Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2020, 19:36   #1516
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Coronavirus Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
This relatively old guy is up in 7 days?

How?

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/30/u...ntl/index.html
Well, there is a case of 103 year old recovering fully after being tested positive and necessary treatment, all in a week's time.

Chinese grandmother, 103, recovers from coronavirus after being treated for less than a week

Apart from the fact that being tested positive doesn't mean you are going to die, there are some cases where even the oldest have recovered although those who have succumbed mostly had a history with their health issues : Heart, Hypertension, Diabetes etc.

Last edited by paragsachania : 30th March 2020 at 19:37.
paragsachania is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th March 2020, 20:05   #1517

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Pretty sad state of hospital bed availability all over India. This is according to 2011 census. Hope things have improved in 9 years.

Attachment 1986059
This difference between states is concerning and sadly not surprising.
Dhiwakar92 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2020, 00:36   #1518
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Pretty sad state of hospital bed availability all over India. This is according to 2011 census. Hope things have improved in 9 years.
With an allocation of just 1% or so of GDP towards healthcare, thats about all we can do, .... hope !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz3645 View Post
Someone just won a big order for Ventilators. So much of negatively & micro comparison of India, & here Prof. Diwakar had a ventilator for masses starting around ₹50k. How can India just do it.
Intriguing! I just watched a livid doctor on ABP Ananda this evening claiming this to be no better than a fairy tale meant to draw attention by duping gullible public! I'm paraphrasing below what he had to say about this:

There are basically two types of ventilators:

1. The kind used in OTs for not more than a couple of hours. These are not very sophisticated, -- not much more than just bellows with pipe, and

2. The ones needed by critical care patients, -- these may be required for as long as a couple of weeks. COVID-19 care desperately needs this kind, and India has less than 30,000 of them (mostly in bigger cities). These are very sophisticated instruments with more than 200 sensors each, and there are only a handful of manufacturers worldwide. Each ventilator takes 3 to 4 months to make, and yearly output of each manufacturer is not more than a thousand or so!

The doctor was astonished that this Indian company was promising an output of 20,000 in a month, and believes it couldn't possibly be much more than the first kind, which is not what India desperately needs now, and the general public is just sold a fairy tale, with no accountability. It's the doctors who would have to face the music in a crisis, given that even with the right kind of ventilators, the mortality rate of critically ill COVID-19 patients could be as high as 50%.

Disclaimer: I'm not an expert in this field myself, and am only reporting what I watched the doctor say. More informed members of the forum would be able to judge better.

Last edited by aah78 : 31st March 2020 at 23:06. Reason: Spacing fixed.
meerkat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st March 2020, 00:42   #1519
BHPian

Just wanted to share this! Not sure if this is already known!

Old 31st March 2020, 01:22   #1520
Senior - BHPian

Duh! What about #AbbracciaUnCinese?

https://twitter.com/DarioNardella/st...689338369?s=20
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2020, 03:04   #1521
Senior - BHPian

BIG NEWS. LINK
Quote:
FDA gives anti-malaria drugs emergency approval to treat COVID-19

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has issued a limited emergency-use authorization for two anti-malarial drugs to treat those infected with the novel coronavirus...
GrammarNazi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2020, 03:23   #1522
Distinguished - BHPian

A little light relief. Suffering for science!

'Virus-fighting' scientist gets magnets stuck in nose
Quote:
An Australian astrophysicist who hoped to create a device to help stop people catching the coronavirus has ended up in hospital - after getting magnets stuck up his nose.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2020, 07:24   #1523
Senior - BHPian

The first kind is also given longer term to patients who need oxygen due to respiratory issues and is simply a bellows that feeds a controlled mix of oxygen to a mask.

The other one, used where a patient is unable to breathe for himself, inflates the lungs with oxygen through a tube inserted into your trachea - which is inside your throat so they surgically implant it. These cost 12-15 lakh each and are as you describe, incredibly complex.

What is more they can only be used by trained ICU staff with the patient needing 24x7 monitoring and readouts from the machine needing to be interpreted. Inflate the lungs too much or too fast and tissue / blood vessels inside are damaged more than usual, or your lungs may even blow up like an overinflated balloon. Inflate too less and the patient can’t breathe.

