Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2020, 22:00   #2446
Senior - BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
Coronavirus vaccine from Moderna shows early signs of viral immune response
Hello sir, I see your enthusiasm for sharing treatment for covid-19 based on research. Keep it going. But I would say if research practicality is any indicator then every home would be generating & storing megawatt of electricity, we would using flying cars powered by nuclear fission.

BTW, Moderna share went from $60 to $80 within days based on this news. it was $30 a month ago. That is some purpose isn't it .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
If all the passengers in the car are family, why should they all wear masks? I am not able to understand that.
In India, since individuals are not expected to behave responsibly, police are required to maintain discipline and the police person wouldn't know whether everyone in the car is family or not
msdivy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2020, 22:25   #2447
BHPian

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
By the time we have acquired herd immunity we might have more lung and kidney patients to deal with.
Would this be the case for many who might have contracted the virus and got better even without any medical help, like with majority of asymptomatic cases?
JMaruru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2020, 23:27   #2448
BHPian

Not sure if this has been mentioned here.

Toi article about Mumbai police given HCQS drug to prevent Covid. Out of total 10000 targeted zero mortality among the 4,500 policemen who took HCQS in Mumbai. Although some in this group did contracted Covid, but they only had a mild attack.

https://m.timesofindia.com/city/mumb...w/75845670.cms
Old 21st May 2020, 00:43   #2449
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz3645 View Post
Toi article about Mumbai police given HCQS drug to prevent Covid. ...
Are they using Mr T as a medical consultant these days? India and Donald seem to be the only people now who have faith in HCQS. And I use the word faith specifically. I think it has not performed well in clinical trials?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 02:34   #2450
BHPian

Unexpected or never anticipated conversation or situation during the COVID situation

This is meant as a lighten the mood thread.

So the background to this thread is a poser that is making the rounds in my work WhatsApp group. To quote...

"While there might be many, what is that one thing you never imagined doing during this current situation. It's not limited to a specific activity but conversations, behavior, conflict topics with your SO, dealing with challenges etc. Oh yes, there has to be element of humor in it as well. "

Here are a couple between colleagues or as a discussion item
1. Rajasthani Dal - 3 seeti and early pressure release vs 2 seeti and 5 mins on low
2. Active dry yeast v/s instant dry yeast.

My personal contribution, talking to an ex colleague after a while and debating whether condensed milk is essential to making Basundi. And this conversation is happening around midnight local time.

Also the answer is NO!
Old 21st May 2020, 10:44   #2451
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Hello sir, I see your enthusiasm for sharing treatment for covid-19 based on research. Keep it going. But I would say if research practicality is any indicator then every home would be generating & storing megawatt of electricity, we would using flying cars powered by nuclear fission.

BTW, Moderna share went from $60 to $80 within days based on this news. it was $30 a month ago.
I am an eternal optimist, and I firmly believe that if humans work together - in this case, almost entirely the worlds medical and bio-technologists - this virus will be defeated.

On the Moderna share price, why to grudge the price going up if they are onto something good? Nobody is forcing anybody to buy or sell the shares.
Old 21st May 2020, 11:23   #2452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Are they using Mr T as a medical consultant these days? India and Donald seem to be the only people now who have faith in HCQS. And I use the word faith specifically. I think it has not performed well in clinical trials?
I think HCQ has been used in other countries as well for the frontline health workers. Many of them were as part of clinical trials. Most results are still awaited. Its being given since there is no other alternative and close to 15% of those affected in China and Italy were healthcare workers. Its safe to use if prescribed and someone is looking at other health factors while doing so.

OT: I watch CNN and they talk to medical professionals and try to forcefully make them tell that Trump should not do that (lot of them refuse!). I believe one of things is as Trump himself admitted, anything he does has to be wrong Ofcourse he has made it easy.
srishiva is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 11:54   #2453
AZT
BHPian

COVID-19 treatment: ICMR mulling revision of recommendation to use HCQ

Quote:
The apex health research body ICMR is mulling a revision of its recommendation to use hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) for treatment of COVID-19 patients after doubts were raised over the effectiveness of the drug.
Quote:
According to an ICMR official, there is limited evidence on the efficacy of hydroxychloroquine to deal with COVID-19 cases and therefore, there is not enough proof to recommend it for use by the general public as of now.
Quote:
Hydorxychloroquine recently failed in two separate randomised controlled trials conducted in China and France, the findings of which were published in the BMJ journal on May 15.
Read More: https://www.livemint.com/news/india/...029104982.html
AZT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 12:14   #2454
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
I think HCQ has been used in other countries as well for the frontline health workers. Many of them were as part of clinical trials. Most results are still awaited. Its being given since there is no other alternative and close to 15% of those affected in China and Italy were healthcare workers. Its safe to use if prescribed and someone is looking at other health factors while doing so.
FACT: There is a still active recommendation by ICMR to use HCQ as a preventive medication to healthcare workers and household contacts looking after a positive case. This may get revised based on studies and observations.

Let's not get carried away by a dislike for Trump, think that Trump is the only one recommending this. FDA also has not withdrawn its HCQ recommendation; it has only warned against indiscriminate and over-the-counter use, without medical guidance.
DigitalOne is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 12:38   #2455
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
FACT: There is a still active recommendation by ICMR to use HCQ as a preventive medication to healthcare workers and household contacts looking after a positive case. This may get revised based on studies and observations.

Let's not get carried away by a dislike for Trump, think that Trump is the only one recommending this. FDA also has not withdrawn its HCQ recommendation; it has only warned against indiscriminate and over-the-counter use, without medical guidance.
True. FDA has warned against use outside of hospitals and self medication.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-52737169

This talks about a trial being started in UK. With vaccine far off, I think more such attempts are always welcome. HCQ does reduce inflammation and fever. Now, only if people stop self medicating !
Old 21st May 2020, 12:51   #2456
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Ha ha. Mr. T said he started HCQS once his concierge turned positive.

Below is a link of Covid positive patient experience from Chennai.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Prabakara...43911308947456

Last edited by ritz3645 : 21st May 2020 at 12:58. Reason: Url updated
Old 21st May 2020, 14:09   #2457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Would this be the case for many who might have contracted the virus and got better even without any medical help, like with majority of asymptomatic cases?
I have the same doubt too! Does is take serious infection to affect our organs?
Old 21st May 2020, 16:53   #2458
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
I have the same doubt too! Does is take serious infection to affect our organs?
Who can know? It really is brand new, and it is only as months and years go by that how it manifests over months and years will be known. And its effects on people who catch it but never know that they did will never be found out. Asymptomatic may not mean no long-term effects.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 17:11   #2459
Senior - BHPian

Current evidence suggests that only those who had a severe disease (needing ventilatory support) showed these long term issues of damage to lungs and kidneys.

Firstly, if someone comes back home after being on a ventilator, he/she should be glad to been alive first of all. Secondly, it needs to be ascertained that what age group among those who developed severe disease are at risk of such long term complications. Severe disease is generally seen in very old people and those who have co morbidities. Such people could already be having weaker lungs or/and kidneys owing to other chronic diseases.

Last edited by PaddleShifter : 21st May 2020 at 17:12. Reason: Typo
PaddleShifter is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 17:16   #2460
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
If all the passengers in the car are family, why should they all wear masks? I am not able to understand that.
Police loves uniforms.
Mask is like a uniform.
Police follows rules without questioning.

Ever tried arguing with the Police?
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks