Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2020, 16:32   #151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
No it is 6% as of today. Please check this watch page.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
Thanks, I stand corrected. This was 2% a week ago.

That said, 700mil ppl dying off is still implausible and "not gonna happen" bracket.

The only way I see that happening is if the Ebola Reston strain mutates to become lethal to humans like Ebola Zaire (mortality 60-90%). As of now, Reston is harmless to human beings (and is found in human blood stream and believed to spread through air) presumably and no one knows why

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
1. Does Coronavirus spread through air droplets (coughing/sneezing by infected person) ?
With the available information as of today, yes.
It also spreads through used handkerchiefs, towels, etc. Exchange of bodily fluids possibly.

From WHO:
Quote:
People can catch COVID-19 from others who have the virus. The disease can spread from person to person through small droplets from the nose or mouth which are spread when a person with COVID-19 coughs or exhales. These droplets land on objects and surfaces around the person. Other people then catch COVID-19 by touching these objects or surfaces, then touching their eyes, nose or mouth. People can also catch COVID-19 if they breathe in droplets from a person with COVID-19 who coughs out or exhales droplets. This is why it is important to stay more than 1 meter (3 feet) away from a person who is sick.
WHO is assessing ongoing research on the ways COVID-19 is spread and will continue to share updated findings.
Quote:
2. Does having animal meat (Chicken/Fish/Mutton etc.) contribute to spread of Corona virus ?
No. Though it is always a good practice to consume meat from reliable sources.

Last edited by Eddy : 2nd March 2020 at 18:22. Reason: Merged
Old 2nd March 2020, 17:24   #152
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
Mortality rate for Covid-19 is ~2%.
It can affect 10% of the population, not eliminate it.
It affects the weakest % across all population - think the aged, the very young babies and those with lesser immunity. That cuts across every family, so the risks are high for everyone - you and me (family) included.

Quote:
1. Does Coronavirus spread through air droplets (coughing/sneezing by infected person) ?

2. Does having animal meat (Chicken/Fish/Mutton etc.) contribute to spread of Corona virus ?
Yes.

Not clear. With the information at hand, no. However the origins of this virus came from an illegal meat market so nothing can be 100% ruled out.

And so it begins. Upto the government(s) to see how they manage the days ahead.

Two new cases detected in India; one in Delhi, one in Telangana.

@Mods, please merge the posts if needed.

Last edited by Samurai : 2nd March 2020 at 17:26.
Old 2nd March 2020, 19:21   #153
BANNED

re: The Coronavirus Thread

3 new cases in India. 1 each in Delhi, Telangana and Rajastan. Delhi case is an Italy return person, Telangana case is a Dubai return and the Rajastan case is an Italian tourist. As per news reports. This is worrying since these people have traveled separately and from different regions, there could be more number of cases.
Old 2nd March 2020, 19:59   #154
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
-- Telangana case is a Dubai return --.
Coronavirus positive Bengaluru techie travelled to Hyderabad on bus.

Link
Old 2nd March 2020, 21:11   #155
Oxy
BHPian

I am getting worried about this now. What is one supposed to do if he catches the virus? There is no known cure after all.
Old 2nd March 2020, 22:46   #156
Team-BHP Support

I suspect Coronavirus is already widespread in Italy (and other countries), but the scale has not been detected yet.

- Italy has a population of 60 million. Out of that, how many Italians actually visit India? The number is likely to be rather small.
- Apparently, an Italian national in India was diagnosed with Coronavirus

Now add these two together - what is the probability of an Italian tourist in India having Coronavirus? Just a random coincidence?

And in Iran, Vice President and Health Minister have contracted the virus. Khomenei's advisor is dead. Isn't this unusual?

Last edited by SmartCat : 2nd March 2020 at 23:24.
Old 2nd March 2020, 23:28   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
I suspect Coronavirus is already widespread in Italy (and other countries), but the scale has not been detected yet.
You may be easily correct. All European countries are reporting Coronavirus cases from people coming in from Italy. Even Russia,US, Scotland, Mexico, Israel, India and others have reported Infections from people coming in from Italy.
Old 3rd March 2020, 05:20   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
I am getting worried about this now. What is one supposed to do if he catches the virus? There is no known cure after all.

That funny Vietnamese video with subtitles says it all. Frequently wash hands, don’t touch your face, keep away from coughing people.

If you get any sort of flu or corona stay hydrated, keep taking paracetamol for the fever, use a dehumidifier, treat with inhalers / nebuliser for severe cough (with a doctors prescription). All the usual.
Old 3rd March 2020, 05:35   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Approximately 1700 infected with 34 dead in Italy, see 16:27 onwards in this video. As mentioned earlier this channel's author is doing a great job in sharing information in a calm manner without hysteria.

Old 3rd March 2020, 09:05   #160
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
+1 to this.

I see several cases of folks catching the virus post travel to Dubai; the Bangalore based techie is one; another recent traveler in Australia who spent 14 days in Dubai has been diagonised with the virus as of yesterday.

Folks traveling to/via Dubai; please do take extra care. Applies equally to other transit points too (Qatar, Abu Dhabi, etc).
Old 3rd March 2020, 09:34   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Applies equally to other transit points too (Qatar, Abu Dhabi, etc).
This is precisely what I am worried about. My wife and daughter are scheduled to fly to the US via Abu Dhabi in late April. Not sure whether to cancel their vacation plans, or go ahead with them. Planning to see if the situation improves or deteriorates till end of March and then take a decision.
Old 3rd March 2020, 10:19   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
This is precisely what I am worried about. My wife and daughter are scheduled to fly to the US via Abu Dhabi in late April. Not sure whether to cancel their vacation plans, or go ahead with them. Planning to see if the situation improves or deteriorates till end of March and then take a decision.
I was in a similar dilemma at end of January. I had planned a trip to Dubai for a week along with my parents. But as soon as there was news that UAE had its first case I got my booking cancelled. Travelling with my parents & knowing that senior citizens are easily affected by this that was the best I thought.Yes there was money lost but looking at it now I feel I took the best decision. Probably today we would have been in Dubai when the situation is not good.

Take your call one month prior to your trip. It’s a risk, the situation might be good or bad, but it’s something that you need to stand with.
Old 3rd March 2020, 10:28   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
We had to cancel our travel plans to Dubai. Parents were booked on a trip for march 1st week. Having observed the increase in number of cases, we promptly cancelled the vacation.
No use of postponing as well because we don't know how things would turn out and when would be a safer date.

Even if the destination is a safer place, it always makes sense to avoid airports unless its something unavoidable.

Last edited by abhi7013 : 3rd March 2020 at 10:29.
Old 3rd March 2020, 10:44   #164
Senior - BHPian

Is it that no percentage of people are able to develop immunity against this strain of virus?
Can't this immunity be harnessed to develop some sort of vaccine?
Old 3rd March 2020, 10:50   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Is it that no percentage of people are able to develop immunity against this strain of virus?
Can't this immunity be harnessed to develop some sort of vaccine?
Reminds me of "The Last Ship" series on Amazon prime. At the time of watching, I never thought I would be able to relate to it but today as things are, it was & is very close to reality. Hats off to the writers.

Most Viewed