Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2020, 00:08   #196
Senior - BHPian

Re: Effects of Coronavirus on the global economy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
Business performance falls into two categories - results / reasons. And Big Basket has got a lot of reasons for why they couldn't do this and why they couldn't do that with very little to show for results. Companies like Big Basket who have lots of reasons for not performing are referred to as incompetently managed.
So, is every company incompetent, since all of them have delivery issues (I have already posted proof)? Similarly, most govt orgs are incompetent, leading to shortages, random assaults, and people starving. In that case, I accept your postulate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
The employer should be blamed for his incompetence and delays leading to police actions on his employees. If he didn't have the permission he could asked his employees not to venture out instead of asking them to risk police brutality. This is another among his many failures.
I have literally pointed out the flip-flops in Delhi and Goa administrations. Also applies to other cities and regions, including where I live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioroaks
Something's cooking within Bigbasket. My feel is either they are struggling with inventory OR they are unable to get enough delivery guys on the ground. Both are acceptable considering the tough times but their communication is really screwed up.
This is a good point. Communication is everything. Especially in tough times, companies should be overcommunicating. There is no excuse for that, given there is a surfeit of communication channels and media available, both to customers and the general public.

Last edited by Aditya : 30th March 2020 at 13:14. Reason: Please do not be rude to fellow BHPians
v1p3r is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th March 2020, 07:53   #197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
So, is every company incompetent, since all of them have delivery issues (I have already posted proof)?
Take a look at posts on this forum and how other companies are doing better than Bigbasket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
I have literally pointed out the flip-flops in Delhi and Goa administrations. Also applies to other cities and regions, including where I live.
The point here is simple - don't send your employees out if you don't have permission.

Last edited by Aditya : 30th March 2020 at 13:18. Reason: Please do not be rude to fellow BHPians
AMG Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2020, 09:36   #198
Distinguished - BHPian

Brazil takes the Virus head-on!

Brazil Economy 'Can't Stop' for Coronavirus : Brazilian President

Quote:
the president calls for a "return to normality," questioning quarantine measures imposed by governors and some mayors across the giant South American country as an effective containment measure against the virus.
Quote:
"Some people want me to shut up, follow the protocols". "How many times does the doctor not follow the protocol?" "Let's face the virus with reality. It is life, we must all die one day."
Link

USA

President Trump extends social distancing: US residents will be encouraged to remain in their homes and avoid contact with others until April 30. Trump said that he hopes the country can be back to normal by June 1.

Link1

Last edited by volkman10 : 30th March 2020 at 09:48.
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th March 2020, 13:06   #199
AZT
BHPian

A quarter of MSMEs may shut shop if the lockdown persists
19% to 43% of the MSMEs may disappear if the crisis persists 4 or 8 weeks.

Effects of Coronavirus on the economy-msme.jpg
Source: https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/74880940.cms

Last edited by AZT : 30th March 2020 at 13:07.
AZT is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th March 2020, 15:44   #200
Distinguished - BHPian

Samurai posted on the farming thread about effects on farming.

From what I hear, the villagers near Bangalore are going about their routines and working on the farms for on-going stuff. New activities are low. Dairy supplies quite normal - since this is collected by govt /govt contract vehicles. But material movement is restricted that produce is being let in, though other materials are not (raw materials of any type for farms). In these villages, current stocks are being used being routed through personal contacts. Fodder remains a concern for many with live-stock.

I hope government allows some movement to those who can at least prove with basic documents.

Last edited by condor : 30th March 2020 at 15:45.
condor is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 30th March 2020, 17:18   #201
Distinguished - BHPian

Wimbledon will be canceled: German tennis official

Quote:
The Wimbledon tennis championships will be canceled this week, according to German Tennis Federation (DTB) vice-president Dirk Hordorff.

Tournament organizer the All England Club (AELTC) will hold an emergency meeting Wednesday and is expected to make a final decision on the grand slam event, which is set to begin on June 29.

Link
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2020, 17:37   #202
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Wimbledon will be canceled: German tennis official
Seriously, one look at the sports sections of news-papers makes one wonder what do they smoke. In a crisis time like this, they are talking of the fate of WTC, W20-20 championships, and the like.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2020, 18:00   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioraks View Post
Sorry to say guys but Bigbasket goofed up big time here. For the first three days of lockdown, they blamed it on the state government.
This BB has let me down BIG time since last 5-6 days. I had placed an order on 26th and again on 29th. Both the time, they cancelled the order at the last minute. As I don’t have cash at home, I pre-paid the order both the times (around 6k per order). The problem with their cancellation is, because of their stupid policy, they will refund the amount to wallet by default. We then have to send an email for them to move that amount from wallet to original source of payment. Now, because of the current situation, they are not doing this also. I understand that everyone is facing the issue during this lockdown period, but how you respond to the crisis defines the character of these companies. I have been shopping with BB since many years and I am really disappointed with their service during this lockdown period.
kavensri is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th March 2020, 19:29   #204
Distinguished - BHPian

VW Group Losing $2.2 Billion Per Week due to the Pandemic.

Quote:
VW Group CEO Herbert Diess confessed that his company might have to cut jobs due to the coronavirus pandemic, as the carmaker is burning through about 2 billion euros ($2.2 billion) per week.

Demand in China is picking up again but production is only at half the level prior to the crisis

Passenger car sales were down 40 percent in March.

For now, Volkswagen is sticking to its forecast of paying a dividend but it was looking closely at all investment and spending needs

Link
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2020, 19:51   #205
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Seriously, one look at the sports sections of news-papers makes one wonder what do they smoke. In a crisis time like this, they are talking of the fate of WTC, W20-20 championships, and the like.
Hey, the sports correspondents have NOTHING to do so let them write about this, no harm. In fact, the desperation level is such that there is live twitter commentary going on...... of the cricket world cup finals starting 1992.
Eddy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2020, 21:29   #206
BHPian

Telangana Govt. has announced about 10%-60% cut in salary of its employees depending on the employee class. Civil servants face a 60% cut of salary and 4th class employees face a 10% cut of salary. All other employees and all other pensioners face a 50% cut in salary.

No clarity on how long these salary cuts will last.

Will have to wait and see how the employees and pensioners react. If the private sector also takes cue and follows the suit now, situation becomes quickly gloomy.

https://telanganatoday.com/slashing-...ment-employees

Last edited by deetee : 30th March 2020 at 21:31. Reason: added news link
deetee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2020, 21:39   #207
BHPian

Not intending this to be a political question, but do you think this recession will impact Chinese brands globally? China suppressed information about this virus early on and allowed its citizens to travel, while restricting internal borders.

Will this influence people buying MG Hectors and Huawei or Xiaomi phones?
Nissan1180 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2020, 21:42   #208
Distinguished - BHPian

Can this situation help India in the long run ?

About 200 American companies are seeking to move their manufacturing base from China to India post the general elections, a top US-based advocacy group has said, seeking an alternative to China as a base.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/69068781.cms

However, what I want to see is Indian companies working towards self-dependency for input/raw materials than depending on China.
condor is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 30th March 2020, 21:53   #209
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
...In a crisis time like this, they are talking of the fate of WTC, W20-20 championships, and the like.
To be fair to the organizers and those involved with such events, they're sitting on HUGE contractual and financial liabilities if these events are canceled, liabilities that no government bailout will cover, and no emergency is going to stop the market from wanting to cover its losses.

Sport is not, and should not, be a priority right now, but the effect on world sport, esp. on the already meagerly funded small fry lower down each sport's food chain, is going to be as devastating as any other part of the economy, and potentially get no respite through bailouts.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 30th March 2020 at 21:54.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2020, 21:57   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
Will this influence people buying MG Hectors and Huawei or Xiaomi phones?
Personally, I would have no issues buying their products. However, I believe some aspects of globalization will be severely affected and many countries will look to improve their own manufacturing industries in a manner the reliance of China (or one specific country) gets reduced.

There is also growing mistrust of China the world over. From this source -

Quote:
China is not helping at this point out of "solidarity". The Chinese regime is now seeking to portray itself as the world's savior. Beijing, at the beginning of the pandemic, did not care about the lives of even its own people: it was busy censoring the news.

Had China responded to the outbreak three weeks earlier than it did, cases of coronavirus could have been reduced by 95%, according to a study by the University of Southampton. In those three weeks, China was busy hiding the truth.

It is the cover-up of the Communist Party for the first two months or so which created conditions to generate a global pandemic

We in the West thought that a modernizing China with a rising GDP would also democratize and come to respect transparency, pluralism and human rights. Instead, the mirage turned into a disaster as we watched China become even more of a "totalitarian state".

"It is time", stated the American columnist, Marc A. Thiessen, "to immunize our economy and national security from our dependence on a deceitful regime".

Chinese companies supply the US with more than 90% of its antibiotics, vitamin C and ibuprofen, as well as 70% of acetaminophen and 40-45% of heparin.

China's leaders are probably hoping that you cannot challenge a powerhouse that is selling you most of your vital medications.
Miyata is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks