Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2021, 20:31   #4486
BHPian

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

So, according to logic, more than 3 people in an autorickshaw, 3.5 people in a taxi having a legal seating capacity of 5 is "unsafe" and "restricted", but 50 on a bus on every seat is fine. Infact the entire 17 page order is riddled with contradictions. If (Maharashtra) government wanted to put up a show, you think it could have rehearsed it better over the last weekend before coming out with these jokes!

No wonder people are so confused. And traffic today (the way I saw) - as bad as ever before. We might as well just get on with it, instead of these charades.

https://twitter.com/anusehgal/status...977395202?s=20
Attached Thumbnails
The Coronavirus Thread-img_20210414_201050.jpg  

The Coronavirus Thread-screenshot_2021041420291644_577d3fb6a74f2f15839a6cd01d5168cd.jpg  

Zen2001 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 20:36   #4487
Senior - BHPian

A close relative of a friend of ours is in Mumbai (Kandivali) and has severe Covid infection. The patient has been prescribed Tocilizumab, but the family has so far been unable to source it in Mumbai.

If anyone in the forum can help the family source the medicine, please PM me.
Old 14th April 2021, 21:13   #4488
BHPian

This is what happens when state and central governments play politics over a pandemic. In the end, they people at large are blamed and the people suffer. From what was clearly known in the first week of last December, to pressing the panic button in the third week of March, they collectively have put millions , not just in Maharashtra, but throughout the country at risk. Blindly banking on a vaccine that doesn't prevent infection (& transmission) after all. They have been lying to you while laying on their a$$es for over 3 months. Digest that.

https://scroll.in/article/992172/ind...have-backfired
Zen2001 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 21:38   #4489
Senior - BHPian

I guess, looking at the rate of fatalities we have nothing to worry. We just need to make sure the people infected dont try to go to hospitals to overwhelm them

People last year atleast tried to be cautious. Looks like they have put the onus on upper person
srishiva is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 03:24   #4490
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
I guess, looking at the rate of fatalities we have nothing to worry. We just need to make sure the people infected dont try to go to hospitals to overwhelm them

People last year atleast tried to be cautious. Looks like they have put the onus on upper person
Are you sure about the fatality rates..?
https://www.indiatoday.in/cities/bho...720-2021-04-14
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 08:58   #4491
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Sorry friend. There have been arguments that we dont need to worry since the rate (of course given our population) is low. Somehow being worried with the fatalities means supporting lockdown or the current dispensation or something

There were reports that in Surat, the crematoriums are also seeing 10 times more people arriving. Its really sad to see the numbers everywhere.

Last edited by srishiva : 15th April 2021 at 08:59.
srishiva is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 08:59   #4492
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I think he was being satirical. My opinion regarding infection rate, fatality rate etc is that any analysis being carried upon these numbers is just GIGO. Plain garbage. These are heavily fudged numbers nowhere close to the reality.
saket77 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 09:37   #4493
Senior - BHPian

The covid cases have touched 2L yesterday. This may be only the tip of iceberg as many news reports have been pointing out. We can easily reach 5L cases per day by next week.

We need to show some empathy towards lakhs of patients who are struggling to gasp air and their relatives running around for a vial or Remdesivir or Tocilizumab. Posts trivialising the pandemic should be removed with out any considerations. Else the forum will be doing a big disservice to its readers. This thread itself has more than million hits much more than a tweet or a Facebook post.

Last edited by vb-saan : 15th April 2021 at 10:35. Reason: Do understand your point, but removing certain bits of the post to avoid OT discussions. Thank you!
poloman is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 10:03   #4494
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Posts trivializing the pandemic should be removed with out any considerations. Else the forum will be doing a big disservice to its readers.
At the risk of going off topic, let us remember that this is a democratic forum, and all members have a right to post their opinions, within the forum rules. Just because others have a different viewpoint, it doesn't mean you remove their posts. Unless obviously, it's blatant fake news.

Thank you!

Last edited by PearlJam : 15th April 2021 at 10:06.
PearlJam is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 10:46   #4495
Senior - BHPian

Last few days were quite a revelation. Two neighbors across the road have Covid19 in their family. Due to some urgent issue, I have to reach Udiapur (its a mandatory travel) on 19-04-2021 and I need RTPCR negative report that should not be older than 72 hours. None of the labs in Vadodara are picking up phone and I got injured a couple of days back, having two stiches on my right ankle, I cant drive. My family to rescue : decided to head Ahmedabad tomorrow instead of 18-04-2021, but as I cant drive, dialed by dad's chaffeur. His wife is having Covid19. On another front, in my office's team, only one person is fully fit out of 6 and his brother also has covid19. My friend's brother is admitted due to Covid, he wasn't able to get bed, a phone call from IAS and and another phone call from CFO of a public undertaking got him a semi special bed after two hours.

Covid has spread like anything in India and numbers are under-reported. Metal funeral pyres were being constructed on urgent basis somewhere in Gujarat, in Surat funeral house chimney was damaged due to continous running. Two funeral houses were restarted in Surat. Ahmedabad civil has a huge pile up of ambulances. There is shortage of beds, Remdesiver injections, ambulances is what I came to know.

In all probability, situation would be similar at many places. I felt helpless when my right leg was hurt in afternoon. Just image what would have happened in lockdown last year when many hospitals weren't dealing with anything other than covid. Never felt so helpless to be honest, I cant even get my test done for mandatory traveling. Numbers are massively under reported. Am scared to take a cab anywhere, be it labs or to another city.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 15th April 2021 at 10:48.
aaggoswami is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 12:41   #4496
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
Now his doctor has prescribed Remdesivir and it's the same thing all over again - we have called the helpline (1077,020-26123371) and every phone number we got (say the numbers of distributors given in PMC's order, cipla-helpline etc.), but there is no response. Could be because today is a holiday (Gudi-Padwa), but the situation appears grim.
After posting here, I got some more contact numbers (thanks guys - you know who you are), but couldn't make much progress there as well. In the meanwhile, more family members posted messages on SM asking for help. We also came to know that it is available in black for 50k+/dose (MRP is around 1k). First there is the moral issue of buying it in black-market and encouraging such practices, and then there is the safety issue - if someone is okay with the ghastly business of charging 50x on a critical drug, they wouldn't have any qualms about selling counterfeits either.

Based on the SM posts, one good samaritan contacted us saying one of his relatives couldn't use all the doses, and they have the unused ones lying in the fridge and we are welcome to use them. With feeling of deep gratitude, the injections were picked up from their place.

However, this was in Mumbai and it was already evening time - the next problem was transporting it to Pune. Contacted a taxi-guy and he mentioned that it was risky to start a journey then (as an announcement as expected at 8:30 and if a lockdown was imposed his car and driver would be stuck). He recommended that we start after there is more clarity. When he was told that it is a medicine that needs to be delivered urgently, he asked - "Kahin ye Ram-Daas-Veer to nahin hai?". When we said yes, we were prepared for a bit of extortion, but instead he said - "Sir, kisi ke zindagi ka sawaal hai, koshish karta hoon".

In half an hour, a car was arranged and an the driver refused any extra-payment saying that his dispatch has informed him that this is important medical stuff, and they are not in the business of making money out of people in distress.

So, here we are - on one side we have black-marketers profiting off an essential drug. But, on the other side we also have folks who stepped forward to help unknown people rather selflessly - and this gives me hope and positivity about humanity

Last edited by Su-47 : 15th April 2021 at 12:46.
Su-47 is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 14:02   #4497
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys, very happy to update that I have almost recovered from Covid . O2 levels are ~98 constantly, fever is totally gone, my usual appetite is back, no sore throat or any symptoms at all. Just that 10% weakness remains, but I guess that'll be around for a couple of days. Am going to avoid the gym / running for a month.

Thanks to everyone for the good wishes . And the incredible posts too! I have gotten more knowledge about Covid from Team-BHP than anywhere else.
GTO is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 14:12   #4498
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Posts trivialising the pandemic should be removed with out any considerations. Else the forum will be doing a big disservice to its readers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
... all members have a right to post their opinions, within the forum rules.
Find myself having to say yes and yes. It is a tough job for the moderators.

Sure, it is hardly likely that reported numbers are accurate, and it is probably that they are wildly underestimated. Surely many must have asymptomatic/mild cases for which they never went near a test or even a doctor. There must even be those who died of the thing, unnoticed by medical/official eyes.

They way I view the published numbers is that they are a sample. I don't know, but I'm hoping that the sampling remains consistent, therefore there is something to gleaned from those numbers in terms of trend. If not, then we are aboard a rudderless boat in uncharted waters. And I'm not saying that might not be true.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 14:15   #4499
BHPian

Sharing this useful information about the Remdesivir injection. For Pune district, there is a control room for distribution of the injection. Contact number - 020 26123371 or 1077. This will be operational till 31st May. Apologies for sharing late.
Akshay6988 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 14:18   #4500
Distinguished - BHPian

Here in Germany, the concerned authorities have recommended those who have taken the first jab of the Astra Zeneca vaccine to switch to an MRNA vaccine for the second dose after a gap of 6-12 weeks if I read it right. While this doesnt come with any backing or research as per the article, is it a good idea to do it? My Grany was one of the very few who got Covishield in the family, while my parents and other grandmom got Covaxin. Hence I am wondering if we should consider getting her Covaxin as her second dose. Maybe this blood clot theory is hyped, but I am sure such things are scrutinised far deeply in the EU and USA compared to India given the variety and volume of our population.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks