Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What kind of music is in your playlist?
Rock Music 119 38.02%
Hip Hop Music 19 6.07%
Pop Music 43 13.74%
Electronic/ Trance/ Club Music 45 14.38%
Others (Country, Jazz, Instrumental etc) 87 27.80%
Voters: 313. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2020, 21:58   #76
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Music Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilarni View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
I have a theory: Most of us like the music groups that were popular during our high school and college times.
Cannot agree more to this statement. As I started reading down this thread, just realized I haven't updated my playlist or my ipod in ages.
Doesn't apply to me at all. I rarely listen to stuff I heard before 25. I constantly keep updating my music list. In fact, most singers I listen to are half my age or even younger.
Old 12th February 2020, 22:30   #77
BHPian

Not sure if anyone here is into prog metal. Bands like Porcupine Tree, Pineapple Express, DreamTheater, Lunatic Soul, Riverside, Sons of Apollo, Arkentype, Periphery, Skyharbor, Leprous, Tesseract, Karnivool etc.
AZ911 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 22:49   #78
BHPian

I'm a classic rock and metal guy through and through!

However, over the years I've really found my music taste evolving and have started listening to all kinds of music now (Hip-hop , reggae, pop).

Nothing gives a good rush like a nice thrashy metal song though
Old 12th February 2020, 23:19   #79
Zed
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
I have a theory: Most of us like the music groups that were popular during our high school and college times.

I'm 40 and I can't point to a single song by artistes/groups like Eric Clapton, Rolling Stones, Beatles, early Pink Floyd etc that I like. That's probably due to the fact that - when I was in high school and college, groups like Metallica, Nirvana, Guns N Roses, 90s Pink Floyd (after exit of Roger Waters) ruled the cassette tapes. And these are the rock groups that I prefer to listen to.
Metallica, Nirvana & GnR paved the way for me to appreciate legendary rock acts (Stones, Purple, Maiden, Floyd..) from the 70's & 80's. Some of our younger form members may not be able to relate to how difficult it was, back then in India, to access not-so-popular bands before the advent of the internet and streaming.
Old 12th February 2020, 23:36   #80
BHPian

College days (upto 2006) - started with linkin park, limp bizkit etc, moved to heavy metal like Iron maiden, metallica, Korn, then moved to head banging heavy metal like slipknot and immediately elevated to death metal like Children of Bodom, Cradle of filth. The last 2 mentioned were ultimate and I still cant understand a bit of their lyrics, its just noise. Pure mad crazy noise which was awesome to ears in the college days. Now, at 35, I just get headache listening to them and can't believe how I was able to listen to their songs in loud speakers!!

2007 to 2015 - After college, moved to classic rock like pink floyd, Queen etc, then to progressive rock (many small bands providing occasional good songs). Tried trance, then to dance, house & EDM.

2015 to 2017 - majorly lot of liquid dubstep & EDM (likes of suicide sheep channel, lindsey Stirling etc)

2018-19, mostly into alternative rock/pop like 1975- robbers etc.

By 2020 I am into those indie songs which has a retro beat like kalax, The midnight, FM-84, etc.

Music has evolved for me, and only one genre which I had not liked much is the hip-hop.

The old beautiful classic rock has died (no new artists), even I think death metal/etc has been reduced heavily. I guess current youth is all into pop, indie, hip-hop and EDM.

PS: Anyone who had not listened to Children of bodom, please start with "Everytime I die". Such a nice beginning and guitar, but the vocals just make it scary!! And they are one of the beginners in this kind of genre.

Oh forgot about my fav guy in college times - Marilyn Manson, the guy who was inspired by Marilyn Manroe and the old serial killer Charles Manson and created his name by combining those names.
Old 12th February 2020, 23:54   #81
Team-BHP Support

I disagree to the fact that our taste shapes based on what we heard in college. I never heard Carnatic classical when in school. But now I love it!

Lot of classic rock and good old heavy metal with some nice solo guitar acts like G3 continue to rule the playlists for me. (Plus 40s/60s Hindi and Carnatic vocals). Moods change based on what you do. Traffic, late night drives, highways, workouts etc. But still nothing comes to close that Floydian psychedelia on a late drive back home from office and all solo !

I also see, most have mentioned about all kind of genres. But none on Jazz, Country and Gothic/Symphonic Metal (Like Guardian, Nightwish etc). No takers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ911 View Post
Not sure if anyone here is into prog metal. Bands like Porcupine Tree, Pineapple Express, DreamTheater, Lunatic Soul, Riverside, Sons of Apollo, Arkentype, Periphery, Skyharbor, Leprous, Tesseract, Karnivool etc.
I think progressive rock is the best thing to happen post classic rock era. Porcupine Tree, DT, Riverside, Tool on the relatively newer lot and Rush, King Crimson etc on the reasonably older ones.

Meanwhile I also see some of the vintage being re-incarnated. Case in point: Gretta Van Fleet! A La Led Zep.
Old 13th February 2020, 00:22   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

I also see, most have mentioned about all kind of genres. But none on Jazz, Country and Gothic/Symphonic Metal (Like Guardian, Nightwish etc). No takers?
I used to listen to Nightwish as long as Tarja Turunen was there, then lost touch. I guess "Within Temptation" came as a good alternative to Nightwish? But anything related to rock/metal was not getting much takers by that time.
Old 13th February 2020, 00:34   #83
BHPian

"The Music Thread"! -- How could I have missed this for so long?! And so amazingly active thread too!

