Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2020, 10:54   #166
Senior - BHPian

re: The Coronavirus Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdrive View Post
Take your call one month prior to your trip. It’s a risk, the situation might be good or bad, but it’s something that you need to stand with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
We had to cancel our travel plans to Dubai.
Thanks for your replies. I agree with what both of you are saying, and I also favour the cancellation option, if things don't improve by March 3rd week (which is looking improbable as of now). Only difficult part will be handling my 6 year old daughter's disappointment on missing her Disney trip. Oh well....

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 3rd March 2020 at 10:57.
Old 3rd March 2020, 11:04   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Is it that no percentage of people are able to develop immunity against this strain of virus?
Can't this immunity be harnessed to develop some sort of vaccine?
We don't develop immunity against all strains. Immunization is basically infecting the body with weakened microbes to enable the human body to develop a defense mechanism against the said microbe. There is no vaccination for common cold. We just let the virus go through its life cycle.

That said, people are recovering from this. If and when a vaccine can be developed will be known later.

As of now, prevention is the best cure.
PS: Covid-19 is a new strain of existing Coronaviruses (which also cause common cold)
Old 3rd March 2020, 11:08   #168
J4J
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Thanks for your replies. I agree with what both of you are saying, and I also favour the cancellation option, if things don't improve by March 3rd week (which is looking improbable as of now). Only difficult part will be handling my 6 year old daughter's disappointment on missing her Disney trip.
I'll suggest you to cancel your trip.
If you go forward with the trip you'll have to face the following:
1. Long queues at airport for health checkup. This is very unpleasant and also scary.
2. In airplanes everyone will be masked up. Again a scary sight and also its very uncomfortable wearing those for long period of time.
3. When we hear news of new cases, the next wave comes only in the next 14 days. So if 1 week looks good, next week may be far worse. Nothing can be predicted.
4. In hotels they'll check your temperature every morning. Even if you are sick due to some other reason, you are a probable suspect.

Apart from all the measures like masks and hand-washing techniques, I'll suggest one more important thing: Eat very healthy food. In the end what matters is your body's ability to fight this virus off.

Last edited by J4J : 3rd March 2020 at 11:23.
Old 3rd March 2020, 11:24   #169
BHPian

I am scheduled to travel to Spain with family for a vacation in the first week of May. Flights, acco is done but not Visa.

We are taking a wait n watch approach and will take a call end of March. As of now, trip seems cancelled.

There is massive amount of uncertainty in Europe and restrictions are changing almost daily. Not a situation to go for a vacation.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 3rd March 2020 at 14:54. Reason: typo
Old 3rd March 2020, 12:13   #170
BHPian

Massive travel restrictions has been imposed in our org. Only business critical travel and that to approval in writing from VP and above will be entertained. Alternatively they are planning to exercise WFH in many offices around the globe. More details are awaited.
Old 3rd March 2020, 12:23   #171
Distinguished - BHPian

Sri Ram Millennium School in Noida shut as the person from Delhi who has tested positive for Coronavirus had thrown a birthday party for his kids. Authorities are trying to ascertain who all have come in contact with them.

Noida School
Old 3rd March 2020, 13:56   #172
BHPian

The corona virus threat comes to Bangalore. The Telangana techie, who was tested positive for Corona, works in bangalore. He caught virus in Dubai and travelled to Bangalore and after two days travelled by bus to Hyderabad.
Seeing its rapid spread in South Korea and Iran etc, it spreads fast and I am not surprised that if is lurking nearby and dangerously.

https://www.deccanherald.com/nationa...19-809863.html
Old 3rd March 2020, 14:00   #173
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Is it that no percentage of people are able to develop immunity against this strain of virus?
Can't this immunity be harnessed to develop some sort of vaccine?
How would anybody know?

It is tough enough to discover those who have or are developing the disease. Researching immunity would be a bottomless pit
Old 3rd March 2020, 14:32   #174
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Thanks for your replies. I agree with what both of you are saying, and I also favour the cancellation option, if things don't improve by March 3rd week (which is looking improbable as of now)
Highly improbable I'd say, especially since your destination is the US. The CDC officials already have declared in public that they expect the infected numbers to go up significantly going ahead (inspite of the bumbling idiot at the top talking nonsense). Washington state is already a hotbed with infection cases on the rise.

Knowing the amount of internal moment across the states, there would be a definite increase in the infected # across the country; which will ensure the state governments to kick-in aggressive checking across all entry and exit points; and (hopefully) higher governance at public places that see a lot of gathering.

Wait and watch. My guess is you'll have a clearer picture of the infection % by March end, but the thing you'll have to decide is against the 'unknown'/risk factor of traveling during a global epidemic, which probably could be elevated to a 'pandemic' level by your travel time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Sri Ram Millennium School in Noida shut as the person from Delhi who has tested positive for Coronavirus had thrown a birthday party for his kids. Authorities are trying to ascertain who all have come in contact with them.
This is a good thing! Hopefully there isn't damage done on these kids.

Similarly the techie from Bangalore who traveled to Hyd via a bus; officials are already trying to reach the other passengers of the bus to validate others weren't affected.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 3rd March 2020 at 14:36.
Old 3rd March 2020, 14:40   #175
BHPian

Guys, I'm in a state of panic! I went to the US on 22nd Feb and returned yesterday. To and fro, both via Dubai. Now I am really worried about whether I have contacted the virus. Specially worried as I have a small kid of 4 years at home. Is there any medical test me and family should undergo to find out whether there is any infection? Help please
Old 3rd March 2020, 14:47   #176
Senior - BHPian

All our travel plans are cancelled. My Father-in-law's trip to UK and US are postponed indefinitely. This is a new virus for which we have little to fight against, best is to take enough precautions to ensure one's health.
My parents are in the vulnerable age bracket, I have told them to avoid any public gathering and avoid travel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Guys, I'm in a state of panic! I went to the US on 22nd Feb and returned yesterday. To and fro, both via Dubai. Now I am really worried about whether I have contacted the virus. Specially worried as I have a small kid of 4 years at home. Is there any medical test me and family should undergo to find out whether there is any infection? Help please
Restrict your movement and also better to approach a hospital for a full checkup as the virus can be in asymptomatic state for up to 20 days. Virus can be spread during this phase as well. Better safe than sorry.
Old 3rd March 2020, 14:53   #177
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
I am getting worried about this now. What is one supposed to do if he catches the virus? There is no known cure after all.
There are lots of diseases with no known cure, including the common cold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Guys, I'm in a state of panic! I went to the US on 22nd Feb and returned yesterday.
Do you have any reason to worry, apart from geography?
Old 3rd March 2020, 14:55   #178
Senior - BHPian

We are in Germany (east side) and things are pretty normal here.

We did couple of mistakes: Attended a concert on 22-Feb and a local gathering last weekend. We bought 1 month grocery, toiletries as a precautionary measure and decided not to take more risk. Stopped using public transport and stay indoor most of the time.

Last edited by Latheesh : 3rd March 2020 at 14:58.
Old 3rd March 2020, 15:07   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
There are lots of diseases with no known cure, including the common cold!

Do you have any reason to worry, apart from geography?
Apart from transiting via Dubai airport (I was wearing a mask most of the time while returning), I do not have any symptoms like fever, respiratory troubles etc. I have an allergic cough for quite some time but that started way before this corona-scare.
Old 3rd March 2020, 15:11   #180
Distinguished - BHPian

Are there enough hospitals that can carry out tests for covid-19? From what I understand, there are only a few. So I think even the government will advise testing only for those showing symptoms of the virus, which could also easily be normal flu-like symptoms.

So I'd say no need to panic just because one has transited from any of the affected areas, till some symptoms begin to develop and persist.

Of course this is just an opinion. Asking a medical professional would be best.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks