Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2020, 20:02   #3901
BHPian

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

Don't know if this belongs here or the joke thread, but couldn't resist sharing:
https://www.wionews.com/world/chines...er-2019-346039

Quote:
The scientists argue their method of investigation rules out the virus found in Wuhan as the 'original' virus, and instead points to eight other countries: Bangladesh, the USA, Greece, Australia, India, Italy, Czech Republic, Russia or Serbia.

Researchers go on to argue that because India and Bangladesh both recorded samples with low mutations and are geographic neighbours, it is likely that the first transmission occurred there.

Their unproven theory goes on to say: "The water shortage made wild animals such as monkeys engage in the deadly fight over water among each other and would have surely increased the chance of human-wild animal interactions. We speculated that the [animal to human] transmission of SARS-CoV-2 might be associated with this unusual heat wave.

"India's poor healthcare system and young population allowed the virus to spread undetected for several months."
Leaving the awesome science aside, the sheer respect towards neighbors (apparent from the tone) is breathtakingly awesome. And, people say they don't understand what's my problem in buying stuff from the likes of TP-link, Xiaomi and other CCP backed enterprises. Apologies about the rant guys
Su-47 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 28th November 2020, 21:15   #3902
RSR
Senior - BHPian

The US FDA has approved the emergency use of two drugs, including the Regeneron one that was used to treat President Trump when he was hospitalised:

Quote:
The Food and Drug Administration has granted emergency authorization to two monoclonal antibody formulations – bamlanivimab, produced by Eli Lilly, and a two-antibody combination developed by Regeneron.

These drugs are supposed to prevent the coronavirus from invading cells. Instead of being a pill or a shot, these drugs are in the form of a liquid that must be infused intravenously — a process that takes two hours or more.

More

These drugs are to be administered intravenously to those suffering from Covid-19 and cannot be taken as pills or injected.

Pills and/or injections would have been so much better, but as long as these drugs help in curing patients (like it did for Trump), they're very welcome!

Trump even spoke glowingly about the Regeneron drug in his thank you speech upon discharge from hospital. He happens to be one of the "guinea pigs" used for this treatment before its use became more widespread.

Last edited by RSR : 28th November 2020 at 21:28.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2020, 22:04   #3903
BHPian

The ethical issues behind a fast tracked human challenge based unknown vaccine. Although denied here, substantial numbers of volunteers enroll due to financial reasons, especially in a bad economy.

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/935377
Zen2001 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th November 2020, 08:58   #3904
Senior - BHPian

Biggest joke of the Coronova virus - China blames India that the virus originated in India and then traveled unnoticed to Wuhan..

Quote:
As World Health Organisation (WHO) team geares up to investigate the origin of the Covid-19 virus, Chinese scientists come up with a new story trying to divert the international attention towards India.

After blaming Italy, US and Europe for the outbreak, in a new, the Chinese scientists have now claimed that the deadly novel coronavirus originated in India in the summer of 2019.

A team of researchers from the Chinese Academy of Sciences claim that the COVID-19 virus most likely originated in India in summer 2019. Their theory suggests that the virus, jumped from animals to humans via contaminated water, before travelling unnoticed to Wuhan, where it was first detected.

The research, entitled 'The Early Cryptic Transmission and Evolution of Sars-Cov-2 in Human Hosts', challenges the general theory among scientists that the virus originated in the wet markets of Wuhan. China has been claiming that just because corona cases were first reported in Wuhan, does not mean the contagion originated from there.

In their paper, the Chinese team use phylogenetic analysis to trace the origins of Covid-19. Viruses, like all cells, mutate as they reproduce, meaning tiny changes occur in their DNA each time they replicate themselves, according to a DailyMail report.
Source: https://www.dnaindia.com/world/news-...-virus-2859051

Last edited by ruzbehxyz : 29th November 2020 at 09:01.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th November 2020, 10:28   #3905
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
Biggest joke of the Coronova virus - China blames India that the virus originated in India and then traveled unnoticed to Wuhan..
So much for banning Aliexpress app .
paragsachania is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th November 2020, 13:11   #3906
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
So much for banning Aliexpress app .

Of course! There are far more travelers to the rest of the world from India than China. So as per this theory, Covid originated in India, then travelled to Europe and the USA silently and only in China it was detected. Later the silent mutations of the virus somehow felt they were caught red handed and unleashed havoc across the world. And finally the Chinese controlled the Virus somehow which the other countries of the world are struggling to. Thats how they want to put the story as.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th November 2020, 15:48   #3907
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post

Biggest joke of the Coronova virus - China blames India that the virus originated in India and then traveled unnoticed to Wuhan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post

So much for banning Aliexpress app.
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post

Of course! There are far more travelers to the rest of the world from India than China.

It's highly important to counter the media narrative set by the PRC and parroted out by the PRC-controlled/influenced mainstream media outlets. First it was Italy, then the USA and now India that the PRC is falsely alleging as the country of origin with their fake theories.

If the 1920 worldwide pandemic can be called the Spanish Flu (it didn't even originate in Spain), viruses can be named Ebola (a river in Congo) & West Nile Virus, diseases can be named German Measles & Japanese Encephalitis, then it's perfectly fine to name this virus also after its place/country of origin.

This particular virus is (and should also go down in history as) the Chinese Coronavirus as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited by RSR : 29th November 2020 at 16:06.
RSR is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 16:57   #3908
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Kudos sir, Kudos!
There are ways for ensuring privacy like installing it on a secondary phone - but to avoid it in a pandemic when almost 15L people have died globally tells you that you can't trust on the civic sense of your fellow citizens to stay safe.
Arogaya Setu doesn’t help me in staying safe in any way whatsoever. Every time I go out of the house, whether to a mall, restaurant, bank, office or even the streets for a walk, I am sure I interact with dozens if not hundreds of covid positive people. That is why I wear a mask, even a N95 in really crowded and enclosed areas, when ever I go inside a building. I keep my distance from others and try to spend as little time inside a crowded area as possible. It is of no benefit to me to learn that yesterday I was close to 1 or 2 or 10 positive folks as I already know that everyday I am bound to in contact with many of them from bankers to delivery people. So pray tell how will the app in question keep me safe? At a few malls and offices in the NCR, the guards half heartedly ask if I have the app and I answer in affirmative and carry on. Fortunately they don’t ask to see it. There are some entrances where they ask to see it and I have found others where they do not. So obviously I use the entrances where it would not be checked. I have even taken a screenshot of the green status and as a last resort, I show it to the guard. If I have to turn it on, I force stop it and turn off the Bluetooth and location immediately afterwards. Generally I would avoid entering such an establishment as I consider it to be a harassment. As I stated on another thread, I see no benefit in knowing whether I was close to an infected person and I have no intention of getting myself tested even if I learnt that I had some interaction with a patient. The only time I would test is if I were sick enough to need hospitalisation or there were some mandatory requirement to do so for travel. I would obviously avoid traveling to such a destination as far as possible. If fact, I never provide correct phone number to any establishment that asks for it for contact tracing purpose as I have no desire to be informed whether someone was found positive there and I certainly don’t want to be subjected to testing and any restrictions that might come with it. This doesn’t endanger me or anyone else in any manner as I keep distance from others and wear a mask when I am near others in any case. We all need to safeguard ourselves using basic and reasonable measures rather than relying on an app. I am ok with people using it voluntarily but I would not want it to be mandatory.
Lobogris is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 5th December 2020, 17:56   #3909
Senior - BHPian

Got a haircut yesterday - this is me at the chair closest to the exit in a nearly empty salon with all my COVID precautions [yes I had to get a professional haircut for medical reasons and I'd rather support my local salon than UC whose barbers would have been equally exposed by now]

Query for the similarly paranoid ones - what other precautions would you / do you take in such circumstances?
The Coronavirus Thread-haircut-corona.jpg
phamilyman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2020, 18:04   #3910
Senior - BHPian

^^ I engaged a barber from UC to get a haircut for me and my son a couple of months back. I made him do it outside in open air, in a secluded part of common area. He wore mask and face shield, we wore mask only. Had to remove the ear straps of the mask and hold the mask with one finger when he cut in the sideburn area.

Now I hear even my local barber offers similar service and accepts cashless payment. So I plan to call him for the next hair cut. We will do it in the open air for some more time.
Gansan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th December 2020, 18:08   #3911
BHPian

Quote:

Query for the similarly paranoid ones - what other precautions would you / do you take in such circumstances?
I am somewhat, no, rather surprised, that you are even asking this question: at less than a meter separation, and an average 70nanometer virus diameter, it's a futile exercise in trying to "take precautions", don't you think? Except of course if it was Ed Scissorhands from 6 feet or more, away! Just hope....I suppose!
lapis_lazuli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2020, 18:09   #3912
BHPian

Quote:

Personally, I just mow down my hair with a Wahl trimmer. Have given myself 3 haircuts like that and will probably continue like this for now. The first haircut, I got my Mom to give me one and it was actually pretty good. Followed instructions from Youtube and it was easy, considering I have a very simple hairstyle. Now I just completely mow them down with a 6mm comb.
rdst_1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th December 2020, 18:41   #3913
Distinguished - BHPian

I was overdue for a haircut when this whole thing started. I think my last might have been back in February!

My precautions: no, I am not going to a barber. I'm giving myself an occasional hack-cut. When the long bits start to annoy, I'm hacking them off with the kitchen scissors.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2020, 18:46   #3914
BHPian

Quote:
Got a haircut yesterday - this is me at the chair closest to the exit in a nearly empty salon with all my COVID precautions [yes I had to get a professional haircut for medical reasons and I'd rather support my local salon than UC whose barbers would have been equally exposed by now]

Attachment 2089556
Hmm, My opinion will be against some on this thread but I guess that is ok. This is a discussion forum and we are all allowed to express our opinion freely.

I go to my regular barber after they opened the shop. Simply because I want to support anything local. For precautions, he now gives a separate gown fresh out of the kit (similar to what you have in your image) for every setting and then discards it as opposed to using the same for the next customer earlier. He sprays the sanitizer on the chair and on all scissors, combs, etc. I sanitize my hands and arms before getting in and after the hair cut. I keep my mask on all this while and so does he.

Extra precautions that I take - I enter the shop only when there is no other customer there. This is the benefit of WFH and also having the shop just outside the building gate.

Extra precautions that we can take - Be the first customer of the day on a weekday. Better yet, call him on his weekly off when the shop is closed and he will do it only for you. My barber has agreed for this on next sitting for my son as he lives very close by.

All his employees are still at their native and so he is the only one running the shop. Prices have doubled than before but these guys don't have the option I believe.

And we do this for everyone at home - myself, my father and my son.

During the first lockdown when everything was shut, my wife did the cut for myself and my son. It was good but too much to ask of her for every month. I don't like long hair. Plus I don't like the mess it creates at my home.

Last edited by sunilch : 5th December 2020 at 18:49.
sunilch is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th December 2020, 18:56   #3915
BHPian

I have had 4 haircuts from UC since the Covid 'era' began.

They seem to do everything possible hygiene wise, spraying a sanitizer on everything they bring and rubbing his hands many many times. Then a face shield.
Nalin1 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks