Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What kind of music is in your playlist?
Rock Music 119 38.02%
Hip Hop Music 19 6.07%
Pop Music 43 13.74%
Electronic/ Trance/ Club Music 45 14.38%
Others (Country, Jazz, Instrumental etc) 87 27.80%
Voters: 313. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2020, 09:57   #91
BHPian

Re: The Music Thread

I have greatly varying tastes in music, and it depends a lot on the mood and ambience. Apart from the usual Indian stuff that a regular 90s kid was exposed to, I started with a distinct interest in Heavy metal - Scorpions, Judas Priest, Motorhead, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin and other similar plays from the genre. By the time I reached college, I was fascinated with pyschedelic stuff led by Pink Floyd. This also introduced me to a lot of fusion between Indian and Western music, mainly raga rock and a lot of other smaller artists.
As I grew older, I've come to appreciate a lot of acoustic and unplugged acts. A lot of other artists made it to my playlists - Dire Straits, Deep Purple, Eagles, Guns n Roses, Skid Row, Def Leppard, Marilyn Manson and stray acts of Electronic/Pop music here and there like Maroon 5 etc.
Though my taste in music transcends genres, I'm mostly a rock guy, that too classic rock acts from 70s to early 90s. I find modern rock extremely uninspiring.
sharatravan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2020, 10:40   #92
BHPian

Growing up we had a shop where we used to rent out LPs and cassettes. My interest in music started from there at the age of 7.

Grew up listening to the likes of Neil Diamond, Tina Turner, Eurythmics, Kenny Rogers, Supertramp, Dire Straits, Madonna, etc. Discovered Hard rock when I first heard "Blaze of Glory" by Jon Bon Jovi on a cassette borrowed from a classmate of mine. Roamed amongst many hard rock / metal bands like GnR, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Ozzy, Aerosmith.

At one point of time I had close to 16,000 tracks on my ipod ranging from Metallica to Hari Prasad Chaurasia and from AR Rahman to ZZ Top.

Off late it has become difficult to connect with any contemporary artist that I can listen to. Even among the ones I listened to, I find myself drawn to specific tracks rather than the entire works of the the artist.

This has led to a massive trimming down of my playlist. My playlist now consists of around 80 tracks that I can listen to anytime and on repeat forever.

Some of the tracks on my playlist are:
  • "Daddy Cool" and "Ma Baker" by Boney M
  • Entire "Destination Anywhere" album by Jon Bon Jovi
  • Entire "Madras Cafe" album by AR Rahman
  • "The Unforgiven" and "Wherever I May Roam" by Metallica
  • Entire "Brothers in Arms" album by Dire Straits
  • "Creep" by Radiohead
  • "Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen
  • "Zombie" and "Salvation" by The Cranberries
  • "The Sound of Silence" cover of Simon & Garfunkel by Disturbed
  • Entire "Brother where you Bound" Album by Supertramp
  • "Hello" by Lionel Richie
  • "Heathens" by twenty one pilots
  • Evanescence
  • "Sweet Dreams" by Eurythmics as well as cover by Marilyn Manson
  • "November Rain" by GnR
  • "Seven Nation Army" by The White Stripes
  • Phil Collins
  • Linkin Park
  • Creed
  • Dil Chahta Hai
  • Madonna
  • David Bowie
  • Pharrell Williams
  • Eagles
  • "Paree" by Sunitha Rao
  • Unkle
  • Limp Bizkit

Am partial to the sound signature of Supertramp and Dire Straits.
Old 13th February 2020, 10:42   #93
BHPian

I feel there should have been an option to vote for more than one genre.

If the poll was done 10 years ago, it would have been just rock...and rock. Maiden / Dream Theater / Rush / Pearl Jam / Tool and the likes.

Over the years and ofcourse with age, while rock is still the mainstay i have ventured into folk / country. Bands like Lumineers / Decembrists / David Wax Museum made it up on the playlist.
I am somehow a big fan of 3 members bands like Green Day and Rush.
And then is Rafi Saab...
Old 13th February 2020, 10:51   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

I think progressive rock is the best thing to happen post classic rock era. Porcupine Tree, DT, Riverside, Tool on the relatively newer lot and Rush, King Crimson etc on the reasonably older ones.

Meanwhile I also see some of the vintage being re-incarnated. Case in point: Gretta Van Fleet! A La Led Zep.
Word! I was fortunate enough to watch Karnivool live at HRC, Mumbai in 2012. Man, what a band. As far as I have seen, these prog metal bands like Karnivool, Periphery, DT, Opeth are as tight live as in the studio. Can't say the same for many other more famous mainstream acts.
Skyharbor from India (mostly) is a great addition in this esteemed list.
Old 13th February 2020, 11:03   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_power View Post

PS: Anyone who had not listened to Children of bodom, please start with "Everytime I die". Such a nice beginning and guitar, but the vocals just make it scary!! And they are one of the beginners in this kind of genre.
Got introduced to COB via Downfall, got some more albums, but soon found little variety in the music.

Was never a Slipknot fan but after bumping into Corey Taylor doing unplugged version of some other artists ( Incl Green Day), i kind of do have some fav numbers on the playlist from them.

I think they deserve a place!

Last edited by vb-saan : 13th February 2020 at 11:17. Reason: Quote tag fixed
Old 13th February 2020, 14:12   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambydude View Post
Is it there in the poll options? I don't see them and hence, the question.
Hindustani is something I really enjoy when I'm bored with the mainstream western music. It definitely has a soothing effect.
Good point!

I agree that classical, if not both Indian classical and Western classical, could/should be on the poll. I didn't vote. I guess... Others!
Old 13th February 2020, 14:14   #97
BHPian

It's always a mix of classic rock - Pink Floyd, Led Zep, Eagles, CCR, Beatles etc. coupled with a healthy dose of metal - mostly progressive stuff like Tool, Opeth, DT etc.
I had a phase of doom/black/death metal a few years ago but I seem to have outgrown it.

When I have company in the car though, then I switch to 90s Bollywood, old Kishore Kumar, Md. Rafi and sometimes Kannada movie tracks. Neither my parents nor my spouse appreciate metal enough to let me play it while driving :P
Old 13th February 2020, 16:20   #98
Team-BHP Support

Bit surprised that we hardly have any hip hop fans here. I have a decent hip hop collection - 465 songs from 34 artistes. I have recently discovered 1990s artistes like DMX and Rakim. But Eminem, Dr Dre, Lil Wayne, 2Pac and The Game are my favorites.

Eminem fans, check out this song - he belts out 6 words per second (starting from 4:24)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rap_God

Do a Youtube search for 'Tupac mashup' or 'Tupac Remix', for some amazing mixing talent from DJs and other artistes. Tupac/Eminem/Dre mashups are especially good. Example:

Last edited by SmartCat : 13th February 2020 at 16:24.
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2020, 17:48   #99
BHPian

Wow what a fantastic thread and i eventually gave up the count of how many replies i had to re-quote and give a thumbs up to.

I think almost all of us love all genres of music and it really depends on what mood we are in and what is the current favorite genre. Personally i start a genre and keep listening to it for couple of days at least before moving to the next and the genres are a varied lot - Classical, Hard Metal, Hindustani Classical, Reggae, Old Bollywood, Country and even Marathi Bhavgeets or Devotional songs!

Yet if one was to list an evergreen genre then i suppose it would have to be British Rock Bands from the late 60s to the late 70s. Goes without saying that Pink Floyd is an eternal favorite while Led Zepplin, David Bowie, Queen are first among equals. Huge shout out to CCR fans and those who love Mott the Hoople's All the young dudes. These are bands/songs i can listen to on an infinite loop.
Old 13th February 2020, 17:50   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
We attended the super bowl Miami 2010, which was a great event of course.. More importantly, the half time act was the Who
Wow! What a wonderful once-in-a-lifetime experience! I'm sure it was rock heaven
Old 13th February 2020, 19:30   #101
BHPian

No option to select Indian classical, instrumentals, Carnatic music ?
Old 13th February 2020, 20:32   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
Bit surprised that we hardly have any hip hop fans here.
There aren't that many but I happen to be a big hip-hop nerd. I also love metal so that's really an odd combination

The 90s was probably the greatest decade in rap. So many incredible artists telling stories from the street. Hard, dark and heavy and full of poetry, rhythm and flow. That's kind of died down now but there are still some fantastic underground rappers around who are worth a listen.

Here are three of my favourites. Do pay special attention to the incredible lyrics and flow.

This is Prodigy and Nas. Talking about how their mind and their instincts coexist in a situation.

This is Biggie. Probably the greatest when it comes to flow. Talking about how they double crossed a drug deal. Almost Tarrantinoesque in its imagery and violence.

My favourite underground rapper, Greydon Square. Talking about the paradoxes that exist in this world. This man is criminally underrated.

Last edited by ranjitnair77 : 13th February 2020 at 20:34.
ranjitnair77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2020, 20:41   #103
BHPian

Voted for others. I’m a big fan of Indian Carnatic music. Thyagaraja Kritis and Annamacharya Songs make my day. If there is one song that I may want to listen for the last time, then, it has to be "Ekkadi Maanusha Janmamu Ethinna Phalam emmunnadi" by Annamacharya, rendered by Great Sri.G. Balakrishna Prasad.

Last edited by saisree : 13th February 2020 at 20:57.
Old 13th February 2020, 20:45   #104
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitnair77 View Post
My favourite underground rapper, Greydon Square. Talking about the paradoxes that exist in this world. This man is criminally underrated.
1) Am impressed. I found this Greydon Square 'Top Tracks' playlist on Youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...q00fTk7LQYFyBM
I will play all of them over time, but which songs are worth listening to?

2) Any other 'underground' rappers that are good?
Old 13th February 2020, 22:53   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Salt View Post
Got introduced to COB via Downfall, got some more albums, but soon found little variety in the music.

Was never a Slipknot fan but after bumping into Corey Taylor doing unplugged version of some other artists ( Incl Green Day), i kind of do have some fav numbers on the playlist from them.

I think they deserve a place!
While COB and slipknot uses very haphazard vocals (with slipknot being better organized at times), COB has lot of beautiful guitar leads, which is missing in Slipknot. Slipknot uses only distortion and there is no lead. COB would have been one of the best, if the vocals followed some melody/tune. Its like they made the vocals/tune as bad as possible deliberately. But I loved their guitar.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks