is better than cure. Let doorstep delivery of grocery and daily essentials be the main medium of shopping in today's times. Even if it costs a bit more, than buying from your local stores. Lets not go out of our homes and crowd local shops or society gates.

Last edited by DCEite : 23rd March 2020 at 12:47.
DCEite is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 12:54   #1089
BANNED

We are heading for a lockdown, and I see no way we can avoid it. Of course the behaviour of some will almost bring it on faster. Modi did not want to announce a Total lockdown but it looks inevitable.

We still do not understand the seriousness.
sgiitk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 13:02   #1090
Senior - BHPian

What is the stance regarding the malaria medicine? hydroxychloroquine
Old 23rd March 2020, 13:09   #1091
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Are private vehicles ola outstation cabs allowed to go out of KA to TN ? Please clarify based on actual experience. Various news outlets say 'borders are sealed'. Did anyone try exiting/entering KA from other states?
I have been looking around for similar information because of an upcoming trip from Hyd to Blr. So far I have the following two user experiences:

Case 1:
A KA resident was traveling from Bangalore to Chennai yesterday. He was allowed to pass through since he was driving a TN registered car.

Case 2:
Another KA resident, who was traveling to Mumbai and wanted to return home, Bagalkot. Because of the lockdown, he preponed his travel and drove down yesterday. He didn't face any issue except for few police checkposts. Police is looking for quarantine stamps on the passengers, asking for travel history, noting down car details and letting the car pass. He drove a KA registered personal car too.
ashis89 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 13:09   #1092
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
What is the stance regarding the malaria medicine? hydroxychloroquine
Don't take it except under supervision of a doctor. Don't take it as a prophylactic. It increases QT Intervals & can cause cardiac arrhythmia.
carboy is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 13:20   #1093
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Don't take it except under supervision of a doctor. Don't take it as a prophylactic. It increases QT Intervals & can cause cardiac arrhythmia.
Hi Doctor,

Is this drug being administered for critically ill COVID-19 patients, talking specifically about India ? If yes, is it some specific Hospitals or all ?

Or is the Indian medical fraternity waiting for FDA approval (not sure if it already has come ?)
Old 23rd March 2020, 13:23   #1094
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
I believe she was inspired by another book written in 1981. https://twitter.com/KingPMoney/statu...63624228093953

Browne did not have any psychic powers.
It is simply an extrapolation from the previous epidemics. The 1957 Asian flu lasted for about 2 years and had 2 waves. It was followed by a 1967-68 Hong Kong flu. This also lasted about 2 years. Both had a second wave which was more deadly. Both were influenza affecting lungs. After this there had been a while without any similar global epidemic. Hence a similar “prediction” stating a 2 year disease attacking the lungs, appearing again after 10 years and then simply disappearing.
Lobogris is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 13:23   #1095
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Had a doctor uncle in the family advising everyone to take a dose...i know it's a pretty strong medicine and had my doubts...

Spoke to a few doctor friends who said no need and also voiced similar opinions which you have mentioned as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks