Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2021, 00:46   #5296
BHPian

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Does the Sputnik vaccine not require only one dose to be administered? I remember reading that somewhere.
Sputnik V is a viral vector vaccine just like AstraZeneca's vaccine (marketed as Covishield in India). But unlike any other Covid-19 vaccine, Sputnik V has a regime in which both doses of the vaccine are different from one another.

The two doses use different vectors to target the spike protein of the SARS-CoV-2, the coronavirus that causes Covid-19. In nature, the two doses of Sputnik V are slightly different versions of the same vaccine and are aimed at providing longer protection against Covid-19. The first vaccination leads to humoral cellular immunity, and once a second vaccination is administered, memory cells are formed.

Sputnik V is a two-component vaccine in which adenovirus serotypes 5 and 26 are used - a different vector for each of the two shots in a course of vaccination. This provides immunity with a longer duration than vaccines using the same delivery mechanism for both shots, according to the Russian Direct Investment Fund (RDIF). A fragment of tissue-type plasminogen activator is not used, and the antigen insert is an unmodified full-length S-protein.

The single dose Russian vaccine you are probably referring to is Sputnik Light - it is the first component (recombinant human adenovirus serotype number 26 (rAd26)) of Sputnik V, with a trial efficacy of 79.4% vs 91.6% for the Sputnik V.
Zen2001 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 14th May 2021, 09:45   #5297
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrajasaravanan View Post
The answers for your questions
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
If you are asymptomatic at present , there is a very less chance that you are a carrier to others. Since masks and sanitization has become a norm now, worry less about being a carrier especially when you have recovered and have no symptoms now whatsoever.
Thanks Docs! Just a followup question to reconfirm, as test-drives are expected to start soon.

I currently have antibodies, but lets say hypothetically on 1st June, the driver of the TD car I meet has Covid and he passes it on to me. While my antibodies will protect me, will I still carry the virus back to my family members?

Simply put, if I go out today (with the antibodies in me) and meet someone with Covid, can I still carry the virus back to my family members?

Thank you so much .
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2021, 09:59   #5298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Simply put, if I go out today (with the antibodies in me) and meet someone with Covid, can I still carry the virus back to my family members?

Thank you so much .
I would think yes, you can still be a carrier. I am leading my life with that conviction, and even though I have recovered a month and a half back, I consider myself a carrier for other family members in situations where I am likely to be exposed. Trying to be as cautious as possible in these situations. Also, antibodies will only have limited utility - these are not universal in the sense they would completely guard against all strains of the virus. Unfortunately, the threat of re-infection is very very real (with plenty of examples around), though slightly reduced in a person who has recovered.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 14th May 2021 at 10:04.
arindambasu13 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th May 2021, 10:15   #5299
Distinguished - BHPian

Some serious talent being lost to COVID-19 :-(

Mohan Kumar, Head Of Michelin India Passes Away
https://www.carandbike.com/news/moha...home-ndtv_auto

The Man Behind “Made In India Robots”, Milagrow Founder Rajeev Karwal Loses Battle Against Covid
https://inc42.com/buzz/the-man-behin...against-covid/
itwasntme is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th May 2021, 10:53   #5300
BHPian

Quote:
The Man Behind “Made In India Robots”, Milagrow Founder Rajeev Karwal Loses Battle Against Covid
https://inc42.com/buzz/the-man-behin...against-covid/

Brilliant marketing mind and a true leader!

I was taught ONIDA success story during my MBA and it was a dream come true to be interviewed and hired by him much later.

He was also the man behind very famous: Neighbors Envy, Owners Pride!
Gsynch is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th May 2021, 10:57   #5301
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to Dhanush for sending this in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Quote:
I am a regular visitor of Team-BHP and check the updates on the site almost thrice daily. Recently, the Coronavirus thread got my attention for the suggestions and advice being posted by doctors in the group. This is actually a question to those doctors on whether they have noted a spike in cases related to strokes being reported in patients who have taken atleast one round of the covid vaccine. The reason why I am asking is because my aunt and brother (both are past the age of 50) have suffered strokes, the only common factor being both were diabetic and had been vaccinated recently. I do not wish create a panic with the above question but would like to know if the doctors have observed any such trend amongst patients recently.

Last edited by GTO : 14th May 2021 at 14:21.
Old 14th May 2021, 12:35   #5302
Distinguished - BHPian

In passing...

On the linguistic front, I notice that covid has given us the word vaxxed instead of vaccinated.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 14th May 2021, 12:40   #5303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
On the linguistic front, I notice that covid has given us the word vaxxed instead of vaccinated.
Some find these shortenings rather vexing.
McLaren Rulez is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 14th May 2021, 13:02   #5304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
In passing...

Actually, there was already a documentary in 2016, way before Covid:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaxxed
PearlJam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2021, 14:04   #5305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Hi,
If you are strict with COVID appropriate behaviour and get exposed to COVID positive person it's highly likely that you will be a asymptomatic carrier and can spread to your family. Basic N95, face shield, distancing will go a long way in ensuring it does not happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post
Thanks to Dhanush for sending this in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!
Hi,
This is of concern and needs more attention. In the last one month we had admitted post COVID vaccine strokes and heart attacks in our ICU. None of them had a major impact and all of them recovered with mild restrictions to their basal quality of life. Most of them needed stenting for their heart and blood thinners for their brain stroke. All of them had underlying medical conditions. Having said that, this subgroup reached hospital for optimal care, I don't know of people who did not have access to medical help.
drrajasaravanan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th May 2021, 14:24   #5306
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

in other words, we are still grappling to find out what other systems other than pulmonary, the coronavirus is damaging, before it makes an exit. Have we atleast seen the tip of this iceberg, doctors ?
Old 14th May 2021, 14:33   #5307
Senior - BHPian

An alternate perspective on treating COVID-19, as opposed to the national template-based protocol treatment. Dr. Shankara Chetty has so far has treated 4000 covid cases, all through clinical diagnosis. All have recovered, no deaths and none required oxygen. Remarkable considering he has handled 1st & 2nd waves, including the South African strain.

His explanation on the use of Ivermectin is interesting. Long video but can jump to chapters.

Source: https://twitter.com/leofsaldanha/sta...98944691175425

Last edited by msdivy : 14th May 2021 at 14:37.
Old 14th May 2021, 15:11   #5308
Senior - BHPian

A small query to the doctor's here.

Is it safe to go out for solo runs/ bicycling? Considering these are intensive exercises, with heavy breathing, what kind of mask should I wear, considering I would only be passing by people without any interaction( I try to pass them while holding my breath).
Old 14th May 2021, 15:20   #5309
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Is it safe to go out for solo runs/ bicycling?
Am obviously not a doctor, and I'm very interested in hearing what the docs here say too. But going by what quite a few docs have been saying, the risk of catching something while exercising individually outdoors is minimal.

Personally, I'd say the health benefits and avoiding going completely nuts sitting indoors by going out for a run is worth whatever 0.000x percentage risk there is of getting covid while exercising outdoors!

I'd say the bigger risk of exercising outdoors these days is being harassed by the cops, who will then proceed to spend enough time talking to you and increasing the risk of getting covid from them (and vice-versa, of course) or of being harassed by whatever vigilante committee that takes it upon themselves to impose restrictions on others without even a basic understanding of the science of transmission (eg: let's close public parks but allow indoor weddings!)

Last edited by am1m : 14th May 2021 at 15:22.
am1m is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th May 2021, 15:28   #5310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
A small query to the doctor's here.

Is it safe to go out for solo runs/ bicycling? Considering these are intensive exercises, with heavy breathing, what kind of mask should I wear, considering I would only be passing by people without any interaction( I try to pass them while holding my breath).
Hi,
Getting infected in open spaces is less likely. I see you are from Chennai and the current scenario is not encouraging. If you can hold for another week or two we should hit plateau. But, your mental health is equally important and if you have too go ahead and follow COVID appropriate behaviour. Use N95 when you are not able to distance yourself from others but that would restrict your efficiency of workout. Better to be safe.
drrajasaravanan is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks