Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2022, 13:19   #6166
BHPian

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTigor View Post
Recently got my body profile blood tests done, the results were shocking. Now I am diabetic.
You are 100% correct. I should say me too. From being a normal sugar guy to one where I am now termed diabetic is shocking. I contracted covid in Mar 2021 and the sugar spike seems to be unending. No matter what I try, it doesn't go down so much so that my doctor is now saying that I am a diabetic person and need to take medication. I am planning to attend Dr Pramod Tripathi's session on controlling diabetes without drugs. I am determined not to give in to medication without a fight.
Bsimhan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th June 2022, 13:46   #6167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It seems Covid has done irreversible damage to my body.
Please don't get disheartened. You can overcome this as well.

My entire family was on ayurvedic medicines after our recovery for 3-4 months. I cannot tell what the medicines were, but I do remember our family doctor telling us the recovery from inside is a long journey and those medicines were going to help us correct our entire system, it is after almost 10 monts that I was back to my normal health levels. I can only say that consulting ayurvedic doctors will help immensely.
NiInJa is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2022, 14:07   #6168
BHPian

I have caught covid twice so far, this is the count where I was tested positive, there have been times where I felt ill but did not get tested so not counting those. I am 36, relatively fit.

Initially, I did feel weak, not so "alive" but one thing that has helped me get better is playing cricket, or any kind of sport for that matter. I do try and stay active as much as possible and this helps me in many ways, mentally & physically. I would advise the same to those who feel their body has gotten weak after covid. Please do any kind of physical activity as long as your body supports it. Start slow, see how your body reacts to it & take it forward from there. I hope this world gets healthier & a better place to live in.
Engine_Roars is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2022, 14:50   #6169
BHPian

I started travelling to Mumbai and Nashik in August 2020 when the flights were restarted. Since I handle a smart city, my team and I were on the field even during covid peak period. I used to quarantine every time I came back from Nashik, did an RTPCR and then only mingled with the family. Despite sufficient precautions, I contracted mild covid in February 2021 where my only issue was a splitting headache and persistent Anosmia (lack of smell and taste). This lasted a good 4-5months. Now post recovery, I took the two shots of vaccine. But, a month into it, I contracted Zika, one of the unreported among 23 cases in Trivandrum. And ever since this dual attack, I have had great difficulty with mobility. Like a lot of you have said, I just feel dead at times, yet, I worked out, cycled and lifted weights and slowly have gained back my strength. But, frequent swelling in the ankles for no apparent reason ( I did Liver function test, kidney function test, a CT scan and all neurological tests) has definitely taken a toll on the body. There seem to be very vast and unidentified effects of Corona on the body. All that can be done is to keep up physically, emotionally and mentally. I am probably looked at as an alien since I use a face mask and a face shield and also have gloves when I travel. Our safety and our family's safety is in our hands. I feel highly frustrated when people act as if covid is a figment of our imaginations. I try to explain them, but only get schooled in unscientific reasoning. Please, do not go out without masks and please always be cognizant of the fact that we are still in the midst of the pandemic. Stay safe folks!
theroadrunner is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th June 2022, 15:06   #6170
BHPian

I was lucky for 2 years despite attending hospital regularly and even operating on emergency cases but got omicronized this year in January despite all precautions and dual vaccination. Luckily symptoms were mild although a lack of taste and Eustachian tube blockage in right side persisted for a month. We all have taken our booster doses including my 84 yr old mother. I strictly refuse to see patients without a properly worn mask as my slit lamp working distance is hardly a few inches. Folks in my apartment complex look at us like aliens when we use masks but recently after few positive cases in Guwahati,masks have started reappearing. Stay masked and stay safe. Thanks
eyedocgb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2022, 16:09   #6171
BHPian

Honestly, I reserve this less strenuous exercise advise only to highly select patients especially elderlies or people with multiple major co-morbidities. I wouldn't categorise this as a blanket advise to every single covid patient out there in my summary of instructions.

Come on, us doctors and nurses ( I never got covid by God's grace, not even symptoms ) are back on feet in 3-4 days and the running around we do in our 12 hour Covid ICU shift is at par with a strenuous exercise. During the peak waves, we used to get to drink water once in minimum 4-6 hours. My night dinner normally happened at 3 a.m. The nurses especially who are thin frammed, eat crap hostel food are still fit and rocking after recovering from Covid, all in just about 3-4 days after contracting mild Covid. Many things are only in head, but what needs to be reinforced is the fine balance between will power and caution.

--Dr. Vivek

Last edited by vivek95 : 20th June 2022 at 16:10.
vivek95 is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 20th June 2022, 16:37   #6172
BHPian

A lot of us are in this together and the more we speak, it turns more relatable and in some form makes me feel that no one is this alone. I am sharing my experience exactly for this reason

Mental fatigue, anxiety and what I assume people call 'brain fog' - things that I believe I suffer due to COVID.

Fairly healthy. 5 10' and weigh 68 at age 42. Play tennis and volleyball 2-3 days a week and exercise / yoga another 2-3 days a week. Absolutely no health issues prior to COVID. Been diagnosed with COVID twice. May 2021 (Delta), which was pretty bad and took wind out of my sail completely. Haven't felt fully recovered ever. Earlier this year again, but was mild and manageable.

I now tend to read stories/pieces which make me inspire to focus at work and make everyday count with family and friends. I have found life more rewarding and do my best to focus on good than the bad. Just more gratitude in life towards everything.

Wishing all out here good health!
mindshack is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2022, 17:21   #6173
BHPian

Well covid did affect a lot of people and there are many cases like you. However , if you don't mind , please check your weight. My personal experience is that increase in weight does bring diabetes, BP after mid 30s.
sukhbirST is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2022, 23:54   #6174
BHPian

Quote:
Now I am diabetic, have cholesterol and the liver is also affected
Same with me. But do not worry dear friend. Just take medicines regularly, control diet and gradually ease into more active lifestyle.
We all need to be very vigilant in taking care of our bodies as COVID has genuinely impacted our weakest point of our body.
CommitTran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2022, 08:51   #6175
Senior - BHPian

Folks, diabetes is more of a marketing disease rather than an actual one. The cutoff numbers for pre and post fasting sugars have been continuing to lower in interest of putting more people into pre diabetic category all in the interest of big pharma.

Let me give you an example. I got a routine blood sugar test done. My pre fasting was 90 something (well below pre diabetic range). For the post fasting, I went ahead and ate 2 idli, sambhar and a coffee. My post fasting turned up a very high 145.

The next day, i repeated the test, but for breakfast I had a slice of cheese, some walnuts and a 2 egg white omelette. My post fasting was only 98.

So the same 'doctor' who was very eager to diagnose diabetes was extremely disappointed to say the least.

Last edited by Aditya : 23rd June 2022 at 05:57. Reason: Keep it civil
apachelongbow is offline   (3) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 22nd June 2022, 15:23   #6176
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Folks diabetes is more of a marketing disease rather than an actual one.
It's very actual. People loose limbs, people die.

Whether it is over-diagnosed or not, I am not qualified to say. People who know a lot more than I do say, for instance, that high blood pressure certainly is.

Our blood sugar and insulin levels can be critical to life: I would have thought that it could be very dangerous to take unneeded drugs? Maybe you just had a bad doctor.

Perhaps off topic, but can one of our actual doctors please comment on this?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2022, 16:24   #6177
M35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It's very actual. People loose limbs, people die.
You are correct. It's a killer!
Doctors won't start any medication based on a couple of random blood sugar tests. There is a reason why you must have the HbA1C done which is your average blood glucose (sugar) levels for the last two to three months.
M35 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2022, 18:07   #6178
BHPian

Quote:
The prescribed method is to take a specified amount of glucose:

Quote:
How is the test performed?
A set amount of glucose is taken orally. The IDF (International Diabetes Federation) targets are based on taking 75g of glucose.

A blood test is taken two hours after ingesting the glucose.

When is diabetes diagnosed?
The following results are based on the IDF guidelines for diagnosing diabetes.

Normal: under 7.8 mmol/l (140 mg/dl)
Impaired glucose tolerance: between 7.8 and 11.1 mmol/l (140 and 200 mg/dl)
Diabetes: equal or above 11.1 mmol/l (200 mg/dl)
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_...cose-test.html
mvadg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2022, 19:09   #6179
BHPian

Quote:
Utter nonsense being spewed. Its the No.1 Killer these days.

This post is like as if the OP is sad he is not a diabetic. He should be happy that he hasn't turned a diabetic yet. It harms the body, silently taking away your vision, nerves, kidneys, and even limbs.
Aditya_Bhp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2022, 22:30   #6180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
You are correct. It's a killer!
Doctors won't start any medication based on a couple of random blood sugar tests. There is a reason why you must have the HbA1C done which is your average blood glucose (sugar) levels for the last two to three months.
Hba1c is a healthy 5.0

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks