Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2022, 14:42   #6016
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

I tested positive a few days ago. Thankfully, its only a mild infection so I'm doing fine. My work requires me to be at the office and in both the first and second wave, I was always using a N95 mask whenever I stepped out but changed to a surgical mask once I got fully vaccinated in August.

I dined out on 6th Jan and the first symptom was a sore throat the following day. I brushed it off thinking it might be the ice cream but later I developed fever, runny nose and cough too which is when I got tested and started with medicines.

Fever and runny nose was gone in a day or two but cough persisted for 3 days, with day 1 and 2 being really bad where I barely got any sleep due to intense cough.

At the time of testing they asked for vaccination certificate and noted down the dates both doses were administered and whether it was Covaxin or Covishield. I got a few calls from BBMP doctors and automated calls to record symptoms on a daily basis, perhaps BBMP has now thankfully stopped sealing homes with covid patients.
shashank.nk is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th January 2022, 14:53   #6017
Distinguished - BHPian

I tested positive this Monday, 16th Jan after experiencing running nose and a heavy head. It progressed to a stuffy nose and mild uneasiness the next day. Yesterday ie 19th Jan those issues went away and as of today I have a cracky throat without any soreness and a very light dry cough once two hours or so. My mum developed Fever yesterday and today she is doing fine without any other symptoms except for the rare cough. Got some good advise from a doctor and it worked well without having to take too many medications.

I was vaccinated with Pfizer in July last year and my mother Covaxin. Dad has not yet developed symptoms so far. My entire circle as of now is infected or has recently been infected irrespective of age or activities even though we havent met each other. At least in Bengaluru its all over the place as of now. But to be honest, I dont think anyone in the household has really been so careful in the recent months, except from wearing a mask in crowded places/shops etc. I know many who havent ventured out much even now and still have got infected.

Last edited by audioholic : 20th January 2022 at 14:58.
audioholic is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th January 2022, 16:37   #6018
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I know many who havent ventured out much even now and still have got infected.
Any wild guess on where you could have got exposed and got infected? Just to know so that we can be watchful of such situations if at all.
Old 20th January 2022, 17:11   #6019
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Any wild guess on where you could have got exposed and got infected? Just to know so that we can be watchful of such situations if at all.
No idea my friend. The sort of travelling and regular activities me as well as everyone in my household have been doing, I can give hundreds of possibilities. The previous Friday, me and my friend went on a used car hunt and spent the whole afternoon in various dealerships(mask used from entry to exit of dealership as well as test drive) followed by a late afternoon lunch. However the friend is completely fine so far. On Saturday which was the weekend curfew, I went out for a 2km run(without mask). Over the last week, as far as I remember I have visited a few restaurants and shops as well.

Most of my mums colleagues have got the virus in the last two weeks and theirs being a PSU, not much of a scope for WFH. Same case with my dad though they have a mandate against physical meetings at work. We have two maids who visit us daily and a driver to ferry mum to work. Hence there is no way we can point out where exactly there was a problem. But after a lot of doubts earlier if I have caught the virus already or not along with two anti-body tests, last one last week I have got infected finally.

Some of my relatives have ventured out far lesser, but have got infected from visits to doctor or with people visiting them.

The other wierd thing is my dad had antibodies whereas me nor my mum had it even though we live together and have been travelling together. Should see how the antibody scene changes in a few weeks from now.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th January 2022, 17:21   #6020
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naetik30 View Post
This is a great automotive portal. Let's not claim to be medical experts. Even if you are a medical doctor, you know very well not to provide blanket opinions on a web forum.
I appreciate your point of view. The thread used to be moderated to remove the more extreme posts which featured (often innocently, quoting stuff seen) serious misinformation.

People will believe what they want to. This covid time is unique, probably even to the eldest here, in our lifetimes. We have never lived with so much uncertainty. And we haven't had a major world-scale health threat accompanied by anything like the internet, which is the most wonderful resource for all, but also features major sites that seem biased towards misinformation.

I'd disagree with your request to close the thread. If any member's posts seem to merit it, do report them to the moderators, who can decide if any specific action should be taken.

This thread has...
-- Useful personal experience. The extent of covid, among us, is a useful indicator in itself. It's much more real than numbers in the news.
-- Useful medical advice, reports and experience.
-- Challenges to the status quo which can be worthwhile.
-- Misguided opinion and misinformation. We have to make up our own minds about it.
Relative isolation is a part of this covid experience for many of us. We need the information here. Even my wife sometimes challenges with such questions as "OK, how many people do you know who have [had] covid? How many deaths?" This thread allows me to answer for one community of which I am part.

Last edited by vb-saan : 21st January 2022 at 05:56. Reason: Quoted post edited
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 20th January 2022, 19:03   #6021
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
People will believe what they want to.
An interesting example of the same.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-60050996
Attached Thumbnails
The Coronavirus Thread-covid-hana-horka-antivaccine.jpg  

Old 20th January 2022, 21:07   #6022
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
An interesting example of the same.
I read the same story in The Guardian. Very sad.

She went out of her way to catch the thing. I wonder how many of us, especially since omicron, are beginning to think, what the heck, inevitable one day anyway.

No, I'm not giving in to that thought. I'm keeping the mask on.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2022, 21:22   #6023
BHPian

Boris Johnson says covid has peaked, no more restrictions including wearing masks!

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/bet...es-2022-01-19/
Old 20th January 2022, 21:29   #6024

Re: Omicron - Cause of concern?

Pin this where everybody can see.
We have very short memory.
When I get complacent, I go back and read it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
Sir,

I agree with you. We should not live in fear but we should not be careless too. This thing is real. I lost my father to second wave and my father’s younger brother to first wave. I was with my father in the hospital for 5 days and what I saw there can not be described in words. It was a 25 bed space and there were two three dead bodies everyday which translates to a death rate > 10% and it included young old everyone. The medical staff simply stopped attending to patients. Only person entering the ward was two ward boys who had the responsibility of changing the oxygen cylinders. I have helped people carrying their dead simply because there were only two young ward boys for everything including this job and they couldn’t handle heavy bodies. The oxygen cylinders were switched off at night when patients were asleep. By the time patient would realise and would call someone home and the relative would reach hospital 3-4 hours would be gone. The hospital staff would do nothing when condition of a patient deteriorates. Once the patient is dead they would ask the relative if they are sure patient is no more but would not enter the ward to confirm or provide medical assistance. There were dead bodies lying for hours in the ward between the patients. My dad’s body was lying for 7 hours while I was standing in the long queue of covid test since I noticed my oxygen level went down. I received a call from a friend and I informed my dad was no more. Everyone around just started moving away but none of them offered me to get the test first. I was sitting in the dust on the hospital ground. I am someone who just can’t tolerate a pinch of dust on me. I never walk without slippers I just hate soil, sand dust and there I was sitting on the soil barely able to breathe while my dad’s body was lying on the hospital bed waiting for an ambulance to take him to crematorium. So yes we can’t live in fear but a slightest mistake can shake our whole world.
white-power is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th January 2022, 21:31   #6025
BHPian

Since the beginning of this thing another problem I've had and I'm pretty sure atleast some other motorists might have encountered is the foggy glasses issue.

I usually commute on a motorcycle. I had an antifog visor on my helmet already, but the mask was fogging up my spectacles, so I changed that to an antifog one too, but still there are heavy traffic situations where it does fog up. It has even led to some rather sticky situations where I had to grab the glasses quickly and ride one handed.

Any solutions?
Old 20th January 2022, 22:10   #6026
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertLynx34 View Post
Any solutions?
I usually have the mask wrapped around my neck when I am riding my bike. I use a full face helmet and its a snug fit.

If the police is a lil crazy about this mask even when riding rule, maybe replace the mask with a buff. The buff will give absolutely no protection from any virus but will satisfy the helmet and nose cover.

I am strictly pro-masking in public. No exceptions but a helmet is a very good face shield and it makes no sense to wear a mask inside it.
bblost is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2022, 23:02   #6027
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Since the beginning of this thing another problem
I usually commute on a motorcycle. I had an antifog visor on my helmet already, but the mask was fogging up my spectacles, so I changed that to an antifog one too, but still there are heavy traffic situations where it does fog
I would leave the visor slightly open in dense traffic. The visor of my helmet stops just before it locks shut and I prefer leaving it at this position to allow for ventilation. Also try to open the top vents if thats not already done. Ever since I used pinlock anti fog attachment on the visor, neither my spectacles nor the visor has ever fogged up even in cold mornings. Please try anything but risking removing your spectacles in one hand and controlling a bike(geared) in another along with a fogged vision. Perhaps ride with visor open instead of risking this.

By the way, wont a balaclava solve this issue? It would absorb a good amount of the moisture if used along with a mask.

Last edited by audioholic : 20th January 2022 at 23:03.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2022, 23:21   #6028
BHPian

Mixed feelings about this thread after 20 months into this pandemic. Really good to see some members talking in a balanced manner ( remember they are not careless and not being ignorant altogether ). Some still seem to be paranoid as they talk about numbers and living with an expectation that Covid will disappear just like that. I am sure reality will dawn upon them too very soon. Covid will never go, accept this fact. But if it does, well and good, so win-win situation for people who think like me. I have maintained my stand about covid on this thread and also in my everyday practice, so I give as much importance to that disease only as much it deserves. I am totally against unreasonable hospitalisations since day 1, be it any variant with any number of mutations. Glad that I am a contrarian or not a good doctor

Repeated my Antibody test ( antibody to spike protein receptor binding domain ) today and this was the 4th time in last 2 years. I am doing it every 4 months or so and have consistently been positive everytime for antibodies. Today's value was same as the last time i.e >250. The cut off value is <0.80. This means I have high titres. I have not taken my booster shot of vaccine and also, never been symptomatic even once or being absent from work in last 2 years despite attending to covid patients non-stop everyday since day 1, thanks to Almighty's grace and my parents blessings. I only take my regular offs and leaves and go about driving or holidaying.

--Dr. Vivek
vivek95 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 20th January 2022, 23:43   #6029
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

I came in contact with a relative last week. It was a courtesy visit that could not be avoided due to a medical emergency in the family. I was using a pair of masks stacked up and didn't remove the masks during the entire duration of 2+ hours. Late next evening, the relative called to say the family tested positive and asked me to be watchful for symptoms. Luckily all of us at home are fine. I don't know if it's just plain luck or immunity - I'm fully vaccinated, I got my first dose in April last year, tested positive in May (slight cold for a day and loss of smell/taste for almost 3 weeks) and got my second dose in August.

Last edited by NPV : 20th January 2022 at 23:59.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2022, 23:47   #6030
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any solutions?
The generic solution is to wear a mask with a nose-clip/nose bridge/nose pin. Pull the mask all the way up and seal it on the nose. Glasses can be worn over the mask. Helps in most situations. But haven't tried inside a helmet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
No exceptions but a helmet is a very good face shield and it makes no sense to wear a mask inside it.
I don't think a helmet, filters out the particles. For protection, a mask has to be worn inside the helmet.

Last edited by vb-saan : 21st January 2022 at 06:00. Reason: Quoted post edited/deleted
msdivy is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks