Team-BHP > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: What kind of music is in your playlist?
Rock Music 119 38.02%
Hip Hop Music 19 6.07%
Pop Music 43 13.74%
Electronic/ Trance/ Club Music 45 14.38%
Others (Country, Jazz, Instrumental etc) 87 27.80%
Voters: 313. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2020, 14:45   #61

Re: The Music Thread

Sharing a couple of my favourites:

Old 12th February 2020, 14:47   #62
Senior - BHPian

Music in playlist depends on my mood. The bad part, I don't know which music relates to what mood of mine. But when I am driving alone I prefer EDM or deep house music as that helps me keep awake .
Old 12th February 2020, 15:06   #63
BHPian

Am i the only one to look up to the Beatles ( even in the present age) or the fact that they were the most commercially successful band of all time puts off people who look for exclusivity?.

One of my favorites.

P.S : As @Sutripta mentioned, "What you listen defines your age" comes to a cropper from the first statement.
Old 12th February 2020, 15:12   #64
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Assuming it is a 16bit sample, I guess it is sampled at 20KHz, which means 10KHz is reproduced faithfully.
Typically CDs are sampled at 44.1kHz with the goal of reproducing 20kHz faithfully.
Old 12th February 2020, 15:25   #65
BHPian

I am a fan of Indian classical music (also a semi-pro harmonium player). So I mostly listen to classical vocal by the gurus - Pt. Bhimsen Joshi, Pt. Jasraj, Dr. Vasantrao Deshpande, Pt. Jitendra Abhisheki and more recently Pt. Venkateshkumar.

Other than that its semi-classical stuff like Natyasangeet or Ghazals (mostly Hariharan or Jagjit Singh). Fortunately my better half also likes to listen to this kind of music but also prefers hindi film and album songs. My daughter on the other hand likes hindi and English songs.
Old 12th February 2020, 16:44   #66

While i listen to a wide range of music from rock to metal to old Hindi, Kannada,etc, retro rock will always be my favourite. When i am driving alone, must confess that more often than not it's mainly Bruce Springsteen that i listen to. As Lady Gaga once said, it's impossible to be on an open highway and not think of Bruce Springsteen.
When my wife is in the car, then very little of Springsteen gets played. However, lately thanks to my 3 year old son who loves a few Springsteen songs she has no option other than to put up with us
Balboa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 17:31   #67
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balboa View Post
However, lately thanks to my 3 year old son who loves a few Springsteen songs
Good job. Raise them right. My son was into Queen and Black Sabbath. At age 3 or so he had to go for a school interview and they asked him to recite a poem. He was a little hesitant at first but after a little prodding from the teacher that "any poem will do" he started.....
"Buddy, you're a boy, make a big noise
Playing in the street, gonna be a big man someday
You got mud on your face, you big disgrace
Kicking your can all over the place, singing
We will, we will rock you
"

Needless to say, my wife was furious at me, more surprising was that he got INTO that school.

The story now is an urban legend amongst my family.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 18:17   #68
BHPian

Voted rock, because Classic rock.. well, rocks! Everything from ELP, The Who, Pink Floyd, Frank Zappa, Jethro Tull, Bob Seger, to the more recent RHCP (f/punk rock but rock nevertheless), Soundgarden, Audioslave (I am the highway!), and then some. Changes when the wife wants pop hits, and then Apple Music's 'Today's Hits' playlist dominates the ICE

Edit: Missed Coldplay, and corrected Bob Saget!

Last edited by sam_babushka : 12th February 2020 at 18:20.
Old 12th February 2020, 19:28   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_babushka View Post
Voted rock, because Classic rock.. well, rocks! Everything from ELP, The Who, Pink Floyd, Frank Zappa, Jethro Tull, Bob Seger, to the more recent RHCP (f/punk rock but rock nevertheless), Soundgarden, Audioslave (I am the highway!), and then some. Changes when the wife wants pop hits, and then Apple Music's 'Today's Hits' playlist dominates the ICE

Edit: Missed Coldplay, and corrected Bob Saget!
We attended the super bowl Miami 2010, which was a great event of course.. More importantly, the half time act was the Who!

Live performance of the Who! Never thought I would see them live! Well, when I say the Who, it was more what was left of the Who by then. Pete and Roger left their Zimmer frames at home and rocked the house for 15 minutes. Any longer and the paramedics would’ve probably had to put them on oxygen. These guys must have been pushing seventy at the very least, but boy could they still rock!

Jeroen
Old 12th February 2020, 19:45   #70
BHPian

I've got a taste in music that is shared by very few people of my age. My library consists of mostly songs of yesteryears. Pink Floyd, Bon Jovi, Queen, Scorpions, Beatles, U2. The list is never ending. Also unlike most others who enjoy their music mostly on Airpods, I bought myself a headphone amplifier with a year of my savings on my 18th birthday. The kind of music you listen to defines you as a person. My favourite all time artists include the likes of Eminem, Pink Floyd, Bon Jovi, Bryan Adams, Scorpions, Queen, Eagles, Air Supply, Guns n' Roses......

Music is a subject very close to my heart. I believe that each and every moment of our existence can be expressed in the form of music.
Old 12th February 2020, 19:55   #71
BHPian

Hard rock in the morning...and good ol' country while heading back home. Sets things in the right perspective pour moi
Old 12th February 2020, 19:58   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Typically CDs are sampled at 44.1kHz .
That was the original CD standard. Nowadays I believe in the studio during the mastering process it is much higher.

There was an interesting story behind why 44.1 KHz and not 40 KHz.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 12th February 2020, 21:20   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
I have a theory: Most of us like the music groups that were popular during our high school and college times.

I'm 40 and I can't point to a single song by artistes/groups like Eric Clapton, Rolling Stones, Beatles, early Pink Floyd etc that I like.
Cannot agree more to this statement. As I started reading down this thread, just realized I haven't updated my playlist or my ipod in ages. Its just delta increments to a few songs here and there, which remains mostly plugged to the car. Over 90% of that collection is from my engineering hostel days and a little after. I still crank up the volume when my favourite tracks play from Pink Floyd, GnR, MJ to name a few.

Partly, because none of the present artists or bands have really caught my ear ( saving a few like Shakira , JLo, Enrique who have some nice songs for the drive) , and the other reason is, if you listen to the FM for 10 days ( just during the drive time ), you have pretty much heard every latest song out there, after that its mostly a repeat.

I selected other, and my present choice is NPR and the talk shows on current affairs and audio documentaries. There is always an interesting insight provided along with information about things across the globe.

With Android Auto and data becoming so accessible, it's just easy to stream what ever the heart wants based on the mood.
Old 12th February 2020, 21:48   #74
BHPian

In a music thread, why only western music genres are included as options? Why not hindustani or Carnatic classical? Or even bollywood? Does bollywood come.under pop music?
Old 12th February 2020, 21:52   #75
BHPian

It is Hindi film songs from the decades before the 90s, all the way, for me. I have accumulated more than 200 songs (Mukesh, Rafi, Kishore Kumar, Lata Mangeshkar, Asha Bhosle...) on my mobile and it is either this playlist or similar playlists from Amazon Prime Music for me almost all the time.

I also keep a play list of selected songs in Malayalam and Tamil songs (mostly from before 2000), which I play less often.

Have never followed English albums, however odd it may seem. The names of English albums mentioned here doesn't ring anything with me.

I also listen to audio books on Audible, from my mobile, while I drive.

Most Viewed