Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What kind of music is in your playlist?
Rock Music 119 38.02%
Hip Hop Music 19 6.07%
Pop Music 43 13.74%
Electronic/ Trance/ Club Music 45 14.38%
Others (Country, Jazz, Instrumental etc) 87 27.80%
Voters: 313. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2020, 20:16   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
OK agreed. Eagles is pretty likeable.

A few years back, I realized that about 50% of Metallica songs are horrible. Thrash metal it is called I think - their songs were used to torture Guantanamo Bay prisoners.
That's a decent ratio of good songs, though.
Any particular ones that you found terrible?
I grew up on Springsteen and Michael Jackson and many colourful hits that came to our shores in the 80s and 90s.
Then I bought get a grip by aerosmith, which made me realise that I like the sound. Then it was just a train wreck of Metallica, megadeth and iron maiden, then gnr at their best, and ratm and Rammstein. That's sort of my all time bands. Rest all come and go.

Last edited by Aditya : 12th February 2020 at 11:27.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2020, 20:23   #17
Team-BHP Support

I looked at my current playlist, it's got such a wide bunch of artists on it I don't think I can put it in genres.

I pick up music preferences in rather unlikely spots. For e.g. I started listening to Gotye after I heard a song on a PA system in an airport lounge some years ago. Andre Rieu's instrumental music after I accidentally stumbled onto 'A Time For Us' when cross-referencing Nino Rota. Robert Schumann's 'Traumerei' (Indians will recognize it as the Raymond's tune) is a personal favorite.

Sort of grew up with Hindustani Classical in the background (Ma would put it on first thing in the morning), and it's virtually part of the family psyche.

Last edited by Aditya : 12th February 2020 at 11:27.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2020, 20:30   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have a theory: Most of us like the music groups that were popular during our high school and college times.
This I'll agree with. Very few of us are like Navin.

Favourite bands (and band members we can name) - sneaky way of establishing our age!

Sometime back Rolling Stone (I think) listed out the cover art of the important/ popular albums of the year. Could recognise most till a certain time and from thereon suddenly could recognise almost none.

PS - Shocker - My M800 ( city runabout for 17 years) does not have a music system.

Last edited by Aditya : 12th February 2020 at 11:28.
Sutripta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2020, 21:08   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
OK agreed. Eagles is pretty likeable.

A few years back, I realized that about 50% of Metallica songs are horrible. Thrash metal it is called I think...

Love their distinct percussions. My favourite number is ‘turn the page’. Not their original composition but really like it.
Was not really a Nirvana fan until I heard them unplugged. Single take recordings and I loved the sound. I think I’ll now need to spin some rock vinyls tonight. Here I go...
The Music Thread-cf92492fa2884cb9a6a3799f00a2be8d.jpeg

The Music Thread-c3eab963b82a4c8eabed00e93cc07fd0.jpeg

Talking about music genres I like... I like everything from classical to rock. Everything except folk music. Somehow I have rarely found myself enjoying folk music.

saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2020, 21:11   #20
Team-BHP Support

I am big into Popera (pop + opera) or Operatic pop. Probably because I was listening to Indian/Carnatic classical and semi-classical while growing up. I was an untrained singer in my teen to late 30s singing semi-classical Indian songs, have sung to big audiences. So I admire vocalists a lot, who can sing difficult songs, like opera or popera.

Once I got exposed to western music in my 20s in USA, I liked music from Whitney Houston, Toni Braxton, etc. But I also like regular pop music.

When Navin says Jimi is god, I can say Dimash is god when it comes to vocalists.

Why?

Voice Range: Six octaves plus 1 note
Notes: C2 to D8, spanning from the baritone to soprano and whistle registers.

Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2020, 22:03   #21
Team-BHP Support

Better half is very interested in picking up a turntable and records. Suggestions?

Old 7th February 2020, 22:22   #22
Team-BHP Support

That has to be a multiple option!

My father spent some time in Germany when I was just born and once back, he promptly got a membership at Max Mueller Bhavan in Pune. That meant several weekends, for a few years, spent lazying around their beautiful property and renting out Beethoven/Mozart music. Imagine being introduced to that music at that age.

That me hooked to western classic music, which later included Yanni. Jazz followed somewhere in between. In fact, R2D2 and I were at a live jazz performance yesterday at one of Pune/ (India's) long-standing jazz bars.

As cliche as this may sound, college (college hostel at that), got me hooked to Pink Floyd. The other 70s (soft/psychedelic) rock such as Queen, Beatles followed.

Courtesy two of closest friends, I got introduced to Jagjit Singh (college heartbreak and what not ). But then, Mr. Ghulam Ali showed up and I followed him more than Mr. Singh. (Had the privilege of listening to him perform live twice).

So, rock + instrumentals get me going. But I do have typical pop songs, just for when I am agnostic to music.

What I absolutely can't stand are the silly remixes / Badshaah and Neha Kakkar - creations, and all the garbage that has no melody or prose.

libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2020, 09:55   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Better half is very interested in picking up a turntable and records. Suggestions?
If it has to be new, go for a Rega. Avoid plasticky Denons and stuff like that.
Nothing better if you can find a vintage direct drive Technics or even a Sony. Technics was a real good piece of hi-fi equipment. You will require a nice cartridge to go with it, a decent preamp phono, an amplifier and obviously a pair of nice speakers.

Regards,
Saket

saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2020, 10:41   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Do they really sample at a very high rate for LP recording when compared to MP3? I guess that is the wrong question I think. LP is not sampled at all.

Last edited by Aditya : 12th February 2020 at 11:29.
Old 8th February 2020, 10:50   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Do they really sample at a very high rate for LP recording when compared to MP3? I guess that is the wrong question I think. LP is not sampled at all.
I am not really sure if they don't sample it anymore. A few new Indian releases sound nothing more than 320KBPS MP3. That is why you would see most collectors looking specifically for old pressings rather than new release of the same titles. Old pressings sound much warmer and soulful in my experience too.

Old 8th February 2020, 10:53   #26
Team-BHP Support

Saket and Chetan's post about turntables led me to this video on Youtube yesterday.

SmartCat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2020, 10:57   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
I am not really sure if they don't sample it anymore. A few new Indian releases sound nothing more than 320KBPS MP3.
You mean there are people who can hear sound higher than 160khz and so they prefer LP?

Old 8th February 2020, 11:03   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
You mean there are people who can hear sound higher than 160khz and so they prefer LP?
No, but because an MP3 conversion is lossy by nature. There is no doubt that original analog pressing sound much more warm than the shrill sound of newer masters and MP3s because the original recordings were analog and mastered specifically for a analogue reproduction by a vinyl. The newer discs are cut using digital remasters of the analog recordings.

Also, without getting into the debate of fourier & mathematics involved, I would say music is more about feeling it. There are people who get more authentic feel of music when they have a physical medium to hold and a nostalgic method to play.

Old 8th February 2020, 11:51   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow, in the space of about 24 hours another interesting thread!

I love my music, going to concerts. If there is a documentary about a certain artist or group on television I tend to watch that to. Even if I hardly know the singer or group. Just to see and hear what its like. Who knows, it might bring something new.

I did away with all my LPs and record player decades ago. Now my eldest son is into LPs and calls me stupid for it. Still have hundreds and hundreds of CDs. A little easier to keep, store and play. But for the last years all my music is downloaded. I am still on iTunes, downloading. Haven't got around to streaming much yet. Other than radio.

When we lived in Kansas City we got into country and western big time. We had an excellent local radio station called 106.5 KTMO The Wolf. We listened to it a lot. When we moved from Kansas City to Delhi, we kept listening to it. Till one day it stopped. I contacted them and due to some legislation they were not allowed to stream outside the USA anymore. Quite some time later, they contacted me and would I appear on one of their shows to be interviewed. We were their most distant fans!

ITune has this interesting feature that will suggest new artist and song based on your previous purchases. I find it very interesting and useful. Of course, these days I never buy an album, just the songs I enjoy. I have hundreds and hundreds of songs from different artist. Listened to them and only bought one song.

If you use YouTube to watch and listen to music it also gives you a list of other suggestions. I recently discovered Joe Bonamassa and Beth Hart. Outstanding each on their own, simply out of this world together. Searching for concerts. Joe is touring Europe this year, he will be playing in Oostend, Belgium early May. But that is when our first grand child is due, so we are not planning anything early May. It will have to wait.

There are probably only a few artist of which I have all their material or at least most. Tracy Chapman, J.J. Cale, Jim Croce, Gordon Lightfoot, Robert Cray, Ry Cooder. We saw Gordon perform in Kansas City as well. He was in his late 60s, early 70s. His voice was definitely not as strong as it used to be. But again an artist that just loves to perform and really engages with his audience.

I am buying new current material as well as the goldon oldies which I grew up with. I am setting of on a weekend trip. Photography workshop in Antwerp, then onwards to Paris for the RetroMobile Exhibition. About 1100 km driving. Obviously, I will take my Jaguar. Downloaded some new songs, made a new playlist and ready to go!

The poll is a bit to limited for me, I listen to almost anything, pop, soft pop, rock, R&B, soul, country & western, blues, classical musical, instrumental. Most of my musis, if it has lyrics will be English, the odd Dutch song, a probably a few other languages here and there as well. There are two genre that do not appeal to me, rap and punk. I probably have some songs that do fall in these genres, but they would be very “mild” examples.
Jeroen

Jeroen is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th February 2020, 12:06   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
I recently discovered Joe Bonamassa and Beth Hart. Outstanding each on their own, simply out of this world together.
Never heard of these guys before. Did a Youtube search and found this song:

I like it. Guitar solo is amazing. Any other good songs from this group?

Last edited by Aditya : 12th February 2020 at 11:30.
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks