Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2022, 04:16   #6121
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

Warning from the man.

The Coronavirus Thread-covid-bill-gates-warning.jpg

Source: Bill Gates warns 'we've NOT seen the worst of Covid': Microsoft billionaire says there is 'way above five percent' risk of pandemic generating more transmissive and 'even more fatal' Coronavirus variant

Last edited by Poitive : 3rd May 2022 at 04:20. Reason: Formatting
Old 3rd May 2022, 08:36   #6122
Senior - BHPian

^^ How does he know? Is he a doctor, microbiologist or what? Is he here with a solution or is he part of the problem?
Gansan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2022, 09:10   #6123
BHPian

I think we in India can be proud that we were among the handful of countries that have already tried to do (unsuccessfully) what China is trying.

China is "experimenting" with absolute lockdown. "Zero Covid":

https://www.ft.com/content/33b7fcb2-...1-d561deaabc5c

Quote:
One government policy adviser, who asked not to be identified, said making Xi understand that his previously successful zero-Covid policy might not withstand the highly contagious Omicron variant without devastating economic costs was now a “key challenge for the system”.

“People are telling Xi the lockdowns are a concern but I don’t think they’re saying how big a concern it really is,” the adviser said. “He’s just so proud of China’s accomplishments fighting Covid that I don’t think he worries about the economy.”

“I don’t think Omicron is going to be contained but this is what the big leader said...
IMHO:
I really doubt that masks, vaccines and lockdowns are really doing anything to reduce the spread of this virus. No matter what we do, this extremely contagious virus will infect, reproduce and spread. It is only our immune system that is keeping this virus from affecting us. Only a rapidly mutating vaccine that keeps priming our immune system continuously is going to stop this virus.
mvadg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2022, 09:31   #6124
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
It is only our immune system that is keeping this virus from affecting us.
While I agree with your general point about the futility of trying to contain a virus like this, especially with lockdowns and mask mandates that sound good in theory but end up being worn around the chin in reality, I will disagree with the point about vaccines. I think there is still a general misunderstanding about what the vaccines are supposed to and have accomplished. From the data and from what doctors working in several global centers treating covid patients and who are in a position to analyze and interpret trends have posted, the vaccines have done their job well. A vaccine is never meant to prevent every single person from getting the virus. They are meant to protect as many people as possible, especially the most vulnerable from the more serious effects of the virus. And I think that has happened. (Of course a lot of that has also been achieved with natural immunity too.)

Either way, I sincerely hope we learn from what is going on in China and don't go back to the colossal stupidity of any form of lockdown again! Especially now that we know so much more about this virus and have so many more tools to fight it, like vaccines.

Last edited by am1m : 3rd May 2022 at 09:34.
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2022, 15:52   #6125
Distinguished - BHPian

There is no doubt that vaccine expectation has been downplayed over and over again. None the less, I am still a fan. The research and production effort has been spectacular. Hopefully covid vaccines, if needed in the future, can get better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Warning from the man.
Ha ha! I accept that he has, to some extent, redeemed himself by his philanthropy, from the days when I detested both his business practices and software. I'm sure also that his philanthropic work in health fields has informed him. But he is not, in any way the man.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 3rd May 2022 at 15:55.
Old 3rd May 2022, 18:13   #6126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
^^ How does he know? Is he a doctor, microbiologist or what? Is he here with a solution or is he part of the problem?
He is the rainmaker for epidemics :-) , remember his TED talk from a few years back, much before the epidemic?

I think the context in which he has said that "the threat is not yet over", is
- he sees a world that is taking its eye off the ball on tackling epidemics
- he sees the need to set up a mechanisms/organizations to tackle epidemics.

And the number he states (>5% probability of a virulent strain), most likely comes from some one in his NGO, and not him personally.
Do note that his NGO has access to the best of experts and data, that had a large influence (if such a large influence is good/bad and the "chill bill" effect is a different debate) in getting the COVID vaccines out quickly.
whitewing is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2022, 18:56   #6127
Senior - BHPian

^^ Possibility of another virulent strain developing is always there for a few more years. All are aware of that. But talking of a "fatal" strain? That means if one catches it he is a goner. That is scare mongering.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 00:09   #6128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Ha ha! I accept that he has, to some extent, redeemed himself by his philanthropy, from the days when I detested both his business practices and software. I'm sure also that his philanthropic work in health fields has informed him. But he is not, in any way the man.
Not too sure about that either. Have read some spectacular stuff about him and his philanthropy, and how it connects to influence and business a longish time ago. IIRC it was fairly well reasoned. Difficult to verify such stuff beyond a point, I admit. I remain unsure of him.

While looking for the aforementioned stuff, which I couldn’t find, I remembered/came across this:

https://m.economictimes.com/industry...w/41280050.cms

and on the British Medical Journal this:
Unmasking GAVI and Big Pharma: Rethinking Vaccine Access
https://www.bmj.com/rapid-response/2...vaccine-access

They are about how tribal girls became a part of a vaccine trial without proper consent, and many suffered major side effects and some died. In India.

Further, by the man, I meant that he isn't the average person saying this. For some he might be the well informed, intelligent and guy; whereas for others he might be playing yet another game as a part of bigger things at work; and for some an uncertain position. There is much info available online to support both sides. One could take their pick. I remain uncertain but leaning a bit towards suspicion.
~~~~~
PS: Am unsure how productive taking this further might be, as it can get like how polarising political discussions often are, and might border on being OT.

Last edited by Poitive : 4th May 2022 at 00:10. Reason: Refinement
Poitive is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 01:06   #6129
Distinguished - BHPian

Fascinating, albeit somewhat sombre, even sinister, reading. Thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
PS: Am unsure how productive taking this further might be, as it can get like how polarising political discussions often are, and might border on being OT.
I'd say it's an interesting aside for two or three posts. Which we just did
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 09:39   #6130
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
While I agree with your general point about the futility of trying to contain a virus like this, especially with lockdowns and mask mandates that sound good in theory but end up being worn around the chin in reality, I will disagree with the point about vaccines. I think there is still a general misunderstanding about what the vaccines are supposed to and have accomplished. From the data and from what doctors working in several global centers treating covid patients and who are in a position to analyze and interpret trends have posted, the vaccines have done their job well. A vaccine is never meant to prevent every single person from getting the virus. They are meant to protect ….
However if thousands get affected by other diseases then it is not a benign item.

We don’t seem to track vaccine injuries in India. But as the same vaccine is used in the UK we can take a look at their report.

https://assets.publishing.service.go...ysis_print.pdf

That report is 131 pages.

I have attached a few relevant pages which explains the heart attacks and other diseases.
Attached Thumbnails
The Coronavirus Thread-970d789f8e8342b7aff6e9a03590321b.png  

The Coronavirus Thread-d5f63bb48be04dcca88c5c935a63a91d.png  

The Coronavirus Thread-255ab82730e145cd8a83cffa158c2545.png  

The Coronavirus Thread-f730e95f5321423ebf7cc49026026541.png  

The Coronavirus Thread-fae6a4f8a4ea4783b76028c1db8816d3.png  

The Coronavirus Thread-7cb950da3cb54d148dcbb24315d47989.png  

The Coronavirus Thread-39aef4aac4de459f80b7ab084fc521f3.png  

The Coronavirus Thread-4b8975f52f284700af47df33265582c0.png  

The Coronavirus Thread-f3c89a65c1c24936b09d7913bb5d253c.png  

The Coronavirus Thread-1ad92075204a496b8a7d3203ddb7fd8e.png  

The Coronavirus Thread-f1d77cd049164a7b9b0418bf9ed00e79.png  

Last edited by hangover : 4th May 2022 at 09:42.
hangover is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 09:46   #6131
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangover View Post
However if thousands get affected by other diseases then it is not a benign item.
I realize that there have been quite a few adverse reactions to the vaccine. But that is the case with every vaccine, even the polio vaccine that has been around for decades and which no one can argue hasn't done what it is supposed to do.

Not going to get into a pro/anti-vax debate here, especially since I'm not a doctor. But personally, I've been following some doctors who are qualified and in a position to comment on what they are seeing developing as far as covid goes and I trust their judgement when it comes to the vaccine.

Each person is of course free to do what they think is correct for their health. Just choose your sources of information wisely.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2022, 11:32   #6132
BHPian

I found this good and concised article on Monkeypox, hence thought of sharing it here as there is absolutely no need to create a new thread on Monkeypox even though it has spread to 20 countries as on date. Lets wait and watch. ( As it is, I am always in the anti-paranoia group as most of you know. My policy -- Facts, real facts and actual scenario on ground - not hype ! )

Mumbai keeps 28 beds ready at Kastruba hospital as a precautionary measure against Monkeypox.

Read here - https://indianexpress.com/article/li...tm_campaign=IE

https://indianexpress.com/article/ex...ained-7933757/

Last edited by vivek95 : 27th May 2022 at 11:40.
vivek95 is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 10:38   #6133
Distinguished - BHPian

Now that the media has started their focus on "number of cases" again and RWAs, house help employers, and lockdown fans are beginning to stir in anticipation of being able to exercise their petty power once again , might be a good time to read this very sensible interview:

https://www.rediff.com/news/intervie...g/20220608.htm

"Since the middle of 2020 and even in 2021, we have realised that vaccinations even with boosters do not prevent breakthrough infection; infections still can happen. Vaccination only prevents severe illness which lands people in hospitals and intensive care units."

"The simple mantra should be: To avoid severe illness, get vaccinated. And if you want to avoid infections, wear a mask."

"As long as hospitalisation rates remain low, we need not be worried."

"So, you can continue to work, you can continue to study and you can continue to travel if necessary, you can continue to lead normal lives with some caution particularly when cases go up. But there is no need to panic."

Last edited by am1m : 8th June 2022 at 10:43.
am1m is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 13:07   #6134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Now that the media has started their focus on "number of cases" again and RWAs, house help employers, and lockdown fans are beginning to stir in anticipation of being able to exercise their petty power once again , might be a good time to read this very sensible interview:
IT employees are also eagerly looking at Covid case numbers in anticipation that WFH will be extended .
DigitalOne is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 15:07   #6135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
IMHO:
I really doubt that masks, vaccines and lockdowns are really doing anything to reduce the spread of this virus.
I don't know where you get your info from, but I can tell you from first-hand experience that masks work.

I was positive and asymptomatic for the initial few days except for some minor throat irritation. During this time I traveled in cars with my mom and another friend. Went to visit a friend who was admitted to a hospital, etc. All the while I was wearing double masks. Luckily all the people who came into contact with me escaped from the virus and I attribute it to the masks.
Jaguar is online now   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks