Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2022, 13:24   #5956
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Re: The Coronavirus Thread

A woman is either pregnant or not pregnant.
There is no "little bit pregnant" or "mostly pregnant".

But the half-curfews, half-restrictions, not more than 5 people (what if there are 4?), weekend ban but weekday ok, show-papers Stalinist Russia style border checkposts etc is exactly like "a bit pregnant, but not fully".

Either lock us down completely or let us free. Absolutely no difference is going to be made by (media-pleasing + leadership's ego massaging) nonsense measures.

Last edited by venkyhere : 9th January 2022 at 13:26.
venkyhere is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 9th January 2022, 13:45   #5957
Senior - BHPian

Two people in two different households of our complex have caught the bug; one is a 90 year old male, the other a 21 year old male. Both have mild symptoms, both are advised home isolation for a week. SPO2 good for both, but they have advised to keep oxygen suppport as standby for the old man, just in case. No idea if it is Omicron or not.

The old man and his wife (85) never go out anywhere, don't have servant maid either. Their daughter who lives nearby visits from time to time to replenish their supplies. No plumber or electrician visited them in recent times. He gets and reads newspaper though. Must have got it from the paper or from his daughter/grandchildren. The 21 year old fellow visited the beach with a few buddies a week ago, after a very long time. He ensured to keep only to open spaces, but still was unlucky.

Everyone in the complex except my mom are vaccinated though. She is 81 and has very very limited mobility. Municipal people took a door to door survey of such people a few months ago and said home vaccination will be arranged for them. But no idea when.
Old 9th January 2022, 16:12   #5958
Distinguished - BHPian

People have different definitions of going out!

Back in the bad old days of 2020, someone I know came from USA to spend some time with her family. She caught covid. A mutual friend told me that she said, "I don't know how: I haven't been anywhere!"

Ahem. I only knew she was here because she posted a pic of herself taking a walk on Marina Beach! She may not have visited any other family, gone to any function, done any shopping, etc, etc, but, even though it would not have been far from her family home, she certainly did go somewhere!

Leaves me wondering how many covid catchers who never go out, never go anywhere, actually don't venture beyond their door! How many of those who, for instance, live in apartments, never visit the open space, never use the stairs or lift?

As to night/Sunday curfews/lockdowns, our Tamil top doc at WHO has said that they have no basis in science. My "common sense" tells me that, yes, but they do lessen interaction, and if you do that, then you lessen the virus's chance --- but "common sense" is not science. And when the same people are going out to work, commuting, shopping etc, I'm willing to tell my common sense that it needs some retuning!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 9th January 2022, 18:37   #5959
Senior - BHPian

Me and my family (wife and 13-year old daughter) have tested Covid-positive recently. Just sharing my experience here.. let me know if you have any more questions.

Day 1 - fever around 100-101, body pains, some chills

Day 2 - similar symptoms, slightly less fever, gave sample for testing.

Day 3 - mild fever (99), slight throat and ear pain, little runny nose and congestion, body pains reduced. Got the report which confirmed that I am Covid-positive. Actually, till that time, I was still working, though at a reduced productivity and I got the report bang in the middle of an important meeting. Isolated myself, but it was already late. Wife and daughter started developing symptoms, gave their sample for testing.

Day 4: no fever, no body pains, but throat pain became worse. Wife and daughter tested positive, started having fever

Day 5: extremely severe throat pain, can't swallow, can't talk. Absolutely, the worst throat pain I had in my life. Wife and daughter continued having moderate fever (100-101)

Day 6(today): throat pain finally reduced a lot, no other symptoms apart from general tiredness. Wife and daughter also recovering, their fever has become milder

All throughout the last few days, the SPO2 levels didn't drop. And fortunately, none of us have had serious coughing or any severe symptoms. The only medication needed has been paracetamol, apart from some multivitamins, gargling with salt water etc. Other than the terrible throat pain, it seemed like a normal flu as the fever didn't go very high or lasted for more than 2-3 days. I would advise drinking lots of fluid as it helps to also reduce the throat pain.

However, this is extremely contagious. So, stay safe and if any family member develops any flu-like symptoms, better to isolate ASAP.
adimicra is offline   (49) Thanks
Old 9th January 2022, 18:50   #5960
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post

Absolutely no difference is going to be made by nonsense measures.
You're forgetting something. It fills in state coffers, and shows the police and government cares and does for you.
They need something to fill in revenue which they're losing from daily fuel price revisions.
batish is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th January 2022, 22:56   #5961
BHPian

After having shielded myself successfully through the first two waves of this awful pandemic, my luck finally ran out. Diagnosed COVID positive in this ongoing third wave. Had been taking all requisite precautions, but seems this Omicron is one sneaky brat.

Symptoms:
Throat irritation, runny nose, dry cough, fever in 101-101.5 range, headache, body ache, drowsiness, tiredness.

Medication:
Paracetamol, Multi-vitamins, Betadine gargling, Green Tea, Warm water with honey, Steam, Amrutanjan Balm.

Monitoring SPo2 and BP levels intermittently just to keep track.

Last edited by IamNikhil : 9th January 2022 at 22:57.
IamNikhil is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 10th January 2022, 04:24   #5962
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Coronavirus (COVID-19): managing stress and anxiety

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Almost everybody here is getting reinfected and at speeds much faster than previously. You should tell them to be prepared with the possibilities of getting quarantined in worst case.
+1

I was preparing them for the worst. The kids of our tenants have now tested positive and my dad's having fever but not other COVID-19 symptoms. Dad has isolated himself just to be safe. It seems like a case of, "when one will be infected" and not, "how not to get infected".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I won’t be surprised if the International Air travels is halted by Australia once again in coming days.
Yes. Travel bubbles and Vaccinated Travel Lines are/could be cancelled at short notice.

In two years so much has changed and yet so much hasn't changed.
kiku007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2022, 10:01   #5963
BHPian

Do we actually see a trend of increasing cases because of these intermittent night and weekend curfews? My reason would be because of these restrictions, people tend to get bunched up in shopping stores and markets since all need to be home before the curfew timings (10pm in case of Bangalore).
An example I saw of this was last week, Thursday, when I thought of visiting a huge departmental store near my place for some stuff. It was probably the first time I had to wait to get parking there on a weekday evening. I entered the store and immediately walked out seeing the density of people in there and total disregard for social distancing and mask norms. Would it be more prudent to perhaps allow 24*7 opening of the stores etc to avoid such a situation? People aren't absolute idiots who will loiter the roads at 2am just because they can. We did not do that back in 2019 either.
ShreyG is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th January 2022, 10:44   #5964
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
People have different definitions of going out!
You said it! All of us also have HUGE blind spots when it comes to family and activities we want to do. I've heard these "I never went anywhere, how did I get covid?!" stories right from the start and that is never the case!

Was at a surreal visit the other day. Family of 4 and their brother-in-law dropped in to an elderly relative's place where I also happened to be. Everyone wore masks, but of course during the course of snacks, masks were going up and down. Conversation turned to how irresponsible people were generally, not wearing masks. Interestingly, it turned out that the brother-in-law...hadn't been vaccinated! And why not? "Just like that!" (That was the actual answer!) Amazing chutzpah - denouncing other people for not wearing masks while not being vaccinated!
am1m is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 10th January 2022, 12:24   #5965
BHPian

We are now seeing a lot of people getting re-infected! Atleast three people in my office who had gotten Covid in the first two waves have tested positive again. No idea if its Omicron variant or not. And they had been attending office regularly, no visible symptoms. But on asking one of them did reveal that they had fever.
Its funny how some people are most willing to work exactly when they are sick.
aan nhu mare? is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2022, 13:06   #5966
Team-BHP Support

Which is the best state-wise covid-19 tracking website these days?

I was using https://www.covid19india.org until last year. But they stopped updating it after Oct 2021.
Old 10th January 2022, 13:10   #5967
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

I was using https://www.covid19india.org until last year. But they stopped updating it after Oct 2021.
I have shifted to this one: https://covid19tracker.in/
SupratikDebnath is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th January 2022, 13:14   #5968
Distinguished - BHPian

I got reinfected few days back. I only had cough and nasal stuffiness for 1 day. No fever at all. Fully recovered now

August 2020: Covid positive
Feb / March 2021: Covishield 2 doses
Jan 2022: Covid positive (reinfection)

Covid was very mild both the times for me. The virus is widespread and the current wave is mild. Do not panic. Do reach out to your physician if there are any alarming symptoms.
Dr.Naren is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 10th January 2022, 14:22   #5969
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
I got reinfected few days back. I only had cough and nasal stuffiness for 1 day. No fever at all. Fully recovered now

August 2020: Covid positive
Feb / March 2021: Covishield 2 doses
Jan 2022: Covid positive (reinfection)

Covid was very mild both the times for me. The virus is widespread and the current wave is mild. Do not panic. Do reach out to your physician if there are any alarming symptoms.
I got reinfected few days back as well, was first time infected in May 2021.

For first time infection: I wasn't vaccinated that time. Had fever above 103 for a day and then 101 for one more day. Severe body aches for 3 days and then for next 7-8 days felt minor aches. Felt lethargic for over 2 weeks. No cough cold or throat problem but lost smell which came back slightly after 15 days but for month I guess it was just 20-30% of actual sensitivity. Gradually it become normal.

July 2021 I got 1st vaccine shot, felt all the thing I felt with 1st time infection except losing smell and all the symptoms lasted for just 2 days.

October 2021 I got 2nd vaccine shot, no symptom what so ever.

Jan 2022: I am reinfected. Had mild fever for 2 days. Congested nose, slight throat burning and slight body aches since last 5 days. Can't judge about smelling, sometime obvious smells don't come, some time can smell something unobvious things.
n33rav is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th January 2022, 15:54   #5970
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

https://covid19bharat.org/. It is very similar to the one you mentioned
vinodh_eee is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks