Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2020, 08:58   #121

re: The Coronavirus Thread

I was just goiing through Reddit feed and found this The best way to prevent corona virus. Sharing it here to spread information.
Old 1st March 2020, 11:35   #122
Team-BHP Support

This Chinese website offers real-time global updates on Coronavirus outbreak - worth bookmarking.
https://www.globaltimes.cn//content/1177737.shtml
Old 1st March 2020, 16:42   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
This Chinese website offers real-time global updates on Coronavirus outbreak - worth bookmarking.
https://www.globaltimes.cn//content/1177737.shtml
Here is one more website which is officially tracked by Wikipedia as well for Coronavirus related data and developments. It is non-chinese (Dutch I guess), so data could be bit more reliable

https://bnonews.com/index.php/2020/0...navirus-cases/
Old 1st March 2020, 17:23   #124
BHPian

How India has largely remained immune to coronavirus
Source: Livemint

Quote:
"The first is that once alerted, India immediately began large scale screening at all it's international airports. Patients were tested for coronavirus using thermal scanners and those who were suspected of symptoms were immediately isolated and quarantined," Nangia said.
Quote:
Monitoring and restricting the mobility of passengers travelling from highly affected areas has also helped.
Apart from that, several notifications were issued on how one could be affected by coronavirus, what the symptoms were and which preventive measures could be adopted.
"Due to the repeated messaging and awareness being spread by the Indian healthcare sector, people realised that handwashing and adoption of proper coughing etiquette were paramount in tackling the epidemic," Nangia said.
I hope this is true and India has managed to contain this outbreak.
Some folks online are saying that the spices in our diet has allowed us to negate SARS & the present epidemic.
One person opined that our polluted air, bad water, suspect vegetables, adulterated food items etc have made us immune to disease.
Some folks said that Indian summer would be effective against the virus but that arguement is negated since it has already affected people in Nigeria.
Old 1st March 2020, 19:05   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post
How India has largely remained immune to coronavirus
I would say India has been lucky.
In addition the Government especially the Centre wouldn't reveal the full picture if there is an outbreak in progress. Only when things go awfully out of control will we get the extent.
Kerala as a state has good health care machinery at the grass roots and hence has been able to contain Corona and Nipah. Any other state would have struggled.
India needs to be vigilant towards travellers from the middle east, Iran, Pakistan etc. and should have contingency plan for every state.
Old 1st March 2020, 23:10   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansvk View Post
I would say India has been lucky.
Absolutely agree, and going by Mr Nangia's statements above it seems we are attributing this minor success at containment to competence rather than luck. I hope this feeling of "we know how to contain it" doesn't result in more complacence.

All said, this is one place where I would love to be proven wrong.
Old 2nd March 2020, 06:08   #127
BHPian

Qatar Motogp cancelled.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/motorsport/51698839

My travel agent mentioned, that there have been a few cancelations by Indians, traveling abroad for the upcoming summer holidays. Destinations within India are being preferred.
Old 2nd March 2020, 08:35   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
Absolutely agree, and going by Mr Nangia's statements above it seems we are attributing this minor success at containment to competence rather than luck. I hope this feeling of "we know how to contain it" doesn't result in more complacence.

All said, this is one place where I would love to be proven wrong.
You don't know that a person has got corona or one of several viral fevers or flus already prevalent in India unless there is very specific testing. The treatment of all these is by managing symptoms of fever, cold + bronchitis, coughing etc.

So yes, someone with a mild case of coronavirus can manage the symptoms by drinking "kashayam" or other ayurvedic, unani etc medicines or cough syrup + paracetamol. He or she is still likely to be infectious with corona and liable to infect at least 3 other people (who will go on to infect 3 more).

And all those, unless tested for coronavirus - which seems to be happening if and only if someone returns from China, Italy, Korea type high risk areas or has contact with a person from there - will simply get classified as another flu or viral fever.

That is why India has barely 3-4 cases of Coronavirus and even a state as tiny as the Lombardy region in Italy (population less than Mumbai) has such a large number of cases.
Old 2nd March 2020, 10:04   #129
Distinguished - BHPian

Some thoughts on quarantines from limited personal experience. During the 2009 outbreak, my wife was also tested positive for the H1N1/09 virus. As required, the hospital reported the case to the government and we were willing to be quarantined but there was no such directive or requirement for the same from the hospital or the government/health department. She spent a few days in the hospital under observation in an isolated ward and then was discharged to be self-quarantined at home. I stayed home too for a couple of weeks, since I had been exposed but did not test positive. We made sure not to get in contact with anyone else. Needless to say, it worked out fine. One important difference of course is that there was already a treatment available, Oseltamivir (Tamiflu), and we both took the full course.

My mom is a doctor and I've seen a few government hospitals from the inside. While they serve a purpose and they do great service to a lot of patients who have no other option, I would not want to be quarantined in one. The chances of catching something or something else, or just being exposed to unnecessary diseases is probably more of a concern there. So while it is tempting to say just quarantine everyone we suspect of carrying the virus to keep the rest of us safe, it's probably not the best idea and may not even be required. Am sure the health authorities know when to apply the quarantine and where.

Last edited by am1m : 2nd March 2020 at 10:06.
Old 2nd March 2020, 10:49   #130
BHPian

So much has been said and heard on this. Any idea how it really originated? There are theories on bio warfare and animal market !! Well the buck has to stop somewhere...
Old 2nd March 2020, 10:54   #131
Team-BHP Support

One of the BHPian doctor recommended that a combo of half a bulb of Onion and half a bulb of Garlic chewed in the morning will reduce the chance of Coronavirus greatly.

Since I was skeptical about this claim, I asked that doctor how it works. He said the awful breath keeps everyone way, which reduces the chance of infection.
Old 2nd March 2020, 10:57   #132
BHPian

Read somewhere and I am not sure which side I should be on. We humans have exploited this planet like no other species would. The amount of carbon footprint that would be reduced by this one virus is something that we would never be able to achieve even if we wanted to. In a way, viruses like these are needed to prolong the survival of this planet.
Old 2nd March 2020, 11:37   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine_Roars View Post
In a way, viruses like these are needed to prolong the survival of this planet.
Well these are natural checks and balances however if it is man made then it could practically wipe out humanity as we know today, this is scary
Old 2nd March 2020, 11:47   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
...Any idea how it really originated? There are theories on bio warfare and animal market !! ...
No evidence of where it originated. Similar to Ebola or HIV, there are speculations that this jumped from an animal (Ebola Zaire is believed to have originated from Bats and HIV from a simian). Presumed to have originated in the wet markets of China where illegal animals are sold for consumption. Again, this is just speculation. As for bio-warfare, plain conspiracy theories. There is no fact on any of this, anywhere, either for Covid-19, Ebola or HIV. Ignore them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
Well these are natural checks and balances however if it is man made then it could practically wipe out humanity as we know today, this is scary
Well, a few scientists do believe that viruses are earth's white blood cells which help it reduce infections (humans). That said, a mutated strain of Ebola might be enough to rid the earth of 70% humanity.

Last edited by ValarMorghulis : 2nd March 2020 at 11:47. Reason: spacing
Old 2nd March 2020, 11:49   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
Well, a few scientists do believe that viruses are earth's white blood cells which help it reduce infections (humans). That said, a mutated strain of Ebola might be enough to rid the earth of 70% humanity.
The big problem with Coronavirus is that some people face the risk of reinfection. Scary as hell, for most other viruses, if you get infected once and survive you retain immunity to it. In this case, maybe not.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/29/h...infection.html

Most Viewed