Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2020, 08:27   #91
Senior - BHPian

re: Many parts of India are in curfew

And while we despair about the weirdos and crack pots that fill our media headlines - politicians, starlets and even sportspeople, a la Mary Kom and her hilariously irresponsible statement a couple of days ago, we can take heart in the fact that globally, there is a stupidity pandemic as big as Covid, bordering on the absurd and in some case, feeling like being a Chaplin movie.

For instance now that US Senator Rand Paul is infected, a republican Senator said - "It is a different ball game now". Seriously?!! I can understand thinking it, but it takes a special kind of stupidity to say this aloud. On top of the stories of Senators that sold shares just before the market crashed.

Or the Chaplinesque comedy of the German doctor that gave Merkel a pneumonia vaccine shot on Friday, tested positive soon after for Covid, and now Merkel is in quarantine.

Trump of course gets a chapter, even a whole book, to his bull in a china shop blundering around. One should be seriously worried because the man has his finger on the nuclear missiles button; were it not for that he would be merely massively entertaining.

The president of Brazil also deserves a chapter - now that he has tested negative, he is back in denial.

In India therefore there is nothing for us to be particularly ashamed of, with the antics of our bunch of clowns and comedians.
Sawyer is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 08:32   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
What car are you driving? The Kia Carnival or some other Hyundai?
If that is indeed the case, then I guess the mod-team can use this locked-in period to clear the backlog of official reviews.
samaspire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 08:36   #93
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
What car are you driving? The Kia Carnival or some other Hyundai?
Kia Carnival - check this post (Kia Grand Carnival MPV coming in 2020. Edit: Launched @ 24.95 lakhs). Put almost 300 km on her over the weekend (Lonavla on Saturday). Empty roads & highways, so a bit better testing .

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
If that is indeed the case, then I guess the mod-team can use this locked-in period to clear the backlog of official reviews.
Our work is full on . The entire team is working at 100% right now.
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 09:11   #94
BHPian

Folks, please help me understand the on ground situation. My wife and daughter are in Mangalore at my in-laws place and need to fly to Singapore (haven't booked the tickets yet), my parents live in Bangalore. Which is the best mode to travel from Mangalore to Bangalore keeping the current situation in mind?

The need for the travel is that we all live in Singapore and my daughters school has started today after a term break. With Singapore govt. introducing a mandatory 15 days self quarantine for all incoming travelers, the further I delay their travel to SG, the longer my daughter is going to miss her school.

I was considering having them travel by taxi, we know a trusted driver and my dad can travel to Mangalore in the taxi to pick them up. OR Would flight be a better option? I was worried that domestic passengers may not have same levels of scrutiny as international travelers. My wife is worried that they may encounter vigilante mobs or criminals posing as quarantine officers on the road.

While I am reading alot of 'news', not sure the on ground reality, your advise will be greatly helpful.
Old 23rd March 2020, 10:29   #95
BHPian

The Janta Curfew went well at our place. Didn't see a single soul except family for the whole day except when the clapping started at 5. Everyone stayed in their balcony & clapped. The sky was irresistibly beautiful.

Many parts of India are in curfew-sunset.jpg

Cheers,

Pawan
PapaBravo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 10:35   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
Folks, please help me understand the on ground situation. My wife and daughter are in Mangalore at my in-laws place and need to fly to Singapore (haven't booked the tickets yet), my parents live in Bangalore. Which is the best mode to travel from Mangalore to Bangalore keeping the current situation in mind?
The airports are the worst place to be at, at the moment. The highest chance of catching the virus is at the airport.

The best thing to do now is to stay absolutely put. Mangalore has some of the best healthcare facilities, so its a no brainer.

Ubers are atleast off the road until 31 March and i expect it to be extended to April 15 easily.

Sec 144 imposed in many places. I don't think it makes any sense to travel intra city, let alone across countries, when people aren't even allowed out of their homes.

In this time, keep your daughter's life and wife's sanity top of mind, not something like school. And for heaven's sake dont put your dad who is probably a senior citizen out on the streets.

Last edited by Red Liner : 23rd March 2020 at 10:37.
Red Liner is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 10:41   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Folks, please help me understand the on ground situation.
My immediate suggestion would be in line with @Red Liner - not to travel at all unless absolutely necessary. But that's your call.

If needed to travel, road over flight.
Highways are empty and without any incidents. Till yesterday when there wasn't a lockdown in Karnataka but the Junta curfew, a few cops were patrolling and sropping/checking local bikers and trucks but not preventing movement otherwise, across Karnataka. I had to travel yesterday and hence the feedback.

I would advice a direct road drive, nonstop home to airport than a domestic flight. Carry enough documents with regards to the school/education as you would definitely be stopped by checkpoints and it'll be up to the convincing power of your family vs the cops at the checkpoint.

If stopped, a calm explanation works much better. Also go with the expectation that there might be a situation (lower probability) where they would not allow your car to pass and tell you to go back or delay till they get feedback from their seniors.

Edit: you would need to limit to less than 4 ppl because of section 144. Will let others comment on that.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 23rd March 2020 at 10:42.
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 10:43   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was considering having them travel by taxi, we know a trusted driver and my dad can travel to Mangalore in the taxi to pick them up. OR Would flight be a better option? I was worried that domestic passengers may not have same levels of scrutiny as international travelers. My wife is worried that they may encounter vigilante mobs or criminals posing as quarantine officers on the road.
State Govt. announced yesterday that there will be screening for domestic passengers, however that doesn't necessarily reduce the risk.
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/74761532.cms
Old 23rd March 2020, 11:00   #99
BHPian

I felt like Chennai city went to Hibernate mode. It was completely silent. Went for a usual walk by 6 AM and wahh.. its pure calm. Attaching some pics of our street (Nanganallur - Chennai) by 6:30 AM.

We wish our government schedule this curfew at least once in a month. This reduces polution and makes us have quality family time.
Attached Thumbnails
Many parts of India are in curfew-whatsapp-image-20200322-9.10.49-am-1.jpeg  

Many parts of India are in curfew-whatsapp-image-20200322-9.10.49-am.jpeg  

ash22 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 11:01   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafanboy View Post
A doctor from AIIMs said something like this on ndtv " This virus has a ego problem. It wont come to your house unless you go out and invite it". Stay at home ,stay safe.
Well said & a good quote. Made a banner for the same.

Many parts of India are in curfew-banner.png
purohitanuj is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 11:12   #101
BHPian

I live in a small city in Assam which is isolated quite a bit from mainland Assam which in turn I quite a bit isolated from mainland India. Even here we had lots of clapping and utensils bangings to show our support.
The city is in lockdown mode with only essential commodities (drugs, daily groceries) opening up. Everything else is closed. Went to buy medicines early morning and not a soul on roads.
Felt like God wiped away humanity from the face of earth. I hate to say this but what a beautiful feeling it was.
Heart_Revs is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 11:49   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
I would advice a direct road drive, nonstop home to airport than a domestic flight. Carry enough documents with regards to the school/education as you would definitely be stopped by checkpoints and it'll be up to the convincing power of your family vs the cops at the checkpoint.

Edit: you would need to limit to less than 4 ppl because of section 144. Will let others comment on that.
This is exactly the problem my wife is worried about. She is scared to talk to cops, hence negotiation is completely ruled out. She has all the documents that they live in SG and my daughters school ID etc. I was thinking that flight tickets in hand will be helpful to convey the need for travel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
In this time, keep your daughter's life and wife's sanity top of mind, not something like school. And for heaven's sake dont put your dad who is probably a senior citizen out on the streets.
This is the reason i was on the fence all this time. The way things are going if the lockdown further escalates my daughter may lose one complete term (2.5 months). Hence evaluating my options. Would never request my dad to travel if my wife could have managed the above mentioned scenarios alone.
mac187 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 12:13   #103
BHPian

Quote:
This is exactly the problem my wife is worried about. She is scared to talk to cops, hence negotiation is completely ruled out. She has all the documents that they live in SG and my daughters school ID etc. I was thinking that flight tickets in hand will be helpful to convey the need for travel.

This is the reason i was on the fence all this time. The way things are going if the lockdown further escalates my daughter may lose one complete term (2.5 months). Hence evaluating my options. Would never request my dad to travel if my wife could have managed the above mentioned scenarios alone.

Please just don't think about making them to travel anywhere. Don't even discuss this option with them. Wait until March 31st. They might relax some restrictions on the travel as this cannot go on forever. This week is critical from preparedness point of view. Section 144 is inforce almost in every place. Right now, nothing is important than staying at home and your School in Singapore will certainly understand this.
hondafanboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 12:17   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by callvvijay View Post
Went for my usual walk/jog today morning in the streets of Nanganallur, Chennai.
Glad to know we have a BHPian from Nanganallur. Cheers. I stay near Post Office. And yeah, the Janata Curfew did have some silver lining after all.
vshankarhere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 12:21   #105
r.K
BHPian

We all contributed our bit towards appreciating our heroes-sans-capes. I wonder how they felt when they heard the whole city applauding for them? Especially those working at hospitals. Any here who can share their experience? Would be lovely to hear their thoughts!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks