Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2020, 12:09   #16
BHPian

re: The Coronavirus Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
CPC is notorious for under reporting such things as mortalities. Sadly, we will never know the real figures, considering all bodies are burnt instantly with no chance for a send off or grieving by the family. Not that any of them would want to any way.
Exactly and this is why I feel the situation is much graver than we think. The fact that a massive hospital was built in Wuhan in under 3 weeks is a sign that the number of infected people is very very high. By refusing to acknowledge the severity of the epidemic, China is putting the rest of the world at risk.
Old 4th February 2020, 12:25   #17
BHPian

Looks like the chinese are giving Auto Expo a miss amid the coronavirus threat.

www.livemint.com

https://auto.economictimes.indiatimes.com
Old 4th February 2020, 13:50   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
but mortality rate is much lower. 3% of those afflicted with coronavirus have died, but SARS had a 10% mortality rate.
That is not the right way to look at it. Of the 20,636 people infected so far most of them have contracted the disease only during the last couple of days. Look at the no of people who has died (427) and those who have recovered (669). That's more like a 40% mortality rate. Of course, realistically, I think it would settle around 20-30%.
Old 4th February 2020, 13:56   #19
BHPian

Its better not to allow the Chinese delegation at the auto expo, if there is a breakout in India, with the health facilities we have here, we will have a tough time containing it & treating our citizens.
We definitely cannot build hospitals in 10 days like the Chinese.
Old 4th February 2020, 14:07   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkat_Figo View Post
Its better not to allow the Chinese delegation at the auto expo, if there is a breakout in India, with the health facilities we have here, we will have a tough time containing it & treating our citizens.
We definitely cannot build hospitals in 10 days like the Chinese.
So true. If there is one country in the world that can contain such an outbreak its China.

PS: On the contrary, given their eating habits and the prevalence of unknown viruses in animals, if theres one country that can start this outbreak, that would be china too.
Old 4th February 2020, 14:24   #21
Team-BHP Support

Meanwhile, with the third case being reported - Kerala has declared Coronavirus as a 'state calamity'.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/73910377.cms

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
My doctor recommended the N95 mask - link on Amazon. Apparently, it's not easy or convenient, but better than catching the damn virus.
The irony is that most of these masks are made in China.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 4th February 2020 at 14:30.
Old 4th February 2020, 14:51   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
The irony is that most of these masks are made in China.
Viruses cannot live outside a living body for long (say more than 24 hours). So as long as masks were not made this week, they are fine
Old 4th February 2020, 14:57   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Any tips on preventing Corona Virus while visiting crowded areas ?

Auto-Expo 2020 will have a huge delegation from China. Is it safe to visit Auto Expo given the current outbreak of Corona Virus ?

What precautions one can take ?
Useful tips from the Chinese in a short video
Old 4th February 2020, 16:21   #24
BANNED

Today as I was walking out of Saravana Bhavan at Kovilpatti after having a late (11-11.30ish) breakfast an AC bus pulled up with a bunch of Chinese tourists on board, but they didn't enter the restaurant and left 10mins later probably after using the restroom. The bus was KL33 registered and this probably is the same gang being reported here in the news link below.

https://www.mathrubhumi.com/mobile/p...o-do-1.4499118

We were in the parking lot and saw the bus drive off towards south on NH44.

This is highly irresponsible of the tour operator to be doing this when the world is going through a crisis. Money minded idiots. The bus didn't have any tour operator name written on it, I do have the registration number of the same thanks to dashcam.
Old 4th February 2020, 17:12   #25
GTO
Team-BHP Support

This statement just came in from the Auto Expo organisers:

Quote:
All Chinese companies participating at the Auto Expo – The Motor Show 2020 have confirmed that their Exhibit Area would be manned by their Indian employees/representatives.

None of these Stalls would be manned by anybody who has come to India recently from China.

As all arrivals from China has now been stopped, there will be no visitors / delegations from China at the Motor Show 2020.

Despite no Coronavirus threat directly at Auto Expo, the Organizers are taking measures to make people aware of symptoms and the prevention actions. Arrangements are being made to make available Hand Sanitizers.
Old 4th February 2020, 19:45   #26
Senior - BHPian

I have planned a family trip to Phuket in mid-March. Not sure whether to go ahead with it or not. Flight tickets and hotel is partially booked with very low cancellation refund, will leave a massive hole in my pocket if I have to cancel it :(

Unfortunately, not much information is being circulated on Thailand's number of corona virus affected people. Heck, I feel they must be doing it deliberately as they know it can affect tourist inflow which will have an impact on their economy.

One look at youtube videos on Wuhan's meat market and one will understand why those people should not contract any unknown disease, sadly, others like me too will have to pay the price ! (pun intended)

Last edited by NiInJa : 4th February 2020 at 19:50. Reason: grammar
Old 4th February 2020, 19:59   #27
BHPian

Though China claims that the virus started spreading from the Wuhan seafood market via bats which were eaten by humans, there are many theories floating around linking the virus spread to biological warfare. It appears though that the virus was first detected in a Saudi national a few years back, then samples were taken to Canada from where the Chinese scientists allegedly took the samples from there to China. Coincidentally the Chinese laboratory in Wuhan is also in close proximity to the seafood market. If it was true, why would Chinese let the virus infect its own population? Weird though.
Old 4th February 2020, 20:03   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
I have planned a family trip to Phuket in mid-March. Not sure whether to go ahead with it or not. Flight tickets and hotel is partially booked with very low cancellation refund, will leave a massive hole in my pocket if I have to cancel it :(

Unfortunately, not much information is being circulated on Thailand's number of corona virus affected people. Heck, I feel they must be doing it deliberately as they know it can affect tourist inflow which will have an impact on their economy.
There are information available regarding Thailand's outbreak. Thailand is the 2nd highest country with the most number of confirmed cases. As of today, there are 25 confirmed cases, 84 suspected cases and 6 recovered from it. Thailand is also the first country outside China to report H2H transmission. It has affected 2 Thai cab drivers and a Japanese driver who transported Chinese tourist.

It is suspected that the outbreak in Thailand can be severe as it is one of the top destinations for the Chinese, if they are following protocols strictly then by March I feel it would be contained. On the brighter note, China has reported that 80% of 20,445 confirmed cases are people who are 60 years and above with underlying illness.

I would suggest that you wait till March and see how the virus is progressing before cancelling your trip. You can follow daily update in this website : https://outbreak.cc/#

China updates the cases everyday twice and it is updated in the link shared above: 8AM and 3PM Beijing Time.

Last edited by prasathlr : 4th February 2020 at 20:06.
Old 4th February 2020, 20:32   #29
Senior - BHPian

Pakistani Embassy in China has denied to evacuate its citizens.

New Zealand is charging $500 per head whereas Australia is charging $1000 per head from its citizens in China for evacuation.

India has already started the mission and completed three trips from China to India free of cost. Cheers to Indian Government.

Last edited by GTO : 5th February 2020 at 08:24. Reason: Simplifying first line to avoid a controversial discussion
Old 4th February 2020, 20:39   #30
BHPian

Two Coronavirus suspects in Kerala flee to Saudi Arabia

https://ummid.com/news/2020/february...di-arabia.html

These two should be punished / penalized for putting the life of others in jeopardy. Now the entire passengers of the flight, the persons present at both the airports need to be observed.

Last edited by adrian : 4th February 2020 at 20:44. Reason: adding heading

Most Viewed