Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2020, 11:26   #1
Senior - BHPian

The Coronavirus Thread

Note from mod : Worldwide tracker from John Hopkins University is available here -> https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashb...23467b48e9ecf6

Refer below link for official GOI figures and advisory:
http://www.mohfw.gov.in/

Covid-19 site for India: https://www.covid19india.org/

The Coronavirus are a family of viruses that cause illness like common cold to severe ones likes the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS-CoV) and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS-CoV). In December 2019, a new strain of the virus (2019-nCoV) was identified in Wuhan. The people had developed pneumonia without no identifiable cause and existing treatments were not working.

The Coronavirus Thread-2019ncovcdc23312.png

In mid January 2020, it was understood that the virus got transmitted from human to human and many countries across Europe, North America and Asia-Pacific reported cases.

The Coronavirus Thread-screen-shot-20200203-11.14.29-am.png

The Coronavirus Thread-screen-shot-20200203-11.14.17-am.png
dark red - origin, red - confirmed cases, blue - reported cases

The novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) has an incubation period of 2-14 days and it could be contagious at this time as well as post recovery for a few days. Some of the symptoms include difficulty in breathing, fever and coughing and it could be fatal as well. Many of the people who died reported to have an advanced age, hypertension, diabetes or cardiovascular disease/s that impaired their immune systems.

The Coronavirus spreads via air droplets expelled from infected person in a range of 3-6 feet. The WHO has recommended regular hand washing, covering mouth and nose when coughing / sneezing, and avoiding close contact with anyone showing symptoms of respiratory illness. Some countries have asked citizens to wear surgical masks.

As per reports, 17,388 people have been confirmed to have been infected with 362 deaths reported as of February 3, 2020. It is likely that a large number of cases have not been reported due to mild symptoms.

The world heath organisation has declared a Public Health Emergency of International Concern based on the fact that the virus could spread to countries with weaker heath care infrastructure.

Air India has evacuated 654 Indians and 7 Maldivians from Wuhan. As of now, 2 cases have been reported, both in Kerala. Both are students who retuned home from Wuhan. The evacuated people are kept in quarantine and so far there have not been any reported cases of Coronavirus from them.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd June 2020 at 07:52.
blackwasp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2020, 11:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: The Coronavirus Thread

Any tips on preventing Corona Virus while visiting crowded areas ?

Auto-Expo 2020 will have a huge delegation from China. Is it safe to visit Auto Expo given the current outbreak of Corona Virus ?

What precautions one can take ?
Old 3rd February 2020, 12:05   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post

Auto-Expo 2020 will have a huge delegation from China. Is it safe to visit Auto Expo given the current outbreak of Corona Virus ?

One can only be safe.
Here in Singapore, the government has decided that from Feb 1 all new visitors with recent travel history to mainland China will not be allowed to enter, or to transit through Singapore.

Ofcourse personal hygiene, washing of hands after being in public places etc will help. But in the end this is like Flu and spreads as fast.
So the only way to be sure is to keep away from people who have been to Mainland China in the last few days.

Please note, this is a previously unknown strain of Corona Virus. So human body does not have immunity against it. This also means it is much easier to get infected. There are no medicines or vaccines that have been developed as of now either. Treatment is through managing the symptoms.

Last edited by vibbs : 3rd February 2020 at 12:10.
Old 3rd February 2020, 12:16   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Avoid it man. If you know the risk, why wade into it?
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2020, 12:33   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

I saw a Philippino Doctor's observation on Facebook (which is not validated information, but worth relaying still) on this virus - it seems to thrive in the absence of sunlight and in specific low or high humidity levels. So people in tropical regions who experience 30+ degrees Celsius heat and live in places with humidity between 20 - 80% seem to be in a sweet spot as far as avoiding the virus is concerned.

We'll see if her observation turns out to be true or not.
Old 3rd February 2020, 13:54   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Avoid it man. If you know the risk, why wade into it?
I have followed this advice. Cancelled my flights and gave back the company passes for the event on the 6th Feb.

My little understanding is that healthy adults are not impacted as much as elderly in terms of fatalities. But why take the risk however low the probabilities are? However this is highly contagious. The below article is worth reading.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/01/31/h...udy/index.html
Old 3rd February 2020, 16:46   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My doctor recommended the N95 mask - link on Amazon. Apparently, it's not easy or convenient, but better than catching the damn virus.
Old 3rd February 2020, 19:24   #8
Senior - BHPian

I have ordered few N95 masks.

Johns Hopkins University is tracking the Wuhan Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) spread globally in real-time. Here is the link.

Last edited by airbus : 3rd February 2020 at 19:26.
Old 3rd February 2020, 19:34   #9
Team-BHP Support

This is why Coronavirus is scary -> It is spreading at a much faster rate than SARS, but mortality rate is much lower. 3% of those afflicted with coronavirus have died, but SARS had a 10% mortality rate.

Name:  nyt.png
Views: 20228
Size:  38.9 KB

Last edited by SmartCat : 3rd February 2020 at 19:36.
Old 3rd February 2020, 20:09   #10
BHPian

The pace at which China built a 1000 bed hospital for treating the patients - in ten days flat - is amazing.

The site on Jan 24

The Coronavirus Thread-jan24.jpg

The same site on Feb 02

The Coronavirus Thread-02feb.jpg
Old 3rd February 2020, 20:54   #11
UMe
BHPian

Quote:
There is question mark on availability of Chinese delegation during the Auto Expo 2020, with a bar on Chinese citizens entering India, effective tomorrow per DDCA circular.
News Link
Old 3rd February 2020, 21:04   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
This is why Coronavirus is scary -> It is spreading at a much faster rate than SARS, but mortality rate is much lower. 3% of those afflicted with coronavirus have died, but SARS had a 10% mortality rate.
CPC is notorious for under reporting such things as mortalities. Sadly, we will never know the real figures, considering all bodies are burnt instantly with no chance for a send off or grieving by the family. Not that any of them would want to any way.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2020, 22:51   #13
Senior - BHPian

India is the third country after Australia and USA to put a blanket ban on travel to China.

Quote:
Anyone with a travel history to and from China from 15 January 2020 and after could be quarantined.

Online visa facility for Chinese passport holders has been temporarily suspended.

Online visas that have already been issued to Chinese nationals are temporarily invalid.

Online applications for a physical visa from China are suspended.

Anyone that needs to visit India from China needs to get in touch with the Indian Embassy in Beijing or consulates in Shanghai or Guangzhou.
Source: https://www.cntraveller.in/story/ref..._medium=social
Old 4th February 2020, 10:05   #14
BHPian

I attended the Plast vision Expo held in Mumbai mid January and it was full of people from China and also full with locals. I just maintained my distance. For auto expo I am for sure going to carry a mask, hand sanitizer and maintain my distance. Chinese govt is actively detaining people who show even the slightest symptoms from travelling. I think with some precautions one can visit Auto expo as people are aware of the threat now.
Old 4th February 2020, 10:33   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psbali View Post
For auto expo I am for sure going to carry a mask, hand sanitizer and maintain my distance.I think with some precautions one can visit Auto expo as people are aware of the threat now.
Do you think it is worth the risk? My company has cancelled all the travel plans of our staff to China. Prevention is ALWAYS better than cure.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks