Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2022, 21:27   #6181
BHPian

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

Hi everyone, I always read this thread, posts of members and experiences whenever this thread is bumped up by new user posts. I've been extremely careful ever since this pandemic started. I usually, in general have OCD for cleanliness as both my parents are doctors and they insist me to use soap / hand wash before touching food material, just like every other parent. They also insisted me to use sanitizer (Sterilium / Dettol, etc) whenever I used to visit them in hospitals, not just now but from childhood this used to be the standard practice. I also used to carry a sanitizer and the small paper soap booklet in my school bag. I was extremely careful from the onset of Covid with double masks (N95+surgical mask), gloves, sanitizers, soap handwash, etc. I also bought a UV light on amazon to sanitize rooms, cars as and when needed. I was very scared of covid as it affects respiratory system more than anything and I have Asthma right from my childhood, and I used to get frequent asthma attacks and used to take nebulizer and asthma medication from childhood. From 2020 March until now, I've given multiple RT PCR tests whenever I had cough or common cold, just to make sure nothing goes bad and the treatment is started on time, as we already lost 2 of our family members to covid in August 2020 - my Dad's brother and his brother in law. I personally know many people losing their loved ones due to covid, I still remember all their names, the victims were of all age groups, from children to aged ones. All these things made me be extra careful with this deadly virus. I personally helped many people with pulse oximeters, oxygen cylinders, concentrators, hospital admissions, diagnostic tests, treatment, medications (used to buy medicines from generic pharmacy and distribute them to ones who couldn't buy them), and many more to do my bit to our people and our country.

I finally got hit hard by COVID on 13th of June 2022. I escaped from the first three waves but got hit in the fourth wave. Today is my 10th day, I got Covid +ve report again on 10th day (today). Initially I was told that I did not have any spike gene, and my variant was Omicron. As I am fully vaccinated, I need not worry and I'd be covid -ve by 7th day. My pulmonologist asked me not to take any anti viral medications but to take only Paracetomol, Azythromycin, Vitamin B,C and D supplements. But my Dad (being a Cardio thoracic surgeon) and who knows my health history better than anyone else asked me to take anti viral (Molnupiravir), Barikind, Blood thinner (Lipikind plus), antibiotic (Ceftum 500 mg) along with my vitamin supplements mentioned above.

The initial symptoms came out on tuesday (14th June) with dry cough, cold, temperature (101.4 degrees F.) I immediately gave blood samples (CBP,ESR,CRP) along with RT PCR. I got my report in the evening almost at about 8:30 PM. Luckily the viral load was less, CT value was 24 (mild), but Dad asked me to give few more tests (HRCT, D-Dimer, IL-6, LDH). I rushed to Tenet diagnostic centre, which is close to our residence and luckily they were still open at 9pm. I first gave HRCT and luckily it was clear and the viral load was very less, the result was CORADS1. All other reports like cell counts, CRP, IL-6, LDH and plethora of test results which I got done under Tenet Advanced and Covid package were good. The only bad things were ESR (Erythrocyte sedimentation rate) which should be below 10 was around 120 and D-Dimer which should be below 299 was 543. (Different labs have different numbers depending on the unit scales). D-Dimer basically is study of clot formation in the body, and more clot formation is not good as it might lead to brain stroke and paralysis, heart stroke and immediate death, deep vein thrombosis (DVT), pulmonary embolism and many more issues. On Dad's instruction, I immediately took heparin (clexane) injections to prevent clot formation in my body. ESR reveals high inflammation in the body, for that I'm taking Barikind anyway. As per all the tests, I hope I will be tested negative in 3 days time.

Presently, my body has become very weak, may be due to covid virus or heavy medication usage, I'm still having intermittent fever and dry cough. I hope all this goes away once I'd be covid -ve. While I'm sure there will be lot of long term affects after recovery, I will surely cut down on unhealthy, oily diet. I used to eat lot of lays chips, biscuits (maida). I will definitely cut down on carbohydrates and take more protein rich diet. I'm a vegetarian and there are many good protein food sources like milk, beans, soya, peas etc. All these days I've been very careless about my diet and used to skip meals due to my long hours. I'm glad my thyroid profile,diabetes profile, other organ parameters (liver, kidney) are normal, I got all these tests done in the diagnostic package. I hope my experience with covid and the diagnostic tests with various markers would be helpful to other readers. Hoping to be back to normal soon.
WhiteSierra is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 24th June 2022, 04:15   #6182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
- The cutoff numbers for pre and post fasting sugars have been continuing to lower in interest of putting more people into pre diabetic category all in the interest of big pharma.

- For the post fasting, I went ahead and ate 2 idli, sambhar and a coffee. My post fasting turned up a very high 145.
- I had a slice of cheese, some walnuts and a 2 egg white omelette. My post fasting was only 98.
In general, I too have concerns over how the pharma system might be manipulating much, but diabetes itself being fake seems to be stretching it too far; probably to one's own detriment.

Please consider the glycemic load you put on your system in the two readings. First with idly, likely to be much higher than eggs which have minimal glycemic load IIRC; cheese too. The second test seems to be a poor marker due to minimal gl. It would be advisable to get your test done with proper protocols as @mvadg suggested.

I am not a doctor, but having seen much illness around in family and close friends, and have ended up reading and learning some narrow subjects. I say this without any malice, and with a sense of concern. (this is also for others reading this post). Diabetes is at the base of many issues in the body, including fungal infections, nerve degeneration, heart issues, body parts needing amputation etc. It also affects the immune system which is vital in these Covid times.

Please do not take it lightly. Catching it early might help avoid deterioration and give you a chance at reversal. Not everyone is lucky to catch it early and minimise degeneration.

Last edited by Poitive : 24th June 2022 at 04:18. Reason: Refinement.
Poitive is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th June 2022, 21:08   #6183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTigor View Post
It seems Covid has done irreversible damage to my body. I was infected with the Delta variant in April 2021 and Omicron variant in December 2021. Prior to April 2021 I was a fairly healthy individual with all vitals perfectly under threshold, only issue I had was with my weight and in fact I had reduced my weight from 115 kg to 100kg in 2020. I am 6'2" in height & 33 years of age.

Covid surely has long term effects and they can be nasty and emotionally distressing.
I really wish and pray you get perfectly well soon. I know you must have heard this advise but I personally know a couple of people who were as badly affected but the one thing that worked wonders were breathing excerses. Visit a yoga teacher and do yoga with a lot of breathing exercises.. It seems to really really work.

Good luck to you and all who have been suffering.
SN88 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 13:30   #6184
Distinguished - BHPian

So I got laid out with Corona over the weekend. Fever of 99-101, cough, drippy nose, debilitating back ache. The running nose is the worst part. Won't let you sleep properly.
mayankk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th June 2022, 10:02   #6185
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
So I got laid out with Corona over the weekend. Fever of 99-101, cough, drippy nose, debilitating back ache. The running nose is the worst part. Won't let you sleep properly.
So, on the 4th-5th day of being identifiably afflicted, I did not get a fever yesterday. From popping 3-4 PCMs a day, gradually, it reduced to one, and since yesterday, none.
Its slightly worse than having a viral, what with the cough and the nose galloping.
A slight cough still persists, "kharaash" sorts. No fever.

Such a lovely rain today, and there was such a nice plan for driving out on Friday, unfortunately postponed till I get that negative report.
mayankk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2022, 17:45   #6186
Distinguished - BHPian

I think I've got it.

Damn foolish thing to do: went to a big wedding reception on 30th. First one since covid. Hardly anyone masking, even me not masking.

By yesterday afternoon I had sore throat and sore chest, with some coughing. Felt feverish. Today, temperature up to 101: spent most of the day in bed. I am not fancying chai, which is bad, because I live on the stuff. I suspect that my liver is affected: had this with dengue.

I had a home RAT test, and it came negative. But it was past sell-by-date, and I don't think I stick the thing in deep enough.

Got someone coming at 7.30am tomorrow. to do a proper test. Result by five. Then , if negative, I can decide if I am actually well enough to go to a concert.

Hey, it's my birthday concert!

Even if it is not actually covid, been feeling very poorly all day.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2022, 20:21   #6187
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Damn foolish thing to do:
No it was not.

This is a lottery we all will win. Some hit it earlier, its remarkable you dodged it for so long.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.
bblost is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2022, 22:01   #6188
BHPian

Quote:
I think I've got it.
Not to worry! My parents finally got it. Recovered within days. Nothing more than painkillers and anti-allergy pills for sore throat from the doctor. I added vitamins C, D, B plus zinc and a sore throat spray to the mix. The 3 covid shots must have helped.

Get well soon!
mvadg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2022, 22:13   #6189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think I've got it.

Damn foolish thing to do: went to a big wedding reception on 30th. First one since covid. Hardly anyone masking, even me not masking.
Get well soon. But I don't think you can catch it in just a day or two. The exposure must have happened a few days prior to that. A close reative of mine got it a few days ago. He travlled by overnight train the week before. His symptoms are mild, and the fever has already disappeared. He took the test only because his six month old grandchild is comig home for the first time, otherwise he would not have tested.
Gansan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2022, 01:31   #6190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Even if it is not actually covid, been feeling very poorly all day.
Isolating oneself at home, away from society can be done only for a defined period of time. COVID-19 is now endemic and strains like Delta are now classified as “previously circulating variants of concern”.

Just like H1N1 (swine flu) influenza, COVID-19 will keep on having seasonal outbreaks. Apart from COVID-19, viral fever/flu is also common during monsoon season.

It could be COVID-19 or it could be a flu. More important thing is that most of the population is now vaccinated and most have caught COVID-19 at least once. Combined with the current variant showing less mortality, hospitalisation is also low. So resources are available for care and diagosis.

Moral:
1: Dont blame yourself (for attending a social gathering). Enjoy your life with care ofcourse but do not isolate yourself thinking that you need protection from COVID-19 infection. This virus isn’t going anywhere after a few weeks or months.
2. Catching COVID-19 should not be followed with panic or unusual stress like 2020-21: Just keep monitoring yourself (SpO2, temperature etc), eat nutritious diet, have some vitamins and take rest.
PaddleShifter is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th July 2022, 02:31   #6191
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for all the advice and good wishes.

It's a pain in the neck that I won the lottery on my birthday!

If covid negative, and not recovering in a few days, I'll go to doc, probably get some more test. I'm thinking dengue!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2022, 09:05   #6192
BHPian

Quote:

If covid negative, and not recovering in a few days, I'll go to doc, probably get some more test. I'm thinking dengue!
Common flu is prevalent in Chennai due to the unseasonal rain in June. My sister and her daughter had the exact symptoms like you last week and they just took normal flu/cold medicine for couple of days and are okay.

In my home, wife and son too had it few days ago and are ok now. My son is little bit feeling tired and not willing to eat still.

Take rest and consult your regular doctor if you are ok to take regular flu medicines (anti biotics).
thanixravindran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2022, 10:10   #6193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

If you suspect it is Dengue, please do take a test quickly. Speaking from experience, dengue if left undetected for long is pretty dangerous :(

Take care and get well soon.
deathwalkr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2022, 10:16   #6194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
If you suspect it is Dengue, please do take a test quickly. Speaking from experience, dengue if left undetected for long is pretty dangerous :(

Take care and get well soon.
+1 to this, do not delay Dengue test, it needs to be detected as soon as possible

As for Covid, I also got it a couple of weeks back along with wife and kid. Not sure how, but you can never know for sure where it was picked up. Bad fever for 4 days (101 every 5 hours), vomiting, cold and sore throat. Became better by the 5th day and today its been more than 12 days and the body is still not 100%. This does suck out all energy, hoping to be back to normal soon.

Take care and have lots of hot liquid (soup, water) and plenty of rest
arvind71181 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th July 2022, 10:38   #6195
BHPian

Quote:

Got someone coming at 7.30am tomorrow. to do a proper test. Result by five. Then , if negative, I can decide if I am actually well enough to go to a concert.

Hey, it's my birthday concert!
Hope it is negative and you can go to the concert.
earthian is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks