Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2020, 01:25   #2566
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinkara View Post
Remains to be seen, but the doubts on the HCQ side effects study was apparently triggered by a study by the same set of authors about Ivermectin being effective.
Interesting article. The Surgisphere guy seems to be selling hot air.
Old 7th June 2020, 01:01   #2567
BHPian

My last post here was about (HCQ) given to half of the 10,000 Mumbai policemen as an prophylaxis drug meant to prevent Covid.

Link : date of article 20/5/2020
https://m.timesofindia.com/city/mumb...w/75845670.cms

Today I see an article which mentions use of HCQ in 400 mg doses - two doses on the first day followed by once a week for three weeks for household contacts, or for seven weeks for healthcare workers, as an prophylaxis drug.

https://www.business-standard.com/ar...0600885_1.html

For HCQ in treatment of COVID-19 there are two French reports. Both by French physician and microbiologist specializing in infectious diseases - Didier Raoult. He resigned from the committee formed for Covid 19 saying

'He denounced the "absence of anything scientific sound", and criticised its members for "not having a clue". He defended chloroquine as a benchmark drug for lung diseases that has suddenly been declared dangerous after having been safely used for 80 years.' - wiki.

Didier Raoult report 1

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7102549/

Didier Raoult report 2

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...77893920302179

Against HCQ :

When I visit some Doctors in India, I see Medicine Company Sales people there. Now in Covid 19, is the World seeing a similar Sales effort by Global Medicine Companies ?
ritz3645 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th June 2020, 05:21   #2568
Senior - BHPian

This interview is about analysing efforts around COVID19 & developing it's Vaccine. Sharing as I believe it gives a good perspective & IMO it's necessary to have credible & passionate people.

GrammarNazi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2020, 11:07   #2569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
96 % of active cases in Karnataka are Asymptomatic!!

Attachment 2012712

Most of the districts in KA are testing all the people coming back from MH. This should be the reason as most of the cases in KA since last couple of days are from MH.
That sir, seems to our blessing. Else we would be in much much deeper trouble than we already are! I remember Delhi also reporting a large number of asymptomatic cases some weeks back.
Perhaps data of this nature also emboldened the Govt. to ease the lockdown.
whitewing is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th June 2020, 13:21   #2570
BANNED

https://news.rediff.com/commentary/2...f297d27eebfefb

Sarcastic applause
Old 7th June 2020, 14:01   #2571
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo View Post
It is one way of control - Mangalore in Karnataka is the nearest large town to at least two districts in Kerala and they sealed their border with Kerala to prevent people from those districts from coming for treatment or shopping etc citing high corona cases there. Doesn’t make sense of course.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2020, 15:04   #2572
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
It is one way of control
Doesn’t make sense of course.
Yup, agree.

But I foresee a lot of mess going forward. I'm guessing an ID with a local address as proof would be required to validate this.

Forget the poor, even a good % of middle class/educated folks might not have their documents in shape, especially those in bachelor setups.

I'm believing the migrant movement was also based on reasons like this.
Old 7th June 2020, 15:19   #2573
BHPian

I had severe malaria 5 times and acute fatal brain malaria once as a kid. Each time, I was saved by Chloroquine. I didn't have any serious side effects other than nausea and a headache. I seriously don't understand why people in the US sincerely want the drug to fail. Even though promoted by Trump, HCQ with Zinc have shown some positive results. Big pharma companies like Gilead want their drug Remdesivir to be at the forefront rather than generic el-cheapo drugs like HCQ. I had already stocked on few strips of HCQ when Indian government came up with the notification of taking HCQ as a preventive for Health Workers. Looking at the way this whole pandemic is spreading in India, the question is not If, but When
jothishX is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th June 2020, 16:23   #2574
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This decision is Exhibit A for first order naive thinking that will explode spectacularly.

I don't have on hand data but places like Gurgaon for sure have excess capacity in tertiary healthcare versus their population, and the infection rate in Gurgaon is much much lower than Delhi. At a time when he should be insisting on Gurgaon top hospitals entertaining patients from delhi where hospital beds are beginning to run out, he takes the exact opposite decision.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 13:56   #2575
AZT
BHPian

Some great news
Mother Contracts COVID-19 While Pregnant, Baby Is Born Healthy with Antibodies

Quote:
The mother, known only by her pseudonym Xiaoyu, discovered she had the coronavirus in early April despite showing no symptoms. She received a 10-day treatment and recovered well.
Then, on May 30, Xiaoyu gave birth to a healthy baby boy in the southern city of Shenzhen. Both the first-time-mother and the child have now been discharged from the Shenzhen Third Hospital.
They both tested negative for the coronavirus according to a post from the local government. The mother received six nucleic acid tests and all the results came back negative.
In addition to also testing negative for the coronavirus, the newborn baby's screening results indicated that he was born with coronavirus antibodies.
Read More: https://interestingengineering.com/m...ith-antibodies
AZT is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 21:12   #2576
Distinguished - BHPian

Quarantine Fatigue, yes, this is a real term. It often happens when
Quote:
If you've found you're no longer disinfecting your hands as often or becoming more lenient toward unnecessary trips outside, you're not alone.

Link

And this is for real. I forgot to put on my mask when I left for clinic. I had to get it from a shop before going to my chamber. I've already done a few such careless mistakes in last 2 - 3 days. And I can feel that I'm losing my guard.
BoneCollector is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 21:31   #2577
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
...I've already done a few such careless mistakes in last 2 - 3 days. And I can feel that I'm losing my guard.
Don't be hard on yourself doc. It's a bit like defensive driving, needs conscious effort every single time, even after years of doing it. Pandemic precautions are still a newbie to all of us .
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 08:58   #2578
Senior - BHPian

So it turns out to be true what many predicted. The actual infection rate in India, specially hotspots, is much much higher than the reported cases. Even to the tune of 100x ! Most folks have contracted the virus and recovered silently without even knowing.

Some insights from the antibody testing (serosurvey) conducted by ICMR:

What has emerged from the data analysis so far?

* Very high exposure levels in some cities

* Very low exposure levels in rural sites

* In some areas with high exposure, 15 to 30 per cent population has been exposed to the infection

* In some sites, the infection size is 100 to 200 timer higher than the cases reported at those sites

Source: https://www.newindianexpress.com/nat...mpression=true
DCEite is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 09:16   #2579
BHPian

Asymptomatic spread of coronavirus is 'very rare,' WHO says

"From the data we have, it still seems to be rare that an asymptomatic person actually transmits onward to a secondary individual,"*Dr. Maria Van Kerkhove, head of WHO's emerging diseases and zoonosis unit, said*at a news briefing from the United Nations agency's Geneva headquarters. "It's very rare."

Src: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/08/asym...-who-says.html

Note: since this is coming from WHO it is prudent to take this with a pinch of salt.
Old 9th June 2020, 10:45   #2580
BHPian

Not sure if this is the correct thread.. if not , pls move it.
Query regarding driving through KA to KL from MH. What are the rules for people driving in personal vehicle from Mumbai to Cochin and transiting through KA? Any one did this recently?

Most Viewed