Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2021, 22:56   #5401
BHPian

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

Guys, steam inhalation provides significant symptomatic relief and is advisable even in Covid. It does not kill the virus, that is the job of immune system. Hope this damn Covid doesn't drive us all so crazy that we begin doubting each and every thing in this world. Steam inhalation, nebulization are all well established proven techniques, so one new disease in the hyped technology/social media era cannot undermine their importance.

I remember last year in the late initial phase, even NIV/Bipap support was not advisable for Covid patients in the fear of aerosols, but me being me, provided it to whoever genuinely needed it and prevented unwanted unnecessary invasive ventilation (intubation). By the way, gradually, Bipap regained its value, thank God.

Also, to my colleagues here, what do you think about this varied symptomatology of congested eyes, fatigue, GI symptoms that was touted during the onset of second wave ?? How many patients did you actually see coming up with only these as primary symptoms ?? In my experience, 90% still keep coming up with Fever and Cough as the primary symptoms. How has your experience been ??

--Dr. Vivek
vivek95 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 18th May 2021, 00:53   #5402
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : As you have been warned earlier as well, do NOT submit any political posts. It is in violation of our forum rules.

Last edited by GTO : 19th May 2021 at 08:23.
Zen2001 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 18th May 2021, 02:16   #5403
BHPian

https://m.economictimes.com/news/ind...w/82717262.cms
ICMR - National Task Force drops Plasma Therapy Covid-19 Management guidelines.
Does it mean that there won't be any more requirement from recovered persons? I was hoping to donate plasma as a recently recovered person.
adi.mariner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2021, 06:39   #5404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
Also, to my colleagues here, what do you think about this varied symptomatology of congested eyes, fatigue, GI symptoms that was touted during the onset of second wave ?? How many patients did you actually see coming up with only these as primary symptoms ?? In my experience, 90% still keep coming up with Fever and Cough as the primary symptoms. How has your experience been ??

--Dr. Vivek
Hi Doc, For us (family of four) initial symptoms were slight stomach pain and loose motions. Absolutely no other signs. But since funnily all of us had consumed different food that and previous day and I immediately knew this was not food poisoning and something different. So next day got rtpcr done and got positive report by evening. Late evening that day I finally got 101 fever.
akshay380 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2021, 06:45   #5405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
-Dr. Vivek
Hi,
In the hospital where I work sub 20Y old patients are more frequently reporting with congested eyes, easy fatigueability, bowel disturbance and the elders are presenting mostly with flu like symptoms.
Looks like things are finally slowing down in Chennai. Hopefully it should sustain.
drrajasaravanan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th May 2021, 06:53   #5406
Distinguished - BHPian

Watch this when you can. By far the most comprehensive video I have seen explaining covid, understanding what really happens and how to manage it. Something we must all know and understand, in these times. The video is by Dr. Mathew Varghese.

Last edited by Sheel : 18th May 2021 at 11:57. Reason: As requested.
BoneCollector is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th May 2021, 08:55   #5407
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
When you say it's non life threatening, I assume you mean that statistically, most of the people will recover perfectly at home, and will be fine in a few days. Many of us here have already been saying that all along, stressing that IFR is very low. Of course, we've also debated on this enough, and there have been opposing viewpoints.
No statistics. COVID, like diabetes, requires management. If not managed, it can escalate and will become an emergency. That is what is happening now and all hospitals are flooded. People are ignoring symptoms and getting into emergency situations. When in an emergency, anything can happen. An emergency is when oxygen, plasma, ramdesvir are required when doctors are desperately trying to revive the patients in some way or the other. I can confidently say that if managed correctly, 99.99% of COVID patients will recover - most at home, few with hospital care, and some minuscule with ICU care. (Those 0.01% fatalities are since some individuals with fragile immunity may not bear the symptoms of the viral infection - BTW, no hard numbers, % mentioned to make a point).

Few links on this:
1) My assessment - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...ml#post5063705 (The Coronavirus Thread)

2) Video - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...ml#post5064133 (The Coronavirus Thread)

Sorry, caught up with work. I will give reasoning on my predicament and my point of view on the remainder of the comments.
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2021, 08:55   #5408
Senior - BHPian

Seeking some guidance from the experts and doctors here. I had tested positive for COVID twice, first time in Feb and once again in March. The first instance was very mild, just cold and nothing else. In the second instance last month, I had fever and severe headache. Before I tested positive the second time, I was asked by the doctor to check my anti bodies, and the result came as 0.02, which means my body did not generate anti bodies from the first infection or I may have got a different strain the 2nd time, well that’s what my doctor mentioned. Now, should I check for anti bodies once again, before vaccination? Its been nearly 4 weeks since the date of my 2nd infection in April, I assume I can take the Vaccine after 30 days, and anyway since there is an availability constraint, I see myself getting the vaccine only by 1st or 2nd week of June. Hence checking if there are any tests that I need to run before the planned vaccination? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by motorworks : 18th May 2021 at 08:59.
Old 18th May 2021, 10:07   #5409

Hello team,
Yesterday, I woke up with slight fever and sound in nose, as in cold. And the situation after 24 hours is exactly same. Some more observations:
  1. I took first dose of Covishield on 10 May after which I developed high fever and it stays for 24 hours. After that everything was fine.
  2. On 16 May, I took bath late at 3PM and sit directly in front of cooler. Only after some time I realised that it is not comfortable, so I switched off the cooler. Climate at my place is such that days are hot around 32℃ and in morning it cools down to 25℃ means lot of fluctuations in temperature so I am not ruling out the normal fever.
  3. On 17 May, I woke up with slight fever and nose sound. However, the temperature reading is around 99.2 to 99.8. it is not touching 100 but not going down either till now.
  4. No sneezing, no sore throat at all, no cough.

Can I connect with any doc here for consultation on phone?

Last edited by vb-saan : 18th May 2021 at 12:59.
amitkuch is offline   Received Infraction
Old 18th May 2021, 10:27   #5410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
So, yes, this wave seems to be slowing down pretty fast which was expected given the exponential increase. In fact, the prediction done by Prof Manindra Agarwal of IIT Kanpur had also predicted a steep fall off and the actual numbers are also trending similarly, after some initial hiccups of the model.

https://www.sutra-india.in/
His predicted graph is matching exactly with current numbers!

The number of new cases is going down 10% every day and it is currently 263k. As per the link, India will be having 110k cases per day in the next 2 weeks which will be huge relief for everyone.
how_you_doing is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th May 2021, 10:42   #5411
BHPian

Eminent Dr KK Agarwal passed away on 17 May after battling Covid. He helped thousands of people with short, useful Youtube videos and live Zoom sessions on properly tackling Covid threat, and was a source of credible knowledge among the noise all around. He will be missed by many of us.
He had taken 2 doses of vaccine, but looks like Covid or its after effects still found a way through.
RIP Sir!
Caffeinated is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th May 2021, 10:51   #5412
BHPian

What does vaccine efficacy mean? Could we compare vaccines ? Here is a video explaining this.

Godzilla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2021, 11:25   #5413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeinated View Post
Eminent Dr KK Agarwal passed away on 17 May after battling Covid. He helped thousands of people with short, useful Youtube videos and live Zoom sessions on properly tackling Covid threat....
RIP Sir!
Indeed, but more than that, he had set up and coached multitudes of Covid Educators, and was running free online OPDs by pulling in a lot of doctors. He had created a full ecosystem where people could go to, seek consultations from doctors and home/patient management advice from the Educators - all for free! He essentially conceptualized and implemented what governments should have thought of and done, or at least copied!

His, is a very significant loss for the country as a whole.
roy_libran is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th May 2021, 11:52   #5414
BHPian

Quote:
So, yes, this wave seems to be slowing down pretty fast which was expected given the exponential increase. In fact, the prediction done by Prof Manindra Agarwal of IIT Kanpur had also predicted a steep fall off and the actual numbers are also trending similarly, after some initial hiccups of the model.
Quote:
Originally Posted by how_you_doing View Post
The number of new cases is going down 10% every day and it is currently 263k. As per the link, India will be having 110k cases per day in the next 2 weeks which will be huge relief for everyone.
I would had missed out on checking out the post by adimicra if not for your post referring it!

This modelling is so much near the actual reported number. Thanks for sharing!!

This, hopefully, is the light at the end of the tunnel of wave2 we've been looking for.
whitewing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2021, 12:24   #5415
BHPian

Quote:

Was going through this model. The predicted figures are very similar to actual figures. The trend is decreasing in most of the states but it's near peak here in West Bengal.

Most Viewed