A quick look on the first page, ... memories of my university days flooded in!

I was standing before the bookshelves crammed with volumes after volumes of enticing treatises on music ... Lemme dive in ... Very interesting stuff ...

Golly, but where is anything at all about what I so far had known to be music! Am I looking at wrong places?! Go back to the subject of the books ...
Yes, they all say "Music" alright, not "This" or "That" kind of music, but just "Music"! I wondered how come my kind of music was not considered any kind of music at all! --- The subject matter under discussion was of much interest to me anyway, so I do own a few of those volumes myself!

Now, after all these years, back in my own country too, those memories came flooding back to me as I found myself disenfranchised!

All these may not be music to some ears, but I couldn't help it. Apologies.

Anyway, acting as a party crasher as I am, my musical interest is perhaps 90% Hindustani classical. Some light classical and classical based older film music too.

I also consider myself privileged to have access to Tagore songs, -- with nonpareil lyrics suitable for any kind of mood I find myself in.

It's not that I don't appreciate some kinds of western music too (including classical), but find myself able to devote relatively much less time to them. Life is too short. Days are too short!
Old 13th February 2020, 00:37   #84
BHPian

My playlist is extremely varied with artists & legends ranging from Ozzy to Clapton, Creed to Linkin Park, The Beatles to Ravi Shankar and Gorgoroth to Amjad ! I have got a song for every mood on the road.
Old 13th February 2020, 01:28   #85
BHPian

oh boy!!!
This is gonna be the go-to thread for some good music recommendations, the Fkj & Masego - Tadow is so smooth.

I don't think there is a single English speaking & listening to music person on Earth- who wouldn't have heard of Pink Floyd (that's an achievement in itself)
And the King of Pop - Micheal Jackson, he made us love dancing and Pink Floyd made me love music
Queen - those in my mind are the Fab Four

On the most down days- i listen to Eminem - Not Afraid, what a composition, brilliant
the rest of my favs are all in the Rock category, classic rock to power ballads to even boy bands.
Heck, whilst I was in College, I was bodyguard to one girl band that come to India, awesome 2 days.

I guess as Indians we must be the only bunch in the world that would be listening to so many genres of music and that too so varied.
Thanks Navin for starting this thread.

Last edited by neofromcapone : 13th February 2020 at 01:31. Reason: forgot to add Queen, Sorry
Old 13th February 2020, 01:39   #86
BHPian

I am only 21 and I have great taste of music. Yes. I am telling that. Is it just me? Nope. My sister, friends, all liked my genre.
What is music?
It’s expression of your emotions by vocals or musical instruments or both.
Not DJ, and all the lame artists of 21st century. Sorry folks.
One of the greatest artists are:
John Lennon (The beatles)
Eric Clapton
Dire Straits
Eagles
Guns n roses
ACDC
Metallica and others.
I love the people who has the same taste of music of mine.
I want my future wife to be fan of all these artists. LMAO.
Some of the iconic songs like Sweet child o’ mine, Nothing else Matters, Hotel California will never be forgotten.
There is something about English Music- It doesn’t get old. It doesn’t sound old. Except for Chuck Berry and The beatles and some others.
Who can believe Hotel California is almost 50 year old music.
Let’s be friends if you’ve share the same genre as mine. Insta @ghanshyammallar
Old 13th February 2020, 01:59   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambydude View Post
In a music thread, why only western music genres are included as options? Why not hindustani or Carnatic classical? Or even bollywood? Does bollywood come.under pop music?
They were included already!

Carnatic music is what I do to get out of the house. I've been to four concerts in the last three days. A few posts back, Hindustani got a mention.
Old 13th February 2020, 07:59   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
They were included already!
Is it there in the poll options? I don't see them and hence, the question.
Hindustani is something I really enjoy when I'm bored with the mainstream western music. It definitely has a soothing effect.
Old 13th February 2020, 08:47   #89
BHPian

5:00 AM, Mumbai Pune Expressway, my Skoda Rapid in 7th gear cruising at a sleepy rpm at 90 kmph and Robert Miles playing. Just bliss...
Got addicted to trance early in my college days and while I listen to everything from Hindustani Classical to Heavy Metal, nothing makes me calm than either Robert Miles OR Hariprasad Chaurasiya (Rakesh Chaurasiya recently)
Old 13th February 2020, 09:18   #90

Voted for rock music. Apart from rock, I love listening to ambient music, electronic music, Indian fusion. The list goes on and on.

Some notable artists/bands in my playlist are:

1) Buckethead - By far the most underrated artist
2) AC DC
3) Coldplay
4) Def Leppard
5) Pink Floyd/David Gilmour - Coming Back to life is my favourite.
6) Stive Morgan
7) Schiller
8) Yanny
9) Rahul Sharma
10) Enigma/Michael Cretu
11) Kishore Kumar
12) Craig Pruess
13) Papon
14) Indian Ocean
15) Agam

Regards,

Most Viewed