India has a shortage of trained ICU staff as well.

Not something the Mahindras or anyone else can churn out thousands of in a hurry.

What’s more I heard that a lot of these devices come from China into India as being cheaper than buying from the large European and American manufacturers (Siemens, Philips, GE etc). This part of the supply chain is cut off due to Corona shutdowns.

(Not a doctor, have doctor relatives I heard this from)

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat View Post
There are basically two types of ventilators:

1. The kind used in OTs for not more than a couple of hours. These are not very sophisticated, -- not much more than just bellows with pipe, and

2. The ones needed by critical care patients, -- these may be required for as long as a couple of weeks. COVID-19 care desperately needs this kind, and India has less than 30,000 of them (mostly in bigger cities). These are very sophisticated instruments with more than 200 sensors each, and there are only a handful of manufacturers worldwide. Each ventilator takes 3 to 4 months to make, and yearly output of each manufacturer is not more than a thousand or so!

Last edited by hserus : 31st March 2020 at 07:29.
hserus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st March 2020, 07:38   #1524
Distinguished - BHPian

As the Country progresses on testing numbers, the count in detection inches closer to the 1300 mark.

While Kerala records the maximum cases detected, is also the state that is miles ahead in the rate of testing.

Kerala, which started testing in February, most other states started conducting tests after March 20, when they started reporting their first cases. Both Kerala and Maharashtra have also been aggressive with contact tracing, where all people an infected person has been in touch with are traced — and tested.

Progression of testing rate:

The table compares the tests per million population in select States over a week. While Kerala’s testing rate grew from 113.8 to 188.7 per million people, others lagged behind.

Kerala’s rate of testing was the highest and Jharkhand’s the lowest.

Name:  12.PNG
Views: 1228
Size:  40.4 KB

Name:  15.PNG
Views: 1213
Size:  52.4 KB

Case progression:

The chart shows the day-wise progression of COVID-19 cases since the 10th case in each State. Of 37 States/U.T.s, 17 have registered at least 10 cases.

Name:  13.PNG
Views: 1196
Size:  55.7 KB

Death Count:

While Maharashtra recorded the highest number of deaths (8), Gujarat recorded the fastest rise (5 deaths in 8 days).

Name:  14.PNG
Views: 1185
Size:  36.5 KB

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 31st March 2020 at 07:55.
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st March 2020, 07:51   #1525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
As the Country progresses on testing numbers, the count in detection inches closer to the 1300 mark .

Kerala records the maximum cases but also is the state that is miles ahead in testing.

The table compares the tests per million population in select States over a week. While Kerala’s testing rate grew from 113.8 to 188.7 per million people, others lagged behind.
Updated numbers for some states is available on the below report in Hindustan Times.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/india...pY2hx2aFI.html

The report also mentions that the health departments of states having low numbers are convinced that the situation in respective states are not as critical as in Kerala and Maharashtra, thereby the low testing numbers.

Could be true for now. After the mass migration? I am not so sure anymore.
vibbs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2020, 07:56   #1526
Distinguished - BHPian

A recent study published by Lancet says that the mortality rate is lesser that earlier thought. The current rate is 0.66% as opposed to earlier thought rate of 3-4%.

Link
BoneCollector is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st March 2020, 08:29   #1527
BHPian

Enough has been said and written about the corona virus and the lock down that its now fast becoming boring and well plain irritating. You open the TV news : corona, whats app group : corona, TBHP : corona. I don't mind saying that i would want to get back to the gas and dirt filled reality called "the streets" and the daily routine called "the job". I do take the fact that this lockdown is for general safety quite seriously and have adhered to it so far. Being a Non IT , sales professional has not helped matters. Tell me, how can an industrial product sales man work from home?. All this rants apart, i just wanted to ask members the following simple questions :

Have you had enough of this lock down and just want to get back to the daily grind?

Are you with the general opinion that it is a chinese virus?. Meaning they need to be held accountable?.

What are the measures that we need to put in place in case there is another virus outbreak like this?. ( God , NO!!!!)

Do you think that the organisations like WHO are simply ineffective and greater autonomy in terms of national policy is needed?.
srini1785 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2020, 09:42   #1528
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
Have you had enough of this lock down and just want to get back to the daily grind?
- Speaking for myself, I am quite enjoying it in fact. I almost never used to WFH, and am now finding that I may just be even more productive at home. At the same time, I spend a lot more time now with my daughter than I was earlier able to.
- Moreover, I am loving the 40-50 AQI here is Ghaziabad and the blue skies.
- I am also needing to spend far lesser money than before, and gradually a lot of those expenses are looking very unnecessary.
- I absolutely would not like the world to revert exactly to how it was a couple of weeks back. I would rather that we all learned a few lessons here, and dial back the pace of our lifestyles and consumerism, cut back on travel, possessions etc. for good.

Quote:
Are you with the general opinion that it is a chinese virus?. Meaning they need to be held accountable?.
- Absolutely Not! It might have originated in China, they may have tried to keep it quiet or underplay it, to protect their own selfish interests that many of us are also yearning to go back to right now; so I can hardly fault them specifically. They are also victims of the same malaise as affecting us. They might look like benefiting right now, while the rest of the world takes a hit, but I find it fantastic to even imagine that this was a deliberate plot. There were just too many variables for anyone to have predicted an accurate course of events.

Quote:
What are the measures that we need to put in place in case there is another virus outbreak like this?. ( God , NO!!!!)
- The most potent weapon for any pandemic in these days, as evident now, is mass travel. If we could somehow reduce the quantum of collective travel we human beings undertake, it would act as a natural inhibitor to any such repeat. Epidemics would still happen, because that is how nature evolves, but it wouldn't be as likely to translate into a pandemic.
- The other long term thing that humans need to contemplate is the impact their modern lifestyle coupled with incredibly good healthcare (by past 5000 year standards), is having on our collective gene pool quality. Simply put, we are allowing far more of our vulnerable and potentially inferior gene sequences to persist, which would automatically have ceased to exist even as recently as a 100 years back. The evolution medical science through the ages was to ensure that population loss due to injuries or accidents, in otherwise very healthy individuals, could be mitigated. It's original purpose was never to allow unhealthy individuals to survive and procreate. Natural Selection doesn't just happen between different competing species, but it also happens within a species, and we have impeded the latter significantly in the last 100 years or so. Gene pool quality is essential for continuation of any species, and I hope humans start thinking a bit long term on this front.

Quote:
Do you think that the organisations like WHO are simply ineffective and greater autonomy in terms of national policy is needed?.
- They operate with constraints, imposed by the artificial divisions amongst us humans, so it would hardly be fair to judge them harshly for failing or being ineffective. The problem may have originated from a Virus, but the overall pandemic is intricately linked to economics, politics, lifestyle, business models, environment etc. WHO alone cannot address all of these in any case.

Last edited by roy_libran : 31st March 2020 at 09:48.
roy_libran is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 31st March 2020, 09:43   #1529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Translation Google
Coronavirus : we follow the indications of the health authorities and we use caution, but no psychological terrorism and above all enough with the usual jackals who could not wait to use this excuse to hate and insult. United in this common battle! #AbbracciaUnCinese
mvadg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2020, 10:21   #1530
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Duh! What about #AbbracciaUnCinese?

https://twitter.com/DarioNardella/st...689338369?s=20
That is a symbolic gesture to attract Chinese tourists & Chines businesses by the Mayor of Florence, before the outbreak in Italy . It is a positive message to prevent hate, like Hindi-Chini Bhai Bhai.
Quote:
You can call it the Chinese virus since it originated in China. It is still not clear how humans got infected. Chinese have been living the current way for 1000s of years. In fact, China is most affected by the coronavirus (they are hiding the actual deaths figures). If proof is found that the Chinese designed this virus and let it on to the world, then they can be prosecuted.
Quote:
WHO is an advisory body for world health. They do not have any political power. It is the Governments who have to act on the advice.
msdivy is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks