Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2020, 21:03   #31
Team-BHP Support

re: The Coronavirus Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
That is not the right way to look at it. Of the 20,636 people infected so far most of them have contracted the disease only during the last couple of days. Look at the no of people who has died (427) and those who have recovered (669). That's more like a 40% mortality rate. Of course, realistically, I think it would settle around 20-30%.
Good point. Actual mortality rate can only be determined after the last patient has been discharged. Mortality rate data of recent pandemics (in comparison with ordinary seasonal flu):

The Coronavirus Thread-h1n1.jpg

Last edited by SmartCat : 4th February 2020 at 21:06.
Old 5th February 2020, 01:47   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
I have planned a family trip to Phuket in mid-March. Not sure whether to go ahead with it or not. Flight tickets and hotel is partially booked with very low cancellation refund, will leave a massive hole in my pocket if I have to cancel it :(

Unfortunately, not much information is being circulated on Thailand's number of corona virus affected people. Heck, I feel they must be doing it deliberately as they know it can affect tourist inflow which will have an impact on their economy.

One look at Youtube videos on Wuhan's meat market and one will understand why those people should not contract any unknown disease, sadly, others like me too will have to pay the price ! (pun intended)

Literally the same. Family trip booked to Phuket in mid March. Everything already paid for. I'm really hoping the next 6 weeks bring some good news or I'm confident the airlines and hotels will refund the full amount due to the unavoidable situation.
Old 5th February 2020, 07:37   #33
BHPian

May be we should rename the thread - "The Coronavirus Threat".

I guess the best we can do to stay safe is to follow the basics - avoid touching mouth, nose, eyes with unwashed hands, use soaps/sanitizers often and keep distance from people showing symptoms of illness.
Old 5th February 2020, 08:39   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
Though China claims that the virus started spreading from the Wuhan seafood market via bats which were eaten by humans, there are many theories floating around linking the virus spread to biological warfare.
Those articles are based on pure speculation.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/01/29...not-bioweapon/
Old 5th February 2020, 09:31   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
Pakistani Embassy in China has denied to evacuate its citizens.

New Zealand is charging $500 per head whereas Australia is charging $1000 per head from its citizens in China for evacuation.

India has already started the mission and completed three trips from China to India free of cost. Cheers to Indian Government.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...uhan-under-way

Excerpt from the article is as below,

After the government initially said Australian citizens and permanent residents would be charged about $1,000 each for transport and accommodation, those evacuated from Wuhan will not pay anything.

The Australian government is covering most of the cost of the charter from Wuhan, which will be operated at a loss by Qantas.

Qantas has announced it would bear the costs of flying Australians back to their home cities after they had finished their period of quarantine on Christmas Island.
Old 5th February 2020, 14:16   #36
BHPian

I was in China for almost whole of Jan, from the Eastern coast to South East China, glued to state run CGTN.
The fatality figures being declared by the Chinese govt are questionable, as I understood from locals.
I kind of agree with the travel ban from counties like Singapore, as this infection is just short of a pandemic.
Received this pic on social media busting some myths.The Coronavirus Thread-corona.jpg
Old_Salt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 14:39   #37
Senior - BHPian

Cases of the virus around the world as of 04th February.

Source: BBC.
Attached Thumbnails
The Coronavirus Thread-_110765862_global_map_04_feb_v6nc.png  

Old 5th February 2020, 15:58   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
India has already started the mission and completed three trips from China to India free of cost. Cheers to Indian Government.
Isn't this risky? It is difficult to impose proper procedures in India. Two guys from Kerala who were supposed to be quarantined already slipped out of the country. If we bring in people from China and they don't comply with the procedures it can become a big epidemic here too.
Old 5th February 2020, 16:33   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnow View Post
Isn't this risky? It is difficult to impose proper procedures in India. Two guys from Kerala who were supposed to be quarantined already slipped out of the country. If we bring in people from China and they don't comply with the procedures it can become a big epidemic here too.

Unfortunately thats the truth. It's the duty of the Government to evacuate their citizens from countries in trouble like war, epidemic etc. This has happened many times in the past for different reasons.
However the million dollar question is how India can tackle the issue. We have procedures in place but they may not be strict enough.
Old 5th February 2020, 16:55   #40
BHPian

Following is heatmap of outbreak of the Virus.

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/a...23467b48e9ecf6

Ideally when any Indian is evacuated, first s/he should be brought to remote islands like Andaman etc. to be quarantined for upto 2 weeks including airplane and other staff. Only after thorough inspection, person should be allowed to enter mainland.

Since this is flu family virus, there are high chances that, like swineflu, this virus could settle in India for long time...

Last edited by arzala : 5th February 2020 at 17:06. Reason: formatting issues
Old 5th February 2020, 17:47   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
My doctor recommended the N95 mask - link on Amazon. Apparently, it's not easy or convenient, but better than catching the damn virus.

Actually you do not need an N95 mask since the virus is not airborne. It spreads through respiratory droplets produced when a person sneezes or coughs. Covering your face with even a cloth can stop these droplets from reaching your mouth or nose.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...nsmission.html
Old 5th February 2020, 18:34   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My doctor recommended the N95 mask - link on Amazon. Apparently, it's not easy or convenient, but better than catching the damn virus.

I bought this mask from Amazon India and found it very useful. It may not be useful for the virus but it's definitely useful for street pollution. The build quality is good as well.
Old 6th February 2020, 00:23   #43
BHPian

Quote:
My doctor recommended the N95 mask
Good advice by the doctor. N95 is cumbersome to wear and the correct method should be used for proper functioning. Also do not reuse the mask again if its functional integrity is compromised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Of the 20,636 people infected so far most of them have contracted the disease only during the last couple of days.
Not precisely. There is an incubation period that each pathogen has and the symptoms appear after the incubation period of the said pathogen has passed. People showing symptoms have been infected earlier than the day the first symptoms appear.

Also, there will be a lot of unreported or asymptomatic cases which are still not known. This is known as the 'Iceberg Phenomenon'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
It appears though that the virus was first detected in a Saudi national a few years back
That earlier was the MERS-CoV (Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus) whereas this, today is the NCoV (Novel Coronavirus), they are similar (not same) but the conspiracy theory is not verifiable as of now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
Actual mortality rate can only be determined after the last patient has been discharged.
Mortality rate can be estimated by doing epidemiological studies. Last patient dischage not required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Salt View Post
infection is just short of a pandemic.
As the infection has passed intercontinental boundaries it is in my view a pandemic. Will be official only after WHO declares so (hope it doesn't).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnow View Post
If we bring in people from China and they don't comply with the procedures it can become a big epidemic here too.
We can't leave our countrymen and women behind irrespective of their behaviour. There are measures in place for proper compliance including legal detention. Although I agree stricter surveillance should have been done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arzala View Post
Ideally when any Indian is evacuated, first s/he should be brought to remote islands like Andaman etc. to be quarantined for upto 2 weeks including airplane and other staff.

Since this is flu family virus, there are high chances that, like swineflu, this virus could settle in India for long time...
Sending people to remote places will just increase the logistics and complexity of the quarantine. Currently Indian students from China are being quarantined near Gurgaon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Fury View Post
Actually you do not need an N95 mask since the virus is not airborne. It spreads through respiratory droplets produced when a person sneezes or coughs. Covering your face with even a cloth can stop these droplets from reaching your mouth.
N95 is essential for high risk personnel such as doctors and paramedics. Other people can also use this in crowded and congested public areas. Patients should also use this mask so as to prevent the spread of disease to others. N95 is basically a respirator which seals your nose and mouth from the outside environment after proper application which may not be possible by normal mask.

Lets hope for the best.

Last edited by nasa_hubble : 6th February 2020 at 00:31.
Old 6th February 2020, 20:14   #44
BHPian

is there any way the parcels coming from China through Ali Express etc. could remotely be infected (the seller sneezes on the parcel and that travels all the way to my gate or any other way for that matter)?

I frequently buy products from Ali and often shipped from China. Want to be safe.
Old 6th February 2020, 20:28   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingout View Post
Literally the same. Family trip booked to Phuket in mid March. Everything already paid for. I'm really hoping the next 6 weeks bring some good news or I'm confident the airlines and hotels will refund the full amount due to the unavoidable situation.
Airlines will do but hotels may not especially if booked via an aggregator like Expedia. If you have booked direct, they may support or give a voucher for a stay at a later date.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks