Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2021, 22:03   #4531
BHPian

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

Regarding reinfection I am yet to hear death or severe hospitalization in reinfection cases. Also from my personal experience I never suffered from those symptoms which I had when I first got infected in july 2020 even though I get exposed to covid patients almost everyday and mostly without protective gears and sometimes without even a mask. Karnataka CM was asymptomatic in the 1st covid infection so we dont know if it was truely covid or a false positive. Lets see what he goes through this time as he has got fever and classical covid symptoms. Another Maharashtra minister and team had covid reinfection few days back and can see he is back to his normal self and slapped someone a week back. Just want to reduce panic so thought of sharing.

Last edited by BLACKRiVAL : 16th April 2021 at 22:08.
BLACKRiVAL is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 16th April 2021, 22:51   #4532
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
Over 1700 tested positive in 5 days; Akhara head dies of Covid.

And this is as of 14th April, Sad scenes.

Attachment 2145177
On one hand we have Covid Vaccine Mela and on the other we have Kumbh Mela. That said I'm not too confident that the vaccine is actually working. People who have received the vaccine have got Covid. Most Covid vaccines have been 'fast-tracked' meaning they have jumped many measures regular drugs and vaccines go through pushing crucial data like effectiveness/side effects under the carpet. In the coming months we will see news to that effect. India with its huge population and scanty medical facilities will face a huge challenge in the second wave.
Durango Dude is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th April 2021, 23:47   #4533
Senior - BHPian

^^ I know of two people in my family/Friends circle who got the infection even after receiving the vaccine; one of them a couple or three weeks after receiving the first shot. The second person got infected just days after getting the second shot.

In the first case the infection is somewhat severe and required hospital admission after spending about a week under home quarantine. Person is still in hospital. The second case has proved to be mild so far and the person is under home quarantine.
Gansan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th April 2021, 23:55   #4534
BHPian

Covid-19: politicisation, “corruption,” and suppression of science
https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4425.long

Science in the time of corona: That uneasy feeling
https://www.mjdrdypv.org/article.asp...ulast=Banerjee
Zen2001 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th April 2021, 10:45   #4535
BHPian

A good explainer on Cycle Threshold (CT) values of RT-PCR and how they are used to classify +ve or -ve cases. I think Zen2001 had a post on this few days back.

Source: TOI Print edition, Bangalore (17-Apr).

The Coronavirus Thread-20210417_102840.jpg

Look carefully at the highlighted part. Maharashtra asked for a reduction the CT guideline value to 24 from 35. ICMR rejected the request .

I am not going to the merits or demerits of the request/ rejection as I am hardly qualified to do so.

But what struck me immediately is that the number of "positive" cases can be brought up or down just at the stroke of ICMR bureaucrat's pen. . If ICMR changes the guideline tomorrow to 25, the number of "positive" cases would drop rapidly.
DigitalOne is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 17th April 2021, 12:49   #4536
BHPian

Request everyone to review this recent article in Lancet: "Ten scientific reasons in support of airborne transmission of SARS-CoV-2" https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...869-2/fulltext) It is only two pages long and easy to understand.

It talks about airborne transmission, which I believe is something that is known to the medical professionals for a while, but the bureaucrats asked them to shut-up citing "lack of evidence". In some way equating "absence of evidence" to "evidence of absence"..

Quote:
In conclusion, we propose that it is a scientific error to use lack of direct evidence of SARS-CoV-2 in some air samples to cast doubt on airborne transmission while overlooking the quality and strength of the overall evidence base. There is consistent, strong evidence that SARS-CoV-2 spreads by airborne transmission. Although other routes can contribute, we believe that the airborne route is likely to be dominant. The public health community should act accordingly and without further delay.
Su-47 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th April 2021, 13:20   #4537
BHPian

A very insightful analysis of the Covid situation in India.

Officially, India has around 14 million cases. But if you go by the serological surveys, the actual number of Covid cases in India could be around 400 million, which is more than the entire population of the United States.

https://www.pixstory.com/story/india...on-of-us/30297

This is based on work by the scientific community and is not a personal opinion. And I think it may be correct, considering that every whatsapp group i'm a part of is full of grim news about covid +ve members :(

Sorry if the link is a repost.
naru80 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th April 2021, 13:26   #4538
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
On one hand we have Covid Vaccine Mela and on the other we have Kumbh Mela. That said I'm not too confident that the vaccine is actually working. People who have received the vaccine have got Covid. Most Covid vaccines have been 'fast-tracked' meaning they have jumped many measures regular drugs and vaccines go through pushing crucial data like effectiveness/side effects under the carpet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
^^ I know of two people in my family/Friends circle who got the infection even after receiving the vaccine; one of them a couple or three weeks after receiving the first shot. The second person got infected just days after getting the second shot.
Getting a vaccine will not ensure one becomes immune to COVID. All the vaccines basically are effective in preventing severe symptoms, hospitalizations and deaths due to COVID (in most cases, outliers will be there of course). One can still be infected even after getting the vaccine.
akhil994 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th April 2021, 16:00   #4539
BHPian

Friends, what do you think will be the logical end to this pandemic? In order words, when do you expect to see the world moving past covid?

As of now I am healthy and have no symptoms but for living, I have to travel daily by public transport. Although I use mask religiously, social distancing is a joke. Passengers normally sit adjacent to each other almost brushing shoulders and a lot of people stand in between seats. What should I be doing to protect myself without much expenditure?
DonHyd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th April 2021, 16:39   #4540
BHPian

Covid is here to stay forever and this has been stated by experts from the beginning. And that's why some countries experimented with herd immunity in the beginning.
Vaccines won't provide Immunity but will only help against severe consequences for a limited period of time, just like flu vaccines which are administered annually.
In US, approx 24k to 62k people die from flu every year. So it's safe to assume the number for the same in India will be in lakhs however, there are no official numbers due to lack of data.
Being fit and maintaining hygiene is the way forward(has always been). Vaccines have a limited role for the whole population in general but for a particular set of people, they play a critical role and no one really knows who all are included in that particular set due to lack of seriousness of govts worldwide to invest in people.
This isn't the first pandemic and it won't be the last. The faster they(viruses) spread, the less lethal they are for the host. This is a part of the game called EVOLUTION.
Tucker48 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 17th April 2021, 17:56   #4541
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker48 View Post
Covid is here to stay forever and this has been stated by experts from the beginning.
Just like people in cold countries take a flu vaccine every year, COVID vaccine also could be taken every year & then people can live normal lives. Close 50% of US population takes a flu vaccine every year - likewise many other countries.

Another thing is that the SARS-CoV-2 virus mutates with half the speed of the flu virus.

Last edited by carboy : 17th April 2021 at 17:58.
carboy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th April 2021, 18:18   #4542
BHPian

My neighbour, a health worker in a government hospital has got infected with Covid 2019. She had got her first dose of Covishield on around 25th January and second shot was given to her in late February. Even after taking two shots of vaccine and completing adequate time for the development of immune response, she has been hit by Covid. She has developed moderate symptoms including some lung infection. Many of her colleagues have also got infected even after taking vaccine.
Udit is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th April 2021, 18:41   #4543
Distinguished - BHPian

It is not uncommon for a health worker who is exposed to so many patients each day to turn positive with Covid19 after taking both the vaccinations. I see this quite often in the three hospitals I work with. This post-vaccination infection is real but mild and short. At least that is what I have observed several times i.e. a few dozens of times. We should not assume that taking the vaccination is a 100% insurance nor should we assume the vaccine isn't efficacious simply because some percentage (we don't know how much - my guess is 10%, but it is a guesstimate based on a small sample) fall ill even after the vaccine. We should also look at the majority who do not fall ill after the vaccination shots are taken.
V.Narayan is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 17th April 2021, 19:15   #4544
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonHyd View Post
What should I be doing to protect myself without much expenditure?
Is it possible for you to borrow a bike or car from a friend/relative for your commute? If yes, please do that instead of using public transport.

If that is not an option, try and grab a window seat (with windows open) and do double masking with good quality surgical masks.

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor or an epidemiological expert, so please do your own due diligence.
comfortablynumb is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th April 2021, 19:32   #4545
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
We should not assume that taking the vaccination is a 100% insurance nor should we assume the vaccine isn't efficacious simply because some percentage (we don't know how much - my guess is 10%, but it is a guesstimate based on a small sample) fall ill even after the vaccine. We should also look at the majority who do not fall ill after the vaccination shots are taken.
Here is a video explaining covid vaccine efficacy meaningfully and why efficacy is not important at all for the current scenario.

No wonder Pfizer refused to hold trials in India as that might have brought down their efficacy rates.
Tucker48 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks