Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2021, 16:28   #5146
BHPian

Pune doctors save visions of 5 patients affected by Covid-triggered mucormycosis.
https://indianexpress.com/article/ci...pital-7304286/

I have first hand reports from treating ENT, Max-Fax, and plastic surgeons in Pune who have been seeing this (otherwise rare) condition, with increasing frequency over the past 3 months. Steroids are like nuclear energy - power to heal and yet limitless power to complicate and destroy. So the more reason to apply more caution in their use. Especially the diabetes + iv steroid combo is highly fraught with such drug induced complications. Do not pressurise your treating doctor on steroids - as happened with Remdesivir, they will most likely do so, but you will be left to face such debilitating complications.

The Indian way of unscientific medicine - from unnecessary tests to unproven and even potentially hazardous treatments - not to mention additional costs and waste of resources. This is particularly sad to see when ample evidence on these issues exists everywhere in the world. I guess it's our mindset to only adopt and follow that which "suits our convenience". I wouldn't be surprised to see an emergence of new drug related complications, antibiotic resistant infections, reactivation of latent TB, flare-ups of pre existing immune disorders, to mention a few.
The reason? Psychological! DABDA - read in the article below.

Lack of Definitive COVID-19 Treatment Guidelines Is Leading To Chaotic Medicine.
https://science.thewire.in/health/la...otic-medicine/

Last edited by GTO : 11th May 2021 at 08:03. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Zen2001 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th May 2021, 17:30   #5147
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Covid-19 Vaccine | Registration & Experiences

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian2003 View Post
If people must pay for vaccines what about people who cannot afford it? Is there someting in place to vaccinate poor people?
Are these vaccinations conducted by the government hospitals or private companies?
There is the private hospitals( where the recipients pay for it ) and the govt. hospitals and primary health centres where anyone can get it for free.

The biggest problem currently is availability.
m8002? is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2021, 20:21   #5148
BHPian

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

A breath test to detect Corona in 45 seconds? Reliance signs deal with Israel firm. Move over RT PCR tests and CT scans

Quote:
Preliminary results from clinical trials it is conducting with Israeli hospitals Hadassah Medical Center and the Sheba Medical Center at Tel HaShomer have shown a success rate of 98 per cent compared to the standard PCR test authorised by global medical organisations.

Link

Another link

Last edited by AltoLXI : 6th May 2021 at 20:23.
Old 6th May 2021, 20:24   #5149
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen2001 View Post
The Indian way of unscientific medicine - from unnecessary tests to unproven and even potentially hazardous treatments - not to mention additional costs and waste of resources. This is particularly sad to see when ample evidence on these issues exists everywhere in the world. I guess it's our mindset to only adopt and follow that which "suits our convenience". I wouldn't be surprised to see an emergence of new drug related complications, antibiotic resistant infections, reactivation of latent TB, flare-ups of pre existing immune disorders, to mention a few.
The reason? Psychological! DABDA - read in the article below.

Lack of Definitive COVID-19 Treatment Guidelines Is Leading To Chaotic Medicine.
https://science.thewire.in/health/la...otic-medicine/
One thing I wish to add here, or lend perspective to, is the perception v/s fact gap about judges and doctors.

Perception : Judges and doctors are people who have god-like control over a person's life/fate. Hence, the best possible, most knowledgible human beings are the ones who get to become judges and doctors.

Fact : Like any other profession, capability ranges from "idiot" to "genius" within these two professions as well. There are more checks and balances woven into both these professions, much more than other professions, to counter against subjective decision making error, purely because the stakes are far higher than any other job. That doesn't mean people in these professions won't make mistakes. Idiots and overconfident fools (who don't know what-they-dont-know) will sometimes make the same mistakes that people of such ilk make, in so many other professions. It's "believed" that the % of idiots and fools are lesser in these two professions, compared to others. But there is no way a layman can "evaluate" a professional, much more so, in case of judges and doctors.
venkyhere is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 6th May 2021, 21:18   #5150

Hello,

Just watched this video of the swine-flu pandemic which happened in the US in the 1970's and it seems so eerily similar to the pandemic of our times!

Things like respiratory problems, consented vaccination drives, case reporting worldwide except there is one vaccination related injury. The full video link for 16 minutes is in the comments section. Since flu and COVID-19 being related, sharing the same for the sake of information.

Rodo_Faita is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th May 2021, 23:52   #5151
BHPian

Digital divide in India shows up again as techies game Co-WIN to book slots. So much for equitable become distribution in India. A highly myopic step by the GoI, especially when it is aware of the level of digital literacy, internet availability, smartphone/computer penetrance at a pan India level. Yet another example of looking after the privileged while leaving the underprivileged (those who don't/can't understand the use of computers/internet beyond that of WhatsApp!) to fend for themselves.

https://www.thenewsminute.com/articl...k-slots-148397
Zen2001 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 7th May 2021, 08:55   #5152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Here's a question about inhalation. I'm sure that many of us are used to adding decongestant stuff for inhalation, like those small green capsules (karvol, I think) from the pharmacy. They have often worked wonders for me. But my instinct is that, in the case of a viral infection of the chest, they could cause severe irritation. Am I right? Should be warned against them?
We do it as soon as we go outside and return home. Even if it is merely till the main gate of our complex and back. For five minutes, just plain steam, nothing added. And while doing it, expose the entire face and neck to the steam too. Bought a steamer from Apollo for Rs 400. It throws steam pointedly at the nose for about two feet distance, we can inhale conveniently by moving our head forward or back.

It can even be used to clean grills/mesh etc by directing steam on them! I have used it on pedestal fan grill and window mesh, am wondering if I can try on Ac too!
Attached Thumbnails
The Coronavirus Thread-steam.jpg  

Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2021, 10:36   #5153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
Just curious, were all 400 residents tested? Or was it that 25 people were symptomatic and were tested to be Covid positive?
About 200 turned up, random - with symptoms and without, and participation was voluntary.

Interesting find - We have a few marathon runners in our complex. Two of them turned up +. They re tested the very next day - came up negative. We can speculate.
vinu_h is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2021, 12:54   #5154
BHPian

Anyone heard of Reliance stepping into the Covid testing domain with Israeli technology?

Here it is!

https://www.livemint.com/companies/n...276577381.html

But then, do they want the real numbers to come out???

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 7th May 2021 at 12:55.
lapis_lazuli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2021, 14:50   #5155
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
... Bought a steamer from Apollo for Rs 400.
Yes, we have had something like that in the house for ages, and I do use it, with those karvol capsules, for congested chest, sinus, etc. I wonder why I never saw anything like this in my mother country? As far as I can make out, it is the most basic of bare-metal elements, on mains electricity. I'm sure they are potentially lethal! But yes, I still use one. Nothing will happen
Old 7th May 2021, 15:13   #5156
BHPian

Hi,
Requesting fellow bhpians in Chennai to be cautious, things are going beyond what could be handled. The problems faced by people in NCR is happening on a smaller scale at this moment and it's going to be touch and go for another week or two. Stay safe.
drrajasaravanan is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 7th May 2021, 15:19   #5157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
Anyone heard of Reliance stepping into the Covid testing domain with Israeli technology?

Here it is!

https://www.livemint.com/companies/n...276577381.html

But then, do they want the real numbers to come out???
This seems to be a continuous stream of income / cash flow business. I know Tata was also trying out the same (with a 15min test). So basically the way you have metal detectors at all important places, you may have these test kiosks. You pass (test -ve) the test, you can go in and get your work done. Else go back home

This is because there is a belief that Corona related viruses will stay on for years, if not decades, and stay potent enough to warrant a continuous monitoring mechanism.

Last edited by sunilch : 7th May 2021 at 15:28.
sunilch is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th May 2021, 16:12   #5158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Yes, we have had something like that in the house for ages, and I do use it, with those karvol capsules, for congested chest, sinus, etc. I wonder why I never saw anything like this in my mother country? As far as I can make out, it is the most basic of bare-metal elements, on mains electricity. I'm sure they are potentially lethal! But yes, I still use one. Nothing will happen
It is not lethal! I even hold it in my hand while using it. Made entirely out of plastic, cuts off if water level is low. Needs just ten seconds to start throwing steam!

I never touch those capsules. We are actually supposed to cut the capsule and put in only a couple of drops, but even then I find them too pungent. If absolutely required, I put in a little bit of Vicks nasal rub ointment. But in that case I use a bowl of hot water and a towel to cover my head and face, I don't use it in the machine.

Last edited by Gansan : 7th May 2021 at 16:13.
Gansan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th May 2021, 16:24   #5159
BHPian

Quote:
We do it as soon as we go outside and return home. Even if it is merely till the main gate of our complex and back. For five minutes, just plain steam, nothing added. And while doing it, expose the entire face and neck to the steam too. Bought a steamer from Apollo for Rs 400. It throws steam pointedly at the nose for about two feet distance, we can inhale conveniently by moving our head forward or back.

It can even be used to clean grills/mesh etc by directing steam on them! I have used it on pedestal fan grill and window mesh, am wondering if I can try on Ac too!
It is more effective when you cover your head, neck and the inhaler under a thick blanket while doing it.
Old 7th May 2021, 17:37   #5160
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It is not lethal! I even hold it in my hand while using it. Made entirely out of plastic, cuts off if water level is low. Needs just ten seconds to start throwing steam!
Sure: we're alive too But I wouldn't like to touch the heating elements when turned on.

Quote:
I never touch those capsules. We are actually supposed to cut the capsule and put in only a couple of drops, but even then I find them too pungent.
They are actually really good. We even keep a special tiny pair of scissors for opening them. You don't have to use a whole capsule, although it would be difficult to keep the leftover amount.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotoguru View Post
It is more effective when you cover your head, neck and the inhaler under a thick blanket while doing it.
My wife had some herbal recipe to inhale. It was in a bucket. She developed a method of covering her head and the bucket with an umbrella! It sounds silly, it looked silly: but sometimes silly things work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrajasaravanan
Requesting fellow bhpians in Chennai to be cautious
Thanks Doc. Have gone back to isolation. So glad to have got two vaccine doses before it all turned into a mess, but wondering how to safely get second dose for wife.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed