Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2020, 22:07   #631
Senior - BHPian

Re: Effects of Coronavirus on the economy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
Overall, it appears, except for few special cases, the idea of UBI is likely to lead ourselves shooting in the foot!
The sectors that are worse affected are staff in transport, travel industries; teachers/staff in schools especially kindergarten, training centers; events, entertainment artists. Unless UBI is initiated for these folks, the future is bleak for them. At least till these industries are permitted to open, they would need assistance. The management in these industries has already sent home the contractual staff & the permanent ones are being retained with pay cuts.

PS: I can quote a few instances.
1) A classical dance teacher with no income to sustain was ready to do dishes, cleaning.
2) A Montessori teacher trying door-to-door selling.
3) Fitness trainer selling vegetables

These are not isolated incidents. Also nothing against the unskilled jobs, the skilled ones are trying out. The problem is the unskilled labor space is saturated.
msdivy is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 9th July 2020, 13:39   #632
AZT
BHPian

Defense firms lobby to ensure COVID-19 costs do not dent Pentagon budget

Quote:
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Chief executives of eight defense companies including Lockheed Martin Corp and Raytheon Technologies Corp have asked the U.S. government to ensure that billions of dollars are not taken from the Pentagon’s budget to shore up firms hit by COVID-19 without being replaced with new funds.
Pentagon funds were given to defense companies to pay the salaries of highly skilled workers, preventing them from being laid off or poached by better-funded competitors.
Quote:
Defense industry analyst Jim McAleese has estimated $12 billion to $15 billion will be needed in the next stimulus to cover the industries extensive coronavirus-related bills.
Read More: https://in.reuters.com/article/healt...-idINKBN24A0GJ

Last edited by AZT : 9th July 2020 at 13:40.
Old 9th July 2020, 15:01   #633
Distinguished - BHPian

A small dairy owner was saved by a doctor in Patiala before he could self immolate himself. The owner was troubled due to fear of shutting down of his business. The doctor is a BHPian, Dr. Mohammed Parvez Farooqi, goes by handle XRoaders_001. Hats off to him.

Link
BoneCollector is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 9th July 2020, 15:28   #634
BHPian

Planners and photographers struggle with uncertainty in ‘big fat’ wedding industry

Quote:
But with stay-at-home orders in place for the longest, these service providers are now spending their days navigating every wedding planner’s worst nightmare: the mechanics of postponement.

These are complicated guesses about how to adapt without their expected revenue stream, rescheduling dates, as well as last-minute changes of venue, which often span continents. All of which raises a simple but pertinent question: How will the pandemic change weddings in the years to come?
LINK
Old 13th July 2020, 21:25   #635
Team-BHP Support

I'm noticing something sad on the streets of Bangalore. Ola/Uber cabbies and autorickshaw drivers are trying to supplement their income by selling fruits & vegetables, snacks, groceries and household goods (buckets, broom etc) using their vehicles as a mobile shop.

Even without Coronavirus, a significant percentage of non-salaried people (self-employed, small business owners, electricians etc) have money issues. Covid-19 would have made them even worse.

Every fortnight, we see reports of actors and actresses committing suicide. Many small time actors here in Bangalore have also setup Gym and fitness centers. It is a double whammy for such individuals.
SmartCat is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 21:39   #636
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
I'm noticing something sad on the streets of Bangalore. Ola/Uber cabbies and autorickshaw drivers are trying to supplement their income by selling fruits & vegetables, snacks, groceries and household goods (buckets, broom etc) using their vehicles as a mobile shop.

Even without Coronavirus, a significant percentage of non-salaried people (self-employed, small business owners, electricians etc) have money issues. Covid-19 would have made them even worse.

Every fortnight, we see reports of actors and actresses committing suicide. Many small time actors here in Bangalore have also setup Gym and fitness centers. It is a double whammy for such individuals.

Yes Noticed that today at BMEL gate. It is so sad. Apart from that the numbers of business which has shut shop on Jivan Bima Nagar road alone is huge. To-let signs every where. Professionals from outside Bangalore leaving will compound the problem. Everyone in my team who is not from Bangalore has left for their hometowns. We are in for a rough ride.

