Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2020, 23:25   #1561
AZT
BHPian

re: The Coronavirus Thread

This is big news and not just for correcting misinformation. One reason Fb sucks is it allows fake news to stay on, especially when it’s shared by politician fan pages. You can’t report anything for being factually incorrect. This is the first time they are doing this. The Coronavirus Thread-5d9b89cb203c4725bb6434363d6dcb13.jpeg

The Coronavirus Thread-f050710103084dddb89585e87a294256.jpeg

Last edited by AZT : 31st March 2020 at 23:30.
AZT is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st March 2020, 23:45   #1562
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
This is big news and not just for correcting misinformation. One reason Fb sucks is it allows fake news to stay on, especially when it’s shared by politician fan pages. You can’t report anything for being factually incorrect. This is the first time they are doing this.
Not the first time for him. Other platforms have reacted the same way for his pseudo-macho posts and messages.
warrioraks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2020, 23:57   #1563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Now we know what are super-spreaders. A large number emerged from Nizamuddin. The Moulvi says, they have the congregation three or four times a year. Probably Covid will bypass the faithful. The Govt has effectively quarantined a five km radius, and using drones to monitor the area. I hope the congregation does not act as a super-spreader. Remember they are all preachers.

As for Ms Kanika Kapoor, she has tested positive again, so her parents are thinking of sending her out. May I know where to UK, USA or Europe?!

This is really bad news for everyone. I don't think we are done with this by April 14th!
sudeepg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st April 2020, 02:52   #1564
BHPian

I am speechless. What more do these Chinese intend to heap on the mankind !!
Attached Thumbnails
The Coronavirus Thread-screenshot_20200401024904.jpg  

vivek95 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 1st April 2020, 03:07   #1565
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
Was bound to happen. They temporarily close and always reopen. Happened with SARS & H1N1. This and the "traditional" medicine industry will end up as the reason for extinction of many exotic and severely vulnerable animals.
digitalnirvana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2020, 05:00   #1566
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is it not expected?

These wet markets are a part of chinese culture. They have been thriving for hundreds of years if not more. It will take much more than political will to discontinue something as deeply rooted in their culture as this just like it would be in any other part of the world. But I did not expect them to start so quickly. Does this mean the Chinese have evidence to believe it did not start from the wet market? A leak perhaps? I know its bordering on conspiracy theories a bit. But what if?

Meanwhile the Mosque event is turning out to be one big disaster in India. I also came across unverified reports of the quarantined people spitting out of the bus they were being taken in!

Last edited by vibbs : 1st April 2020 at 05:23.
vibbs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st April 2020, 08:00   #1567
BHPian

Can't imagine how much fake news will be spread today under the pretext of April Fools. I hope people will be responsible today.
evoker is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st April 2020, 10:14   #1568
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: Please do NOT post any rumours or WhatsApp forwards on this thread. Kindly post ONLY verified / accurate information. Thanks for the support & understanding
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 1st April 2020, 10:30   #1569
BHPian

The same sect also involved in increasing the numbers for Malaysia.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/...021302367.html
Old 1st April 2020, 10:43   #1570
BHPian

To all those blaming China for the Coronavirus, what about Ebola, Influenza, HIV, Marburg, Dengue, Rabies Virus? More people have died from these than SARS & Coronavirus. There have been many Pandemics in history unrelated to China.
Are these related to the eating habits of the Chinese?

Even in India, we had Cholera Pandemic, Plagues in Bombay & Surat, etc. Were these related to our eating habits? Instead of blaming China their delayed response to the outbreak, we should ask what we did to prevent it.

In February, a month after the outbreak was widely reported we were busy fighting over things like CAA/NRC, and celebrating the visit of Trump when we should have acted fast and started testing /quarantining people.

Last edited by vb-saan : 1st April 2020 at 14:53. Reason: 'useless' reference removed
CarNerd is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st April 2020, 10:45   #1571
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The pertinent question is, how much do the rest of the world want to deal with the Chinese in future ? The only way to deal with them is to reduce the dependence on China to the extent possible. I foresee an economic war erupting as an 'easy' option for the Western politicians to curry favour with their troubled constituents.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 1st April 2020 at 10:46.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2020, 11:13   #1572
Senior - BHPian

How micro droplets hang in the air and spread

The Japanese have captured the movement of microdroplets and all that glittering particles are microdroplets. There is a lot of it! Captured using a special highspeed camera rig.

Wearing a mask can prevent the spread of micro droplets, a comparison between having mask and no mask. With the mask on microdroplets do not escape into the atmosphere.

Or if you would like to watch the complete documentary which is about an hour long here is it.

Or at the original source: https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/o...video/5001289/

Last edited by Sankar : 1st April 2020 at 11:14.
Sankar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st April 2020, 13:43   #1573
Senior - BHPian

Whats happening in US is really serious. What this has shown world over is that you can't be reactive and you can't even catch up.

Last edited by vb-saan : 1st April 2020 at 16:28. Reason: Quoted post deleted, hence removing the related response. Thank you!
Old 1st April 2020, 13:55   #1574
BHPian

Some very balanced views expressed in this article.

Pandemics and the Problem of Expert Failure -

Quote:
the speed, scale, and scope of this pandemic mean that we don’t know which areas of expertise matter or how to balance competing considerations coming from those that do.

The world’s governments today are turning to the experts. But to which experts? Which silos of expertise matter?

Epidemiologists warn us to maintain social distancing. They want to put much of the economy on hold. But economists warn us of unemployment and cascading bankruptcies. Psychologists warn us that unemployment and isolation promote substance abuse and suicide. And so on. Who can adjudicate their competing frameworks?

If the politicians listen only to the epidemiologists, then one set of relevancies matters, and the rest will be ignored.

How are they to balance the competing considerations coming from the experts’ separate silos? And how many such silos are they to balance? Shall they consider only epidemiologists and economists? What about psychologists? Sociologists? Ecologists? Anthropologists? Engineers?

there is no agreed-upon, rational, and proven technique for striking some sort of equilibrium among them. We’re flying blind. “The pandemic will pass,”
Miyata is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st April 2020, 14:06   #1575
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
Some very balanced views expressed in this article.

Pandemics and the Problem of Expert Failure -
Thanks for sharing. One of the most balanced article I read on this thread. The pandemic has a mind of its own. All experts are shooting in the dark with their own biases and little knowledge of the situation.

Last edited by vb-saan : 1st April 2020 at 16:40. Reason: Quoted post deleted, hence removing the related response. Thank you!
poloman is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks