re: The Coronavirus Thread

Paytm employee tests positive for corona virus in Gurugram

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...g/74467466.cms
Old 4th March 2020, 21:05   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSuri View Post
Hello, I've been receiving the whatsapp forwards as others. However, I posted only after confirming all the mentioned points with a doctor friend. Nothing in this world is a 100% cure for any disease, it's only precautions what we can take and try to be safe.

You may research the internet and would find a video of Swami Ramdev mentioning one or two of the points I mentioned.

BTW, it's boiled water,not boiling. But one should have it once it's hot only (around 24-25 degree celcius).
"Nothing in this world is a 100% cure for any disease" - Not to split hairs but as far as I am concerned something won't be called a cure unless it has been demonstrated to work with consistently repeatable results across a large data set (in this case patients) in curing them.

Also, if you don't mind can we have the credentials of the doctor (his name is not required but rather his speciality, education background etc). As a medical practitioner he should be fine in standing by any recommendations from his end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
One may choose to believe quacks and frauds at their own peril. In this era of science and technology, you should put your faith in established modern medical systems and not swamis.
This won't work sir. I agree with you 100% but if you question people beliefs then they generally tend to defend them even more aggressively. At that point they don't care if the source of the information is from some unqualified idiot they just don't want to feel/believe that they have been made one.

@mods, we have verified doctors on our forum. Perhaps it's time to ask one of them to give their advice and pin the post to the top of this thread.

Whatsapp forwards will continue till that damn platform is available but we can ensure that Team Bhp gives out scientifically valid information.
Old 4th March 2020, 21:24   #228
BHPian

Health Department of Kerala has issued specific guidelines on the procedure to be followed in the case of persons who have traveled to Corona virus infected places.

Contact Health Department Helpline (DISHA) number : 0471 2552056/1056
(Toll Free) and they will guide you with the rest of the procedure as follows :

1. There is specific direction not to use public transport
2. They will guide you regarding the place you should report and the like.

I am posting the link to the guidelines, which will help in building awareness

http://dhs.kerala.gov.in/pdf2020/ncorona_26012020.pdf

The guidelines for persons who have traveled to infected regions can be found in page no. 20 of the document.

Last edited by adrian : 4th March 2020 at 21:28.
Old 4th March 2020, 21:29   #229
Team-BHP Support

The Coronavirus Thread-img_20200304_174106__01.jpg

Signs outside all the pharmacies in Gachibowli, Hyderabad.

I had to get some regular stuff and stopped by. It's so sad because of this crazy panic those who actually need these things are going to suffer.
Old 4th March 2020, 21:32   #230
Senior - BHPian

Not a doctor but related to more than one doctor.

Nothing very wrong in drinking boiled water, it keeps you safe from a wide variety of other nasty bugs (stomach / intestinal ones) that may weaken you and lower your resistance to covid-19

The ministry of health guidelines and official channels won't test you unless you are exposed to someone who travelled abroad and returned to be identified as a covid-19 carrier. If you feel you have symptoms of a flu, self quarantine yourself and seek medical advice OVER THE PHONE.

If your doctor refers you to the relevant govt hospital, well and good. That will be if you have eg breathing difficulties severe enough to require nebulisation or even oxygen, a fever that spikes beyond 102 F etc.

Else stay at home, take what the doc prescribes + hot rasam or soup (in fact plenty of fluids!) to alleviate your symptoms and make you feel better. Avoid alcohol even if many traditional remedies call for brandy and hot water or similar.

Stay away from coughing people, don't touch your face, wash hands regularly and thoroughly. Not much else you can do, viral fevers will often run their course if you're generally healthy and have no comorbid factors (eg if you are a smoker or have asthma, or if you're weakened by some other disease, or are old, a heart patient or diabetic etc).
Old 4th March 2020, 21:34   #231
PVS
BHPian

Well, this morning in one of the companies in Raheja Mindspace Building 20, an employee who had returned from Italy tested COVID-19 positive. Immediately all the employees of that company were asked to evacuate and login from home. My employer also has an office in the same building and by 4:00 pm, we got a mail that all the employees working in Building 20 are advised to evacuate and go home. I work in an adjacent building, and the sight of employees vacating building 20 in the morning caused a sense of panic amongst my team and other on the floor.. I had to calm them down, asking them not to panic. A sense of anxiety and fear seems to be slowly spreading...

Last edited by PVS : 4th March 2020 at 21:35. Reason: corrected COVD to COVID
Old 4th March 2020, 21:58   #232
BHPian

While we are yet again bashing our culture and traditions and trying hard to prove them archaic and backward, I would like to put forth in defence that elbow bumps and footshakes are the new coronavirus etiquettes the world is learning while we have Namaste an ancient yet significantly safer, nicer and much humble way to greet one another. I firmly believe that ancient Indian Civilization was far more advanced than where the world stands today, at damn elbow bumps and footshakes.
I am sure their would be possible cure for coronavirus in Ayurveda as well, and no I am not talking about 'Cow Urine' which every hater tries to associate Ayurveda with in an attempt to defame us and our heritage. Like Namaste is already a significant enough cure for coronavirus if you believe in the phrase 'prevention is cure'. And Russians are promoting the idea of doing daily exercise, so people can become fit and fight against the disease, Yoga would be much much more helpful.
Just my humble opinion

Last edited by wrongturn : 4th March 2020 at 22:01.
Old 4th March 2020, 22:21   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongturn View Post
I am sure their would be possible cure for coronavirus in Ayurveda as well, and no I am not talking about 'Cow Urine' which every hater tries to associate Ayurveda with in an attempt to defame us and our heritage.
Improvement in general health is good for someone suffering from any disease at all. But for any ayurvedic medicine to be called a cure for coronavirus, the cure must be scientifically validated in repeatable drug trials.

Repeatable as in suppose you're trailing a new manual transmission, if you engage first gear and press down on the accelerator even a hundred times, your car invariably moves forward, if it were to go backwards on first gear, that would be a fail.

The problem with ayurvedic / homeo etc medicines is that they are being pushed with zero scientific validation and simply tall claims. And they are being pushed as CURES where at most they'd relieve some symptom of the disease. For example a "kashayam" may cause your fever to reduce but that is much the same as taking an antipyretic like paracetomol, it is in no way a covid cure.
Old 4th March 2020, 22:39   #234
BHPian

Quote:
While we are yet again bashing our culture and traditions and trying hard to prove them archaic and backward
What you see as bashing and putting down is just a group of people asking you to put up scientific evidence to support your claims. You can look at it as you want. After all nobody here is stupid enough to accept any treatment plan/medicine given by a doctor on a damn hunch.

Oh and you do realize that the very same people (who are obviously destroying your vaunted culture) will be the first to accept a traditional cure once it's proved to be scientifically valid.

Quote:
..I would like to put forth in defence that elbow bumps and footshakes are the new coronavirus etiquettes the world is learning while we have Namaste an ancient yet significantly safer, nicer and much humble way to greet one another. I firmly believe that ancient Indian Civilization was far more advanced than where the world stands today, at damn elbow bumps and footshakes.
What you see as a sign of an advanced civilization, I see as a simple coincidence. Of course, as an Indian, I much rather do a Namaste rather than what ever the controsionist moment you mentioned.

Oh and you might want to see how Japanese greet others in society. There are other civilizations in this world my friend who don't hug it out every damn chance they get.

Quote:
I am sure their would be possible cure for coronavirus in Ayurveda as well, and no I am not talking about 'Cow Urine' which every hater tries to associate Ayurveda with in an attempt to defame us and our heritage.
Please provide the cure and state the scientific sources (cow urine or otherwise).

Also, you might want to take a look at the meaning of the word 'cure' (there are senior members who have stated it plainly enough).

Last edited by JithinR : 4th March 2020 at 22:41.
Old 4th March 2020, 22:55   #235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
The problem with ayurvedic / homeo etc medicines is that they are being pushed with zero scientific validation and simply tall claims. And they are being pushed as CURES where at most they'd relieve some symptom of the disease. For example a "kashayam" may cause your fever to reduce but that is much the same as taking an antipyretic like paracetomol, it is in no way a covid cure.
There would be no significant outcome of this argument and it won't contribute much to the coronavirus problem, so I won't indulge in it but since you mentioned the similarities between an ayurvedic medicine and an allopathic drug, I would consider that as a positive towards the point I was trying to put forward. I am not trying to prove one line of medicine better than the other, and I am truly grateful to the modern medicinal advancements as it saves millions of lives each year which probably neither today's ayurveda, homeopathy or any other stream could do.
The advancement of ayurveda stopped centuries ago, no new research is being done, what we now have the are the reminiscent of a great science and what have left of it in scattered texts. No one practices it the way it should be done. Ayurveda has scientific logics behind every cure, and there are British accounts that suggest that even surgery was done during ancient times. The world's history as we know it now and specially what has been taught to us Indians has been altered as per the wishes of few elites. So let's just continue to believe in what we think is right, for now.
As for coronavirus, greet everyone with Namaste or an elbow bump or a foot shake whatever may seem appropriate and modern, wash hands regularly and positively don't touch you face no matter what.

Btw, modern medicine still doesn't have any anti-virul medicine and doctors worldwide still prescribe anti biotics and anti bacterial medicine as the cure for the common cold or flu. It's a bigger sham than any ayurvedic treatment you will ever see
Old 4th March 2020, 23:01   #236
BHPian

Guys, this thread is inadvertently turning into a cultural war! The real issue seem to get distorted. Can we please focus on the Virus and related information. We can debate about ancient vs modern at a later date
Old 4th March 2020, 23:04   #237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Btw, modern medicine still doesn't have any anti-virul medicine and doctors worldwide still prescribe anti biotics and anti bacterial medicine as the cure for the common cold or flu. It's a bigger sham than any ayurvedic treatment you will ever see
Eh what? There is no shortage of retrovirals.

Indeed, Various physicians have been trying AIDS / SARS specific retrovirals against COVID-19. For example - https://www.theguardian.com/world/li...ll-latest-news

But these are specific and targeted to individual strains of viruses. Not like a broad spectrum antibiotic that acts against a whole lot of bacteria.

Please - for the sake of your own health - avoid following traditional medicine cures and follow competent medical advice. Which, for covid, specifically excludes homeopathy, unani, ayurveda etc as none of these are defined treatment protocols for covid.

Yes I know the Ayush ministry is tweeting about distributing homeopathic arsenicum album pills to "cure covid" but they aren't the health ministry and don't decide these protocols.
Old 4th March 2020, 23:08   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Erm, yes it has and no they don't.

Antibiotics prescriptions are given with much more thought in the West and are very rarely, if ever, prescribed for common cold.

This page needs a cleanup so I'm going to report my post for the mods to take a look.
Old 4th March 2020, 23:32   #239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
What you see as bashing and putting down is just a group of people asking you to put up scientific evidence to support your claims. You can look at it as you want. After all nobody here is stupid enough to accept any treatment plan/medicine given by a doctor on a damn hunch.

Please provide the cure and state the scientific sources (cow urine or otherwise).
See, that's what I am talking about, I'm going to take all the bashing now cause I tried to defend what I believe, with facts and valid points and by not offending anyone or any beliefs in any way.

I expressly mentioned the phrase 'Prevention is Cure' in my argument, I am not sure how else would you like me to elaborate the term 'Cure' in the given context.

'What ever the controsionist moment' I mentioned are the new ways even the world leaders are using to greet one another instead of handshakes, please update yourself on elbow bumps and footshakes in relation to coronavirus. I believe Namaste is a much better gesture of greeting than those 'whatever you said they were'.

Japanese have their own traditional way to greet, and similarly they have their own traditional medicine. Similarly India has ayurveda which still is far more advanced and logical in comparison to the traditional medicinal ways of various societies and cultures around the world.
I'm associated with Tibetan people in India, and if you have heard they have cured some cancer patients and have elongated the life span of some. Look for Men-Tsee-Khang, they were confident that their medicine can provide relief if not cure to the patients of coronavirus. I am not associated any how to any expert in the field of ayurveda so I would not comment on that, but as I said earlier, I believe there is a cure for this virus in ayurveda too.

After all this is the same family of virus, COVID that causes common cold or flu but it's a different strain COVID-19 and it's mutating rapidly, scientist have recently found a second strain of COVID-19

Since modern medicine never had any cure for the COVID virus that causes common cold or flu to begin with, there won't be no cure for COVID-19 or Coronavirus as well. If there was a cure for common cold or flu in any traditional medicine, anywhere in the world, that would cure COVID-19 or coronavirus too probably.

But, that's not where is stops, coronavirus is deadly also because of the rate at which it spreads, even the cured can get reinfected again in no time. Only a vaccine would be able to put a stop on it.

I am in no way against the modern medicines, please stop trying to project me like one. I wrote the very first response in defence of Ayurveda and Yoga. Why the hate?

Last edited by wrongturn : 4th March 2020 at 23:59.
Old 4th March 2020, 23:39   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Eh what? There is no shortage of retrovirals.

Indeed, Various physicians have been trying AIDS / SARS specific retrovirals against COVID-19. For example - https://www.theguardian.com/world/li...ll-latest-news

But these are specific and targeted to individual strains of viruses. Not like a broad spectrum antibiotic that acts against a whole lot of bacteria.
You have already taken my argument way out of context and exactly where I said people usually take it to.

Please enlighten me, what is the medicinal cure for common cold or flu, what kills that COVID.
Retrovirals? Seriously?
Every time I'm down with flu I let it run it's course and it goes away naturally as I used to believe that there was no cure. Save me from the suffering.

Last edited by wrongturn : 4th March 2020 at 23:51.

Most Viewed