Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2020, 13:13   #16
BHPian

Re: Luxury Hacks: Ways to get luxury experiences without paying through the nose

Me and my family has HDFC Regalia and ICICI Sapphiro CCs. They offer a bunch of luxuries at throwaway prices and accumulation of points is pretty easy too. (especially HDFC).

Some of the key redemption's/offers I have got yet - (below mentioned benefits are extra over the regularly earned points, except the flights)

1. Got a free CK perfume worth 3350 by paying my college's fee.

2. Have received vouchers regularly of different brands worth 1k and 5k. To name a few, Croma, TATA CliQ, Myntra (got 5k, 2 times), BigBasket, HPCL.

3. Have booked at least 20 flights at a FLAT 70% discount using HDFC regalia points. I remember getting DEL-GAU for 3 people at just 3k.

4. I regularly visit airport premium lounges for free by using my CCs. Otherwise they cost a cool 27$ per person. (1900 INR)

Some tips for new CC users -

- We do all our household shopping, petrol pump visits, online shopping, flights/hotel bookings over CC. In short, if the shop has a card transaction machine, I won't even bother touching my hard cash. It helps in 2 ways. First what you read above, second your debit account remains untouched for the whole month which in turn benefits you for bank interest.

- Start paying CC bills using CRED. They have some really cool offers to choose from.

- Look out for point redemption/expiration status regularly. It's pretty simple. Either log in to your bank account or just read your monthly statement properly. Every statement has a section for it. I have seen many people (my relatives) who don't even know that such a thing exists.

- If you're a regular user of Bookmyshow, apply for a Axis Burgundy card. You'll save a ton of money.

- Sometimes applying for a CC can be beneficial even if you don't want it. (provided you're getting it for free annual charges). I once applied for a Vistara Axis Bank CC. Got a free 7.5k flight- DEL-DIB (they give you a free first flight using that card). Though I paid 2k as joining fees. Still a win win for me.

Other things to keep in mind while shopping/availing services -

- Almost every major brand has some type of membership or a frequent user program. Jawed Habib, Apollo Pharmacy, Lifestyle, Shopper's Stop, Planet Fashion, Dineout, Zomato Gold are few of the brands that I have membership. You will save a lot if you just enroll for it.

- If you're a Flipkart shopper, redeem the super coins. They have some really cool offers. I remember saving approx 7k on Zoomcar booking via super coins.

- Try to book flights/hotels on bank offer days. Check Goibibo and MMT for this.

- I remember redeeming my Jet Privilege points just before they got out of business. I redeemed them for a cool 6k Amazon Pay balance. My dad blames me for the bankruptcy of Jet Airways.

Cheers- NA
na_agrawal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 14:34   #17
BHPian

Re: Luxury Hacks: Ways to get luxury experiences without paying through the nose

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhairavp View Post

HDFC Infinia and Diners Black - 33% cashback through SmartBuy on FK, Amazon - up to 25k points for Infinia, 15K for DCB, per month. These points are worth 1 rupee each for travel through the SmartBuy portal.
Just to add - in DCB you get 25K extra Rewards on select DCB partners which are revised each month.

This takes DCB overall rewards to 15=25=40K/month which is maximum across the segment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by na_agrawal View Post
3. Have booked at least 20 flights at a FLAT 70% discount using HDFC regalia points. I remember getting DEL-GAU for 3 people at just 3k.
Use DCB/Infinia and you'll be flying FREE!

Quote:
4. I regularly visit airport premium lounges for free by using my CCs. Otherwise they cost a cool 27$ per person. (1900 INR)
Which Card do you hold for Lounge Access?

Quote:

- If you're a regular user of Bookmyshow, apply for a Axis Burgundy card. You'll save a ton of money.
INFINITE VISA Cards offers 500INR off a month on BMS (300INR for Ticket & 200INR for F&B)

Citibank Cards offer BOGO w/ a cap of 300/week if booked on paytm. & a lot more.

Quote:
- Sometimes applying for a CC can be beneficial even if you don't want it. (provided you're getting it for free annual charges). I once applied for a Vistara Axis Bank CC. Got a free 7.5k flight- DEL-DIB (they give you a free first flight using that card). Though I paid 2k as joining fees. Still a win win for me.
More than that, you pay for a higher card & the perks that come beside it is unparalled. Eg: I've Axis Vistara Infinite Card - I pay 11.8K/year (incl Taxes) w/ which I get Biz Ticket + GOLD Status (Biz Line for Check In/Priority Boarding/Additional 10Kg Luggage than the precribed class/Complimentary Biz lounge each time I fly Vistara & much More)

Quote:
- If you're a Flipkart shopper, redeem the super coins. They have some really cool offers. I remember saving approx 7k on Zoomcar booking via super coins.

- Try to book flights/hotels on bank offer days. Check Goibibo and MMT for this.
When you use DCB/Infinia you straightway get 33.33% off in terms of Reward Points credited.

Quote:
- I remember redeeming my Jet Privilege points just before they got out of business. I redeemed them for a cool 6k Amazon Pay balance. My dad blames me for the bankruptcy of Jet Airways.
Well, the RR that you got while transferring to amazon is poor. I use the erstwhile JP miles (now intermiles) to book flights & it's more rewarding than ever - Why?
You get to book AIR INDIA

Last edited by catchdoon : 16th March 2020 at 14:35.
Old 16th March 2020, 14:40   #18
BHPian

Been trying to get a hang of the entire HACK from a couple of months now. While learning about all the perks of different cards, got curious to get a few of them. I got so curious that as of now I have 10 credit cards with me, ranging from really bad ones to really good ones.

Have acquired a lot of points over the course of time and haven't really redeemed a lot of them. Just waiting for the right time to utilize these points.

From the last 6 months my focus has only been the HDFC diners club black for the amazing 33.33% cashback that it offers for spending upto 48k a month on Fk, Amazon or flight & hotel bookings.

Will be interested to be a part of this ongoing topic here and learn while I share my knowledge.

Attaching a picture I just took of all the 10 cards together.
Attached Thumbnails
Luxury Hacks: Ways to get luxury experiences without paying through the nose-img_20200316_143231__01.jpg  

Old 16th March 2020, 19:16   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchdoon View Post
Which Card do you hold for Lounge Access?
Multiple!! ICICI Sapphiro, ICICI Coral, Axis Burgundy, HDFC Regalia Business First, HDFC Regalia.

My HDFC Regalia Business First initially was restricted to 2 free visits per quarter. Over the time they increased it to 4 per quarter considering my usage and on-time payment pattern.

Almost all my other cards offer anywhere between 4 to 12 visits annually. More than enough for me!

Quote:
INFINITE VISA Cards offers 500INR off a month on BMS (300INR for Ticket & 200INR for F&B)

Citibank Cards offer BOGO w/ a cap of 300/week if booked on paytm. & a lot more.
IMO, Axis Burgundy/ICICI Sapphiro is better. It offers BOGO upto 500 INR per ticket (no F&B) for movies and 1000 INR for events/shows/activities.
Limited to 4 and 2 bookings per month respectively.

Quote:
More than that, you pay for a higher card & the perks that come beside it is unparalled. Eg: I've Axis Vistara Infinite Card - I pay 11.8K/year (incl Taxes) w/ which I get Biz Ticket + GOLD Status (Biz Line for Check In/Priority Boarding/Additional 10Kg Luggage than the precribed class/Complimentary Biz lounge each time I fly Vistara & much More)
I was provided with this info and got tempted! But sadly the routes/timings which I generally fly didn't have many Vistara slots. So.

Quote:
Well, the RR that you got while transferring to amazon is poor. I use the erstwhile JP miles (now intermiles) to book flights & it's more rewarding than ever - Why?
You get to book AIR INDIA
At the time when I redeemed this the Jet had almost grounded most of it's flights. I thought all my miles will see the end of line and redeemed what seemed to be the most fruitful for me. Didn't have a clue that it would be converted to InterMiles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yashcosmos View Post
From the last 6 months my focus has only been the HDFC diners club black for the amazing 33.33% cashback that it offers for spending upto 48k a month on Fk, Amazon or flight & hotel bookings.
You guys have been really praising the DCB and Infinia cards. Can you please throw some light on applying for these. Cause from what I have heard, banks send invitation for these cards to select customers. One cannot simply go to the desk and demand such cards. Is this correct information? or I am just a delusional CC user!?!

One more thing, despite holding many CCs and an Experian score of 820+ I have been denied 2 times for Axis Bank Buzz card. (That FK advertises and provides benefits exclusively) Has anyone of you got hold of that CC? Is there any underlying strict set of T&C for this?

Cheers - NA
na_agrawal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 19:50   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Multiple!! ICICI Sapphiro, ICICI Coral, Axis Burgundy, HDFC Regalia Business First, HDFC Regalia.

My HDFC Regalia Business First initially was restricted to 2 free visits per quarter. Over the time they increased it to 4 per quarter considering my usage and on-time payment pattern.

Almost all my other cards offer anywhere between 4 to 12 visits annually. More than enough for me!
Which of these cards give International Lounge Access?
Also if you own Diners Club Black, that one card gets you more than 1000 lounges worldwide. No needs to carry 10 cards for lounge access.
If you have Priority Pass, that's cool too.

Quote:
IMO, Axis Burgundy/ICICI Sapphiro is better. It offers BOGO upto 500 INR per ticket (no F&B) for movies and 1000 INR for events/shows/activities.
Limited to 4 and 2 bookings per month respectively.
No Doubt. I was just giving more options. You pay for Burgundy and/or Sapphiro?

Quote:
I was provided with this info and got tempted! But sadly the routes/timings which I generally fly didn't have many Vistara slots. So.
Now Vistara Flies to Many destinations - You'd want to check it out. Also, did you see their latest Boing?

Quote:
At the time when I redeemed this the Jet had almost grounded most of it's flights. I thought all my miles will see the end of line and redeemed what seemed to be the most fruitful for me. Didn't have a clue that it would be converted to InterMiles.
Jet Privilege Miles had a controlling stake by Etihad. And when Jet was down, mailer had come notifying that Jet Privilege miles weren't going anywhere.

Quote:
You guys have been really praising the Diners Club Black and Infinia cards. Can you please throw some light on applying for these. Cause from what I have heard, banks send invitation for these cards to select customers. One cannot simply go to the desk and demand such cards. Is this correct information? or I am just a delusional CC user!?!
It's ok to be delusional too at times. But there's nothing such a PURE INVITATION for as long as you can get the hacks right.
If you have an acct in HDFC plus good relations, you might easily get the Diners Club Black. Else, if you want to go via a neat method then you need to have a gross income of 1.75L/month. If you have Salary Acct w/ HDFC it just makes it easier. Get in touch w/ your RM (Relationship Manager) at HDFC for the same.

Hold your horses for INFINIA. Many Legends are still fighting to get it. You just get in line.
But if you can keep 10L Monthly Average Balance or 30L in Fixed Deposit you can cut the line and get INFINIA faster than the legends here.

Quote:
One more thing, despite holding many CCs and an Experian score of 820+ I have been denied 2 times for Axis Bank Buzz card. (That FK advertises and provides benefits exclusively) Has anyone of you got hold of that CC? Is there any underlying strict set of T&C for this?
It's a Shitty card. Stop thinking about it. Dream Diners Club Black/Infinia.

Last edited by Aditya : 1st January 2021 at 18:11. Reason: Abbreviations
Old 16th March 2020, 22:59   #21
BHPian

People who like Luxury Hotel stays, Marriott Bonvoy currently has 50% extra Sale going on for Bonvoy Points till 25-Mar-20. Its a good chance to buy those points and later use for redemption at some of the most luxurious properties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33-PAC View Post
I've driven almost every supercar there is except the really rare ones.

It was not cheap at all but it's definitely cheaper than owning or maintaining one.

I'm happy I did it. I learned that I'm a comfort and luxury kind of fellow and the stiffness of a supercar didn't really match my preferences.
Could you please shed some light on how you achieved this?

Quote:
Hold your horses for INFINIA. Many Legends are still fighting to get it. You just get in line.
Really had me laughing.

Quote:
Amex Plat Charge Card - pricey, but you get Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Taj Inner Circle Silver, Hilton Honors Gold, Shangri La Golden Circle Jade Tier.

Value here lies in linking your Shangri La Jade Tier to your Taj Inner Circle account, you'll be automatically upgraded to TIC Gold, which comes with 50% cashback on your first 3 meals at a Taj, and 20 upgrades.
Also, you can link this to SIA Krisflyer, you will get Krisflyer Silver status. Take 3 flights on SIA within a year, you're upgraded to SIA Krisflyer Gold, which is a Star Alliance Partner - i.e. you enjoy Gold status on any *A partner, e.g. Air India, Lufthansa etc.
Also, you get discounts on dining at Oberoi hotels, if you book through the Amex concierge.
Thanks a lot. This is very insightful.

Quote:
You guys have been really praising the DCB and Infinia cards. Can you please throw some light on applying for these. Cause from what I have heard, banks send invitation for these cards to select customers. One cannot simply go to the desk and demand such cards. Is this correct information? or I am just a delusional CC user!?!

Infinia currently is being marketed as 'By Invitation Only'. However there are many hacks to get it. But definitely requires a Savings account in HDFC and if possible Salary account makes it a little more easier. The DCB too is of the same level, but HDFC does not market it as 'Invitation Only'.

Experian score is of no value in India. Only CIBIL score matters. So check the CIBIL score first. Too many credit cards in hand will result in possible rejection for new credit cards.
Old 16th March 2020, 23:10   #22
Senior - BHPian

Love this thread! The magic of credit card rewards means I haven't paid for a single flight or hotel night in over 3 years. And this includes some rather nice trips.

DCB - 8 lakhs in FD. Infinia 11 lakhs in FD. This is assuming no prior history with the bank and no ITR. From personal experience.

DCB is now being given out easily enough. Infinia is slightly harder. The true test is getting both.

Axis Vistara is a good way to keep Vistara Gold, especially considering next year they're moving goalposts to revenue markers and it becomes tougher to retain status.

Citi Prestige used to be awesome - I've used the airport drop / pick up and meet / greet services in Singapore and Tokyo. Easily saved 20k each time. No wonder they discontinued it, and no reason to keep the card now. Might get the Axis Burgundy for this specific perk.

Amex Plat - as someone mentioned, the statuses are great. Using it for TIC Gold and a bunch of other things is really useful. The BOM lounge experience was great too, but now they don't allow Platinum card holders to the Centurion side anymore.
v1p3r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2020, 00:52   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Which of these cards give International Lounge Access?
Also if you own DCB, that one card gets you more than 1000 lounges worldwide. No needs to carry 10 cards for lounge access.
If you have PP, that's cool too.
The last I did an international trip was when I was in class 8 (so can't help you in that). But IIRC, HDFC Regalia/Business First do have lounge access at over 800+ Airports. PP (I take you're referring to Plaza Premium) and Travel Club are the 2 lounges I have been granted access for free for the cards I mentioned earlier.

Quote:
No Doubt. I was just giving more options. You pay for Burgundy and/or Sapphiro?
None actually! A 5L opening balance did the trick for Burgundy and we (my family) have been ICICI bank account holders for more than 20 years now. So we got free Sapphiro cards. (Both MasterCard and AMEX). AFAIK Saphhiro AMEX is approx 7500 INR per annum.

Quote:
Now Vistara Flies to Many destinations - You'd want to check it out. Also, did you see their latest B?
Will do, thanks.

Quote:
JP Miles had a controlling stake by Ethiad. And when Jet was down, mailer had come notifying that JP miles weren't going anywhere.
My traveling is only domestic for the time being, so I wouldn't have paid much attention to International offers.

Quote:
It's ok to be delusional too at times. But there's nothing such a PURE INVITATION for as long as you can get the hacks right.
If you have an acct in HDFC plus good relations, you might easily get the DCB.
I think I might be able to pull this off. But that neat way is WAYYY out of reach for me. I've seen my salary credited into my account only 17 times till now!! Will ask my Dad for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejas08 View Post
Infinia currently is being marketed as 'By Invitation Only'. However there are many hacks to get it. But definitely requires a Savings account in HDFC and if possible Salary account makes it a little more easier. The DCB too is of the same level, but HDFC does not market it as 'Invitation Only'.

Experian score is of no value in India. Only CIBIL score matters. So check the CIBIL score first. Too many credit cards in hand will result in possible rejection for new credit cards.
That's 770. 4 Debit cards, 4 Credit cards. Is it too much for a 5th card?

Also, which Standard Chartered CC do you, "Credit card exploiters", recommend for a heavy online shopper and frequent domestic flyer? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Cheers - NA
Old 17th March 2020, 14:49   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Love this thread! The magic of credit card rewards means I haven't paid for a single flight or hotel night in over 3 years. And this includes some rather nice trips.

I don't think HDFC allows one person to hold both DCB and Infinia simultaneously..

Last edited by ampere : 17th March 2020 at 15:22. Reason: trimmed quoted post
Old 17th March 2020, 16:02   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't think HDFC allows one person to hold both DCB and Infinia simultaneously..
They do, but you need a really good RM or a really heavy business / NAV relationship with them. I know people who hold both. I'll know in a few months if I can pull it off.
Old 21st March 2020, 15:52   #26
BHPian

Hey Guys,

I was looking at the American Express rewards redemption option and the 14,000 worth Taj voucher for 24K points, seems lucrative.

Has anyone used these vouchers? Are there any restrictions in using these?
Can we combine two such vouchers in one booking?

Thanks,
Ankur Gupta
Old 23rd March 2020, 16:10   #27
BHPian

I have used them. Yes, you can combine the vouchers, but call Taj Reservations and inform them.

There are no restrictions as such. I redeemed the voucher against room tariff at Taj Westend Bangalore and Taj Swarna Amritsar. I don't think you can redeem them for dining only spends, but may be able to utilize them against dining/room service tabs during your stay. You cannot club any other deals or discounts apart from those offered by Taj, such as Innercircle room upgrades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.nsit View Post
Hey Guys,

I was looking at the American Express rewards redemption option and the 14,000 worth Taj voucher for 24K points, seems lucrative.

Has anyone used these vouchers? Are there any restrictions in using these?
Can we combine two such vouchers in one booking?

Thanks,
Ankur Gupta

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 29th May 2020 at 00:44. Reason: Removing extra spaces
iamitp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 17:55   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitp View Post
I have used them. Yes, you can combine the vouchers, but call Taj Reservations and inform them.

There are no restrictions as such. I redeemed the voucher against room tariff at Taj Westend Bangalore and Taj Swarna Amritsar. I don't think you can redeem them for dining only spends, but may be able to utilize them against dining/room service tabs during your stay. You cannot club any other deals or discounts apart from those offered by Taj, such as Innercircle room upgrades.
Thanks for the information. So basically I was looking at 2 day all meals included package costing around 30K which otherwise would cost 35K.
So, if I am able to use 2 vouchers in one booking then I get the added benefit of package discount.
ank.nsit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2020, 00:18   #29
BHPian

Quote:

- Start paying CC bills using CRED. They have some really cool offers to choose from.

- Look out for point redemption/expiration status regularly. It's pretty simple. Either log in to your bank account or just read your monthly statement properly. Every statement has a section for it. I have seen many people (my relatives) who don't even know that such a thing exists.

Cheers- NA
I am very new to the world of CC and have a basic Millennia. Just wanted to know how safe is CRED? And by point redemption I checked and found something called Cash Points in my statement, but there is nothing in there in regards to redeeming the aforementioned, if you can shed some more light please..
Old 28th May 2020, 19:17   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindam.dino View Post
I am very new to the world of CC and have a basic Millennia. Just wanted to know how safe is CRED? And by point redemption I checked and found something called Cash Points in my statement, but there is nothing in there in regards to redeeming the aforementioned, if you can shed some more light please..
Pretty safe. Nothing has ever gone wrong in CRED. (As per my experience of over a year and paying CC bills for over 5-6 cards every month). In fact, I have reaped multiple benefits over time. Kunal Shah is an amazing guy.

I can't say specifically for Millennia, but Regalia Card's statement shows points status like this -

Name:  HDFC POINTS.PNG
Views: 924
Size:  31.8 KB

At the bottom of the page on which your monthly expenses end.

ICICI Sapphiro -

Name:  ICICI points.png
Views: 920
Size:  22.0 KB

At the left corner of the first page of the statement.

For redemption, log in to your Netbanking, go under Cards, Credit Cards, and there you'll see "Redeem Points" on the left-hand side navigation pane.

Cheers - NA

Most Viewed