-Ijeet
ijeet is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th July 2020, 09:21   #637
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijeet View Post
To-let signs every where.
And yet the support for these multiple, short-term lockdowns continues among those of us who (think we) have the resources to sit this out till a vaccine arrives!

Am pretty sure that mirage too will evaporate soon. While people like me might still have a job and be able to work from home, our clients are certainly suffering because their businesses are in the real world. Only a matter of time before they decide to cut back (several already have) and then guess who gets affected? Wonder how many will talk about 'lives being more important than livelihood' and 'if we have life then we can think about the economy' once that happens. Especially since medical professionals are also saying now that these short-term lockdowns won't even do much to stop the virus spread.

I really feel for those businesses who kept hope during the first two months of lockdown, continued to pay their employees, brought them back, and started up again complying with the re-open regulations. Only for this lock/unlock cycle to start again.

A friend of mine started his business about 7 years ago. Gave up a top position in a brand name company in Singapore to return to Bangalore and open. During the first lockdown itself, since his business depends on people in close proximity to each other, he decided this was going nowhere and wound up. At that time we tried to persuade him that the lockdown was temporary and he should just remain patient for a few months and start again. Now, it certainly looks like he made the correct decision. Who will trust the announcement that this week-long lockdown will not be extended when they announced it immediately after they announced that there would not be a lockdown at all?!

We're in for a rough ride indeed, but at this point it's starting to become self-inflicted.

Last edited by am1m : 14th July 2020 at 09:40.
am1m is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th July 2020, 10:17   #638
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
And yet the support for these multiple, short-term lockdowns continues among those of us who (think we) have the resources to sit this out till a vaccine arrives!

Am pretty sure that mirage too will evaporate soon. While people like me might still have a job and be able to work from home, our clients are certainly suffering because their businesses are in the real world. Only a matter of time before they decide to cut back (several already have) and then guess who gets affected? Wonder how many will talk about 'lives being more important than livelihood' and 'if we have life then we can think about the economy' once that happens. Especially since medical professionals are also saying now that these short-term lockdowns won't even do much to stop the virus spread.
+100. We have had these discussions since May in the lockdown thread. People just refuse to see the big picture. They want lockdowns since they hide behind this facade called WFH and get paid every month. Funny thing in my apartment, these folks want to stay away from offices for fear of Covid but want their maids to come to work even during this week long lockdown.

Once the larger businesses start cutting budgets and outsourcing, I wonder who these guys will be working for from home!! I am willing to bet these same guys will then start playing the victim card of how companies are letting go of people.
m8002? is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th July 2020, 10:19   #639
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Who will trust the announcement that this week-long lockdown will not be extended when they announced it immediately after they announced that there would not be a lockdown at all?!

We're in for a rough ride indeed, but at this point it's starting to become self-inflicted.
Could not agree with you more on this. I was voicing this exact sentiment when the lockdown announcement came on Saturday evening. Till then, all of them were vociferously stating that there is no question of lockdown, and then they do a volte face and say quite the opposite. Even in today's Times headlines, BSY has apparently said there will be no extension of this week long lockdown - I on the other hand am pretty sure and am mentally prepared for at least two weeks. Government has no clue what they are doing- there is no plan of action, no clarity or direction in their own minds and everything is a complete knee jerk reaction as of now, trying to emulate other states and hoping for the best. This lockdown will do precious little other than delaying the spurt in cases by a few days.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 14th July 2020 at 10:21.
arindambasu13 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th July 2020, 07:49   #640
PGA
BHPian

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-to-raze-crops

Certain things are going to change with us too here in India atleast for the next few years unless some miracle drug completely takes away the corona fear. Eating habits are going to change and what seems true for US is likely to be true for us as well. And what is written in this article is the way the things may progress it not only portends tough time for restaurants but big cos in the processed food industry as well. Looking at positives I see local producer benefitting, kind of atma nirbhar local area and opportunities for shifting for jobs displaced.

Last edited by PGA : 17th July 2020 at 07:52.
PGA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2020, 11:13   #641
Team-BHP Support

The chap who's been delivering my big basket orders recently is a middle-aged, well-spoken guy who is (or rather was) pretty obviously a middle-class white-collar professional in the recent past. Not the only example I've met in the last couple months either.

More and more of us are going to open doors (or answer calls for gate pickup if living in apartments) and feel like we walked up to a mirror, and that's until we gradually end up on the other side.

As to the powers-that-be, and I giggle (ironically) at my not-so-smart automotive quip, someone needs to tell them a car can't be driven just with the brakes. Someone needs to get at the wheel and start maneuvering.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 17th July 2020 at 11:21.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th July 2020, 11:47   #642
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
As to the powers-that-be, and I giggle (ironically) at my not-so-smart automotive quip, someone needs to tell them a car can't be driven just with the brakes.
I'm not sure we can blame the authorities anymore really. Yes, the center has done it's bit to propagate the belief that a simple lock down is the best solution and now the state governments are following that lead. But I think the majority of people like us are also in favour of these measures. I was under the impression that people will start getting fed up of these types of lockdowns (not enough testing happening, very slow ramping up of facilities during, and with multiple exemptions for movement during the lockdown anyway) by July, especially when they don't seem to be working. But outside of some voices on forums like these, the majority of middle/upper middle-class and above people seem to still think a blunt lockdown is an effective tool. So this will continue for some time yet I guess. (I think the title of the thread should really be 'Effects of the multiple/perpetual lockdowns on the economy'. IMHO, it's not the Coronavirus that's doing the most harm anymore!)

Last edited by am1m : 17th July 2020 at 11:53.
am1m is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th July 2020, 12:08   #643
BHPian

The lockdown in effect is hardly a lockdown.

'Essentials' can open means that grocery shops, vegetables, fruits, milk, drinking water, tanker water supply, chemists (and many more) are open.

To ensure that these function and people availing these means 50% to 60%
of people are out.

Restaurants are open. Which means Swiggy and Zomato guys are moving around.

And scores of people need to visit hospitals or clinics or labs to attend to non-covid needs.

And there are hundreds of policemen on the streets trying to ensure that the 'lockdown' is complied with.

Adding to the policemen are plenty of volunteers.

Invariably there are some people out for no reason, joy rides, breaking rules just for fun etc.

Which leaves us with probably a 10% lockdown .
Nalin1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2020, 12:09   #644
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
...to propagate the belief that a simple lock down is the best solution...
Not belief, crippling paranoia. Critical difference.

One can revisit beliefs and try to change when faced with evidence to the contrary, difficult as it may be. Mortal fear doesn't work the same way. Triggers 'here & now' survival instincts at the cost of everything else.

Quote:
I was under the impression that people will start getting fed up of these types of lockdowns (not enough testing happening, very slow ramping up of facilities during, and with multiple exemptions for movement during the lockdown anyway) by July, especially when they don't seem to be working....
Plenty of people can see it's not working, but we're all now stuck with a 'could be worse without a lockdown' mindset because our collective first reaction, top-down, was paranoia, and anything that means 'not dying today' seems like a good idea. Reasonable for individuals to react that way, nobody has a death-wish, but the authorities should've taken an evidence-based approach instead of continuing to stoke the paranoia because it's the easiest thing to do in the age of social media.

Now even the most reasonable person you can find will have a constantly nagging fear in their minds. A little paranoia is a good thing, that's how we survive, but not if it renders us static. We're driving downhill with just brakes, pumping them furiously. Matter of when, not if they'll give out and necessitate we learn to drive without them.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 17th July 2020 at 12:17.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th July 2020, 12:13   #645
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was under the impression that people will start getting fed up of these types of lockdowns (not enough testing happening, very slow ramping up of facilities during, and with multiple exemptions for movement during the lockdown anyway) by July, especially when they don't seem to be working. But outside of some voices on forums like these, the majority of middle/upper middle-class and above people seem to still think a blunt lockdown is an effective tool. So this will continue for some time yet I guess.
People are scared of the devil called 'corona'. They do not how to ward off the devil, which is even remotely not their expertise. They trust their Govt, which they believe have has bank of money and virus experts to fight the devil. If the Govt decides 'lockdown', they have no choice.
msdivy is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks